The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Abe's Hot Dog's in Wilkes Barre PA

Purcell429

• Total Posts: 22
Abe's Hot Dog's in Wilkes Barre PA Thu, 07/2/09 1:46 AM (permalink)
Hi all, new to the site here, stumbled upon it while searching for some good pizza places in pittsburgh and figured I would look in the Hot Dog section for my favorite Hot Dog's of all time, but couldn't find a thread on it, so I figured I would start my own.

The place is Abe's Hot Dog's in Wilkes-Barre PA. Its a famous local chain (there are now 5 of them I think) that has been open forever... my grandmother used to go there when she was in high school. Fairly small dogs, grilled, with chili sauce (in this case, a sort of dry meat paste), raw onions, and cheap yellow mustard. They sell for about a buck, and are fantastic with chocolate milk! Also, its strange, but each one of the 5 abe's is slightly different, the best one is on South Main street, which sells hot dog's, hamburgers, and thats about it, no fries even.

Anyone else been to Abe's before? 

joerogo

• Total Posts: 4462
    Re:Abe's Hot Dog's in Wilkes Barre PA Thu, 07/2/09 8:29 AM (permalink)
    Purcell429

Hi all, new to the site here, stumbled upon it while searching for some good pizza places in pittsburgh and figured I would look in the Hot Dog section for my favorite Hot Dog's of all time, but couldn't find a thread on it, so I figured I would start my own.

The place is Abe's Hot Dog's in Wilkes-Barre PA. Its a famous local chain (there are now 5 of them I think) that has been open forever... my grandmother used to go there when she was in high school. Fairly small dogs, grilled, with chili sauce (in this case, a sort of dry meat paste), raw onions, and cheap yellow mustard. They sell for about a buck, and are fantastic with chocolate milk! Also, its strange, but each one of the 5 abe's is slightly different, the best one is on South Main street, which sells hot dog's, hamburgers, and thats about it, no fries even.

Purcell429, Welcome aboard.  Nice to have another Northeast Pa'er around.

I agree with the Abe's on South Main in WB being the best.  Classic Greek Style chili on an ordinary hot dog.  Cheap and fast.

Mosca

• Total Posts: 2929
      Re:Abe's Hot Dog's in Wilkes Barre PA Thu, 07/2/09 3:53 PM (permalink)
      Keep in mind that there are two completely different Abe's. The one on S Main is one company, the ones in Mt Top, WB Twp, etc are completely different; different brand of dogs, different chili, different mustard. Both are pretty decent, but folks have strong preferences both ways. Most people prefer the S Main Abe's, but those who don't prefer it really don't like it at all, especially compared to the other Abe's.

It's hard to understand if you aren't from around here.

joerogo

Re:Abe's Hot Dog's in Wilkes Barre PA Thu, 07/2/09 8:39 PM (permalink)
        Mosca

Keep in mind that there are two completely different Abe's. The one on S Main is one company, the ones in Mt Top, WB Twp, etc are completely different; different brand of dogs, different chili, different mustard. Both are pretty decent, but folks have strong preferences both ways. Most people prefer the S Main Abe's, but those who don't prefer it really don't like it at all, especially compared to the other Abe's.

It's hard to understand if you aren't from around here.

Mosca, Don't forget Abe's in Kingston

ScreenBear

• Total Posts: 1503
          Re:Abe's Hot Dog's in Wilkes Barre PA Thu, 07/2/09 8:45 PM (permalink)
          If the hot dogs at all the Abes were created equal, then I would probably go to the Abe who was most honest.

The Bear

Purcell429

Re:Abe's Hot Dog's in Wilkes Barre PA Fri, 07/3/09 1:10 AM (permalink)
            Not a fan of the Abe's in Kingston... they charge more for the dogs and they don't seem quite as good. The abe's in mountaintop is pretty decent (and its a 5 minute walk from where I grew up!), But the best has got to be South Main street, with the Barney street Abe's in second. And don't miss out on Ferris's, directly next door to the Abe's on Barney street (the original, as I understand it). But yeah, no one understands me when I try to explain the intricacies of the different Abe's.

joerogo

Re:Abe's Hot Dog's in Wilkes Barre PA Fri, 07/3/09 7:48 AM (permalink)
              We may have to settle this with an Abe's Hot Dog Tour

stanpnepa

• Total Posts: 574
                Re:Abe's Hot Dog's in Wilkes Barre PA Fri, 07/3/09 8:45 AM (permalink)
                The Abe's in South Wilkes-Barre (on Main) is independent from the others (their shirts say "The One and Only").  Nice, family owned business.   It's not the greatest neighborhood - but they've been strong and committed to the community - and that's one of the reasons I stop in every once in awhile.

Baah Ben

• Total Posts: 3026
                  Re:Abe's Hot Dog's in Wilkes Barre PA Fri, 07/3/09 11:14 AM (permalink)
                  Joe - Hey wait a minute..Great chili on an "ordinary" hot dog?  What's that all about? 

So, is it boiled?  Natural casing?  All meat?  All beef?

Jeerze boys want to know..Right John (Fox)? 

Purcell429

Re:Abe's Hot Dog's in Wilkes Barre PA Fri, 07/3/09 12:10 PM (permalink)
                    It's a grilled dog... not sure what its made of... but its the Chili, onions, and mustard that really make the dog.

Purcell429

Re:Abe's Hot Dog's in Wilkes Barre PA Fri, 07/3/09 12:24 PM (permalink)
                      I found this weird video about Abe's on youtube....

[font="tahoma; line-height: normal; white-space: pre; "]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TDYsraJWdk

Keep in mind though that this is NOT what most of the abe's look like, they renovated the one on Barney Street a few years back, it used to be kind of a dive.

This is a picture from the south main street abe's:

http://the570.com/Venue/5687/Abe%27s_Hot_Dogs

Mosca

Re:Abe's Hot Dog's in Wilkes Barre PA Fri, 07/3/09 1:31 PM (permalink)
                        stanpnepa

The Abe's in South Wilkes-Barre (on Main) is independent from the others (their shirts say "The One and Only").  Nice, family owned business.   It's not the greatest neighborhood - but they've been strong and committed to the community - and that's one of the reasons I stop in every once in awhile.

I was pretty sure that S Main Abe's is independent, but I didn't post it because I wasn't certain. Thanks for the confirmation, Stan!

All the rest of the Abe's are the same company. I don't know if they all taste different, I only go to the one in Mt Top because it's close to home.

joerogo

Re:Abe's Hot Dog's in Wilkes Barre PA Fri, 07/3/09 2:01 PM (permalink)
                          Baah Ben

Joe - Hey wait a minute..Great chili on an "ordinary" hot dog?  What's that all about? 

So, is it boiled?  Natural casing?  All meat?  All beef?

Jeerze boys want to know..Right John (Fox)? 

Baah Ben, I don't know what brand they(Abe's) use for certain, but it is more than likely Berks, Hatfields or Knunzler.  Grilled on a flatop, yellow mustard, finely chopped onions and Greek style chili.  It's the chili that makes it special.  Cheap, fast and good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TDYsraJWdk

<message edited by joerogo on Fri, 07/3/09 2:02 PM>

stanpnepa

• Total Posts: 574
                            Re:Abe's Hot Dog's in Wilkes Barre PA Sun, 07/5/09 9:12 AM (permalink)
                            The (Wilkes-Barre) Times Leader ranks Abe's (on South Main) as the second best hot dog in the area. 

Here is their top five:
                            1.  Jimmy's Quick Lunch - Hazleton
                            2.  Abe's
                            3.  Ranch Wagon - Shavertown
                            4.  Torony's Giant Hot Dog - Wilkes-Barre
                            5.  Coney Island - Scranton

NEPA is not a Roadfood Hot Dog area - to me the dogs in NJ and CT are far better - but I would say that Jimmy's is certainly "Roadfood" worthy just for the atmosphere alone and LOVE the fries at Torony's.

My favorite, Nardone's in West Pittston didn't make the list.  Their chili makes the dogs.

----

The Stern-blessed White Haven Family Diner came in first among the burgers!

You can see the article here...

http://www.timesleader.com/news/Hot_dog__These_places_know_about_grilling_07-05-2009.html

Purcell429

Re:Abe's Hot Dog's in Wilkes Barre PA Sun, 07/5/09 1:35 PM (permalink)
                              I have never even heard of Jimmy's Quick Lunch, or Torony's... I'll have to check them out. Another good hot dog stop is Ferris's, on Barney St.  in Wilkes-Barre.

And oh man, the white haven diner makes a great burger! Only about 10 minutes from my house, definitely worth a stop if your in the area.

Purcell429

Re:Abe's Hot Dog's in Wilkes Barre PA Sun, 07/5/09 1:46 PM (permalink)
                                Just read that article... disappointed that Five Guys and Red Robin were on the burger list.

Try Sitko's Barn, which is also in White Haven, they make a great burger as well, although not as good as the White Haven Diner. But with the White Haven Diner's strange hours (Never open past 3pm), Sitko's is a great stop for a burger if your in the area.

Glad to see Stewart's Drive In on the list though! They also make some great potato pancakes... goes great with the root beer!

acer2x

• Total Posts: 440
                                  Re:Abe's Hot Dog's in Wilkes Barre PA Sun, 07/5/09 2:17 PM (permalink)
                                  I've been to Coney Island in Scranton. A real flashback place.

www.coneyislandofscranton.com

ken8038

• Total Posts: 1559
                                    Re:Abe's Hot Dog's in Wilkes Barre PA Sun, 07/5/09 10:09 PM (permalink)
                                    << Baah Ben, I don't know what brand they(Abe's) use for certain, but it is more than likely Berks, Hatfields or Knunzler>>

When I was there last year I asked and the cook had to look around to see what kind they used (it turned out to be Berks) but I got the impression he had to do that because it could change on a daily basis depending on, well, who knows what.

Mosca

Re:Abe's Hot Dog's in Wilkes Barre PA Sun, 07/5/09 11:24 PM (permalink)
                                      I'm not a fan of Sitko's. Too many indifferent meals there, too many indifferent servers. If you're not a regular you are invisible... and the food just isn't that good, all frozen food service or canned (but the cole slaw is great).

eruby

• Total Posts: 585
                                        • Location: Carroll County, People's Republic of Maryland
                                        • Roadfood Insider
                                        Re:Abe's Hot Dog's in Wilkes Barre PA Mon, 07/6/09 12:05 PM (permalink)
                                        Can anyone give an opinion or tell me the differences/similarities between Coney Island Texas Lunch (the one on Cedar Ave and I presume #5 on the list) and Coney Island Lunch (link below).

I've been to Coney Island Lunch (on Lackawana, not far from Coney Island Texas Lunch).  I was also going to go to Coney Island Texas Lunch, but there were a couple of peole smoking right at the entrance so I passed.

I didn't know about Abe's at the time or I surely would have gone there.

http://www.texas-wiener.com/

stanpnepa

The (Wilkes-Barre) Times Leader ranks Abe's (on South Main) as the second best hot dog in the area. 

Here is their top five:
                                        1.  Jimmy's Quick Lunch - Hazleton
                                        2.  Abe's
                                        3.  Ranch Wagon - Shavertown
                                        4.  Torony's Giant Hot Dog - Wilkes-Barre
                                        5.  Coney Island - Scranton

NEPA is not a Roadfood Hot Dog area - to me the dogs in NJ and CT are far better - but I would say that Jimmy's is certainly "Roadfood" worthy just for the atmosphere alone and LOVE the fries at Torony's.

My favorite, Nardone's in West Pittston didn't make the list.  Their chili makes the dogs.

----

The Stern-blessed White Haven Family Diner came in first among the burgers!

You can see the article here...

http://www.timesleader.com/news/Hot_dog__These_places_know_about_grilling_07-05-2009.html

Sniper

• Total Posts: 1
                                          Re:Abe's Hot Dog's in Wilkes Barre PA Fri, 07/24/09 11:06 AM (permalink)
                                          Purcell429

I will be at Abe's on South Main Street next Saturday. My cousin's daughter is getting married and my wife and I are traveling to Wilkes-Barre from our home in Maryland.  My father grew up in Wilkes-Barre, graduating from Myers High School in 1940 (and from Scranton University in 1948 after serving in WWII).  Abe's was the hang out for high schoolers back then.  On return trips to visit my grandmother my father would always make sure we stopped at Abe's for a hotdog (or three).  I haven't been to Wilkes-Barre since my grandmother died in 1985.  I probably won't recognize the town now.  I told my wife that Abe's was a must-stop.  We're staying at Genetti's on the square.  The wedding is Friday night so Saturday I'm taking my wife to Minor Park (if it's still there), Abe's, the cemetary where my some of my family is buried, and to Dagobert Street to show her the house my Dad grew up in.

I can't wait to sink my teeth into an Abe's hot dog.  There really is nothing like it anywhere else.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                            • No New Messages
                                            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                            • Locked w/ New Messages
                                            • Locked w/o New Messages
                                            • Read Message
                                            • Post New Thread
                                            • Reply to message
                                            • Post New Poll
                                            • Submit Vote
                                            • Post reward post
                                            • Delete my own posts
                                            • Delete my own threads
                                            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com