LockedAcross the Nation (Best of List) - Eating The Road

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 9
Author
EatingTheRoad
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1205
Re:Across the Nation (Best of List) - Eating The Road 2009/10/13 11:50:56 (permalink)
Looks like I've got to head to Mullens Dairy for ice cream. Also I’ve got to head back to Old Forge to check out Revello's, Brutico's and Ghigiarelli's.

Village Farmer Bakery for pie. Are you kidding me, $1.49 for a hot dog and a slice of apple pie…and over 35 flavors of pie…plus a free pie with a $100 purchase :) Also, ddbmus, I think the pie place in Lanesboro is the Aroma Pie Shop, does that sound right? …and apparently Betty’s Pies, The  Rustic Inn and The Pie Place are all on my list.
tikiNext time you go--Bobcat bites!!!!for sure --and in have some fish and chips/seafood platters in New England that will knock your socks off

I meant to say, I did stop at Bobcat Bite and I loved it…it just missed my top burger list by a smidge though. It was however one of my favorite stops, it’s got so much character. And speaking of these New England fish & chip spots….name em’ for me.
NancypaloozaI saw you were in New Orleans--did you try the muffaletta at the Central Grocery?

You know, I did not…I really probably should have…the Muffaletta isn’t one of the foods that I’m thrilled to try…I’m not a huge olive fan, but next time I will try it for sure.
FoodbmeNice Job! I don't think you're too far from Penn State University. The Creamery at the University is the Center of the Ice Cream Universe1 Be sure to put it on your list for future trips.

That place is certainly on my list. I saw something on the Travel Channel  (or some such channel) about it and it looks awesome.

One of my first stops was Al’s Place in Locke, CA. What a treat that was. Here’s my write-up on it:
http://eatingtheroad.wordpress.com/2009/10/13/als-place/
…you may have already read my write-up here but I added a little.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7956
Re:Across the Nation (Best of List) - Eating The Road 2009/10/13 19:06:19 (permalink)
NC Cheesehead

Wanderingjew,

I may have had a bad experience but I need to be honest with you....I am not a big fan of buffets.  (No offense to Buffetbuster, I love his taste of great pies!)  So maybe I walked in with a skewed thought process of what to expect.  This I will say...the food was fresh.  Many other buffets that I have been to were the type where the food sat around forever under a heat lamp and it was either became soggy or dried out (depending on the dish).  Lady and sons was busy so most things never had the chance to sit around.  But I just couldn't get beyond what appeared to be processed pressed meat.  Oh and by the way, I am a full blooded Yankee.  I was born and raised in Wisconsin and lived there all my life and just moved to NC two and a half months ago which might explain my posts where I am craving supper clubs, fish fries, frozen custard, good bratwurst just to name a few.  I enjoy your posts by the way....especially your trip reports.  Keep them coming.  I use many of those to make my decisions on where to eat while traveling.  99% of the time, I agree with you.  Lady and Sons may have been the 1%

NC Cheesehead

I should have figured you had a midwestern connection, considering your screen name. One of my very best friends grew up in the Milwaukee Suburbs and is now a transplanted "southerner" like yourself living 45 minutes north west of Charlotte

Thanks for the compliment.

I'll admit I didn't have Turkey or Ham, but the fried chicken at Lady and Sons was outstanding, I remember waiting at the buffet table for it to come out hot and crispy from the fryer. My only complaint was that the squash or eggplant casserole (I truly don't know which one it was) was lukewarm but still tasty and the iced tea was just way, way , way too sweet. Other than that I had a very memorable meal.
EatingTheRoad
Re:Across the Nation (Best of List) - Eating The Road 2009/10/14 10:25:43 (permalink)
Next stop...The Squeeze Inn (with their wonderful cheese skirt):
http://www.eatingtheroad....009/10/14/squeeze-inn/

NC Cheesehead
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 158
Re:Across the Nation (Best of List) - Eating The Road 2009/10/14 17:34:17 (permalink)
EatingTheRoad

Next stop...The Squeeze Inn (with their wonderful cheese skirt):
http://www.eatingtheroad....009/10/14/squeeze-inn/

Oh my god does that look good.  I may have to check my cholesterol level after eating that baby.  Wow!
hatteras04
  • Total Posts : 1102
Re:Across the Nation (Best of List) - Eating The Road 2009/10/15 10:06:29 (permalink)
I have been to the Virginia Diner twice now and I loved it both times.  But then again all I had were ham biscuits and peanut pie both time.  I thought both were outstanding.  And my wife loved the peanut salad dressing.  I did take a look at the buffet and it didn't tempt me at all.
EatingTheRoad
Re:Across the Nation (Best of List) - Eating The Road 2009/10/15 11:30:35 (permalink)
hatteras04
I have been to the Virginia Diner twice now and I loved it both times.  But then again all I had were ham biscuits and peanut pie both time.  I thought both were outstanding.  And my wife loved the peanut salad dressing.  I did take a look at the buffet and it didn't tempt me at all.

Unfortunately that's exactly what I had too. I found the ham biscuits too be extremely salty and the "Waldorf Salad" to be lettuce smothered in a peanut buttery goop. The Peanut Pie (which I was looking forward to with great expectations) was hard and just not what I was expecting. I wish I would have seen buffetbusters picture of his pie, because I certainly would've tried that!

Next stop on the tour...
Original Mel's in Sacramento - http://eatingtheroad.word...els-original-drive-in/
...and The California State Fair - http://eatingtheroad.word...california-state-fair/

post edited by EatingTheRoad - 2009/10/15 11:32:16
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10486
Re:Across the Nation (Best of List) - Eating The Road 2009/10/15 11:42:56 (permalink)
EatingTheRoad-
I have only been to the Virginia Diner the one occasion and we really liked the place.  Not everything was good, but the country ham and desserts were first rate.  Sorry to hear about the hard peanut pie.  Since that is what they are best known for, I would have been really disappointed, too, if that is what I was served.

Oh, and I enjoyed looking through your blog.  Welcome to Roadfood and I hope you continue to stick around!
EatingTheRoad
Re:Across the Nation (Best of List) - Eating The Road 2009/10/15 12:23:26 (permalink)
buffetbuster
Welcome to Roadfood and I hope you continue to stick around!

Are you kidding me! If I can keep finding posts like these...
http://www.roadfood.com/F...ed-before&m=434990
http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/tm.aspx?m=472614

...from you how can I not stick around. How do you do it? Are you ALWAYS on the road? I only wish I could try every place you've tried. What do you do for a living? (aside from eating like a King )

chewingthefat
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6186
Re:Across the Nation (Best of List) - Eating The Road 2009/10/15 13:48:30 (permalink)
Great job ETR, very professional looking. Breakfast tip, Nini's Cafe in San Mateo Cal. the place is always packed with an incredible cross section of humanity, always a good sign, $2500.00 suit's next to workboots. Great Italian omlette, great hash, etc. Keep up the great work!
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15321
Re:Across the Nation (Best of List) - Eating The Road 2009/10/15 13:57:04 (permalink)
ETR-
   I think everyone knows that BB was a teenage Powerball Winner some years ago and his roadfood travels are really only the secondary aftereffects of his dodging relatives seeking large 'interest-free' investment backing!

EatingTheRoad
Re:Across the Nation (Best of List) - Eating The Road 2009/10/16 09:53:14 (permalink)
chewingthefat
Great job ETR, very professional looking. Breakfast tip, Nini's Cafe in San Mateo Cal. the place is always packed with an incredible cross section of humanity, always a good sign, $2500.00 suit's next to workboots. Great Italian omlette, great hash, etc. Keep up the great work!

Thanks! I'll have to try them out. I always love places were you see such dichotomies.

mayor alETR-
   I think everyone knows that BB was a teenage Powerball Winner some years ago and his roadfood travels are really only the secondary aftereffects of his dodging relatives seeking large 'interest-free' investment backing!

I'm starting to believe that as quite a feasible explanation!

Next stop of the schedule...Fab Hot Dogs:
http://eatingtheroad.wordpress.com/2009/10/16/fabs-hot-dogs/

mar52
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8318
Re:Across the Nation (Best of List) - Eating The Road 2009/10/16 10:24:39 (permalink)
Fab is my favorite choice for a hot dog when I feel like driving the 9 miles from work. 

Just give me a split and grilled dog with grllled onions and mustard.  Once in awhile I'll have a Ripper dressed the same way.

Great place although I do not like his homemade chili or Ripper sauce. That's just me though as there are spices in them that I don't like.

Fab is where when I trieed to walk through the door I found it locked because Guy Fieri was there filming an episode of DD&D.

Best dogs in the San Fernando Valley...  they're from New Jersey.

EatingTheRoad
Re:Across the Nation (Best of List) - Eating The Road 2009/10/17 09:09:50 (permalink)
....next stop...Manuel's El Tepeyac in Los Angeles:
http://eatingtheroad.word...2009/10/17/el-tepeyac/

The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3764
Re:Across the Nation (Best of List) - Eating The Road 2009/10/17 10:57:21 (permalink)
Wow.  Your travels are great, but I am fascinated at the quality of your picture-taking.  What camera are you using?
joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4565
Re:Across the Nation (Best of List) - Eating The Road 2009/10/17 12:35:31 (permalink)
EatingTheRoad, Thanks for the video link to the Fab's segment on Triple D.  I was waiting for the rerun to copy that recipe down.

Also, check out some of the Old Forge trip reports here on RF.  Ghig's is the homerun.

I believe Brutico's(the building) is still owned by the Brutico Family, but they do not run it anymore.

Welcome aboard! 
seatown76
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 379
Re:Across the Nation (Best of List) - Eating The Road 2009/10/17 14:31:19 (permalink)
WOW is all I have to say...what a great report. But I do have to say if you want a good fish and chips then come to Wisconsin.
EatingTheRoad
Re:Across the Nation (Best of List) - Eating The Road 2009/10/17 14:55:27 (permalink)
The Travelin Man
Wow.  Your travels are great, but I am fascinated at the quality of your picture-taking.  What camera are you using?

Thanks, it's a just a Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT (and a few years old), the secret is taking a 100 photos and deleting 99 of them

joerogoAlso, check out some of the Old Forge trip reports here on RF.  Ghig's is the homerun.
I believe Brutico's(the building) is still owned by the Brutico Family, but they do not run it anymore.
Welcome aboard! 

Yeah, I read those...I know, I've got to get back out to Old Forge!

You mean the recipe for the Bald Eagle Relish, right?

-- Düsseldorf mustard, sweet relish, shredded cabbage, shredded carrots, diced onions, garlic, Mexican oregano, chili powder, cider vinager, & celery seeds --

seatown76
WOW is all I have to say...what a great report. But I do have to say if you want a good fish and chips then come to Wisconsin.

Thanks. So exactly which places should I stop in WI for F&Cs?

tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
Re:Across the Nation (Best of List) - Eating The Road 2009/10/17 16:31:23 (permalink)
Ok--fish and chips in Massachsetts---The Redwing--a KILLER seafood place on rte 1 just south of Foxboro and Gillettte Stadium--where the Pats play. Ypou wi;;l lovit---get the Fishermans Platter---and be hungry! Im 62 qand remember my dad taking me there for lunch when i worked with him as a kid in the summer---it was great then and great the last time i was there two yrs ago--and my brother had lunch there a bit age and says they are still great!---and you HAVE to eat good fried clams and chowda! too, while your in New England !
NC Cheesehead
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 158
Re:Across the Nation (Best of List) - Eating The Road 2009/10/17 21:35:03 (permalink)
That steak taco has to be the  best looking I have ever seen.  Great photo!  Ill bet it tasted even better.

EatingTheRoad
Re:Across the Nation (Best of List) - Eating The Road 2009/10/18 09:35:55 (permalink)
NC Cheesehead

That steak taco has to be the  best looking I have ever seen.  Great photo!  Ill bet it tasted even better.

Thanks...and yes it was heavenly.

Next stop was Fuddruckers and Randy's Donuts:
http://eatingtheroad.word...009/10/18/fuddruckers/
http://eatingtheroad.word...9/10/18/randys-donuts/

This was my first 10 out of 10. I have never tasted a better donut. I'm sure others are going to have a different opinion...but as for me...I'm a Randy's groupie now! I want one right now SO bad.

mar52
Sirloin
Re:Across the Nation (Best of List) - Eating The Road 2009/10/18 13:23:15 (permalink)
How interesting is your assessment of Randy's.  I don't live far from Randy's and pass it often when on the freeway.

Just because of your report I'm going to give Randy's another try.  I happen to love ordinary donuts as much as I love extraordinary donuts!

Next time that you're in the Los Angeles area, Westwood to be specific you need to try Stan's Donuts.

They aren't your traditional donuts but they are the best I've ever had.

I used to really tout Primo's in West Los Angeles but the last few times I stopped there the pretzel shaped donuts were like sponges full of grease.  I'd still recommend Primo's because the other varieties are outstanding.

I also love Manuel's El Tepeyac.  My suggestion is next time try their burrito.  YUM!

I'm loving your report.  Thanks for sharing it and your blog with us.

EatingTheRoad
Re:Across the Nation (Best of List) - Eating The Road 2009/10/18 16:51:36 (permalink)
mar52
How interesting is your assessment of Randy's.  I don't live far from Randy's and pass it often when on the freeway.

Just because of your report I'm going to give Randy's another try.  I happen to love ordinary donuts as much as I love extraordinary donuts!

Next time that you're in the Los Angeles area, Westwood to be specific you need to try Stan's Donuts.

They aren't your traditional donuts but they are the best I've ever had.

I used to really tout Primo's in West Los Angeles but the last few times I stopped there the pretzel shaped donuts were like sponges full of grease.  I'd still recommend Primo's because the other varieties are outstanding.

I'm glad to inspire. I would love to hear what you think of it. I will certainly try Stan's & Primo's next time I'm in that area.
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Across the Nation (Best of List) - Eating The Road 2009/10/18 21:27:51 (permalink)
You got a deal.  

What time of day did you drive through?  I'm wondering if the after work donuts are as good as the morning donuts.

Maybe that's been my problem.
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3486
Re:Across the Nation (Best of List) - Eating The Road 2009/10/18 22:39:36 (permalink)
Randy's fan here. That little stand and I go back to the fifties, when my Dad would head over there from South Inglewood and bring home a big pink box full of doughy goodness from the place, then called The Big Donut.
EatingTheRoad
Re:Across the Nation (Best of List) - Eating The Road 2009/10/19 09:51:33 (permalink)
mar52
What time of day did you drive through?  I'm wondering if the after work donuts are as good as the morning donuts.

I was there at 6:30 AM...but I'm pretty sure the make 'em hot and fresh constantly.

enginecaptRandy's fan here. That little stand and I go back to the fifties, when my Dad would head over there from South Inglewood and bring home a big pink box full of doughy goodness from the place, then called The Big Donut.

Now that's a good dad!

Next stop on my tour is Pink's Hot Dogs: http://eatingtheroad.word.../10/19/pinks-hot-dogs/

enginecapt
Filet Mignon
Re:Across the Nation (Best of List) - Eating The Road 2009/10/19 10:30:45 (permalink)
Pink's... feh.
EatingTheRoad
Re:Across the Nation (Best of List) - Eating The Road 2009/10/19 11:01:48 (permalink)
enginecapt

Pink's... feh.

Agreed
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
Re:Across the Nation (Best of List) - Eating The Road 2009/10/19 11:21:07 (permalink)
Give Oki Dog a try sometime.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7956
Re:Across the Nation (Best of List) - Eating The Road 2009/10/19 11:31:09 (permalink)
Eatingtheroad

Going to Southern Cal and ignoring the Smoothie scene is a crime.
Not only are there more smoothie joints per capita than any other part of the country, but they're also the best- made from real fresh fruit, not powders and syrups or "old frozen fruit" like you find in the rest of the country.

Also not to be ignored are the wacky/crazy sushi rolls. This style of sushi rolls were invented in LA are as american as apple pie and consist of baked or tempura fried fish with various toppings. I've seen nothing quite like it in the rest of the country, even NYC and Boston haven't caught on yet!

What's interesting is that when you venture onto other websites that group together regional food- LA and Southern California always get the nod for smoothies and american style sushi rolls 
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
Re:Across the Nation (Best of List) - Eating The Road 2009/10/19 11:47:15 (permalink)
You forgot one, Dale.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 9
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1