The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Adventure in Hells Canyon and the lewis and Clark And Nez Pierce Trails Trail

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
Adventure in Hells Canyon and the lewis and Clark And Nez Pierce Trails Trail Thu, 09/12/13 9:52 AM (permalink)
Trudy and I just spent a wonderful week of travel in the Tri-Cities of Washington,Hells Canyon and the northeastern edge of Oregon. We were marooned in a canyon, followed the trail of lewis and Clark and the Nez Perce, and stopped in our tracks by a parade of mules. And as always we ate well. More to come.

<message edited by mr chips on Wed, 01/15/14 5:22 PM>

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15064
    • Roadfood Insider
    Re:Adventure in Hells Canyon and the lewis and Clark And Nez Pierce Trails Trail Thu, 09/12/13 10:38 AM (permalink)
    Jim,
     I spent a year employed at Lewis-Clark State College in Lewiston, Idaho. It was a very interesting place to live...for one year !
       Looking forward to your trip report.

Sundancer7

Re:Adventure in Hells Canyon and the lewis and Clark And Nez Pierce Trails Trail Thu, 09/12/13 11:45 AM (permalink)
      Roz and I spent the night in Lewiston, ID high on a hill overlooking the river.  Had dinner downtown at a nice steak house in their basement?  Great steak.  We drove from the south bordering Hell's Canyon.  Never got a good look at this wonderful sight.  Our bad.  The drive from Boise north was interesting.  I thought I had seen rapid rivers before but never one like this.

Paul E. Smith
      Knoxville, TN

mar52

• Total Posts: 7599
        Re:Adventure in Hells Canyon and the lewis and Clark And Nez Pierce Trails Trail Thu, 09/12/13 1:55 PM (permalink)
        Sounds great.  Taking the Lewis and Clark trail sounds interesting.

mr chips

Re:Adventure in Hells Canyon and the lewis and Clark And Nez Pierce Trails Trail Sun, 09/15/13 7:26 PM (permalink)
          Days 1 and 2 of our trip were spent getting to the Tri-Cities of Washington and visiting Trudy's sister. We stopped at only one spot on our drive from Portland, my hometown in The Dalles for a dinner stop at Burgerville. It was the end of Walla Walla sweet onion season so we shared an order of sweet onion rings and I ate the wonderful Walla Walla sweet onion burger. I hope many will sample these treats when they are in season as they rival vidalia sweet onions as a road food treat. A seasonal blackberry milk shake also hit the spot. 
                Day 2 was spent in the Tri-cties and we found excellent food. Spudnuts in Richland is one of the few surviving stores from a prominent doughnut chain in the 50's and 60's. i remember there was a doughnut with some sort of potato base that was tasty. The place was crowded with seniors and regulars downing their coffee and the doughnuts were delighful. it is always fun to go to a doughnut shop and people watch.. We took in the vibe, got our morning caffeine and simple enjoyed some decent doughnuts with a semi-roadfood history.
          <message edited by mr chips on Sat, 01/18/14 3:45 PM>

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
            Re:Adventure in Hells Canyon and the lewis and Clark And Nez Pierce Trails Trail Mon, 09/16/13 8:02 AM (permalink)
            How were the fruit stands in the area.  I recall buying many varieties of fruit and a bag of Onions to take with us on the road in the Yakima Valley.

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
              • Roadfood Insider
              Re:Adventure in Hells Canyon and the lewis and Clark And Nez Pierce Trails Trail Mon, 09/16/13 4:18 PM (permalink)
              OHHHHHH SPUDNUTS.......

HOW I MISS THEM!!!

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17837
                Re:Adventure in Hells Canyon and the lewis and Clark And Nez Pierce Trails Trail Mon, 09/16/13 4:33 PM (permalink)
                You were in the Tri-Cities area and didn't drop in on pnwchef?

Sundancer7

Re:Adventure in Hells Canyon and the lewis and Clark And Nez Pierce Trails Trail Mon, 09/16/13 6:24 PM (permalink)
                  Yakima is one of my most favorite fruit cities in the USA.
                  The drive from Lewiston ID to Seattle was fantastic from the wheat fields, potato fields and the beautiful orchards of Yakima.

Paul E. Smith
                  Knoxville, TN

mr chips

Re:Adventure in Hells Canyon and the lewis and Clark And Nez Pierce Trails Trail Mon, 09/16/13 10:05 PM (permalink)
                    Did try to Michael. Could not meet because of family emergency for his family

Michael Hoffman

Re:Adventure in Hells Canyon and the lewis and Clark And Nez Pierce Trails Trail Mon, 09/16/13 10:41 PM (permalink)
                      Oh, that's too bad. It's sounding like a fun trip.

pnwchef

• Total Posts: 2236
                        Re:Adventure in Hells Canyon and the lewis and Clark And Nez Pierce Trails Trail Tue, 09/17/13 8:17 AM (permalink)
                        mr chips

Did try to Michael. Could not meet because of family emergency for his family

The last time I was going to meet up with James was last year when we were going through Portland. My wife had a Migraine and felt sick so I had to cxl. I told my wife, remember that guy I was going to meet up with in Portland last year, he's coming through the Tri-Cities this week, I invited him for pie. A few days later, she finds out she has some Basal cell cancer and needs to get it out. We had to go up to Spokane to get it taken care of. I told her I canceled meeting up with James, she asked me, who did you blame it on this time. I said, the same person I blamed it on last time. ..................Hope you had a great trip..............Bill

mr chips

Re:Adventure in Hells Canyon and the lewis and Clark And Nez Pierce Trails Trail Tue, 09/17/13 11:35 PM (permalink)
                          Bill. I'm so sorry for your's bout of ill health. Whenever we can meet in Portland, the Tri-Cities. or the coast, I look forward to it. Trudy's sister lives in Richland and I really want to go to the Hydroplane races and the dams on the Snake next year and of course i would like to meet hand your family. And I have two more meals to write about in the Tri-Cities befoe i get to the rest of the trip.
                          <message edited by mr chips on Wed, 01/15/14 5:24 PM>

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                            Re:Adventure in Hells Canyon and the lewis and Clark And Nez Pierce Trails Trail Wed, 09/18/13 2:56 AM (permalink)
                            Bill, Hope your wife is doing well. As one who gets Basal Cell activity...and sometimes the other forms of skin cancer's, removed more than twice a year, I can offer sympathy and encouragement to get them cared for ASAP. I had one Melenoma removed five years ago and so far no recurrence of the 'bad one'.

Jim we are looking forward to your report on your run up the Columbia, Snake, and Clearwater. I just re-read my copy Of Stephen Ambroses volume on Lewis and Clark...what an adventure.  Too bad they couldn't get any Pie at the Syringa Cafe, near Kooskia...see the early edition of Stern's "ROADFOOD" for a writeup of that place.

pnwchef

Re:Adventure in Hells Canyon and the lewis and Clark And Nez Pierce Trails Trail Wed, 09/18/13 10:07 AM (permalink)

mayor al: Thanks for caring......they had to go in 3 times to get it all, the stitches come out today...........I hope yours never come back..........thxs again............

James, thxs for caring. There are many food places in Portland that I would love to try. Looking forward to when we can...........take care......Bill

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                                Re:Adventure in Hells Canyon and the lewis and Clark And Nez Pierce Trails Trail Wed, 09/18/13 10:42 AM (permalink)
                                My apartment in Lewiston overlooked the confluence of the Snake and the Ckearwater. L & C used the Clearwater and it's upper tributaries to get to the Snake and then the Columbia. I used US 12 to get up and over the Divide several times that year (1986). LoLo Hot Springs was a great place to stop for a dip on that Mountain Road.
                                Riding Idaho's roads was an interesting experience, especially in the Fall. Here as we left Challas, ID, we were tied up in an "Idaho Traffic Jam" as several boys moved a herd of several hundred cattle thru town to alternate pasture land.

pnwchef

Re:Adventure in Hells Canyon and the lewis and Clark And Nez Pierce Trails Trail Wed, 09/18/13 1:37 PM (permalink)
                                  Hi Al, JR Simplot was one of my clients, great people to work with. JR, was quite the guy, he knew how to wheel and deal. At one time RJ was the only one processing Mc D's French fries. The processing plant in Hermiston, Oregon was a Mc D FF only plant, Mc D had their own in house inspector in house making sure they we always up to Mc D's specs................If anyone has the time, the Northwest is a great place, with great sites.........Bill

Michael Hoffman

Re:Adventure in Hells Canyon and the lewis and Clark And Nez Pierce Trails Trail Wed, 09/18/13 3:02 PM (permalink)
                                    Bill, I trust your better half is doing well. I had one of those things ripped out a few years ago.

mr chips

Re:Adventure in Hells Canyon and the lewis and Clark And Nez Pierce Trails Trail Thu, 09/26/13 11:10 PM (permalink)
                                      Day two of our travels ended wi with eating stops in Pasco and Kennewick and brief hike along the Columbia. Pasco is the most hispanic of the tri-cities and Trudy and thought we could easily find a good place to eat/. El Sazon was southern mexican cuisine at its  best. I had a huarache, sandal shaped tortilla that had excellent flavor and my meat was tongue. Delicious , flavorful,l a delight to all senses Restaurant was filled with young men from nearby workplaces and Trudy and i were the only anglos. Trudy's Carne Asada was good and I loved the ambience of the place. Don't know if is the best mexican place but the food was good. Dinner was at THe country Gentleman in Kennewick. Good salads for the women Lobster sliders for me. Food was good and lobster anythings is always good.
                                             We  hiked to an island in the river where our friends Lewis and ckark had stopped. Good day and pleasant experiences.
                                      <message edited by mr chips on Fri, 09/27/13 7:18 PM>

BackRhodes

• Total Posts: 652
                                        Re:Adventure in Hells Canyon and the lewis and Clark And Nez Pierce Trails Trail Mon, 09/30/13 8:13 PM (permalink)
                                        Hermiston, Oregon, is where some of my favorite potato chips are / were made...

With the death of the Granny Goose and Laura Scudders brands of BBQ chips, I'd sometimes see small time labels with almost identical bbq chip recipes come out of that area, but on a very sporadic basis...

Too bad, because I always gave the smalltime labels my business when it came to buying BBQ chips...as close as I've found to the bbq chip taste GG & LS had in the 1960's & 1970's...and I just can't find the smalltime brands anymore either, here in NW California...sporadic at best, usually non existant...

If anybody knows of an online source to get BBQ chips from the Hermiston OR area, please let me know...

billyboy

• Total Posts: 2363
                                          Re:Adventure in Hells Canyon and the lewis and Clark And Nez Pierce Trails Trail Sat, 10/12/13 3:06 AM (permalink)
                                          Great write-up, Mr. Chips.  Hope to make it to you neck of the woods once again someday.  You really do find a variety of people, cuisines and places in the PNW.  Well done!

mr chips

Re:Adventure in Hells Canyon and the lewis and Clark And Nez Pierce Trails Trail Tue, 01/7/14 9:12 PM (permalink)
                                            Day 3 began with a drive from Richland to Clarkston. There are a number of Lewis and Clark stops along the way, a few dams along the Snake river just off the highway and a scenic drive f0r 25- miles or so directly along the Snake. Lewis and Clarkk travelled along this area en route to the Columbia. The rolling countryside fed the horses and Lewis and Clark sent two their men  and some Nez Pierce to go back to the Snake to catch salmon to feed the expedition, Sighs marked the path of the explorers and the views along the Snake spectacular as we drove along the river, As we approached Lewiston barges were on the shore and I remembered attending the dedication of thee John Day dam in 1968 and Hubert Humphrey congratulating Senator Chuch  of Idaho for finally getting a seaport in the stae. A nice start to the day.
                                                 We lunched at the 410 drive in alng the main drag in Clarkston. It was an old fahioned place with carhops on roller-skates, decent burgers, fries and shakes with a nostalgia vibe that was quite pleasant. Make a stop if u want a nice trip to the past. Our next stop was  a driving tour through Nez Pierce National Historic Park. 
                                            <message edited by mr chips on Sat, 01/18/14 3:50 PM>

EdSails

• Total Posts: 3577
                                              Re:Adventure in Hells Canyon and the lewis and Clark And Nez Pierce Trails Trail Tue, 01/7/14 10:42 PM (permalink)
                                              So far an excellent report and trip, Jim. 

BackRhodes

• Total Posts: 652
                                                • Location: Mendocino County, CA
                                                Re:Adventure in Hells Canyon and the lewis and Clark And Nez Pierce Trails Trail Sun, 01/12/14 3:40 PM (permalink)
                                                mr chips

Trudy and I just spent a wonderful week of travel in the Tri-Cities of Washington,Hells Canyon and the northeastern edge of oregon. We were marooned in a canyon, followed the trail of lewis and Clark and the Nez Pierce, and stopped in our tracks by a parade of mules. And as always we ate well, More to come.

FYI...there is no "I" in their tribal name Nez PERCE (which is the white man's name for the Nimiipuu)

<message edited by BackRhodes on Sun, 01/12/14 3:41 PM>

mr chips

Re:Adventure in Hells Canyon and the lewis and Clark And Nez Pierce Trails Trail Wed, 01/15/14 4:29 PM (permalink)
                                                  After our lunch in Clarkston, we decided to visit Nez Perce National Historical Park. This is a collection of 38 sites over 4 states relating to the history of the Nez Perce tribe. Park headquarters are located about 7 miles south of Lewiston in Spalding , Idaho. The park requires a lot of driving to geographically disparate sites and we started the trip at NPS headquarters and Trudy had a pleasant surprise. She opened a history book and she opened to a page that featured photos of a Nez Perce chief that she had known in Hermiston whose granddaughters were friends of hers in high school. She read about his life and was really thrilled to find the book. The hq traditionally has at least one staffer who is a member of the tribe and two staff   talked to her about her friend and his family in the area. It was a nice start to the day, We drove about 100 miles in a circle stopping at some ruins of an abandoned village two Lewis and Clark sites, one where they built their canoes and one where they spent a winter camp. We passes the site of a battle with the pursuing U>S army in 1877 and the site where the tribe fled over the mountain on their attempt to reach Canada. The holist spot was near Kamiah called Heart of the Monster where the Nez Perce tribal religion   believes the world was created. There is a trail to the site and a recitation of the creation story by a tribal elder. A moving spot that is well worth visiting

I had visited this park 27 years ago after working on the U.S senate campaign in Idaho. Trudy had never visited it and we had gone there. Our evening meal was the Empress of Indian ,an Indian restaurant in downtown Lewiston that Trip Advisor had rated the best restaurant in the Lewiston-Clarkston area. A mango curry was outstanding as were the bread, soup and several  other dishes; an unexpected ethnic treat in an unlikely place.The owner waited on the tables himself , cooked all the meals and was his own cashier. He worked very hard and the food was superb. Get there soon because I don't know how much longer he can keep it up. A very pleasant day

<message edited by mr chips on Mon, 01/27/14 9:34 PM>

mr chips

Re:Adventure in Hells Canyon and the lewis and Clark And Nez Pierce Trails Trail Wed, 01/15/14 4:32 PM (permalink)
                                                    Bachroads, I can't believe I never noticed the spelling before. I know French trappers named the tribe for their nose piercings and i did not catch it. Thank u for the correction
                                                    <message edited by mr chips on Sat, 01/18/14 3:53 PM>

mr chips

Re:Adventure in Hells Canyon and the lewis and Clark And Nez Pierce Trails Trail Sat, 01/18/14 3:47 PM (permalink)
                                                      Did not spend a lotos time in the Yakima valley.; therefore no fruit stands.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                        • No New Messages
                                                        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                        • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                        • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                        • Read Message
                                                        • Post New Thread
                                                        • Reply to message
                                                        • Post New Poll
                                                        • Submit Vote
                                                        • Post reward post
                                                        • Delete my own posts
                                                        • Delete my own threads
                                                        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com