About Maurice Bessinger

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8695
RE: About Maurice Bessinger 2007/11/16 20:24:04 (permalink)
I have no comment about the subject except to say I am thrilled to see Ort.Carleton's wonderful way with words on our posts again...
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: About Maurice Bessinger 2007/11/18 03:33:00 (permalink)
Hasnt there enought been said here on many threads,??
All you have to do is run the VERY EASY SEARCH FUNCTION, instead of typing in that Bessinger name one too many times?
All the same things have been said over and over for the last several years, but for some reason, no one wants to use the VERY EASY SEARCH function to find this mediocre BBQ joint.
I got ribs to go from the Columbia store,and they sucked.
Yano?
Ihave live in Sc for a year and 9 months, and as very dismayed about the lack of intelligence in the local populace.
They all seem to think they won the war, when in fact, it happened so long ago, and they just cant get over it.
Shame shame shame...
SH** happens, and life goes on,
Grow up and quit acting like your still in the friggin union already.It is most unbecoming to newcomer with that sassy southern attitude.
Makes me run to the north to hear yall BS>

Just show me some kindness and take that "We dont do it that way in the south stickers off your windows, and welcome us yankees with open arms."
The future is where its at, and YALL better get with the times.
You cant live in the past forever.
We all eat food yanno!
I will steal your southern recipes and yankeefi them and make you blush how well they turned out.
Now stop and be hospitable, for your sake..."
Jimeats
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3175
RE: About Maurice Bessinger 2007/11/18 08:54:58 (permalink)
Someone has their panties all in a bunch!
RibRater
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1862
RE: About Maurice Bessinger 2007/11/18 09:02:32 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by roossy90

I will steal your southern recipes and yankeefi them....

You want to add a can of soup to southern recipes? I'll pass....
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: About Maurice Bessinger 2007/11/18 14:06:03 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Jimeats

" />
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4652
RE: About Maurice Bessinger 2007/11/18 15:15:12 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

" />

roossy90
Sirloin
RE: About Maurice Bessinger 2007/11/18 15:31:21 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by bill voss

quote:

quote:

" />

Heeeereeeee's Tara!..
Nice.. I am LMAO here....
Thanks Bill, That totally made my day....
matilda
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 667
RE: About Maurice Bessinger 2007/11/19 12:30:49 (permalink)
I've lived in SC for 43 years and it is a great place. Granted, a not-so-nice attitude, especially in those small towns, nets zero friendly reactions. They're not stupid. That's just the way they play it in order to frustrate the perceived offender.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: About Maurice Bessinger 2007/11/20 00:54:33 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by bill voss
quote:
quote:

" />

Dearfolk,
At least she's showin' us thet she wears panties under them too-short-and-flagrantly-revealin' skirts... some'a'nem hussies hereabouts don't wear NOTHIN' down there, an' don't much keer who knows it! Ain't they got no shame?
Cleaning Out My (Chest Of) Drawers, Ort. Carlton in Dusty (my house, anyway) Athens, Georgia.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
RE: About Maurice Bessinger 2007/11/20 00:58:23 (permalink)
Dearfolk,
She's jest upset a'cause someone stoled her Confederate flag tag offent of her front bumper.
Now the car, that's a differ'nt matter.
About To Get Starred And Barred (Even If I Am A Bit Of A Bard), Ort. Carlton in Nonsecessionist Athens, Georgia.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
RE: About Maurice Bessinger 2007/11/20 01:00:08 (permalink)
Dearfolk,
The Flat Earth Society meeting will now convene.
Not Waffling, Ort. Carlton in Undulant Athens, Georgia.
ayersian
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 903
RE: About Maurice Bessinger 2007/11/29 10:15:25 (permalink)
Re: Maurice's BBQ, I stand corrected, compliments of the lovely Nancypalooza, with whom I dined last week in Columbia. I love Maurice's 'cue -- always have, having grown up in SC -- but I must admit that Hudson's BBQ is much more tender, and their mustard sauce tastes exactly like Maurice's. I doubt I'd be able to taste the difference in a side-by-side comparison.

AND I see Rebel flag stickers on cars/trucks with Mass. plates on a regular basis up here...maybe because it's 'southern' New England?
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3778
RE: About Maurice Bessinger 2007/11/29 17:08:41 (permalink)
Okay, I'll tell y'all . . . the rest of the story. I didn't even tell Chris and Amy this one over dinner.

I ate at Maurice's location on Elmwood last July. I was taking one of my oldest friends and her dad to get something to eat because her mom was in the hospital nearby, and that's what he picked. And as much as I would have said 'no' in practically any other situation, I would have refused him nothing right then. So I shut my mouth and went and had Maurice's barbecue. The register wasn't working right and I do recall making some sort of sotto voce crack about 'Confederate math' but otherwise I was real well behaved. I had my usual Joe sandwich basket.

And it's still good, or at least from that one meal it was. I've heard repeatedly that Maurice's quality control just isn't what it used to be--it used to be airtight--maybe because he doesn't do the volume that he used to do.

So I think we can't really say that I've corrected you Chris. They're within a quality range of each other; truthfully Midlands-SC mustard barbecue sauces are all very similar. I like Hudson's and I go there a lot because I don't feel bad about it. What pissed me off recently is that there was a local 'Free Times' article with a supposedly objective sampling of all the Columbia-area barbecue places by the 'South Carolina Barbecue Association' and they wrote the rules so that Shealy's was too far away. Because Shealy's whips them both.
ayersian
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 903
RE: About Maurice Bessinger 2007/11/30 23:30:44 (permalink)
Well then, how about taking the correction credit the next time we come down and we 'cue it up at Shealy's? For that, we might not wait until next Thanksgiving!
Penoose
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 57
RE: About Maurice Bessinger 2007/12/10 13:40:35 (permalink)
Re: flying the confederate flag

I don't think that the people who fly it are racist - not categorically, anyway - but why not choose a symbol of your heritage that doesn't offend millions of Americans?

Indeed, the Civil War was about state's rights...most notably, the right to own slaves. To some, the flag might stand for rebellion, state's rights, individual governance, etc...but to MANY people, it is a reminder of a regime whose "cornerstone" (so-called by Alexander Stephens) was one of our nation's (and the world's) ugliest institutions.
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3026
RE: About Maurice Bessinger 2007/12/14 05:53:29 (permalink)
I have several bottles of his "Yellow Gold" BBQ sauce and they show the confederate flag. There are some comments from Old Mo on the bottles as well. Maybe the most recent bottles have eliminated the flag on the label? This guy has to be so old..Why does he care what people think of his beliefs? I use to stop on my way up to Pennsylvania all the time in the late 80's. It was decent "Q" but far from the best I've ever had.

I guess what we're hearing is his business might be affected by his stand on flying that flag? This has been going on for years and years. Maybe it's his kids that are pressuring him to change?

Speaking of bottled sauces...Some of you guys should check out the Montgomery Inn's bottled "Q" sauce. I'm not a big fan of bottled "Q" sauces, but I found this one to be very good. This is a restaurant known for their baby back ribs...Not a traditional "Q" restaurant; It's near Cincinatti. They ship the ribs, too.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1