AOL Picks "TOP 15 BURGERS"- Another List !!

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
tmiles
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2014
RE: AOL Picks "TOP 15 BURGERS"- Another List !! 2006/04/04 09:43:09 (permalink)
Alas I have been to not one place on the list. Lists like this are fun, but IMO, never more than an educated guess. As an earlier poster mentioned, we don't know how the list was made, and I doubt, for example, that a team of 3 foodies spent a year checking out burgers around the country. I might be fun to have our own survey. With this group, it may be more accurate. As V960 mentions, the list should maybe be, "Best Burger Under $8".
santacruz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 372
RE: AOL Picks "TOP 15 BURGERS"- Another List !! 2006/04/04 11:37:06 (permalink)
All I can say is VALS PAPPABURGER in Hayward CA. It's what a burger should be. Also very good Old fashioned Frosts.

Hayward is a remarkable place very diverse, it has a great City sign:

HAYWARD CALIFORNIA - NO ROOM FOR RACISM.

My kind of place.

The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3759
RE: AOL Picks "TOP 15 BURGERS"- Another List !! 2006/04/11 21:53:01 (permalink)
Apparently, AOL City Guide put out the lists for best burgers in a number of cities and then did the overall list that the Mayor posted above.

The NYC list http://cityguide.aol.com/newyork/bestburgers/main.adp is pretty good, but the guys over at "A Hamburger Today" (http://www.ahamburgertoday.com/) report that the glaring omission is the Shake Shack. I have that on my list of to-do's the next time I am in Manhattan (and in want of a burger -- happens much less frequently in Manhattan than elsewhere). I have tried three or four of the places on this list, and heartily concur with Peter Luger's burger being the best in NYC. It may be the best I have ever eaten -- anywhere!

The rest of the list:

Peter Luger
Williamsburg
Naturally the legendary steak house makes the most succulent burger around.

NY Burger Co.
Gramercy

Burger Joint
Midtown

Corner Bistro
West Village

Union Square Cafe
Flatiron

J.G. Melon
Upper East Side

Blue 9
East Village

Pop Burger
Meatpacking

Spotted Pig
West Village

Rare Bar and Grill
Midtown
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3486
RE: AOL Picks "TOP 15 BURGERS"- Another List !! 2006/04/12 02:04:59 (permalink)
Dick's in Spokane is just as good as the one in Seattle. I always pull off the 90 for a few Dick's burgers in Spokane.
ULVER
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 226
RE: AOL Picks "TOP 15 BURGERS"- Another List !! 2007/11/16 16:15:25 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Biscuit

Uhh, the original was in midtown. The one in Little Five Points inhabits the space once occupied by a vegetarian restaurant that I can't remember the name of, even though a friend of mine waitressed there..
I would avoid either, and go down the street to the Zestos in L5P or midtown.

I think the veggie place that occupied what is now the WONDERFUL Vortex, was called "Eat Your Vegetables." Imagine that!

Gotta say, it's hard to pass up a footlong across the road at Zestos!

As far as Atlanta goes, after The Vortex, my vote goes to The Highlander on Monroe Dr. (behind the Trader Joe's), and The Downwind at Peachtree Dekalb Airport.
divefl
  • Total Posts : 1671
RE: AOL Picks "TOP 15 BURGERS"- Another List !! 2007/11/16 16:20:22 (permalink)
AOL can'r get the internet richt, why are they taking on food. Thankfully, a good burger is easy to find most anywhere.
Oneiron339
  • Total Posts : 2075
RE: AOL Picks "TOP 15 BURGERS"- Another List !! 2007/11/18 07:03:38 (permalink)
Ever since the nanny state required well-done burgers, the Vortex has gone downhill, IMHO. They're still OK, but if I really want a good burger in that side of town - I go to Ann's grill on Memorial for a ghetto burger.
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4636
RE: AOL Picks "TOP 15 BURGERS"- Another List !! 2007/11/18 10:24:28 (permalink)
OK one, I'll bite. What's on a ghetto burger?
Oneiron339
  • Total Posts : 2075
RE: AOL Picks "TOP 15 BURGERS"- Another List !! 2007/11/19 06:58:40 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by bill voss

OK one, I'll bite. What's on a ghetto burger?

Big grilled burger w/ cheese, onions, tomato, lettuce, chili, bacon - cooked by Ann herself. It's a 8-10 seat diner and you usually have to wait. Don't know how it came by the name, but Ann's in an "unsavory" part of ATL.
tamandmik
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 949
RE: AOL Picks "TOP 15 BURGERS"- Another List !! 2007/11/19 11:21:29 (permalink)
I think "Roaring Fork" is a restaurant reviewed in one of the Stern's recent Roadfood books. I think they said the restaurant is one of the few that really doesn't qualify as Roadfood per se, because of its prices.
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3026
RE: AOL Picks "TOP 15 BURGERS"- Another List !! 2007/11/22 07:41:57 (permalink)
Been to several of these places on the list - Tessaro's is definitely a "list maker" as is the Roaring Fork's huge 12 oz burger. What a agreat place that is. Jack's Famous serves up a great burger, but I seem to recall it being made on a griddle? Could be wrong. What's interesting about that particular burger is they use brisket, groudn fresh on the premises,which is a very expensive cut of meat. It is incredibly rich tasting, too.
I'd like to add the Brickyard Lounge's excellent burger to this growing list of alternatives. It's in Daytona Beach.

But, to leave out what is without question one of the well recognized best burgers in this country...Bob Cat Bite's green chili white cheddar burger in Santa Fe, NM? I don't see how that is possible witness the fact that it's appeared on so many, many other top 10 lists and this one encompasses 15? Magazines like Esquire, Gourmet, etc. have all spoken about this little gem outside of Santa Fe's city limits.

I've heard great things about Le Tub in Hollywood, FL. Sadly, I regret not going there when I lived in South Florida for nearly 25 years! One of these days, when I return to the area, I'm there.

There are some great burgers to be found in New York City for sure. Places like McHale's, McMullen's, etc. If you are going to do lists, the thickness of the burgers should come into play, too. I believe they should have separate catagories for thick and thin burgers.
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3026
RE: AOL Picks "TOP 15 BURGERS"- Another List !! 2007/11/22 08:07:05 (permalink)
Been to several of these places on the list - Tessaro's in Pittsburgh is definitely a "list maker" as is the Roaring Fork's huge 12 oz burger. What a great place that is. Jack's Famous serves up a great burger, but I seem to recall it being made on a griddle? Could be wrong. What's interesting about that particular burger is they use brisket, ground fresh daily on the premises, which is a very expensive cut of meat. It is incredibly rich tasting, too.

I'd like to cast my vote to AOL' list by adding the Brickyard Lounge's excellent burger. It's in Daytona Beach. A real sleeper.

But, for AOL to leave out what is without question one of the well recognized best burgers in this country...Bob Cat Bite's green chili white cheddar burger in Santa Fe, NM? I don't see how that is possible witness the fact that it's appeared on so many, many other top 10 lists and this one encompasses 15? Magazines like Esquire, Gourmet, etc. have all spoken about this little gem outside of Santa Fe's city limits.

I've heard great things about Le Tub in Hollywood, FL. Sadly, I regret not going there when I lived in South Florida for nearly 25 years! One of these days, when I return to the area, I'm there. And, there are some great burgers to be found in New York City for sure. Places like McHale's, JG Melons, etc. Even PJ Clarke's....

If you are going to do lists, shouldn't the thickness of the burgers come into play? Especially if you are going to do "roadfood" type of pricing? Someone posted that the Roaring Fork is not a roadfood place. Hasn't that issue already been clounded on this site many times already? haven't we learned that the Sterns have indeed dined at more pricy places at times?

This AOL list has a wide cross section of environments and prices. But, we're just commenting on this list aren't we? The fact is that the Roaring Fork is an incredible place serving a great, great burger. And actually, if you go htere during Happy Hour, that 12 oz burger was very reasonably priced if I recall. So, consider it roadfood..at times.

Anyway, maybe AOL should have broken down their list by thick and thin. Because these 8 oz and 12 oz burgers are going to be much more expensive and are going to be served in nicer atmospheres than those places serving great thin, fresh meat burgers. There's enough great thick and thin burgers to make two seperate lists.
porkchopexpress
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 798
RE: AOL Picks "TOP 15 BURGERS"- Another List !! 2007/11/23 09:44:14 (permalink)
Rotiers in Nashville TN near Vanderbilt University has the best burger I've ever had
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3531
RE: AOL Picks "TOP 15 BURGERS"- Another List !! 2007/12/16 21:59:52 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Baah Ben

Been to several of these places on the list -

I've heard great things about Le Tub in Hollywood, FL. Sadly, I regret not going there when I lived in South Florida for nearly 25 years! One of these days, when I return to the area, I'm there.

I'd like you to be able to experience Le Tub vicariously!
I was just there a few weeks ago when I flew from NJ to Fort Lauderdale.

The burger would definitely be classified as one of those "big, thick ones"... it is described as a 13 ounce sirloin burger;
the price was was thick too, $11.00. It did not come with french fries, just a big hunk of meat. But it also came with a nice view of the intercoastal waterway. We sat on picnic tables outside, and got eaten alive by the mosquitos. I flew back to NJ a few hours later, and was still itching for days after! (my Florida trip was still with me!)

My only real complaint was there were no pickles.

[img][/img]
hpbecker
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: AOL Picks "TOP 15 BURGERS"- Another List !! 2007/12/20 22:40:02 (permalink)
As the self-proclaimed "BurgerMaven" I have spent almost 60 years eating hamburgers and cheeseburgers. I have been interviewed by Andrew Zimmern -- chowhound and Jay Leno contributor -- bizarre foods of the world.

I can give you a list from NY to LA.

NY: Corner Bistro; Island Burgers; jackson Hole on 62nd betw 2 and 3rd. (baldounie burger) Must forget Burger Joint at Parker Meridien. Only reason its on a top name list is that the burger cost $7 and its 'fast food'. It ain't good! Asked what the meat is...'it's hamburger meat.' not 80/20 or whatever. on a wonder bun. do not waste your time. Go to Bar Amercain or Mesa Grill and have a $14 true excellent burger for sit down restaurant. Corner Bistro...get the bistro burger, medium rare at the bar. terrific.

Illinois: Chicago area:
di Pescara in Northbrook -- tops
The Assembly in Hoffman Estates -- marble rye; any of the cheeses and bacon (4 slices) cooked medium rare..get mushroom sauce on side. Eat at the bar and burgers come right off the char grill.

Paradise Pup: Des Plaines: $3.80 for the best fast food burger (won #1 in that category in Chicago). Medium rare; with Merkt's cheddar cheese. get real milkshakes, seasoned fries..

JOE's Stone Crab: downtown. yes the burger is excellent.

Hot Chocolate: on north Damen...no fried egg though. real Wis. cheddar.

Kuma's Corner: on Belmont: with gouda and roasted red pepper. wow...

Sola: On Lincoln: they have a kobe burger at lunch but call ahead to ask for it at dinner. with a german type cheese..excellent..carmelized onions..etc.

Bar burgers during early and late hours: Mortons and McCormick and Schmick.

FLorida: #1 burger in US: Le Tub in Hollywood Florida. ask for Steve and Robin. eat outside. takes 30 minutes. 14 oz of sirloin..fantastic...

Naples: Cheeburge Cheeburger but only on Tamiami trail at 99th . Tell Sean how youwant it cooked.

Idaho: Ketchem: Pioneer Saloon. wow...ground leftovers of sirloin, prime rib and tenderloin.

Sante Fe: Bobcat Bite -- greenchile cheeseburger...check hours. only open Wed to Sat...but check. worth a trip.

LA: My father's Office in Santa Monica: great burger..only have it medium rare. comes with cheese inside...only way to have it.

Grace Burger at Grace: only on Sundays

BLD restaurant: same owner as Grace...on Beverly. they have the Grace burger every day.

The Counter: Santa MOnica also. Very good and you can create 200 different combo's.

IN and Out: must try.

do NOT go to Apple Pan for burgers.. not worth the hype. maybe the pie but not the burger..

=========================================

That's enough for now...

Photo's available of all of the above.

Skip The Burgermaven Becker
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1