Adirondack Mtns Trip Report (with pics)-Part Two

Author
billyboy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2409
2007/07/24 12:13:34 (permalink)

Adirondack Mtns Trip Report (with pics)-Part Two

Our second day in Old Forge, we all had breakfast at Keyes Pancake House on Main St. There was a pretty big line, but we managed to get in pretty quickly. Their hours are different than most places as they pick up during the busy season and slow down in the winter.

The front of Keyes.

The corned beef hash and eggs part of my breakfast. Mashed up with some ketchup, it was delicious!

My friend Miriam's egg and cheese scramble with home fries, sausage and bacon.

My full breakfast with 2 plain buttermilk pancakes. I get down on pancakes a lot as I've had many heavy, bad versions, but there were light, spongy and airy. I could have gone through a stack of them. I ordered 2 cornmeal pancakes on the side to share with my girlfriend (sorry, no pic). She didn't like them very much, but I loved them. The cornmeal gave them a wonderful grainy texture and they were extremely tangy (I think they may have been mixed with a sourdough batter). An acquired taste for some. but addictive. A bit heavy to eat though, as a side to a full breakfast.

My girlfriend's folded pancakes with apples. She wasn't crazy about them and I thought they were just okay. We both thought the apple filling may have been canned and too sweet.

An order of the strawberry french toast. It looked great and got a thumbs up from those who ordered it.

An order of french toast, scrambled eggs and bacon. My friend Doug liked it, but wished the bacon had been cooked a bit more.

The staff was very accommodating and took our picture.

On the way back to the motel after dinner the night before, we saw this deer.

Another shot of Bambi.

A few hours later, my girlfriend and I were heading back to our room and our friend said, "Billy, take a photo of the bear". I said, "What are you talking about"? Upon walking a little further, I saw a black bear in the parking lot of the motel walking towards our car. He turned towards us, then ran behind the building. My friend wanted to get closer for a photo, but common sense prevailed and we hid in her room for a while until she drove us to our room.

6 Replies Related Threads

ynotryme
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 562
    RE: Adirondack Mtns Trip Report (with pics)-Part Two 2007/07/24 12:31:16 (permalink)
    Except during hunting season, bear and deer are plentiful. the deer will come right up to your car,looking for a handout. I'm from about 30 miles southwest from Old Forge. I would set at my dining room and see 40 - 50 does and yearlings graze in my backyard after the corn was harvested. If you drive on RT17 in the southern tier, you see hundreds laying in the sun on the side of the hills.
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3531
    RE: Adirondack Mtns Trip Report (with pics)-Part Two 2007/07/24 23:21:58 (permalink)
    I love the pic of your whole gang in the pancake house!

Yup, the sad reality is that those apples in the folded pancake sandwich probably WERE canned.
    So what else is new?!?

I want to try cornmeal pancakes again... ( had some once fairly recently , and I remember thinking they were pretty decent) But they don't appear on pancake menus often enough, right?

roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Adirondack Mtns Trip Report (with pics)-Part Two 2007/07/25 18:15:01 (permalink)
    Great Photos...
    The Adirondacks are such a beautiful area.
    I loved my 2 years living there!
    Last time I was there in 2005, I too, had breakfast at Keyes....
    Too bad you didnt get pizza from Frankies....
    I have pic's similar to yours from McCauley.....
    Oh... I have such warm feelings looking at your photos..
    None from the Knotty Pine?.....
    dannybotz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 357
    RE: Adirondack Mtns Trip Report (with pics)-Part Two 2007/07/25 18:17:01 (permalink)
    look at part 3
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    RE: Adirondack Mtns Trip Report (with pics)-Part Two 2007/07/26 23:26:10 (permalink)
    Great photos. Wish you had gotten a picture of the bear.
    chickenwingking
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 59
    RE: Adirondack Mtns Trip Report (with pics)-Part Two 2007/08/14 14:38:56 (permalink)
    Loved the photos. We obviously think a lot alike! We were skiing at Gore last Winter and didn't find any memorable places to eat until we were heading home when we stopped for dinner at the Merrel Magee House in Warrensburg which was wonderful!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1