Accent

Author
redtressed
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1017
2003/10/07 18:59:53 (permalink)

Accent

I've decided that the FDA has secretly made MSG a controlled substance, and are making huge amounts of undisclosed dollars off of brands such as ACCENT. I went into Kroger's last night and on my list was msg...(yes I know it's a risky flavor enhancer, but I don't imbibe and don't do recreational drugs so I need some wicked vice.)And low and behold that damn little container was 6.00 dollars, and the Kroger Generic was 5.42. Now I absolutely REFUSE to pay that for glorified salt, especially when I can go to my international grocery and get a pound bag of the stuff for l.29. Now what's with that? There's gotta be some kind of msg drug cartel money making agenda going on in Accentville. (And Rick F. quit making fun of my L shaped ones)

22 Replies Related Threads

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13510
    RE: Accent 2003/10/07 19:17:00 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by redtressed

I've decided that the FDA has secretly made MSG a controlled substance, and are making huge amounts of undisclosed dollars off of brands such as ACCENT. I went into Kroger's last night and on my list was msg...(yes I know it's a risky flavor enhancer, but I don't imbibe and don't do recreational drugs so I need some wicked vice.)And low and behold that damn little container was 6.00 dollars, and the Kroger Generic was 5.42. Now I absolutely REFUSE to pay that for glorified salt, especially when I can go to my international grocery and get a pound bag of the stuff for l.29. Now what's with that? There's gotta be some kind of msg drug cartel money making agenda going on in Accentville. (And Rick F. quit making fun of my L shaped ones)

The Sundancer is not sure of all the qualities of MSG and I know that a lot of restaurants use it as a safety measure. From what I know, it is used as a device to preserve food. It seems that it has an affect on my system that is not pleasent. It seems that it affects me almost immediately. If I know it is present, I do not knowlingly ingest it.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    redtressed
    RE: Accent 2003/10/07 19:19:27 (permalink)
    Many people have an allergy to MSG...similar to the allergies caused by shellfish. I don't use it for general consumption, for people other than myself, because of that. But I sure do like it sprinkled on my fried eggs.......mmmmmmmmm
    spadoman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 228
    RE: Accent 2003/10/07 19:46:09 (permalink)
    quote:

Many people have an allergy to MSG...similar to the allergies caused by shellfish. I don't use it for general consumption, for people other than myself, because of that. But I sure do like it sprinkled on my fried eggs.......mmmmmmmmm

I believe I suffer from this MSG allergy. When I use a soup base, I must search for the kind that contains no such substance.

But, I'll bet you can buy it in Canada,(like prescription drugs) for much cheaper than it costs in the US, this is because of the research that we Americans have to pay for for flavor enhancers.
    LOL
    wesza
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 54
    RE: Accent 2003/10/08 02:31:22 (permalink)
    I'm not sure of how to add a link. But if you'll search on the internet, guess what. THere has not been any conclusive evidence of any ACTUAL, allergy to MSG. What's really surprising was to learn that the higgest concentration of MSg in any natural substance ingested by humans is actually in Nursing Mothers Milk. It is certainly better to use it in place of Salt. Both are very similar in many ways. It's almost impossable to eat natural foods, that don't have any MSG in the composition.

Should you wish to buy MSG, don't buy ACCENT, is a rip off. Any Asian Store generally sell MSG in 1 pound packages at 1.00 to a maximun of 2.00 per package, any where in the USa. Just purchased some AJi-No-Moto Brand in Seattle for $1.29. The majority of MSG, is made from Soy Beans. All Green Leaf Vegetables, contain MSG. Use it in moderation, only as a taste enhancer. It was originally produced from Seaweed.
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2880
    RE: Accent 2003/10/08 04:30:46 (permalink)
    Well, you don't have to be allergic to chile peppers to have a pretty awful reaction to too much of them. It may not be an "allergy" but I have sure seen people turn red and swell up. Last week, after years of eating hardily in Chinatown's MSG palaces, I got my first "reaction" from a Koreatown Thai place. We thought we'd been dosed...lightheaded, dry mouth, confusion...maybe that's why it costs so much!
    redtressed
    RE: Accent 2003/10/08 04:49:19 (permalink)
    Aji-In -Moto is exactly what I usually buy.

Some links to support what you have stated:
    http://nutrition.about.com/library/weekly/aa053199.htm

http://www.greggman.com/edit/editheadlines/2001-04-14.htm

some links that say hmmmmmmmm might, might not:
    http://allergies.about.com/library/weekly/aa022100a.htm
    http://chinesefood.about.com/library/weekly/aa050799.htm
    http://allallergy.net/articles/index.cfm/cdeoc/PP

MSG has never been controversial to me, I have extremely high blood pressure and not used MSG for months and not suffered it's "written in stone" side effect of raising hypertension. I'm MUCH more worried about aspartame.....and it's not allowed in my home, period.
    Having worked in a teaching hospital for over 20 years and many discussions with researchers and physicians.....why this ingredient is STILL allowed for consumption amazes me. I have been in clinical blind tests for aspartame at WVU, Duke and University of Kentucky and amazed at the results. Anything that is a reverse derivative of formaldehyde is just not something I want in my body.
    Willly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 396
    RE: Accent 2003/10/08 08:05:01 (permalink)
    The taste of MSG is called umami in Japan, and they believe it is the fifth taste, along with sweet, sour, salty, and bitter. Used in moderation, I've never had a problem with MSG, but I can almost always taste when it is used.
    renfrew
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 696
    RE: Accent 2003/10/08 08:54:45 (permalink)
    I would add garlic powder to that list of secret FDA controlled substances. Although I usually use fresh, I like powdered for various things and it is a fortune in the grocery store. But I go to ethnic markets and find it in larger quantities for ridiculously low prices.

Chalk it up to the rip off supermarket culture in this country.
    Rick F.
    • Total Posts : 1736
    RE: Accent 2003/10/08 09:40:35 (permalink)
    quote:

(And Rick F. quit making fun of my L shaped ones)
    The l I will!
    hilldweller
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 168
    RE: Accent 2003/10/08 16:42:59 (permalink)
    What's the difference between a Southern ACCENT and a New York ACCENT?
    redtressed
    RE: Accent 2003/10/08 17:11:58 (permalink)
    Mr F..(something about calling you that seems so right) you will be insanely jealous when I get my new keyboard that has ones and even nifty character sets that will stun and amaze you....you just wait..exclaimation point(that's shot too being on the one key)

As far as accents...'round these them here parts, it's kind of a southern y'all combined with a Pittsburgian you'uns, tempered with a few mountain tendencies(i.e. as an English major in college, the faculty did not beat the dropping of g's on words out of me.(drippin's, runnin', lovin', sleepin', cookin' etc)
    Lone Star
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: Accent 2003/10/08 17:13:19 (permalink)
    The Southern accent does not hurt your ears
    spadoman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 228
    RE: Accent 2003/10/09 05:56:07 (permalink)
    To have a Minnesota accent, just start each sentence with "So" and end it with "then". If you want to add a little up-north to your twang, just say "eh" after all the rest.

So, you're sayin' that you don't get allergic reactions from MSG then, eh?

Well, you betcha you can.
    hilldweller
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 168
    RE: Accent 2003/10/09 12:48:17 (permalink)
    quote:
    Mr F..(something about calling you that seems so right)

Am I Mr. F? If so, how did I get to be Mr. F?

quote:
    (drippin's, runnin', lovin', sleepin', cookin' etc)

Is this a list of everything that matters in life?

quote:
    As far as accents...
    Alls I knows fer shur is dat de rest'a youse bums tawk funny. Tank gawd fer dat.
    redtressed
    RE: Accent 2003/10/09 18:23:30 (permalink)
    quote:
    quote:
    Mr F..(something about calling you that seems so right)

Am I Mr. F? If so, how did I get to be Mr. F?

quote:

Well Mr F is Rick F for making fun of my substituting my L's for my broken one key. I'm still trying to come up with a very witty pet name for you,give me time

quote:
    quote:
    (drippin's, runnin', lovin', sleepin', cookin' etc)

Is this a list of everything that matters in life?

Natch....but not in that order and would add cooin', spoonin', laughin',parentin', swoonin', travelin',eatin', and lots of ones not fit for a family oriented site.

quote:
    quote:
    As far as accents...
    Alls I knows fer shur is dat de rest'a youse bums tawk funny. Tank gawd fer dat.

Nothing is so melodical as the lilt of we good folk south of the Mason Dixon Line(I qualify by a hair....I'm 6 miles below)(C'mon Bubbas and Bubbettes, back me up on this one)
    Lone Star
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: Accent 2003/10/09 19:08:12 (permalink)
    Well, I already said the Southern accent doesn't hurt your ears!

Occasionally, during drive time, I will attempt to listen to a certain nationally syndicated talk-show, but I can only take about 10 minutes because his voice makes my teeth hurt.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6903
    RE: Accent 2003/10/09 19:15:20 (permalink)
    I didn't know Morgantown, WV was south of the Mason Dixon Line! Shucks, I have family there and still consider it the East Coast! But then again, living in Alaska............everywhere is east. " />
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: Accent 2003/10/09 19:19:07 (permalink)
    BTW, to get back onto the subject of MSG, those of us in the restaurant biz affectionately refer to this substance as "flavor crystals" because somehow it DOES enhance the flavor of a soup, without adding any salty flavor. I never purchased pure MSG powder but did prefer the lobster base, clam base and chicken bases that contained it.
    redtressed
    RE: Accent 2003/10/09 19:56:46 (permalink)
    quote:
    lleechef Posted - 10/09/2003 : 19:15:20
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I didn't know Morgantown, WV was south of the Mason Dixon Line! Shucks, I have family there and still consider it the East Coast! But then again, living in Alaska............everywhere is east.

yup it sho' nuff is. In fact we just had the Mason Dixon Festival here a couple of weeks ago. I could tell from the moment I saw you mention Giant Eagle, that you had to be somewhere near me at one time. Alaska is one of my, "when I gotta move, that's where I wanna go" selections so I may enjoy your kitchen yet:D
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: Accent 2003/10/10 02:35:03 (permalink)
    well, redtressed, you just come on up here from West By God Virginia and see what REAL country is like. I came here on vacation and quit my job in Boston, left behind a $35,000 bonus.......there's quite nothing like finding one of the most beautiful places on the planet....and then deciding to live there. NO regrets on my part!! After all, living well is the best revenge........you can be sure.
    howard8
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 355
    RE: Accent 2003/10/10 10:50:42 (permalink)
    I recently heard about and tried with great success a new use for msg. When using a cast iron skillet to cook steak, sprinkle msg in the pan after it comes to temperature. The steak will not stick to the pan and no oil is needed for the searing process.
    wesza
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 54
    RE: Accent 2003/10/12 01:26:00 (permalink)

Lleechef: The flavor crystals are much better utilized to enhance flavor, when not added to commercial made Bases, since it often clashes with Salt that is often a major ingredient in these products. Try buying any brand of MSG, especially from a Asian store since the price is generall less the $1.90 per pound. Reduce any stock you make until it strong flavored with no salt added. Season to taste with MSG, trying by applying a little at a time. Cool down and place in cubes to freeze or keep under refrigeration for preperation of sauces, gravy and soups. You'll probably get a raise, plus reduce food costs. Irwin
    quote:
    Originally posted by lleechef

BTW, to get back onto the subject of MSG, those of us in the restaurant biz affectionately refer to this substance as "flavor crystals" because somehow it DOES enhance the flavor of a soup, without adding any salty flavor. I never purchased pure MSG powder but did prefer the lobster base, clam base and chicken bases that contained it.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1