Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

ALDI Food store

Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 31 to 60 of 64
stricken_detective

• Total Posts: 2330
Re:ALDI Food store Mon, 03/16/09 12:48 AM (permalink)
MellowRoast

I've been but won't return.   They sell mostly ALDI house brands (probably 80%), and I'd rather take a beating than buy them.   Also, paying extra for bags and deposits for shopping carts is a hassle I'd rather not go through.

I already have to stop at 2 or 3 different markets to get the brands I want, and I don't relish adding another one.

The Aldi house brands are made in the same factories as the name brands you are going to 3 different stores for. Only the labels are different. I bring my own bags to Pick N Save & Sentry, so there is no change there. As for the cart, I always take my cart back to the store, so it's one extra step to get the quarter back.

For me it's annoying as well to have to go to 3 different stores to get the things I want. Sentry has the tea I like & the low sodium microwave popcorn. Pick N Save has most everything else & Aldi's has staples.

I would not purchase paper towels, tp, plastic bags, facial tissue, cleaning products, shampoo, etc @ Aldi's. I'm picky like that.

Any fresh or frozen veggies or fruit is good. Their cheeses are good, they have bagged spinach & milk & now they even have soy milk. Their cereals are good & the one thing I love there is these frozen salmon fillets. Just the right size & very good. I would use the produce within 3 days. You can get a lot of food for 30 bucks when you're in a pinch financially, and you can do a lot better there if you are not watching your sodium.

NYPIzzaNut

• Total Posts: 3127
    Re:ALDI Food store Mon, 03/16/09 12:54 AM (permalink)
    One thing that has surprised me is that our canned mushrooms now come from India and China!

brittneal

• Total Posts: 1265
      Re:ALDI Food store Mon, 03/16/09 1:08 AM (permalink)
      Youll find most stuff with a label that saus Aldi Foods Batavia Il.  I dont think they are all processed there.  Its probaly a supply nexus.
      We got 2 5oz cold water lobster tails for 10 bux a couple of weeks ago,  They were excellent.  I also like the collasl shrimp they have at times.  Either bacon wrapped or a larger shrimp thats fanned on the shell like a lobster.
      They aalso have the TGIF bacon wrapped scallops.

mjambro

• Total Posts: 419
        Re:ALDI Food store Mon, 03/16/09 8:42 AM (permalink)
        It's a shame many apparently can't take advantage of the low pricing at Aldi's.  Ours is located on a main road of strip malls, next to a Lowes where it's easy to access with minimal concerns about crime (less than a typical mall lot).   Taking two boxes for packing is no big deal & saves on the cost / recycling of bags.  While most items are their own brand, we've found most to be equal (and sometimes better) than branded - at geatly reduced cost.  Their produce is the same as chain grocers, but again at substantially better pricing, although we've not been all that pleased with their fresh meats. 

Their frozen shrimp is a good deal, especially considering most all chain grocer shrimp is previously frozen.  Our local Aldi's beats even Super Walmart pricing.   A once-a-month stop to stock up on staples (alternating with Walmart) has helped keep our grocery costs comparable to lower vs. past years while alternating between two chain  grocers for meats, bread and other preferred items not found at Walmart or Aldi's.

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
          Re:ALDI Food store Mon, 03/16/09 9:21 AM (permalink)
          brittneal

Youll find most stuff with a label that saus Aldi Foods Batavia Il.  I dont think they are all processed there.  Its probaly a supply nexus.

I live about 2 miles from the Aldi headquarters in Batavia, Il. It is a warehouse and their corporate offices.

jimcor

• Total Posts: 148
            Re:ALDI Food store Tue, 03/31/09 5:17 PM (permalink)
            Bought the Aldi's "Carlini" extra virgin olive oil, I'm no EVOO expert, but this one tasted pretty darn good, bit of bitterness on the finish, but many olive oils have that taste. Anywho, for $4.29 a real bargain for the 500ml, little under 17 ounce, bottle.

An Australian site rated it 'good' (Aldi is worldwide) and that was just under 'vg' the top spot.

Yeah, I'll buy it again.
            <message edited by jimcor on Tue, 03/31/09 5:26 PM>

Sundancer7

Re:ALDI Food store Wed, 04/1/09 5:50 AM (permalink)
              ALDI's just opened a new store in Knoxville and out of curiosity, I drove about 20 miles to explore what they had.  I have seen other ALDI's in other cities and this one seemed to be a cookie cut of the others that I have visited.  Same concept exactly.

They sorta remind me of a huge convenient store except they have much cheaper prices and somewhat of a limited inventory especially with fruits and veggies.

Pretty obvious that they are a German store as a good portion of their products are advertised in both German and English.

If I lived close to one, I would use them due to some of their prices but they are too distanced for my personal use.

Paul E. Smith
              knoxville, TN 

Wabbit

• Total Posts: 477
                Re:ALDI Food store Wed, 04/1/09 3:00 PM (permalink)
                I like Aldi's. They have been expanding in this area quite a bit. I don't mind recycling bags, or renting a cart. The prices are lower, and the stores around here are clean and the staff helpfull. The store brands are hit or miss, tried a few, Tortilla chips=miss Hummus=hit. Often they have name brand products for a week or two. The locations here go so far a computers, kitchen appliances,and a floral assortment. Sure you have to go elsewhere for a good deal of your groceries, I don't mind the savings I get there, and the "suprise" goodies you run across. This week they had German Easter treats.

SeamusD

• Total Posts: 939
                  Re:ALDI Food store Thu, 04/2/09 10:58 AM (permalink)
                  I shop there on occasion, we have them all over the place in central NY. There are three I know of that I can drive to in under 10 minutes. None of them are in what I would call "bad" neighborhoods either, mainly in areas with other grocery stores, malls, etc.

I really like their sloppy joe mix, and their bread items are comparable to many of the other grocery store brands, but less expensive.

kozel

• Total Posts: 810
                    Re:ALDI Food store Wed, 08/26/09 12:33 PM (permalink)
                    I hear they are coming to Long Island (Queens).

David_NYC

• Total Posts: 2162
                      Re:ALDI Food store Wed, 08/26/09 1:05 PM (permalink)
                      kozel,
                      That is great news. From time to time, Aldi brings in some really good European food products, not the stuff the gourmet stores sell but the same items as sold in European food markets. Do you have any more specifics?

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
                        Re:ALDI Food store Wed, 08/26/09 1:23 PM (permalink)
                        how are their parkview smoked and regular brats? They have them at our local Grocery Outlet right now for $1.99 a package.

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
                          Re:ALDI Food store Wed, 08/26/09 2:33 PM (permalink)
                          Maybe Aldi's has changed, but I stopped going years ago, because they basically only sold pre-packed foods - not much in terms of fresh ingredients. Since I love to cook, Aldi's was not my thing. But, it was a great place for cheap frozen dinners a la Swansons, but with Aldi's brand name.

mjambro

• Total Posts: 419
                            Re:ALDI Food store Thu, 08/27/09 10:02 AM (permalink)
                            While Aldi's does have a limited selection, we find them a worthwhile stop about every 2-3 weeks to take advantage of their low pricing on milk, eggs, frozen shrimp (all shrimp in NE is frozen at some point) and well as selected fresh fruits & vegetables (lettuce, carrots, pepers, potatoes, watermelons, strawberries, pineapples, etc) and some canned fruit (their pears & peaches are actually decent, especially for the price).  We've not tried many of their packaged foods (we tend to stick with fresh) and don't care for their type breads, but we have liked their refrigerated baby back ribs and find their taco chips & fresh salsa to be decent (far superior to Tostitios, etc), again at a great price.

MilwFoodlovers

• Total Posts: 3090
                              Re:ALDI Food store Thu, 08/27/09 10:48 AM (permalink)
                              I made their "Joy of Cooking" Fettuccine Carbonara the other night and it was as good as any I've ever tasted anywhere. I also enjoy their guacamole.

Michael_Germany

• Total Posts: 505
                                Re:ALDI Food store Thu, 08/27/09 2:25 PM (permalink)
                                Greetings!

On a regular basis I buy at the local ALDI:

Bread / Toast (Daily fresh)
                                Beer (Maternus Pilsener)
                                Frozen Fish & Seafood
                                Canned Food
                                Irish salted Butter
                                Frozen Chicken Wings
                                Dutch Gouda Cheese
                                Ice Cream
                                Candy
                                Sometimes Non-Food (Digital Pocket Camera 10MP, Kitchen-Hardware, etc...)
                                Never fresh Eggs, Fruits, Vegetables... (Weekly Market)

ALDI Germany North:
                                http://www.aldi-essen.de/

Regards

Michael

P.S. The local ALDI is located in the middle of our town, no crime area here, sometimes 1-2 winos near the trolly stand, but they are harmless, waiting for a little donation, or a bottle of beer, pitiful folks...

50 % of the ALDI customers come with their bicycles, like me, using the car for short distances, for a small purchase, is not very popular here in Germany, its bicycle area here...

<message edited by Michael_Germany on Thu, 08/27/09 2:49 PM>

BJames

• Total Posts: 30
                                  Re:ALDI Food store Thu, 08/27/09 4:15 PM (permalink)
                                  The Aldi brownie mix is the best, better than any name brands I have tried. Its what got me shopping there in the first place. One of the people at work would always bring in her "special" brownies and people would beg for the recipe. One afternoon during a moment of weakness she confided that the brownies were made using the Aldi mix. They also have some pretty good low fat/low calorie items. Just look for their private label healthy choice stuff. I find it’s a great stop for staples like flour, butter, milk, cereal and eggs for other items I still shop at a regular grocery stores or Trader Joes.

MikeS.

• Total Posts: 5357
                                    • Roadfood Insider
                                    Re:ALDI Food store Thu, 08/27/09 4:46 PM (permalink)
                                    I found we have an Aldi's about 15 miles away in the next county. Next time I head that way I'll stop and check them out.

Michael_Germany

Re:ALDI Food store Thu, 08/27/09 5:01 PM (permalink)
                                      Greetings!

All the bread, toast, cake, the fresh stuff the local ALDI sells, is baked just 11 kilometers from here, in our neighboring town Westerstede. The quality of all baked goods is excellent, if you consume it within one week.

A whole loaf of wheat toast is 0,49 Euro Cent, 6 Berliners, topped with powdered sugar is 1,69 Euro, a current bread with raisins (Rosinenbrot, 400 Gram) is 0.85 Euro Cent. A Sixpack of german beer Maternus Pilsener, 6 x 0,5 Liters, brewed by Becks/Bremen is 1,69 Euro for a sixpack.

300 Grams full fat cream cheese Aldi (Philadelphia...) 0.99 Euro, 250 Grams irish salted butter is 0,85 Euro. 750 Grams frozen Chicken Wings is 2,49 Euro (Very good!!!).

Like always, all this depends on your very own demands, on the money, you are able to spent for your food.

Michael

David_NYC

Re:ALDI Food store Thu, 08/27/09 9:28 PM (permalink)
                                        The American stores are operated by Aldi Süd. They are about the only American food stores that have the same cash registers (tills) as the Aldi Süd stores in Germany.

Michael_Germany

Re:ALDI Food store Fri, 08/28/09 2:12 PM (permalink)
                                          Greetings, Roadfooders!

Here a two part documentary from the 1950s, Familie Müller in Essen.

In part one at 07:23 you see a Albrecht Lebensmittel grocery in Essen, one of the 13 stores, the Albrecht brothers owned together in the 1950s here in Germany.

Part 1:
                                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7F92JG0OSA

Part 2:
                                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gltZmMDzJ5c

ALDI History:
                                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aldi

Karl Albrecht:
                                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Albrecht

Theo Albrecht:
                                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theo_Albrecht

The Albrecht Brothers

Michael

Michael_Germany

Re:ALDI Food store Fri, 08/28/09 5:10 PM (permalink)
                                            Greetings!

There is a very controversial dicussion about ALDI, and the Albrecht brothers over here in Europe / Germany. Economically priced food, most of it of good quality, on the other hand the Albrecht Brothers, utterly antisocial people, hiding away from the public, like most very wealthy folks do...

It is always a balancing act, to be a ALDI customer, but 99% of the german ALDI customers are not aware about all this.

"You cant take it with you when you have to go!"

Michael

MilwFoodlovers

• Total Posts: 3090
                                              Re:ALDI Food store Fri, 08/28/09 5:43 PM (permalink)
                                              Michael, never saw your bier here but it is Friday and I'm having a cold one. I'm done with work and I'm enjoying a Wernesgrüner. Ever have one? They say the Brauerei was founded in 1436. That is before Columbus met my ancestors! Ein prosit. Good Aldi bier.
                                              Edited to add a picture.

<message edited by MilwFoodlovers on Fri, 08/28/09 5:45 PM>

Michael_Germany

Re:ALDI Food store Fri, 08/28/09 6:06 PM (permalink)
                                                Greetings to Milwaukee!

"Wernesgrüner" is a trad. german brewery, founded in the year 1436.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wernesgr%C3%BCner

Homepage:
                                                http://www.wernesgruener.de/

It was one of the most popular beer brands in the former DDR/GDR (Deutsche Demokratische Republik), a very nice and tasty beer, mostly not av. in our northern german area...

Cheers to you, enjoy your Wernesgruener!

Kind german regards

Michael

kozel

• Location: Fredericksburg, VA
                                                  Re:ALDI Food store Sun, 08/30/09 12:21 PM (permalink)
                                                  David_NYC

kozel,
                                                  That is great news. From time to time, Aldi brings in some really good European food products, not the stuff the gourmet stores sell but the same items as sold in European food markets. Do you have any more specifics?

Sorry David, I missed your question.  I saw the comment in Newsday and I think it was on August 25th.  I didn't clip the article and I can't find any information on Newsday or Aldi's site.  I don't recall the location but I seem to think it was in eastern Queens.

From Aldi's site on real estate development, they refer to Tom Hornstein (315-569-4345) as being responsible for NYC Metro & Long Island.  You may try contacting him.

David_NYC

Re:ALDI Food store Sun, 08/30/09 12:58 PM (permalink)
                                                    OK, thanks, kozel.

kozel

Re:ALDI Food store Tue, 09/22/09 7:19 AM (permalink)
                                                      David, looks like it may be Douglaston.  Read the comments on this blog.

http://queenscrap.blogspo...coming-to-mystery.html

Johanna

• Total Posts: 4
                                                        • Location: Germany, Wiesmoor, XX
                                                        Re:ALDI Food store Tue, 09/22/09 10:33 AM (permalink)
                                                        Hi,  we shop at Aldis twice a week here in Germany, and therefore we know what to buy there and what cannot be found there.

Most items are cheaper than in other supermarkets.

The Founders are brothers and divided their territory, German North and South, one is in Austria and so on....

They buy in large quantities and get most things cheaper, it is said here, that they treat their staff better than other supermarket chains, but I do not have first hand info.

David_NYC

• Location: New York, NY
                                                          Re:ALDI Food store Tue, 09/22/09 10:46 AM (permalink)
                                                          Thanks, Kozel. I haven't been able to find out for sure myself. Aldi had a hiring session held at the Marriott at LaGuardia Airport, but that yields no info. I am familiar with that Waldbaums in Douglaston, but it is probably still open and is much too big for the typical Aldi. An Aldi is roughly the size of an old Bohack. On this forum, they are guessing Atlas Terminal:
                                                          http://www.queenscentral.com/forums/topic.php?id=2651

kozel

Re:ALDI Food store Wed, 09/23/09 6:07 AM (permalink)
                                                            Bohack!  I collect Bohack stuff; but that's another story.  

Atlas terminal!  I used to live a block away.  What I hear is that Atlas is on the skids.
                                                            <message edited by kozel on Wed, 09/23/09 6:09 AM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 31 to 60 of 64

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com