The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

ATTN: Denver and or Colorado pizza lovers

jonjax71

• Total Posts: 435
ATTN: Denver and or Colorado pizza lovers Wed, 03/18/09 7:02 PM (permalink)
I was in Denver during the DNC, when the 4 of us who drove to the Mile High City from here in Pasadena we all had a list of a few things to do and see, everyone's list was completed except for my wife, she had on hers sample a Rocky Mountain Pizza and although we were told where there was a pizzaria like that we ran out of time and couldn't make it much to our dissapointment. Anyway supposedely a Rocky Mountain pizaa is the typical neopolitan pizza but with a raised crust border that towers over the pie representing the Rockies,  the pies are served with dipping sauce for the raised crust borders. Is this an urban myth or are there really pizza pies like that?

Beer&Snausages

• Total Posts: 418
    Re:ATTN: Denver and or Colorado pizza lovers Wed, 03/18/09 10:36 PM (permalink)

jonjax71

• Total Posts: 435
      Re:ATTN: Denver and or Colorado pizza lovers Fri, 03/20/09 12:01 AM (permalink)
      Thanks so much, now that I've seen them on line I recall that was the place we never got to. It looks delicious plus plus plus.  Sounds like I may plan a summer vacation in the Rockies-white water rafting, hiking, Red Rocks concert and a visit to one of the Bo Jo Pizzarias with a bad case of the munchies and a few friends.

Again, thanks a lot

KenK

• Total Posts: 143
        Re:ATTN: Denver and or Colorado pizza lovers Sat, 04/25/09 9:55 PM (permalink)
        jonjax71

Thanks so much, now that I've seen them on line I recall that was the place we never got to. It looks delicious plus plus plus.  Sounds like I may plan a summer vacation in the Rockies-white water rafting, hiking, Red Rocks concert and a visit to one of the Bo Jo Pizzarias with a bad case of the munchies and a few friends.

Again, thanks a lot

Such a shame you missed BeauJo's last time out. I know you would have enjoyed it. Might I suggest that if you do make it out to Colorado next summer that you go to the Beaujo's in Idaho Springs, just off Interstate 70. It is the original and has the best atmosphere of all of the Beaujo's. And in my estimation, the pizzas taste the best there. Maybe it is the altitude...I don't know (LOL) 

Anyway, as far as the crust is concerned. They do not provide you with sauce to dip it in, however I guess you could request some of you would like. What they do provide you with is honey for the crust. I like to save my crusts for last, and eat them with the honey, kind of as a dessert. And it is oh so good !

Sincerely hope you are able to make it back to Colorado for a Mountain Pie. No myth, they are legendary.

boyardee65

• Total Posts: 1457
          Re:ATTN: Denver and or Colorado pizza lovers Sun, 04/26/09 2:23 AM (permalink)
           There used to be a Beaujo's in Colorado Springs on West  Colorado Ave. and 25th St. but was reverted back to Thunder and Buttons. I remember the raised crust pizzas and they were delicious!! Also there is Fargo's Pizza on E. Platte Ave just west of Circle Drive. They have a player organ and video games on the mezzanine for the kiddies to play while waiting to pick up your pie. Place your order, take a number, find a seat, and wait for your pie. Lots to look at while you wait and feel free to walk around. The pizza is OK but it is mostly a place for kids. Serious pizza lovers will head to Beaujo's or Old Chicago in Boulder where it all began.

David O.

KenK

Re:ATTN: Denver and or Colorado pizza lovers Sun, 04/26/09 4:14 AM (permalink)
            boyardee65

There used to be a Beaujo's in Colorado Springs on West  Colorado Ave. and 25th St. but was reverted back to Thunder and Buttons. I remember the raised crust pizzas and they were delicious!! Also there is Fargo's Pizza on E. Platte Ave just west of Circle Drive. They have a player organ and video games on the mezzanine for the kiddies to play while waiting to pick up your pie. Place your order, take a number, find a seat, and wait for your pie. Lots to look at while you wait and feel free to walk around. The pizza is OK but it is mostly a place for kids. Serious pizza lovers will head to Beaujo's or Old Chicago in Boulder where it all began.

David O.

I have eaten at that Beaujo's  you speak of !

I would also like to mention another Colorado Springs pizza place that has been around for longer than Fargo's that the kids also love, and as far as I am concerned has a much better pizza....Giuseppe's. In fact , in my mind , they serve a great pizza.   It is now located in the old train station in downtown Colorado Springs.

Giuseppe's Old Depot Restaurant

I have seen Old Chicago grow from one restaurant to the national chain it is today. No longer typically roadfood any longer, never the less Old Chicago still serves up a mean pizza.

Old Chicago Neighborhood Restaurant and Tavern with over 110 Beers, Chicago-Style Pizza and Pasta

But as good as these other places are, they still don't serve a mountain pie. That  is something unique to Beaujo's.

KenK

Re:ATTN: Denver and or Colorado pizza lovers Sun, 04/26/09 4:58 PM (permalink)
              I happened across a review that the Chicago Pizza Club did on the Idaho Springs Beaujo's a while back. Going to link it here, as it has some great pics of what a mountain pie looks like. Catch the one with the honey dispenser I was talking about.

Chicago Pizza Club: [Special Report] Beau Jo's Pizza

boyardee65

• Total Posts: 1457
                Re:ATTN: Denver and or Colorado pizza lovers Mon, 04/27/09 2:02 AM (permalink)

Hey KenK, I used to work at the Old Chicago in Downtown Colorado Springs when they only had the store in Boulder and the on I worked at. I was with them for 7 years and opened more stores than I can count. Cripple Creek, Phoenix, Tempe, Kansas City,etc... Sometimes I was shipped out to franchise stores to make sure they were following company specs.

I met my wife at Giuseppe's when we both worked there. She was the salad bar girl and I was a line cook. 13 years and still doing great!!!  Alas, we live in Alaska now and I haven't found a good pizza here yet.

Thanks for bringing back some great memories!

David O.

KenK

Re:ATTN: Denver and or Colorado pizza lovers Mon, 04/27/09 5:43 AM (permalink)
                  boyardee65

Hey KenK, I used to work at the Old Chicago in Downtown Colorado Springs when they only had the store in Boulder and the on I worked at. I was with them for 7 years and opened more stores than I can count. Cripple Creek, Phoenix, Tempe, Kansas City,etc... Sometimes I was shipped out to franchise stores to make sure they were following company specs.

I met my wife at Giuseppe's when we both worked there. She was the salad bar girl and I was a line cook. 13 years and still doing great!!!  Alas, we live in Alaska now and I haven't found a good pizza here yet.

Thanks for bringing back some great memories!

David O.

You are welcome David O ! Giuseppe's has always been a special treat for myself and my family. Not many pizza places would I drive 75 miles one way for, just to enjoy the pizza. But Giuseppe's is one that my family and I have done that for on several occasions. Thanks for sharing your story.

collinf

• Total Posts: 159
                    Re:ATTN: Denver and or Colorado pizza lovers Mon, 04/27/09 9:54 AM (permalink)
                    The look of the pizza reminds me very much of an old favorite from Lawrence, KS - Pyramid Pizza.  During my time at KU in the 80's, they were one of the best pizzas around - and they also gave out honey with their pizzas for the crust.  Alas, the previous owners sold out a few years ago and I understand not only has the product gone downhill a little bit, but they've closed all but their main store in Lawrence (at least I can't find any place near me that used to make and sell their pizzas).

KenK

Re:ATTN: Denver and or Colorado pizza lovers Sat, 05/2/09 2:06 PM (permalink)
                      Another place in Colorado serving up some mean pizza is Rocky Mountain Pie. More of a roadfood type of place, it has just three tables. Located in Lone Tree, south of Denver, close to the Park Meadows Mall. Serving double dough, similar to BeauJo's, a deep dish Chicago style pizza, and a thin crust that reminds me of the thin crust pizza's from Northwest  Indiana  that I grew up with.

Rocky Mountain Pie Home Page
                      <message edited by KenK on Sat, 05/2/09 2:07 PM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                        • No New Messages
                        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                        • Locked w/ New Messages
                        • Locked w/o New Messages
                        • Read Message
                        • Post New Thread
                        • Reply to message
                        • Post New Poll
                        • Submit Vote
                        • Post reward post
                        • Delete my own posts
                        • Delete my own threads
                        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com