Advice on commissary in Palm Bay FL

Author
GreenMntHotDogs
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
2014/06/05 20:41:48 (permalink)

Advice on commissary in Palm Bay FL

Hello, I currently have a hot dog cart that I run in Morrisville, VT. My husband and I are moving to Palm Bay in the fall and I am finding things QUITE different in FL! Can anyone advise me on how to find a commissary without living there yet? I want to apply for licenses etc so we can start right up when we get there, but I need a commissary in order to proceed. Does anyone use one that they can recommend? Thanks so much for the help!

4 Replies Related Threads

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10199
    Re:Advice on commissary in Palm Bay FL 2014/06/06 03:57:50 (permalink)
    Contact the Health Dept. for Palm Bay and they should be able to give you a list.
    Based on Previous discussions on here, FL is not Hot Dog Cart friendly.
    Review this forum for more info and Welcome to Roadfood. 
    http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/Professional-Hot-Dog-Vendors-f47.aspx
    Buck & Vi's
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 830
    Re:Advice on commissary in Palm Bay FL 2014/06/14 07:39:38 (permalink)
    Really depends on county and town/city in which you go. I'm not up on palm bay but a call to the local authorities there should help. Also the h.d. Has a very helpful web site that has all the required codes rules etc. I found them very helpful and response very promptly, and with e-mail you have a record of the whole process.
    Be prepared to jump thru a few hoops as usual with any municipality controlled operation. Fees are somewhat expensive..good luck ! Commissary will be one of your biggest disappointments,just keep plugging ask every rest,church,etc. you come to, even other vendors some will help you out .i went down one side of the street then up the other went into every rest ( including fast food ) i got one within 2 hours,but I did my homework before, asked other vendors but didn't tell them i was Going into bizz ( some don't like competition.) just asked while eating one of there dogs as casual conversation." .keep us posted by the way i'm a fello vermonter too white river jct.
    GreenMntHotDogs
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:Advice on commissary in Palm Bay FL 2014/07/09 17:31:28 (permalink)
    Hi Buck,
    Thanks for the input. Do you do something similar in FL? I got step one down. We will be using a commisary kitchen in Suntree. It cost each month, but we can store our food and drinks there, clean everything, and fill and dump our water as well. Did you do all of your licensing etc before you moved down or were you already there and settled before you began? We are starting the process of everything online so we are up and running when we "land". We will be working in Brevard county, which is a bit more hot dog friendly than some...depending on where you are. I am finding out it all depends on the city. Looks as though as long as I am outside city limits I only have to worry about county laws. Do you set up on a daily basis or do you just stick to events? Is it super hard to find a place to be everyday? Sorry I am rambling! I'm full of questions with no one to ask! Have you worked with any of the state parks? I asked about this but it sounds like they want an arm and a leg of your profits. Thanks for any and all hints and tips!
    Tammy
    Buck & Vi's
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 830
    Re:Advice on commissary in Palm Bay FL 2014/07/13 09:55:34 (permalink)
    Hello, will try to answer you ? 1) we have a mobile kitchen we have been doing about 5 Years,
    2) we been here 18 yrs. so no ,we were already here.
    3) when first started out we did anything and everything we could fairs,carnivals,car shows, 911 events,anything! We also had a daily spot but was not that good.
    About 3 years ago a gentleman came up to the widow at our daily spot and said he had people tell him about our food and wanted to know if we would be interested in setting up at a manufacturing plant nearby........
    He gave me his card which i threw up by the window (we were busy at the time) thanked him and said i'll get back to you thanks!
    Later that week we were slo so i thought hey wheres that card...the rest they say is history..since that time its been a wonderful ride that manufacturing plant was a missiles and fire control plant . That has been VERY good to us.we are in a secured area where we furnish breakfast and lunch to there employees only. With alot of help from people here ,and two special posters here which i coulda easily fallen on my face without. Chef bubba, and pnw chef. Helped me mega times ! Many crazy questions, never ever lost patients with me. Luv ya guys !! Buck & vi's

Any other ? I'll try to answer or try to point you in the right direction. Buck p.s. I don't get on much anymore but try to ck in once a week.
    Good luck in your venture !
    post edited by Buck & Vi's - 2014/07/13 10:01:37
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1