Advise on opening ethnic restaurant

Author
delomos
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
2012/03/18 22:07:01 (permalink)

Advise on opening ethnic restaurant

Hello All,
I'm seeking kind advice of experienced Restauranter, please try to be as explicit as you can be, I'm quite inexperienced at this.

I'm looking to open an ethnic restaurant in my area that has a good population of a certain ethnic (mostly African), of decent size(sitting about 20-30), can I be advised what it entails, from experience with owning and operating a one?

I'm looking to take-over an already built-out shop, and I'm more an investor than a Chef per se.

Thank you in advance.

5 Replies Related Threads

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10101
    Re:Advise on opening ethnic restaurant 2012/03/18 22:16:04 (permalink)
    I make the same comment as you----please try to be as explicit as you can be! You're not giving us enough information to give you explicit advice.
    Since you are "inexperienced at this", I suggest you get involved with an existing, successful restaurant before you invest your money in something you know little about. Guaranteed way to loose your money approaching it this way.
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4000
    Re:Advise on opening ethnic restaurant 2012/03/19 09:23:33 (permalink)
    Two words, one concept:  moral hazard.

If you are absolutely determined to enter the food biz, from your self-description you are a good candidate for a franchise. 

In that endeavor, spend more time talking with existing franchisees than the franchisor.
    Bistro a go-go
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 171
    Re:Advise on opening ethnic restaurant 2012/03/19 10:43:40 (permalink)
    had an ethnic restaurant close in great location close to my house (nicer hood than you might be looking at). we all knew it was a gonner when they advertised pigs feet on their all you can eat buffet.

youll spend just as much opening a rest in a bad area as you would in a nice area with more money and more traffic. three things that make a successful restaurant, location, location, location.
    some will make it despite where it is but its like the old saying,'wanna have a restaurant and end up with a lil money? start out with a lot of money.

i say, run forrest, run,...but what do i know? good luck and let us know how it turns out
    Bistro a go-go
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 171
    Re:Advise on opening ethnic restaurant 2012/03/19 10:43:40 (permalink)
    had an ethnic restaurant close in great location close to my house (nicer hood than you might be looking at). we all knew it was a gonner when they advertised pigs feet on their all you can eat buffet.

youll spend just as much opening a rest in a bad area as you would in a nice area with more money and more traffic. three things that make a successful restaurant, location, location, location.
    some will make it despite where it is but its like the old saying,'wanna have a restaurant and end up with a lil money? start out with a lot of money.

i say, run forrest, run,...but what do i know? good luck and let us know how it turns out
    bartl
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1269
    Re:Advise on opening ethnic restaurant 2012/03/24 23:16:35 (permalink)
    delomos
    I'm looking to open an ethnic restaurant in my area that has a good population of a certain ethnic (mostly African), of decent size(sitting about 20-30), can I be advised what it entails, from experience with owning and operating a one?

First of all, African, or African-American? Culturally (and therefore eating), there IS a difference (I used to live near the U.N., so there were a lot of Africans in my neighborhood).

Bart
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1