Advice for first smoker

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Lost Nation
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 108
Re:Advice for first smoker 2011/04/20 05:19:45 (permalink)
The best bang for the buck is a Webber Smokey Mountain. They work great and are easy to use ans cheap. If you go to a BBQ contest you will see tons of them.
ChicagoIrish
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 74
Re:Advice for first smoker 2011/09/25 05:04:32 (permalink)
If you're going to SPAM, at least put some thought into it...

I have a Brinkman similar to the Weber Smoky Mountain, about half the price (or so) and while it is fine for me.  I have to say that it's ability to hold temps as precisely as a WSM isn't there.  Over a 8-10 hour smoke it's fine, but if you want to do chicken/parts or ribs the Weber might be a better choice.  Not sure why my Brinkman, which is like a WSM clone, doesn't hold more precise temps but thats what it is.  I do chicken and ribs on it, and have had great success now that I "know" it, but for beginners probably not the right choice.  Adding this since the OP hasn't been around so adding my 2 cents as if its a general smoking topic.  Would love a BGE if anyone wants to donate!  ;)
mar52
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7831
Re:Advice for first smoker 2011/09/25 14:48:01 (permalink)
This is a fairly old thread, but not too old.  They are just being bumped by the Spammer.

The Brinkman doesn't hold the heat as well as the WSM because it's made of a thinner guage metal and the gaps aren't addressed as well as with the WEber.  Weber cares and has a huge following.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10199
Re:Advice for first smoker 2011/09/25 15:04:04 (permalink)
mar52

This is a fairly old thread, but not too old.  They are just being bumped by the Spammer.

The Brinkman doesn't hold the heat as well as the WSM because it's made of a thinner guage metal and the gaps aren't addressed as well as with the WEber.  Weber cares and has a huge following.

I'm waiting for Weber to bring out an ELECTRIC SM Grill! I understand they're working on it!
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Advice for first smoker 2011/09/25 15:15:27 (permalink)
That would be interesting.  They should make it so they could sell adapter kits to those that already own the charcoal, water style.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10199
Re:Advice for first smoker 2011/09/25 15:20:51 (permalink)
mar52

That would be interesting.  They should make it so they could sell adapter kits to those that already own the charcoal, water style.

You should email them and suggest that. They pay attention to emails. That's how I found out about the electric Smoker.
joseiw
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 14
Re:Advice for first smoker 2011/09/25 16:06:07 (permalink)
I have only ever used an offset firebox type of smoker, but a regular Weber can be used as long as the source of the heat is indirect, by which I mean the fire does not directly heat the food but is off to the side.  I recently looked at Myron Mixon's book and he advocates some methods that he calls "power" smoking that cooks at much higher temperatures than traditional, "low and slow" barbecue methods.  The system then uses long insulated rest periods in which the cooking continues.  I haven't yet had a chance to try this out, but it sounds intriguing and makes sense, and it works for him, and he's a BBQ god. His book or Smoke & Spice by Cheryl and Bill Jamison would have a lot of good advice and recipes for smoking/barbecuing.  At any rate, its a lot of fun and gets good results, as fresh barbecue is much better than what you can get at the best barbecue restaurants unless you happen to be there at the time when the meat is at its peak.  I get lots of compliments and recommendations to open my own place, but I always tell folks that I don't want to work that hard, and it is hard work.
manofschwa
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 11
Re:Advice for first smoker 2011/10/01 11:08:14 (permalink)
Foodbme

If youze guys paid attention to Lukez1122's ORIGINAL POST, he said, " I am interested in getting a small smoker to do a little BBQ here and there.  Nothing major, just looking for nice tender meats done at home.   Does anybody have advice for a simple easy to use smoker?
He's looking for a KIA and you're suggesting he buy a Lexus! Sure, a Big Green Egg is great, and maybe some day he'll want one but that's not what he's looking for right now!

Aside from the stem message, this may be the key posting in the thread.  Luke1122 is wanting to explore the concept of using a smoker.  It very well may be that after some success with an entry-level model, he'll want to refer back to the suggestions made throughout this thread.  I suspect most of us started small, then upgraded to a more versatile and expensive smoker.  In my case it was a very inexpensive water smoker which produced as good a brisket as many I've judged during KCBS events.  Once hooked on the concept, I was ready to upgrade to a 1/4 inch steel Brinkman Cimarron that allows me the option to avoid charcoal altogether and use stove-wood sized oak, hickory or fruitwood (generally wild cherry and/or plum, and grapevine) harvested from my woodlot.

Luke1122 is at that enviable exploratory stage and about to discover a great hobby.  Start small, ask questions, experiment, and soon you'll be offering us advice.
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Advice for first smoker 2011/10/01 15:39:59 (permalink)
Had I started small, I would have given up altogether.  Some of the lower priced smokers are difficult to control or use which means put them in a corner of the yard and ignore, never to be used again.

That was the sentiment I received from a lot of my customers who never wanted to try smokers again.

Sometimes spending just a little bit more assures better results and a lust for the product and process.

It really works both ways.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1