AOL Picks "TOP 15 BURGERS"- Another List !!

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15304
2006/03/24 14:28:34 (permalink)

AOL Picks "TOP 15 BURGERS"- Another List !!

On the 'Teaser screen' on AOL where they flash the headlines and Sports and other quick notes they have added for today, the "TOP 15 BURGERS in the USA". A few of these names are familiar to me, but most aren't. I would be interested in folks responses who may have knowledge of some of the places on the list. I do not know how they made the selections, other than it was some sort of survey.

Our City's Best Faves...

1. All-American Drive-In - Long Island, N.Y.
A famous and delicious "double double" for only $2.10? Fantastic!

2. Chris Madrid's - San Antonio
Try the "Tostada Burger" with refried beans, chips, cheddar and salsa.

3. CityGrille - Denver
Go high-end with a Steakburger, or local with a Buffaloburger.

4. Dick's Drive-In - Seattle
It's all about their famous special sauce with zingy bits of pickle.

5. Goldyburgers - Chicago
Serving 'em up hot, huge and cheesy since 1926

6. In-N-Out Burger - Los Angeles
The perenial favorite also won in Vegas, OC and San Diego.

7. Jack's Old Fashion Hamburger - South Florida
Hand-shaped, charbroiled perfection served up your way

8. O'Connell's Pub - St. Louis
Juicy, charbroiled nine-ounce burgers for more than 40 years

9. Peter Luger - New York
Prime dry-aged beef and signature steak sauce from a famed steak house

10. Roaring Fork - Phoenix
Try the "Big-Ass Burger" stacked high with Scoville green chiles.

11. Stanich's - Portland, Ore.
Try the amazing "Special" topped with a fried egg, ham, bacon and cheese.

12. Tessaro's - Pittsburgh
Fresh meat ground daily in-house and flame-broiled on a hardwood grill

13. Thurman Cafe - Columbus, Ohio
Thurman Burger = a 3/4 lb patty, ham, mozzarella and American Cheese

13. Val's Burgers - San Francisco
You think you can handle the One-Pound Behemoth at Val's?

14. The Vortex - Atlanta
Enter through the giant skull and see why The Vortex swept Atlanta.

15. 96th St. Steakburgers - Indianapolis
Perfection with ground steak cuts and buns grilled with mustard

44 Replies Related Threads

jm199
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 218
    RE: AOL Picks "TOP 15 BURGERS"- Another List !! 2006/03/24 14:42:25 (permalink)
    Tessaro's - Pittsburgh
    4601 Liberty Ave
    Pittsburgh, PA 15224-1922
    (412) 682-6809

This local restaurant in Pittsburgh does make a great hamburger with freshly ground meat. They are always at the top of the local best of list. Located in Bloomfield, PA they are situated around a number of great Roadfood eats places.

The only problems I have with them is that they do not have a fryer in their kitchen, so they serve sliced red potatoes instead of french fries, and their quality is uneven. Also, since it is a small place, you may feel cramped and can hear the conversation at the table next to you.

Expect to wait on a busy weekend, especially during the summer months.
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3759
    RE: AOL Picks "TOP 15 BURGERS"- Another List !! 2006/03/24 14:51:58 (permalink)
    All-American Burger is good - but, the best in the country? No way.

Of all the ones that I have tried that are on that list, I would rate Peter Luger's way ahead of All-American, but Luger's burger will set you back about $10, and AAB will set you back a little over 2 bucks.

I have been to O'Connell's in St. Louis, too. My buddy says that every time he goes there, he wants to order the burger, and ends up getting their roast beef sandwich, which is excellent. I have seen their burgers, but have never had one. I will try to rectify that situation when we hit STL this summer.

One burger that is on my list of Top 3 or 5 in the country that never seems to make anyone's list is at the Ponder Steakhouse (Ranchman's Cafe) in Ponder, TX. They use top grade beef, make hand-formed patties, cook to perfect temperature, and the fries that accompany the burger are straight from whole potato to the fryer. Could not be any fresher.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4275
    RE: AOL Picks "TOP 15 BURGERS"- Another List !! 2006/03/24 14:53:13 (permalink)
    I'll second the motion for Goldyburgers, actually in Oak Park, right next door to Chicago, to the west. Very good burgers in a great old fashioned Roadfood tavern atmosphere. Family friendly in spite of the tavern setting. I'm not sure it belongs on a nationwide list of best burgers, but it certainly belongs on Chicago's Best Burger list.

Buddy
    msgaucho
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: AOL Picks "TOP 15 BURGERS"- Another List !! 2006/03/24 14:59:04 (permalink)
    I cannot believe that In-N-Out is on the same list as many of these places. They are okay for fast food, but not in comparison to real hamburgers!!

Plus, they left off the best burger in the world--Mike's in Petaluma, CA. His first restaurant was in the cattle auction yard!
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2983
    RE: AOL Picks "TOP 15 BURGERS"- Another List !! 2006/03/24 15:03:41 (permalink)
    I haven't eaten at Tessaro's in over 20 years and I still remember how good the burgers are. IMO they are best served as unadorned as possible; maybe salt and a little bit of raw onion. Or plain.

tom
    saps
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1563
    RE: AOL Picks "TOP 15 BURGERS"- Another List !! 2006/03/24 15:16:58 (permalink)
    I've been to Goldyburgers, In and Out, and O'Connell's. Goldyburgers and O'Connell's make a very similar and very good burger. They are great local burgers, but I agree with Buddy Roadhouse, they may not be in the top 15 in the country.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15304
    RE: AOL Picks "TOP 15 BURGERS"- Another List !! 2006/03/24 15:20:29 (permalink)
    I get the feeling, based on the comments so far, that AOL may have weighted the results to give a geographic balance to the country. I really would like some info on the demographics of the survey group!
    I am sure that an under-25 crowd might have different priorities that the 50 and over crowd would in the selection process.
    Oneiron339
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: AOL Picks "TOP 15 BURGERS"- Another List !! 2006/03/24 16:34:22 (permalink)
    I agree wih Al on the geographic nature of this "survey." Did they specify what the criteria were, or was it just opinion? It's always a stimulating argument nonetheless, and I'm always trying to find the "best" burger out there.
    Pwingsx
    • Total Posts : 2170
    RE: AOL Picks "TOP 15 BURGERS"- Another List !! 2006/03/24 17:00:47 (permalink)
    I agree with the Mayor on this also. CityGrille in Denver may have a fine burger, but it is not the kind of place the average person would drop into. It's cost-prohibitive, for one thing. Location is another -- it's more like to attract the metro professionals.
    jinjo76
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 204
    RE: AOL Picks "TOP 15 BURGERS"- Another List !! 2006/03/24 17:23:28 (permalink)
    7. Jack's Old Fashion Hamburger - South Florida
    Hand-shaped, charbroiled perfection served up your way

A 10 minute walk from my front door.

http://www.hollyeats.com/JacksBurgers.htm
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3759
    RE: AOL Picks "TOP 15 BURGERS"- Another List !! 2006/03/24 17:46:09 (permalink)
    Demographics enter into it, for sure, but the previous list from GQ seemed to me, to be a much better representation. There was much debate over that list, too -- 3 or 4 pages worth here and a number of threads -- but, of the places that I hit, I have yet to be disappointed. There were also a number of different style burgers on that list, too, which will also account for some regionality. But, while there may be a significant taste difference between a Louis Lunch burger and a Luger burger, it is easy to see that what you are eating is the same thing. Whereas comparing a Luger burger to All-American and In-N-Out is almost apples to oranges. Also, the GQ list seemed to focus more on good burgers -- either the meat or the "experience", but this list seems a little out there on some of their suggestions -- i.e. "Try the "Tostada Burger" with refried beans, chips, cheddar and salsa" or "It's all about their famous special sauce with zingy bits of pickle"?? If your burger is known for the sauce with "zingy bits of pickle" is it really known for the burger or the sauce?
    essvee
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 425
    RE: AOL Picks "TOP 15 BURGERS"- Another List !! 2006/03/24 17:55:27 (permalink)
    Val's is in Hayward, in the East Bay, not S.F. Their burgers are seriously good, the best in the Bay Area by far. Nothing fancy, but they are made with good beef; they're charbroiled fresh, and they are juicy: when the burger comes out, there is already a good puddle of red juice on the plate. So many burgers are dry as bones, no doubt because of the use of 'lean' beer. It is a special treat to go there.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7911
    RE: AOL Picks "TOP 15 BURGERS"- Another List !! 2006/03/24 17:56:54 (permalink)
    It seems that the poll does not differentiate between a "slider" and a good "bar or tavern" burger
    I enjoyed Dicks as well as another local mini chain called Kid Valley when I was living in Seattle, especially after a night of drinking. Dick's definetely fell into the category of "Sliders". Tessaro's was a good quality bar/tavern burger during my Pittsburgh days. I'm embarrassed to say that after living in Long Island for most of my life I never had an "All American" burger.
    prius
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 109
    RE: AOL Picks "TOP 15 BURGERS"- Another List !! 2006/03/24 18:04:07 (permalink)
    Vortex...a big disappointment.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: AOL Picks "TOP 15 BURGERS"- Another List !! 2006/03/24 18:04:17 (permalink)
    I'll vouch for The Vortex! Most excellent. Road Food??

Tristan Indiana
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 328
    RE: AOL Picks "TOP 15 BURGERS"- Another List !! 2006/03/24 18:19:49 (permalink)
    15. 96th St. Steakburgers - Indianapolis

96th St. Steakburgers is very similar to In-N-Out Burger with the same limited menu of burgers and fries. Like INO, you can even order your burger "animal style", only they call it "monster style" instead. I still like In-N-Out better. For a great burger in Indy, I suggest Workingman's Friend Tavern just west of downtown. They make a double cheeseburger that I think is the best in the city.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    RE: AOL Picks "TOP 15 BURGERS"- Another List !! 2006/03/24 19:39:36 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by prius

Vortex...a big disappointment.

Which one did you go to? Original (L5P) or midtown? Big difference. Also, neither is really RF but I think IMO they have great sirloin burgers. Did the bikers @ L5P intimidate you, perhaps?
    Biscuit
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 73
    RE: AOL Picks "TOP 15 BURGERS"- Another List !! 2006/03/24 19:52:00 (permalink)
    Uhh, the original was in midtown. The one in Little Five Points inhabits the space once occupied by a vegetarian restaurant that I can't remember the name of, even though a friend of mine waitressed there..
    I would avoid either, and go down the street to the Zestos in L5P or midtown.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13523
    RE: AOL Picks "TOP 15 BURGERS"- Another List !! 2006/03/24 19:52:20 (permalink)
    I have frequented the Vortex in Little Five Points and I thought their architecture was amusing.

It may have been the day but their burger was very good and juicy. I was pleased and I would go back.

For those of you that may have a interest, I have attached their web site.

http://www.thevortexbarandgrill.com/TheVortex/index.htm

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    RE: AOL Picks "TOP 15 BURGERS"- Another List !! 2006/03/24 20:23:29 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Biscuit

Uhh, the original was in midtown. The one in Little Five Points inhabits the space once occupied by a vegetarian restaurant that I can't remember the name of, even though a friend of mine waitressed there..
    I would avoid either, and go down the street to the Zestos in L5P or midtown.

Oh well. 'Scuse moi. Zestos?

http://www.zestoatlanta.com/home.cfm?action=menus&locationID=3

That's RF, dude. Good, but not THAT good. MUCH better that The VARSITY; agreed.

Many more restaurants and other diversions to choose from, here:

http://www.l5p.com/areamap.html
    Mags81
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 84
    RE: AOL Picks "TOP 15 BURGERS"- Another List !! 2006/03/24 20:39:22 (permalink)
    I always heard that a place called Le Tub in Hollywood, Fl were famous for their hamburgers - I've eaten there a few times and have always gotten the fish/mahi sandwich not really knowing about the burger. I've got to say though, they do have the best key lime pie that I've ever tasted. Anyone ever have a burger from here - how was it??
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    RE: AOL Picks "TOP 15 BURGERS"- Another List !! 2006/03/24 20:54:39 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by stevekoe

All-American Burger is good - but, the best in the country? No way.

I am with you here! I like All-American, but it is just a neat local place.

I would add Billy's Giant Burgers in Jackson, WY to the list.
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    RE: AOL Picks "TOP 15 BURGERS"- Another List !! 2006/03/24 20:58:18 (permalink)
    Stanich's Burger is the best burger in Portland. I also like the Bleu Cheese burger at the Cafe Castagna.
    QFan
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 643
    RE: AOL Picks "TOP 15 BURGERS"- Another List !! 2006/03/25 08:32:38 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by mr chips

Stanich's Burger is the best burger in Portland. I also like the Bleu Cheese burger at the Cafe Castagna.

My daughter lives in Portland so Mrs QFan and I get there fairly frequently. Let's not forget Burgerville which, like InNOut, makes a lot of "best burger" lists even though it is fast food.

QFan
    Bonita Springs, FL
    hatteras04
    • Total Posts : 1098
    RE: AOL Picks "TOP 15 BURGERS"- Another List !! 2006/03/25 09:03:45 (permalink)
    13. Thurman Cafe - Columbus, Ohio
    Thurman Burger = a 3/4 lb patty, ham, mozzarella and American Cheese

I tried a bacon burger at Thurman cafe (in German Village just southeast of downtown) and it was very good. I think the reason people talk about them so much is that they are huge. Defnitely a two handed burger. It's not my absolute favorite as I prefer a thinner burger myself but I did like it a lot. And it is a true hole in the wall roadfood type place that is jammed full of people day and night. They were featured on The Best Of on the food network once. Probably becasue one of the hosts of that show was a local news reporter here (the Six on Your Side guy) and he said he spent a lot of time there.
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    RE: AOL Picks "TOP 15 BURGERS"- Another List !! 2006/03/25 10:40:36 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by QFan

quote:
    Originally posted by mr chips

My daughter lives in Portland so Mrs QFan and I get there fairly frequently. Let's not forget Burgerville which, like InNOut, makes a lot of "best burger" lists even though it is fast food.

QFan
    Bonita Springs, FL
    Agreed about Burgerville.
    CoastFan
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 116
    RE: AOL Picks "TOP 15 BURGERS"- Another List !! 2006/04/02 19:39:01 (permalink)
    I've been to three (if one counts In-N-Out as one). Besides that chain (a very good chain burger, to be sure, but there are others in the same category, IMO), I've had Dick's in Seattle and the famous Stanich burger in Portland (lived in Lake Oswego, OR for five years).

The Stanich burger (with a fried egg, cheese and bacon) is often imitated, including by a chain like Red Robin, with their own version of the "bacon, cheese and egg" burger, and by the McMenamin empire in the Pacific Northwest, with their Wilbur's Jumbo Deluxe burger.

The McMenamin brothers acknowledge Stanich's as the inspiration.

Anyone want to nominate Denny's Beer Barrel 12 pounder?
    JBarry713
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 243
    RE: AOL Picks "TOP 15 BURGERS"- Another List !! 2006/04/03 18:00:03 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by s_b_man18

I always heard that a place called Le Tub in Hollywood, Fl were famous for their hamburgers - I've eaten there a few times and have always gotten the fish/mahi sandwich not really knowing about the burger. I've got to say though, they do have the best key lime pie that I've ever tasted. Anyone ever have a burger from here - how was it??

Le Tub, while not the best hamburger I have ever eaten, is very good nonetheless. It is big compared to most other burger places with the sirlion patty weighing in around 10 ounces from what I remember.

As far as the AOL list is concerned, I am surprised Louis' Lunch in New Haven, CT did not make it.
    V960
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: AOL Picks "TOP 15 BURGERS"- Another List !! 2006/04/04 09:17:08 (permalink)
    Difficult to make a judgement w/o knowiing the rules but any "best burger" contest that doesn't have 21 Club on it must have cost as a factor. At about $30 it is still a fantastic meal.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1