The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Adirondack ice cream

NancyPeter

• Total Posts: 233
Adirondack ice cream Fri, 06/13/03 1:18 PM (permalink)
Has anyone ever visited Custard's Last Stand in Long Lake, New York? They have been serving the best soft ice cream from their circa 1956 building for what seems like forever to me (I spent every summer vacation during my 1960's childhood in Long Lake). Now my two boys look forward to their daily cone whenever we're in town.

No table service, nothing fancy - just delicious ice cream. Their signature flavor is chocolate & vanilla twist. THE BEST!!!! If you're ever passing through Long Lake on your way to Lake Placid, be sure to stop there! You can't miss the big CUSTARD'S LAST STAND sign on the main road through town. This place is the real deal...

muzzlehatch

• Total Posts: 73
    RE: Adirondack ice cream Fri, 06/13/03 7:58 PM (permalink)
    Well I'm not too far from there and hope to get over one of these weekends; know any other road-foody type places in the Lake Placid/Saranac Lake area, anyone?

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15064
      • Roadfood Insider
      RE: Adirondack ice cream Sat, 06/14/03 4:22 AM (permalink)
      Nancy
      I worked at the Cedarlands B S A camp near Long Lake in 1969 and 1970. I remember running errands into "town" just so I could make a stop at Custard's. Thanks for dusting off some foggy memories for me, it is good to know the place is still around.

NancyPeter

RE: Adirondack ice cream Sat, 06/14/03 5:25 AM (permalink)
        Al, You'd be surprised how little the town of Long Lake has changed since 1970. The seaplanes are still in full service, boy scouts & campers still pass through by canoe on their way up to Tupper Lake, & the old Adirondack Hotel has been brought back to life, serving good food both inside & out on a deck overlooking the lake! Try to get back there someday & dust off more memories... P.S. One thing that's gone is the "dump," where everyone went for bear-sightings before going over to Custard's for dessert.

NancyPeter

RE: Adirondack ice cream Sat, 06/14/03 10:23 AM (permalink)
          Most of the places I knew of between Long Lake & Saranac/Placid are gone now. However, there is a fairly new Irish pub that serves hearty fare in LL only a few buildings away from the ice cream stand on the right side heading into town. Another possibility would be the Adirondack Hotel on the left just before the LL bridge; it has a very turn-of-the-century (the last century, that is) feel with a great view of the lake...You can eat outside on a nice day & watch the seaplanes take off & land!

RC51Mike

• Total Posts: 443
            RE: Adirondack ice cream Sat, 06/14/03 11:22 AM (permalink)
            The Irish place in LL had decent food but the service was spotty. The Long Lake Diner is pretty good. I had breakfast and lunch there. French fries are hand cut, not as crispy as they could be but tasty. Had a good dinner in the hotel. In Saranac Lake, the Blue Moon has outstanding coffee and breakfast. In Inlet, the Tamarack does too. Raquette Lake you have to stop in the Taproom for at least one beer and wander the general store.

NancyPeter

RE: Adirondack ice cream Sat, 06/14/03 2:02 PM (permalink)
              The LL Diner has been through so many owners in a dozen years, so I wasn't sure about it. Glad to hear it's still good. There is also a bed & breakfast inn on the left side on way into LL from Blue Mountain Lake that has fantastic Adirondack atmosphere, but the service is SOOOOOOO slow. Yes, I've had breakfast at the Tamarack & agree with you. Never tried the Tap Room, but will on your recommendation. There is a place called Eighth Lake Inn (I think that's the name) on the way to Old Forge that is supposed to be excellent, according to the locals. Haven't been to that part of the Adirondacks for 3-4 years, so I'm a little rusty on my places. Going the other way, though, Swifty's in Speculator/Lake Pleasant has great burgers & other pub-type food.

ADK Lover

• Total Posts: 10
                RE: Adirondack ice cream Mon, 08/4/03 11:34 AM (permalink)
                We LOVE Custards Last Stand in Long Lake! We vacation in Blue Mountain Lake every year and make a special trip to Long Lake to get ice cream there. We try and discourage people from getting ice cream at Hoss' across the street. They are greedy SOB's. Tried to put CLS out of business. Anyhoo, definetely worth the trip! Love the Long Lake diner as well! We went to eat there in July when we were up at Blue Mountain Lake, but it was closed. I was up in December and was staying with a friend in Long Lake and we had breakfast there. We also had dinner at the new pub. It was really good food, but I could not deal with all the cigar & cigarette smoke while eating. Jerry
                quote:
                Originally posted by NancyPeter

Has anyone ever visited Custard's Last Stand in Long Lake, New York? They have been serving the best soft ice cream from their circa 1956 building for what seems like forever to me (I spent every summer vacation during my 1960's childhood in Long Lake). Now my two boys look forward to their daily cone whenever we're in town.

No table service, nothing fancy - just delicious ice cream. Their signature flavor is chocolate & vanilla twist. THE BEST!!!! If you're ever passing through Long Lake on your way to Lake Placid, be sure to stop there! You can't miss the big CUSTARD'S LAST STAND sign on the main road through town. This place is the real deal...

NancyPeter

RE: Adirondack ice cream Tue, 08/5/03 12:33 PM (permalink)
                  I agree with you on Hoss's. My husband has a standing rule that we CANNOT go there, even if CLS is closed. He'd rather drive to Tupper for ice cream than patronize H's.

Where do you stay in BML? We had a family cabin in LL, which was sold two years ago by my parents after owning it for 20 years. We miss it so much but intend to rent somewhere in Long Lake eventually.

By the way, isn't Potter's food blah? We've given it SO many chances through the years, & it never fails to disappoint.

We used to go to a great spot called Big Moose Station way back in the woods. Ever heard of it? It's on the way to Old Forge.

ADK Lover

RE: Adirondack ice cream Tue, 08/5/03 5:10 PM (permalink)
                    We stay at Prospect Point & Hemlock Hall. We stay at prospect for a week, then go to Hemlock Hall for four days. We went to Potters for the first time in July and it was definetely blah! As a matter of fact, I wrote that it was blah in our vacation journal! There really are no restaurants in Blue Mountain Lake (part of the reason why we love it so-not much commercially there) besides Potters. Hemlock Hall's food is heavy artery-clogging thanksgiving food. At prospect, we cook our own meals and eat right alongside the lake which is what we prefer. Every year on our last night at Prospect Point we go to Marty's Chili Nights in Indian Lake. We really enjoy it. It's become sort of a tradition. This year we also ate at the Adirondack House in Long Lake, but it was kind of pricey so we just ordered their 10.99 large pizza. Great view though. The black flies were not out so we got to sit outside.

quote:

I agree with you on Hoss's. My husband has a standing rule that we CANNOT go there, even if CLS is closed. He'd rather drive to Tupper for ice cream than patronize H's.

Where do you stay in BML? We had a family cabin in LL, which was sold two years ago by my parents after owning it for 20 years. We miss it so much but intend to rent somewhere in Long Lake eventually.

By the way, isn't Potter's food blah? We've given it SO many chances through the years, & it never fails to disappoint.

We used to go to a great spot called Big Moose Station way back in the woods. Ever heard of it? It's on the way to Old Forge.

ADK Lover

RE: Adirondack ice cream Tue, 08/5/03 5:12 PM (permalink)
                      Don't go to the Mexican Restaraunt in Saranac across the street from the hot sauce place. Rude service, and too many don'ts written all over the menu. We left after our drinks were served.

quote:
                      Originally posted by muzzlehatch

Well I'm not too far from there and hope to get over one of these weekends; know any other road-foody type places in the Lake Placid/Saranac Lake area, anyone?

ADK Lover

RE: Adirondack ice cream Tue, 08/5/03 5:18 PM (permalink)
                        Never been to Big Moose Station, but there is a place just near Raquette Lake on 28 called Jimmy's Clam Shack that has great clams & pizza. It's a little family run place on the side of the road. If you like ambience, this is not the place for you, but the food is great (for pizza & clams), and when the place is filled, it's a nice atmoshere. It's neat seeing the whole family working including the teenagers.

quote:

RC51Mike

RE: Adirondack ice cream Wed, 08/6/03 7:42 AM (permalink)
                          I stayed for the food a few years ago at the Mexican restaurant in Saranac and it was quite good. I agree though that the severe do's and don't's concept was a little strange to say the least. We did have reasonable service though. I've been by CLS numerous times but it's always been out of season or wrong time of day.

ADK Lover

RE: Adirondack ice cream Wed, 08/6/03 9:38 AM (permalink)
                            Actually, it's Tony Harpers Pizza & Clam Shack, not Jimmy's. Sorry!

quote:
                            Originally posted by ADK Lover

Never been to Big Moose Station, but there is a place just near Raquette Lake on 28 called Jimmy's Clam Shack that has great clams & pizza. It's a little family run place on the side of the road. If you like ambience, this is not the place for you, but the food is great (for pizza & clams), and when the place is filled, it's a nice atmoshere. It's neat seeing the whole family working including the teenagers.

quote:

seafarer john

RE: Adirondack ice cream Wed, 08/6/03 11:22 AM (permalink)
                              There's a college near Saranac Lake, Roger Smith or something like that, that runs a hospitality program, and students are assigned to work in their hotel/restaurant in Saranac - much like the CIA in Hyde Park, NY.

We had a yeah/boo experience in that restaurant one evening a few Summers ago. We were greeted and seated immediately with real graciousness. Then we waited and waited and waited until my wife literally grabbed a passing waitress by the arm and asked if we could get some service. The girl seemd startled by our request, but went away promising some help would soon come, so we waited and waited and waylaid the same girl again. She apologized and explained that no one was assigned to wait on our table, but that she would bend the rules and take our order- which she did. We ordered an appetizer, a bottle of wine, and our entrees.

Soon enough another girl appeared with our appetizers and the wine.
                              She explained that she was under 21 and could not open the bottle for us, so we offered to open it ourselves using my wife's always present Swiss Army Knife. She demurred and walked away with the bottle. Soon the Maitre D who had seated us appeared with a "waiter's friend" opener and proceeded an epic struggle with the bottle. The woman had no idea how to use the device and became increasingly flustered and all thumbs - we felt sorry about even ordering the wine, we offered to instruct her in the use of the device,we offered to do it ourselves, we made little jokes with her to relieve the tension while she continued to struggle. She was as nice and charming as she was untrained and inept so we completely empathised with her. When the cork somehow popped, at last, from the bottle a small cheer went up from a few tables around us.

The food arrived in the hands of the underage waitress in short order thereafter and it was excellent - cant remember exactly what we ate, but it was some kind of veal dish and was well worth the wait, We also had a berry cobbler type dessert and coffeee - this was served to us by a twenty-something man in US Army khakis. Turned out he was just out of the Army a few days before, had no civilian clothes and had taken a temporary job bussing at the restaurant.

After dinner we stopped to talk to the MaitreD and explained that they had a wedding party of 150 in another dining room. That the management had failed to hire some extra help for the wedding party service and that all of the experienced and trained students were working that party - leaving the restaurant front room (not the kitchen)
                              entirely in the hands of rank amateurs. She said she had never acted as a MaitreD before, had no training or instructions, and was handed a wait staff of totally inexperienced people - all of this on a weekend night!

NancyPeter

RE: Adirondack ice cream Wed, 08/6/03 12:51 PM (permalink)
                                I think it might be Paul Smith...

NancyPeter

RE: Adirondack ice cream Thu, 08/7/03 11:23 AM (permalink)
                                  ADK Lover: I just did a search for Big Moose Station. It's off Route 28N; you go through Raquette Lake, Inlet, and Eagle Bay. Turn right on to Big Moose Road & keep going till you see it (there should be signs). It's well worth the more than five miles driving through the woods to get there. You feel like you're in the middle of nowhere, & then you come upon this old train station... Good food is the payoff!

Isn't Hemlock Hall right down the road from the craft shop? I think I recall seeing the sign on the main road.

One last thought: clams in the Adirondacks?

ADK Lover

RE: Adirondack ice cream Thu, 08/7/03 3:58 PM (permalink)
                                    We will definetely check it outwhen we go back. Yes, Hemlock Hall is off of 28N. There is a sign on 28N, but it is about a mile into the woods. Entrance is between ADK Museum & Craft store. Craft store is up for sale. Actually, Potters and the General store/gas station are up for sale as well. I think that's like three out of the 6 businesses in Blue Mountain Lake?

Blue Mountain Lake is full of clams!

quote:

ADK Lover: I just did a search for Big Moose Station. It's off Route 28N; you go through Raquette Lake, Inlet, and Eagle Bay. Turn right on to Big Moose Road & keep going till you see it (there should be signs). It's well worth the more than five miles driving through the woods to get there. You feel like you're in the middle of nowhere, & then you come upon this old train station... Good food is the payoff!

Isn't Hemlock Hall right down the road from the craft shop? I think I recall seeing the sign on the main road.

One last thought: clams in the Adirondacks?

NancyPeter

RE: Adirondack ice cream Thu, 08/7/03 5:59 PM (permalink)
                                      Long Lake has black mussels, not clams. Interesting!

Blue Mountain Crafts has been for sale for quite a while, as I recall. Potter's has such potential. It's too bad they can't serve a decent meal. The atmosphere is great!

Restaurants & small business seem to have a hard time surviving in the Adirondacks, due to the short season, I suppose! It's a shame...

RC51Mike

RE: Adirondack ice cream Fri, 08/8/03 7:23 AM (permalink)
                                        It is strange that they can't make a go of it in BML yet other towns seem to do ok. They have what I think is the best museum in the country. My son and I stayed at Potters years ago- cabin on the lake with our own dock. I still have fond memories of it and not so fond memories of the chicken he ordered that was still raw inside.

ADK Lover

RE: Adirondack ice cream Fri, 08/8/03 11:12 AM (permalink)
                                          Well, remember that Blue Mountain Lake has less than 100 year-round residents, while Indian, Long, Tupper & Saranac have much much more. I was in Blue Mountain Lake in December & it was a ghost town. Nothing was open including the general store/ gas station. In Long Lake Hoss', Long Lake Diner, Irish Pub, and a couple of other places stay open all year round and cater to the many residents that live there all year. The other lakes like Tupper, Saranac, Lake Placid, etc, cater to the ski community. Also, I believe the ADK Museum in BML is closed in the Winter as well.

RAW CHICKEN - NOT GOOD

quote:
                                          Originally posted by RC51Mike

It is strange that they can't make a go of it in BML yet other towns seem to do ok. They have what I think is the best museum in the country. My son and I stayed at Potters years ago- cabin on the lake with our own dock. I still have fond memories of it and not so fond memories of the chicken he ordered that was still raw inside.

ADK Lover

RE: Adirondack ice cream Fri, 08/8/03 11:20 AM (permalink)
                                            I was just kidding about the clams in BML. Obviously they catch them from somewhere else like Long, or Tupper Lakes! ;)

I would love to open a business in BML, or somewhere else in the ADKS, but my wife & kids don't like it quite that cooooold. I make handmade books/journals out of bark, and am learning to make pack baskets. I currently sell my books to the ADK Museum & a few other craft stores in the ADKS, but Would love to open a little store up there that I could call mine!

quote:

Long Lake has black mussels, not clams. Interesting!

Blue Mountain Crafts has been for sale for quite a while, as I recall. Potter's has such potential. It's too bad they can't serve a decent meal. The atmosphere is great!

Restaurants & small business seem to have a hard time surviving in the Adirondacks, due to the short season, I suppose! It's a shame...

NancyPeter

RE: Adirondack ice cream Fri, 08/8/03 1:13 PM (permalink)
                                              You had me going for a minute about those clams - yikes!

BTW, did you know there is a small shop practically next door to Hoss's, where you can consign crafts? It used to be called Mountain Medley; I sold wreaths there many years ago & more recently beaded earrings. It has a new name now, something with "twig" in it possibly. They also specialize in selling NY Cheddar, I believe. I can get more info for you if you'd like!

My husband used to joke about moving up to LL & opening a business. Too cold & tooooooooo boring for full-time living.

The Cellar (a real dive) used to have pretty good pizza for the ADKs, but when they remodeled... You know the drill!

ADK Lover

RE: Adirondack ice cream Sat, 08/9/03 7:56 AM (permalink)
                                                If you could find the name of it that would be great! I currently sell in Indian, Blue, and Placid & would like to get a dealer in Long. Yeah, a friend told me that his daughter is the only girl in her fifth grade class in Long Lake! Geeeeeez, I 've heard of small class sizes up there, but.......

Is there anywhere up there to get a good steak? I mean goooood, like a Mortons, or Ruth Cris steak. I am a vegetarian 95% of the time, but about every six months I will eat meat. Vacation would be a great time to do that!

quote:

You had me going for a minute about those clams - yikes!

BTW, did you know there is a small shop practically next door to Hoss's, where you can consign crafts? It used to be called Mountain Medley; I sold wreaths there many years ago & more recently beaded earrings. It has a new name now, something with "twig" in it possibly. They also specialize in selling NY Cheddar, I believe. I can get more info for you if you'd like!

My husband used to joke about moving up to LL & opening a business. Too cold & tooooooooo boring for full-time living.

The Cellar (a real dive) used to have pretty good pizza for the ADKs, but when they remodeled... You know the drill!

NancyPeter

RE: Adirondack ice cream Sat, 08/9/03 11:27 AM (permalink)
                                                  As far as the steak is concerned, I'd forget it! Either bring one from home (frozen of course) & cook it on an open fire or go to Northern Borne in LL & have the butcher cut you a nice steak. In years past, we've had fairly good experiences with the meat there. But, it's not prime by any means. However, anything cooked outside tastes so much better, in my opinion.

I've heard about the small class size in LL, but that's incredible!

Sent you an e-mail through Roadfood site regarding the craft shop info, as we're getting away from the main topic here! If you don't receive it, let me know on this "thread."

Nancy

ADK Lover

RE: Adirondack ice cream Sat, 08/9/03 2:02 PM (permalink)
                                                    It would be neat to create a list of places to go, and not to go to for good Adirondack Food & dessert. Is there a mechanism on this site to creat such a list, or does it have to be done through a forum message. Do they have a folder we could use as a list? Or is this just a really bad idea from the start? Ofcourse it is all subjective I guess. LMK, Jerry

PS- Nancy, thanks for the craft info!
                                                    quote:

As far as the steak is concerned, I'd forget it! Either bring one from home (frozen of course) & cook it on an open fire or go to Northern Borne in LL & have the butcher cut you a nice steak. In years past, we've had fairly good experiences with the meat there. But, it's not prime by any means. However, anything cooked outside tastes so much better, in my opinion.

I've heard about the small class size in LL, but that's incredible!

Sent you an e-mail through Roadfood site regarding the craft shop info, as we're getting away from the main topic here! If you don't receive it, let me know on this "thread."

Nancy

NancyPeter

RE: Adirondack ice cream Sun, 08/10/03 10:42 AM (permalink)
                                                      I suppose we could just start a new topic entitled Adirondack Food - Do's and Don'ts or something like that. There's got to be some decent roadfood-type places in an area as large as the Adirondacks!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                        • No New Messages
                                                        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                        • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                        • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                        • Read Message
                                                        • Post New Thread
                                                        • Reply to message
                                                        • Post New Poll
                                                        • Submit Vote
                                                        • Post reward post
                                                        • Delete my own posts
                                                        • Delete my own threads
                                                        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com