The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

ATKINS 86'd...ACTUALLY MORE LIKE 286

i95

• Total Posts: 2500
ATKINS 86'd...ACTUALLY MORE LIKE 286 Tue, 02/10/04 11:11 AM (permalink)
CNN's story today on the medical examiner's report following last year's passing of Dr. Robert Atkins (of the famed Atkins Diet) finding that he suffered a heart attack, congestive heart failure and hypertension:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/HEALTH/02/10/atkins.widow.ap/index.html

No jocular comments. Just an FYI.

Grampy

• Total Posts: 1559
    RE: ATKINS 86'd...ACTUALLY MORE LIKE 286 Tue, 02/10/04 11:21 AM (permalink)
    I am sure he is happily chewing the fat with J.I.Rodale.

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6255
      RE: ATKINS 86'd...ACTUALLY MORE LIKE 286 Tue, 02/10/04 11:22 AM (permalink)
      I think the key to staying within your weight limit is: Everything in Moderation. Julia Child once told me about a friend of hers that was on a constant diet and ate a can of tuna every day.......and died of mercury poisoning!!!

Some of the most beautiful women I've ever seen were on the Italian Riviera where I was spending three weeks' vacation. Lunch was almost the same every day for them: big hunks of focaccia or slices of pizza.

CheeseWit

• Total Posts: 1393
        • Roadfood Insider
        RE: ATKINS 86'd...ACTUALLY MORE LIKE 286 Tue, 02/10/04 11:28 AM (permalink)
        Very interesting. I have been off of my low carb dieting for a couple weeks as I get psyched to lose weight the right way: lower carb intake, lower calorie intake, heightened physical activity.

Sundancer7

RE: ATKINS 86'd...ACTUALLY MORE LIKE 286 Tue, 02/10/04 11:35 AM (permalink)
          The Sundancer is still following the low carb diet. I have been at the same weight now for a pretty good while. I do not intentionally ingest sugar, grain, potatoes or anyother high carb stuff. I am sure I accidentally ingest some.

My cholestrol dropped from 280 to 190 since I have been on this thing which is about 5 months.

I did not drop my evening libations.

Paul E. Smith
          Knoxville, TN

stanpnepa

• Total Posts: 577
            RE: ATKINS 86'd...ACTUALLY MORE LIKE 286 Tue, 02/10/04 11:38 AM (permalink)
            I've always lost more weight doing the low fat (fairly high carb) diet than Atkins, but it's different for everyone. My cholesterol runs a little high (about 210). Different bodies handle carbs/fat in very different ways.

renfrew

• Total Posts: 696
              RE: ATKINS 86'd...ACTUALLY MORE LIKE 286 Tue, 02/10/04 1:45 PM (permalink)
              interesting how they say he was 6 feet and 258 pounds and that is obese...i am 6'3 and 240 and am considered obese by by the BMI. However, I am not fat at all and dont even look like what people consider when they hear that word.

I doubt this will do anythign to stop people from being on Atkins...it will just run itself out from its huge popularity, but will still be around.

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7407
                • Roadfood Insider
                RE: ATKINS 86'd...ACTUALLY MORE LIKE 286 Tue, 02/10/04 2:17 PM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by renfrew

interesting how they say he was 6 feet and 258 pounds and that is obese...i am 6'3 and 240 and am considered obese by by the BMI. However, I am not fat at all and dont even look like what people consider when they hear that word.

I doubt this will do anythign to stop people from being on Atkins...it will just run itself out from its huge popularity, but will still be around.

The whole BMI thing is very prejudiced towards men...I know I'm going to open up a can of worms here, but at the same time I think it is very generous to women...If someone challenges me on this I can give specific examples.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17850
                  RE: ATKINS 86'd...ACTUALLY MORE LIKE 286 Tue, 02/10/04 2:32 PM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by i95

CNN's story today on the medical examiner's report following last year's passing of Dr. Robert Atkins (of the famed Atkins Diet) finding that he suffered a heart attack, congestive heart failure and hypertension:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/HEALTH/02/10/atkins.widow.ap/index.html

No jocular comments. Just an FYI.

It turns out that the organization that put this information out is a front for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, or as I prefer, People Eating Tasty Animals.

The Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM)
                  has taken in over $1 million from PETA and the animal rights movement. PCRM and PETA also share office space, board members, and staff.

The Aerican Medical Assoction has formally censured PCRM in the past, calling its recommendations "irresponsible" and "potentially dangerous to the health and welfare of Americans." The AMA has also called PCRM a "fringe organization" that uses "unethical tactics" and is "interested in perverting medical science."

PCRM's attacks on diets including meat, fish and dairy foods, and its
                  constant demands for a vegetarian America are rooted in an animal-rights philosophy.

Dr. Stuart Trager, chairman of the Atkins Physicians Council, told the Wall Street Journal that Atkins' heart disease stemmed from cardiomyopathy, a condition that was thought to result from a viral
                  infection. (As an aside, my wife's cardiomyopathy stemmed from a viral infection.) Trager said Atkins' weight was due to bloating and water-retention associated with his condition, and the time he spent in a coma after his head injury.

Trager's statement reads in part: "(Atkins) had a weight that varied between 180 and 195. During his coma, as he deteriorated and his major organs failed, fluid retention and bloating dramatically distorted his body and left him at 258 pounds at the time of his death, a documented weight gain of over 60 pounds."

renfrew

• Total Posts: 696
                    RE: ATKINS 86'd...ACTUALLY MORE LIKE 286 Tue, 02/10/04 3:05 PM (permalink)
                    i agree with you...i proudly say that i am obese, since it is very obvious that i am not. I pointed it out because the media is making a big deal about the BMI of Atkin's, and I know that it is not that big of a deal.

At this point I think people are looking for ways to damage the diet. I never was on Atkins and never cared to be. I am sick and tired of seeing the name all over the place and on everything. But I hate the attacks on him that have little to no basis.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                      • No New Messages
                      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                      • Locked w/ New Messages
                      • Locked w/o New Messages
                      • Read Message
                      • Post New Thread
                      • Reply to message
                      • Post New Poll
                      • Submit Vote
                      • Post reward post
                      • Delete my own posts
                      • Delete my own threads
                      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com