The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Adams Morgan area

carlton pierre

• Total Posts: 2500
Adams Morgan area Thu, 03/10/05 3:43 PM (permalink)
This area of Wash DC came up on another thread and I thought those DC'ers or DC visitors might want to share some of their experiences at various Adams Morgan restaurants.

mtbuckingham

• Total Posts: 65
    RE: Adams Morgan area Thu, 03/10/05 4:27 PM (permalink)
    Oooh! This is my 'hood. As far as restaurants go, I wouldn't know where to start. What are you interested in hearing about?
    We have Ethiopian (lots!), Middle Eastern, Italian, Mexican, Thai, Malaysian, Cajun, Diner American, French, Salvadoran, Ghanian, soul food, etc.

We have empanadas, falafel, tapas, crepes, dives, upscale, drag brunches, mezze, fusion, etc.
    Some of our current favorites include Cashion's Eat Place (more upscale- and Ann Cashion is a James Beard winner), Regent Thai, Julia's Empanadas (for a quick, super cheap meal), Mixtec, the new Mexican bakery on Columbia, Amsterdam Falafel (again- super cheap)...
    We've also enjoyed Mantis, Perry's, Meze, Rumba Cafe, Chez Antoine (RIP), the Reef, Asylum (25 cent tacos and wings at happy hour), Meskerem, and many more. All within a couple blocks radius.
    :)
    I can get specific- let me know.

mtbuckingham

RE: Adams Morgan area Thu, 03/10/05 4:41 PM (permalink)
      (sorry, I get a little excited about my home)

meowzart

• Total Posts: 773
        RE: Adams Morgan area Thu, 03/10/05 4:54 PM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by mtbuckingham

drag brunches,

Oh please do get specific about this one!! Did you run into i95 at one of these?

Carlton--basically whatever food you are craving, you can find in Adams Morgan. The neighborhood radiates out from about 18th St. NW and Columbia Rd. NW (is this about right mtbuckingham?). The name comes from two of the neighborhood's schools. Along with every cuisine possible, it is also full of funky-cool shops and it is THE best place in the city to people watch (unless you want to see politicos).

rbpalmer

• Total Posts: 469
          RE: Adams Morgan area Thu, 03/10/05 4:57 PM (permalink)
          Probably my favorite area for restaurants and nightlife in the DC area, with a tremendous variety of good, inexpensive ethnic eateries. The biggest problem, I think, is that parking can be a nightmare, especially on Friday and Saturday nights, and the closest subway stop is probably at Columbia Heights, which is a five or six block walk through some pretty seedy neighborhoods. This doesn't keep my wife and me from going, however. We just arrive there early enough to get a good parking space (6-7 p.m.), and we have a blast (when we can get a sitter for the kids, that is)!

Mixtec, a small Mexican place (near 18th and Columbia Rd.) is one of my favorites. I often go there for lunch for their excellent tortas (Mexican subs).

mtbuckingham

RE: Adams Morgan area Thu, 03/10/05 5:11 PM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by meowzart

quote:

drag brunches,

Oh please do get specific about this one!! Did you run into i95 at one of these?

Carlton--basically whatever food you are craving, you can find in Adams Morgan. The neighborhood radiates out from about 18th St. NW and Columbia Rd. NW (is this about right mtbuckingham?). The name comes from two of the neighborhood's schools. Along with every cuisine possible, it is also full of funky-cool shops and it is THE best place in the city to people watch (unless you want to see politicos).

Meowzart- yes, and he looks fabulous in heels. ;)
            Perry's (on Columbia) has drag brunches every Sunday, I believe. I haven't yet had the fortune of experiencing it, but I heard it's great fun, and the men I see getting off their shifts look very glam. One of these days...

And yes- you're right about everything in your post. I live off Columbia, just behind 18th (share the alley with the restaurants and rats).
            And we have some politicos, too! Especially Mayor Anthony Williams and the local gov. types (they all frequent the Diner, where my fiance manages- he'd kill me if he knew I forgot to plug it!)

rbpalmer- I've always found the Woodley Park metro stop to be a nice stroll in good weather- about a 10 minute walk. In a safer neighborhood. But yes, parking is atrocious (thank God for my space in the garage...and the fact that we stay put on the weekends...)
            And yes, Mixtec had great tortas. :)

carlton pierre

RE: Adams Morgan area Thu, 03/10/05 5:29 PM (permalink)
              I love it. This sounds like a neat place. I've not been there but my wife has frequented the Ethiopian places and just loves this area.

mtbuckingham

RE: Adams Morgan area Thu, 03/10/05 5:36 PM (permalink)
                I love it- but it's not really the cleanest of neighborhoods. If you want a better impression of it, try not to be there around at 3:00 am on the weekend, when the streets are littered with drunken bargoers, pizza, paper plates, cigarettes, newspapers, taxis, and fistfights. And the occasional naked person.

wheregreggeats.com

RE: Adams Morgan area Thu, 03/10/05 5:40 PM (permalink)
                  Madam's Organ was a decent blues-party-music bar last time I was there.

Be careful, or you may be a contributor to the mtbuckingham scene (above). I am sure I've been -- at least close.

mtbuckingham

RE: Adams Morgan area Thu, 03/10/05 5:47 PM (permalink)
                    Heck, I've contributed to the scene aplenty (oddly enough, mostly before we lived there). Madam's Organ is probably our favorite bar. It almost always gets jumping with great bluesy bands. We have to be careful though- they feed us free drinks all night, and sometimes we can't get away (as soon as we try to place the mug down on the bar and make a break for it, there's another waiting for us)
                    Ah, the pitfalls of dating a restaurant professional...

They have decent soul food, too.

seafarer john

RE: Adams Morgan area Thu, 03/10/05 6:06 PM (permalink)
                      I may have my neighborhoods confused, but I thought we were lost in Adams Morgan one night when me, my wife, and my maiden aunt, had to run a gauntlet of "ladies of the evening". Alone, I might have enjoyed the neighborhood...

cheers, John

mtbuckingham

RE: Adams Morgan area Thu, 03/10/05 6:11 PM (permalink)
                        I wouldn't be too surprised if you were in Adams Morgan (or a surrounding area), though last summer the "ladies of the evening" were almost indistinguishable from some of the lovely young bargoers...

seafarer john

RE: Adams Morgan area Thu, 03/10/05 9:07 PM (permalink)
                          I've been corrected. A gauntlet is a glove. A gantlet is something you have to run thru.

Cheers, John

carlton pierre

RE: Adams Morgan area Tue, 04/26/05 5:06 PM (permalink)
                            quote:

Oooh! This is my 'hood. As far as restaurants go, I wouldn't know where to start. What are you interested in hearing about?
                            We have Ethiopian (lots!), Middle Eastern, Italian, Mexican, Thai, Malaysian, Cajun, Diner American, French, Salvadoran, Ghanian, soul food, etc.

We have empanadas, falafel, tapas, crepes, dives, upscale, drag brunches, mezze, fusion, etc.
                            Some of our current favorites include Cashion's Eat Place (more upscale- and Ann Cashion is a James Beard winner), Regent Thai, Julia's Empanadas (for a quick, super cheap meal), Mixtec, the new Mexican bakery on Columbia, Amsterdam Falafel (again- super cheap)...
                            We've also enjoyed Mantis, Perry's, Meze, Rumba Cafe, Chez Antoine (RIP), the Reef, Asylum (25 cent tacos and wings at happy hour), Meskerem, and many more. All within a couple blocks radius.
                            :)

I was there a few weeks ago. I ate Thai one night at a place nearby, on Connecticut I believe, but can't remember the name. right near Ruth's Chris.
                            I was bummed that The Red Sea had closed so I went to Julia's Empanada's and had one. Liked it so much I went back and had another and decided to save Ethiopian for next visit. Julia's was great.
                            Also had a great "hot" chili dog near the Capitol for $1.50 that was incredible from a cart.
                            Adams Morgan area was certainly a neat place for food, but shopping as well.

dctourist

• Total Posts: 325
                              RE: Adams Morgan area Fri, 05/6/05 11:41 AM (permalink)
                              The best new(ish) ethnic place in Adams Morgan (IMHO) is Amsterdam Falafel. They make some silly jokes about pot brownies and such, but the falafel is inexpensive, excellent, and totally homemade and fresh. Great fries, too, and for both you have a number of toppings - a salad bar's worth, really - from middle-Eastern to Belgian-style. They also have chicken shawarma but it always makes me nervous so I stayed away.

dctourist

• Total Posts: 325
                                RE: Adams Morgan area Fri, 05/6/05 11:44 AM (permalink)
                                quote:
                                Originally posted by rbpalmer

Probably my favorite area for restaurants and nightlife in the DC area, with a tremendous variety of good, inexpensive ethnic eateries. The biggest problem, I think, is that parking can be a nightmare, especially on Friday and Saturday nights, and the closest subway stop is probably at Columbia Heights, which is a five or six block walk through some pretty seedy neighborhoods. This doesn't keep my wife and me from going, however. We just arrive there early enough to get a good parking space (6-7 p.m.), and we have a blast (when we can get a sitter for the kids, that is)!

Depends which direction you're coming from, but I think the Woodley Park/Adams Morgan stop on the red line is closer than Columbia Heights, probably safer as well, and has a very pretty view from the Duke Ellington bridge. I am lucky enough to have a bus line that goes from my doorstep right to the 'hood! I agree, though, parking sucks.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                  • No New Messages
                                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                                  • Read Message
                                  • Post New Thread
                                  • Reply to message
                                  • Post New Poll
                                  • Submit Vote
                                  • Post reward post
                                  • Delete my own posts
                                  • Delete my own threads
                                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com