About Burger King...

Author
Wistah
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 210
2006/06/03 16:23:32 (permalink)

About Burger King...

I was wondering if anyone knows this.....do the individual BK's actually broil any burger patties IN the restaurants? Or are they all "broiled" at a central comissary and shipped to the individual restaurants for nuking? I sometimes wonder how BK ever survived before microwave ovens came along.

25 Replies Related Threads

NebGuy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 875
    RE: About Burger King... 2006/06/03 16:36:19 (permalink)
    Saturday is always a nice day to go trolling isn't it?
    Fieldthistle
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: About Burger King... 2006/06/03 17:18:44 (permalink)
    Hello All,
    To broil or not to broil,
    That is the question?
    No, it is not.
    To micro or not,
    That is the question?
    No, it is not.
    It is the system.
    Whether Wistah is trolling or not, I don't care.
    Do you want fresh "fast food" or nuked fast food?
    And the chorus will sing, "What do you mean by 'fresh fast food.'"
    Some of you will remember it.
    Take Care,
    Fieldthistle
    Bob in Cary
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 137
    RE: About Burger King... 2006/06/03 17:23:32 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Wistah

I was wondering if anyone knows this.....do the individual BK's actually broil any burger patties IN the restaurants? Or are they all "broiled" at a central comissary and shipped to the individual restaurants for nuking? I sometimes wonder how BK ever survived before microwave ovens came along.

I wonder how much of the food we buy at chains is just nuked. I was in the UK a couple of years ago and some company was in the process of buying up the pubs. They were moving the cooking to a central location so that the individual pubs just had to heat up a meal and serve it. I tried to buy a mixed grill in one and was told they were out. I could get lamb chops, sausages and the other things on a mixed grill individually, but no mixed grill. Kind of made me think the stories about the central kitchen might be true.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: About Burger King... 2006/06/03 18:59:21 (permalink)
    The commercial cooking method of the future: http://www.turbochef.com/commercial/our-products.htm
    phatphil
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 668
    RE: About Burger King... 2006/06/03 20:55:24 (permalink)
    my son worked at one recently and they do broil up about a hundred whoppers and burgers at ten thirty in the morning and put them in plastic tubs for nuking when sandwich assembled
    Wistah
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 210
    RE: About Burger King... 2006/06/04 12:52:41 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by phatphil

my son worked at one recently and they do broil up about a hundred whoppers and burgers at ten thirty in the morning and put them in plastic tubs for nuking when sandwich assembled

Thanks...I was NOT trolling and that was the info I was looking for. I guess in a way I was expressing my disgust with the current BK product and wondering why their burgers used to actually have TASTE.
    NebGuy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 875
    RE: About Burger King... 2006/06/04 13:41:12 (permalink)
    Must be a franchise thing. Any BK I've been to around noon, or drove by, had smoke coming out of the the roof which smells remarkably like meat cooking.
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: About Burger King... 2006/06/04 15:22:41 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by NebGuy

Must be a franchise thing. Any BK I've been to around noon, or drove by, had smoke coming out of the the roof which smells remarkably like meat cooking.

You always know when you are near a BK.. I admit, it smells good----
    Ashphalt
    • Total Posts : 1644
    RE: About Burger King... 2006/06/05 09:30:23 (permalink)
    Yes, when we were house hunting three years ago we did a drive-by of a place in our price range about 5 blocks off a main drag. The grill aroma and the blue smoke from the BK was unmistakable. We kept driving.

If they're not grilling a meat-like product, I don't want to know what they're doing.
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: About Burger King... 2006/06/05 10:15:47 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ashphalt

Yes, when we were house hunting three years ago we did a drive-by of a place in our price range about 5 blocks off a main drag. The grill aroma and the blue smoke from the BK was unmistakable. We kept driving.

If they're not grilling a meat-like product, I don't want to know what they're doing.

Your experience reminds me of what happened to my friends parents.
    When they downsized after the kids left home, they bought a 3rd story condo next to an undeveloped lot. About 2 years later, here come a large strip mall, and directly next to the condo side of the land, up goes a BK. Her folks couldnt even keep their sliding glass door open anymore, or even sit out on the balconey. They were pissed.
    roadrash
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 231
    RE: About Burger King... 2006/06/09 13:33:34 (permalink)
    I just like the commercials. The Huckin Chicken one is a classic.
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: About Burger King... 2006/06/24 01:07:52 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Parses6

i kinda like that creepy perverting king dude, not enought to actually eat there though

Apple doesnt fall far from the tree, does it?
    Pwingsx
    • Total Posts : 2170
    RE: About Burger King... 2006/06/24 15:07:11 (permalink)
    I gotta make a confession: I love the Burger King. He is one of the most bizarre, creepiest, funniest ff icons I've seen in a long, long time.

Even better than the spong monkeys, and I was crazy about them too.
    mbrookes
    • Total Posts : 1354
    RE: About Burger King... 2006/06/26 16:19:22 (permalink)
    Fieldthistle,
    You always make me laugh or think, sometimes both with the same sentence. It's a pleasure know you.
    Fieldthistle
    RE: About Burger King... 2006/06/27 06:49:26 (permalink)
    Hello All,
    Thank you, mbrookes.
    It is a pleasure to know you as well.
    Take Care,
    Fieldthistle
    beachbons
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 11
    RE: About Burger King... 2006/06/30 00:17:34 (permalink)
    Burger King started in 1954 and was known as Insta-burgerking, named after the contraption that "created" the burger in their restaurants. After James Mclamore (sp) became involved in the business the Insta-burger machine was thrown out but broiling was retained. Over the years the Whoppers & burgers have been brioled on conveyor-type broilers using mainly natural gas fed open flames. During the natural gas shortage of the mid to late 1970's ( does anyone remember that) Burger King also used a conveyor broiler whose heat source was a series of electrical Cal-rods.

I've worked in a great many fast food burger places over the years and in every one I worked they tried to serve their burgers within 10 minutes of the cooking source. Times may have changed, though, since it has been over 16 years since I last flipped a burger. BTW, BK never had to flip their burgers as the heat source on their broilers was on top as well as on the bottom. As far back as I can remember, mid 1960's, BK always started with frozen patties.

Another thing, we used to "freshen up" the burgers before assembly by giving them a shot of hot steam from the "fresh-o-matics" or later called "roundups". If you're wondering what those are, go into your local Firehouse Subs and watch what they use to warm up your sandwich.
    jellybear
    • Total Posts : 1135
    RE: About Burger King... 2006/06/30 12:46:04 (permalink)
    Dont get your panties in a wad!
    jjjrfoodie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 422
    RE: About Burger King... 2006/06/30 16:54:24 (permalink)
    There's smoke coming out of the stack at the BK down the street from me every day. They must be grilling something these days.

And Parses6, do you really take this forum and it's member's so seriously. Hostile? C'mon, you too have been biting with your humor at times.

Have a great weekend!

How YOU doin'?
    dreamzpainter
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: About Burger King... 2006/06/30 20:10:47 (permalink)
    I'll be your Burger King, if you'll be my Dairy Queen" />, you Treat Me Right and I'll Do It Your Way
    oltheimmer
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 214
    RE: About Burger King... 2006/07/01 07:18:06 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by beachbons

Burger King started in 1954 and was known as Insta-burgerking, named after the contraption that "created" the burger in their restaurants. After James Mclamore (sp) became involved in the business the Insta-burger machine was thrown out but broiling was retained. Over the years the Whoppers & burgers have been brioled on conveyor-type broilers using mainly natural gas fed open flames. During the natural gas shortage of the mid to late 1970's ( does anyone remember that) Burger King also used a conveyor broiler whose heat source was a series of electrical Cal-rods.

I've worked in a great many fast food burger places over the years and in every one I worked they tried to serve their burgers within 10 minutes of the cooking source. Times may have changed, though, since it has been over 16 years since I last flipped a burger. BTW, BK never had to flip their burgers as the heat source on their broilers was on top as well as on the bottom. As far back as I can remember, mid 1960's, BK always started with frozen patties.

Another thing, we used to "freshen up" the burgers before assembly by giving them a shot of hot steam from the "fresh-o-matics" or later called "roundups". If you're wondering what those are, go into your local Firehouse Subs and watch what they use to warm up your sandwich.
    I thought your post was very interesting. I've never worked in food service and enjoy getting some inside dope from time to time. I haven't eaten at BK in about 5 years, ever since there was a flurry of news reports about that chain having more problems concerning hygiene and cleanliness than others in a survey. I haven't been inside a fast food restaurant in a long, long time, and now that I'm retired and can take my time to fix something at home or eat out wherever I want and don't need the convenience and speed of a drive-thru, I go to a fast food place (usually only Whataburger) only about once a month.
    Fieldthistle
    RE: About Burger King... 2006/07/01 08:05:20 (permalink)
    Hello All,
    Dreamzpainter, what a great line! I would hang out at Dairy Queen and try to use
    the line if I weren't married.
    You oughta try to sell it to BK, maybe they'd make the King more romantic than creepy looking.
    Take Care,
    Fieldthistle
    ham-b-guy
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 19
    RE: About Burger King... 2006/08/10 21:14:29 (permalink)
    Of course, the burgers are broiled at the main center and then shipped to the restaurant. For those in the black-out of 2003, notice there werent any burger King restaurants opened. Plus if they char-broiled, they could still have been opened using the gas grill.
    They warm their stuff up in the microwave
    Poverty Pete
    • Total Posts : 2293
    RE: About Burger King... 2006/08/10 21:30:23 (permalink)
    The nerve of those guys! Imagine closing a restaurant simply because there is no electrical power. Would you have them heat their dishwashing water in the gas grill? I suppose they could keep track of the money on an abacus...
    vild
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: About Burger King... 2006/08/19 09:04:09 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ham-b-guy

Of course, the burgers are broiled at the main center and then shipped to the restaurant. For those in the black-out of 2003, notice there werent any burger King restaurants opened. Plus if they char-broiled, they could still have been opened using the gas grill.
    They warm their stuff up in the microwave

Have you any idea how wrong you are? Well, I cant speak for us but I live in sweden and work at bk (have done for over a year now) We buy frozen patties of 100% beef and keep them in freezers until the very moment we put them on the broiler. They get firegrilled on the downside and heated on the top. Then they lay for 0-45 minutes in dukes that keeps them warm (about 70 degrees celcius). They are then made into a hamburger that is sold within 10 minutes or thrown away.

Get your stories straight! All meat is very raw and frozen when they arrive in the restaurant!

-vild
    vild
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: About Burger King... 2006/08/19 09:12:42 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by beachbons

Atleast we dont use any steam anylonger but when you grab the meat from the broiler or the duke you put it on the bread, put whatsever on (cheese, bacon) and put it in the microwave for 7 seconds to warm the cheese, bacon and bread. The burger is already hot enough to be served. Eating a burger which bottompart not have been in the mircowave is not nearly as good. And to have almost cold bacon and cheese is not that pleasent either.

A freshbroiled patty with a salad, a little salt and pepper, maybe a few fries, ahhh, that's just delicious!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1