Ahhhh, Katz's Deli

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Sandy Eggo
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 226
RE: Ahhhh, Katz's Deli 2005/09/11 11:59:50 (permalink)
I have family in Austin and go there often. I went to the Katz's deli downtown and had corned beef. I've also been to deli's in NYC and they are really good and fun. The Austin Katz's was good, but didn't feel like a New York deli.

My favorite pastrami is still from The Hat in Alhambra Calif. 50 years at that walk up location. They've opened a few more locations, but nothing tops the original 50 year old location.
Crew
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Ahhhh, Katz's Deli 2005/10/03 18:23:01 (permalink)
We use Katz’ to cater my sons second birthday.
They are the best people there.
souplover_1990
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Ahhhh, Katz's Deli 2005/10/05 18:43:09 (permalink)
on the official website under "worth a thousand words", wut is the name of the sandwich pictured there? is it the pastrami or corned beef?
Antihound
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 36
RE: Ahhhh, Katz's Deli 2005/10/15 03:34:25 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ericats

So you don't have to drive to far to enjoy Katz's, there are a couple of internet sites that deliver Katz's food.

Sorry people, the best pastami in the world is at Langer's in downtown LA. For some strange reason it is not as famous as Katz's.

If you are a true foodie it is definitely worth the trek.

Check out this link:

http://www.laweekly.com/ink/02/48/dining-gold.php

Sorry I can't agree. Langers is OK, nothing great and doesn't come close to Katz's. Last month I went to NYC and had a pastrami sandwich at Katz's the day before I left. I went to Langers the next day and Katz's beats Langers by a mile. Langers is a 6, Katz is a 10.

I have read many people raving about Langers but I don't get it. It's not that big of a deal. For the price and quality of the pastrami Johnny's in Culver City and any Hat location is better than Langers.
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3531
RE: Ahhhh, Katz's Deli 2005/10/15 23:48:46 (permalink)
I agree that Langers is just okay...........but I do remember that their rye bread was out of this world.

FrankBooth
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 185
RE: Ahhhh, Katz's Deli 2005/10/16 01:35:38 (permalink)
in answer to the new haven katz's inquiry, i'm sorry to report that it has no relation to the ny katz's, and in fact, it was just absolutely terrible pastrami. i asked the guy at the counter as i ordered my sandwich if the pastrami was REALLY good, and he said it was fantastic. chewy bubble gum, sliced very poorly, not even close. i mean not even close. matzoh ball soup was eh, pickles were fresh enough and ok, but not super sours. sorry- it's there, it exists, and it's jewish deli food, but the name is sure misleading. there is only one real Katz's (send a salami to your boy in the ahmy- perfect).

if i may add humbly, i am of the camp that believes the NYC katz's has long past it's prime. the blissfull pastrami of my youth (from Katz's, 2nd Ave Deli, and Pastrami King in Queens, around the corner from where i was born, as well as MANY other smaller mom and pop jewish delis all over the city, especially queens) is GONE. lot's of almosts, but the closest i've seen to the luxury, the melt in your mouth no chewing required, perfectly sliced, moist, falls apart on your tongue bliss of my youth is in Montreal- they called it simply smoked meat and its somewhere between pastrami, corned beef, and perfection. i still eat at 2nd Ave Deli often as everything else besides the pastrami there is excellent (the corned beef at 2nd ave is great, the brisket fabulous, the specials to die for ). i've been to katz's so many times in my life and keep giving it a chance (eating a hot dog on the line waiting for your sandwich is one of the great pleasures in life- a crisp dog from katz's is still tops!), but IMHO the pastrami has really just tanked in recent years. corned beef is much safer bet, dogs are excellent. sorry for the long rant on it, but it has become very pricey and i'm not sure worth it anymore. well i guess for the experience and the dogs it's worth it (fries can be good too and knishes are good), but a short walk up the street to 2nd ave will be, i think, a step up. don't miss specials at 2nd Ave- heart attack on a plate! enjoy- frankbooth

ScreenBear
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1505
RE: Ahhhh, Katz's Deli 2005/10/16 01:56:07 (permalink)
The last time I had chopped liver at 2nd Avenue Deli (NYC) it was great. I thought the pastrami was quite good, but I was expecting a taller sandwich...probably because that's now the fashion.
FrankBooth
Cheeseburger
RE: Ahhhh, Katz's Deli 2005/10/16 13:00:28 (permalink)
yes the liver at 2nd ave is definitive- in fact, for rosh hashana (the jewish new year) this year, my wife made chopped liver from the 2nd ave deli recipe (from their book i believe) and it was also spectacular. she sent me to crown heights to by the shmaltz (chicken fat) and calve and chicken livers from the glatt kosher deli- that was a trip! 2nd ave is about as close as you'll get to the real old school, my grandmother made it vibe of jewish food in a restaurant. but pastrami, sorry, it's a long faded art in ny, stick with corned beef, safer. and go to montreal and eat smoked meats. i promise!
p.s. there is a glatt kosher deli in midwood in brooklyn on the corner of Avenue J and Coney Island Ave (you may notice on the same street as Difara's, 3 blocks down) called Essex On Coney- they have a very respectable pastrami. otherwise a pretty good deli, but the pastrami works. and people speak highly of Ben's Best in queens for pastrami, which i have yet to try. carnegie deli is LONG over (i don't need 5 lbs. of mediocre meat, a lb. or so of high quality, melt in your mouth pastrami would really be much better thanks), forget about all the rest. stick with 2nd ave or corned beef and be happy. sorry to be the pastrami sayer of doom, i'm obviously a bit obsessed with pastrami sandwiches and i'm dissapointed ALL the time here in nyc. enjoy frankbooth

p.p.s. if you love liver, you must try the chopped liver at Russ and Daughters in the L.E.S. AMAZING- you wouldn't know they have liver necesserily being that they seem like a kosher fish place, but actually they are kosher style (though not in the sense of put a piece of cheese on your meat, more in the we have fish, dairy products, and a few delicious jewish style meat (flaishik) products). R&D also has excellent soups. and that salty lox, oh boy, salivating...
FrankBooth
Cheeseburger
RE: Ahhhh, Katz's Deli 2005/10/16 13:10:27 (permalink)
p.p.p.s. it's been explained to me that the reason the smoked meats in montreal are juicer and more ecstatic than in ny is that here in the NY there is a minimum temperature at which meat must be cooked and apparently in montreal they can cook it at lower temperatures so it doesn't get gummy or overcooked. in fact someone explained the same thing about ny verses new haven pizza- new haven coal fired ovens are really only about 500 degrees (i asked at Pepe's a couple of times) whereas NYC pizza ovens are generally hotter, so the pizza dries out faster. new haven crusts are so moist and delicious and not at all like cardboard, so much flavor, NYC crusts are mostly cheap flours and woody tasting (not in the good way). during a long conversation with dominic dimarco (MR. Difara) about pizza one night (i'm a regular), he said this to me. "It's all how you keep a da flame!". he said pizza rarely has any "soul" anymore, and i think that applies to pastrami too. sorry to say it, but the montreal chassidic community has more pastrami soul than most all of NY! i mean it falls apart in your mouth, you cannot stop eating it, it barely even needs mustard, it is so snarky good!!! like the best of ny in it's heyday. i'm glad to be corrected if my heat theory is wrong (i'm an eater not a chef). enjoy- frank booth
Scallion1
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 418
RE: Ahhhh, Katz's Deli 2005/10/16 14:12:44 (permalink)
2nd Ave Deli: agree, except that if i gave up eating pastrami from there, where would i get my pastrami? not going to montreal for a sandwich.

2nd Ave Deli: agree about chopped liver. also try the gefulte fish, which, although it has a bit too much filler for me is delicious. also great dogs (Empire National), excellent rolled beef.

Russ and Dtrs: best smoked salmon in town (the Gaspe), great pickled herring. never had liver from there, wouldn't occur to me.

absolutely disbelieve bubba meise about cooking temps. only NYC Bd of Health requirement i'm aware of is that food can't be held between 40 and 140 deg. F. how low a temp can they cook at? 160 degrees? and who can tell them what temp to cook at?

re: pepe's. my guess is that, aside from the fact that they make a great dough and great toppings, the "secret" is that monster, coal-fired oven, which the pizzamen there have assured me on several occasions is kept at 650 deg. F.

and cooking the pies on that brick oven floor vaporizes any grease, so the crust comes out crusty. altho: last two visits have been busts, esp since they ran the "we're out of clams" game, the second time after we called on route, 15 minutes out, and were told they had plenty of clams.

frank, keep up the good work. i like your style.

ScreenBear
  • Total Posts : 1505
RE: Ahhhh, Katz's Deli 2005/10/16 23:44:32 (permalink)
Scallion...2nd Avenue has rolled beef? I haven't had rolled beef in decades, ever since Best Provisions, Newark, NJ, stopped making it. I thought everyone stopped making it. Is the 2nd Avenue's a good example of the species? If so, it looks like a trip is in order. I'll get the chopped liver as a side. I'd also get the kasha, but I think their kasha is mediocre. Even mine's better.
P.S.--Talking about kasha. If you want some decent kasha, as well as some pretty good pierogies, Tania's in Jersey City is quite good. They also have tripe soup. It's my favorite Polish restaurant.
Scallion1
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 418
RE: Ahhhh, Katz's Deli 2005/10/17 00:33:03 (permalink)
i remember having rolled beef there about 10 years ago. but, then again, i was with my mother-in-law, so it's possible that i was eating rolled living-room carpet with mustard on it.

kasha is so quick and easy to make well that i hardly ever order it out. it remains a mystery to me why it's not more popular: great source of protein and fiber, low in calories in that it doesn't require any heavy sauce (although the gravy from a potroast surely isn't out of place) inexpensive, and hard to screw up.
FrankBooth
Cheeseburger
RE: Ahhhh, Katz's Deli 2005/10/17 21:46:14 (permalink)
p.s. the kasha at the 2nd avenue deli is some of the moistest i've ever had (even without the usual tons of gravy on it). a perfect example of excellent kasha varnishkes. i've had plenty of reheated, dry as a bone kasha varnishkes in my day (many rosh's cooked by a kosher caterer, arghhh). so let the moist kashes live on in this world please.

p.p.s. yes the liver at russ and daughters is a best kept secret. R&D obviously has some of the best smoked fish around, but their soups, liver, and even their plain tuna fish are all AMAZING. my daughter is obsessed with the trout roe there too- she eats it by the spoonful- that's a pricey habit, but there are worse (she hasn't discovered the caviars sitting next to that trout roe that cost 10 times as much). enjoy frank
larrygeller
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 17
RE: Ahhhh, Katz's Deli 2005/10/18 10:09:47 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ScreenBear

Scallion...2nd Avenue has rolled beef? I haven't had rolled beef in decades, ever since Best Provisions, Newark, NJ, stopped making it. I thought everyone stopped making it. Is the 2nd Avenue's a good example of the species? If so, it looks like a trip is in order.
I am also on a rolled beef quest. Is it the hard stuff (with the rope in it), or the inferior, soft version, which is all I've seen for years? Ben's Best deli on Queens Blvd. still features it on their menu, but hardly ever get any delivered.
marxbro
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 19
RE: Ahhhh, Katz's Deli 2005/10/18 10:50:08 (permalink)
Katz's is very good, but the bread is not double baked. For the best pastrami in the US go to Langers in Los Angeles on Alvarado/7th Street, near downtown Los Angeles. This pastrami is handsliced and spiced perfectly on rye bread that is double backed.

By the way for an excellent Katz's experience get a pastrami to go on a sourdough roll. They take a lot of the bread out of the roll and replace it with pastrami. By the time you eat the sandwich the roll is warm and soft. PERFECT.
marxbro
Junior Burger
RE: Ahhhh, Katz's Deli 2005/10/18 10:52:12 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Antihound

quote:

So you don't have to drive to far to enjoy Katz's, there are a couple of internet sites that deliver Katz's food.

Sorry people, the best pastami in the world is at Langer's in downtown LA. For some strange reason it is not as famous as Katz's.

Check out this link:

Sorry I can't agree. Langers is OK, nothing great and doesn't come close to Katz's. Last month I went to NYC and had a pastrami sandwich at Katz's the day before I left. I went to Langers the next day and Katz's beats Langers by a mile. Langers is a 6, Katz is a 10.

I have read many people raving about Langers but I don't get it. It's not that big of a deal. For the price and quality of the pastrami Johnny's in Culver City and any Hat location is better than Langers.
marxbro
Junior Burger
RE: Ahhhh, Katz's Deli 2005/10/18 10:56:15 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Antihound

quote:

Check out this link:

I strongly disagree. I go to Katzs about three times a year and Langers a dozen. Katzs pastrami is ok but not melt in your mouth like Langers and the bread at Katz's sucks. Its fall-a-part-stale rye. How can you even consider a Katz pastrami sandwich good when the bread is so weak?
porkbeaks
  • Total Posts : 2217
RE: Ahhhh, Katz's Deli 2005/10/18 11:14:44 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by larrygeller

quote:
Originally posted by ScreenBear

Scallion...2nd Avenue has rolled beef? I haven't had rolled beef in decades, ever since Best Provisions, Newark, NJ, stopped making it. I thought everyone stopped making it. Is the 2nd Avenue's a good example of the species? If so, it looks like a trip is in order.
I am also on a rolled beef quest. Is it the hard stuff (with the rope in it), or the inferior, soft version, which is all I've seen for years? Ben's Best deli on Queens Blvd. still features it on their menu, but hardly ever get any delivered.

Please excuse a goyish question but, what exactly is "rolled beef"? Google didn't help. Is it like bracciole? pb
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5116
RE: Ahhhh, Katz's Deli 2005/10/18 12:08:10 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by porkbeaks

Please excuse a goyish question but, what exactly is "rolled beef"? Google didn't help. Is it like bracciole? pb

Hmmmm...I guess the best way to describe it is that it is a bunch of scraps pressed into a loaf like shape. Always seemed to me like it was probably all the little chunks and shavings left when they were slicing other cuts of meat. I haven't had it in years.

"goyish question"...that is funny...especially coming from someone with "pork" in their name!
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3531
RE: Ahhhh, Katz's Deli 2005/10/18 16:33:57 (permalink)
hey, frankbooth, welcome to roadfood.com..........

finally someone that agrees with me that Katz's pastrami is way past its' prime !!! I, too, kept giving it a few chances.......too "goyish" tasting for my styles, and too much "light pink" in color. but I was getting tired of being the silent minority, so thanks for speaking up Frankbooth!
the only thing I really liked at Katzs was the hot dogs, and the old time countermen.

I like dark pink color, just like the Bens Best in Rego Park, Queens that you mentioned. I've been there, and it's JUST the way pastrami should taste. Over there on 63rd blvd. I took the bus up from Atlantic city ,then on a couple of subways to get there, but it was worth it.
it is NO relation to Bens kosher delis in NYC., btw folks..

and frankbooth, the "pastrami king" of your youth moved from queens to NYC (Lexington ave in the upper 80's) . It also underwent a "gender change" and became the Pastrami QUEEN. same owners, though

carnegie is just mediocre, not as good as it used to be. I could'nt agree with you more, frankbooth.

for a good pastrami, like the kind you mentioned having in your youth, go to Harolds NY deli in Edison, NJ. .....Haroldsnydeli.com

it's off of exit 127 of the garden state parkway. owner Harold used to be a partner at the Carnegie. I was just at Harolds yesterday for only the 2nd time ! (first time was a few weeks ago, and the pastrami was so succulent I had to go back and take my sister. she's also a tough pastrami critic!!)
I enjoyed speaking to Harold, himself, such a great schmoozer, and he told me he was at the Carnegie from 1982 till 1990. I told him the pastrami has'nt been the same there since!! ( all I know is that the last few years the Carnegie pastrami has been just decent, but certainly not succulent. I don't get all the hoopla over the Carnegie!)

Harolds is $13.50 for a pastrami, and worth every dollar!
the sandwich is so big (13 ounces), that I ended up wrapping up half of it to bring back down to my buddy Arnie , here in our Atlantic City area.
plus there was an excellent pickle bar, with excellent health salad, and all the extra rye bread and butter you can handle.

enjoy !
ellen
FrankBooth
Cheeseburger
RE: Ahhhh, Katz's Deli 2005/10/19 22:12:33 (permalink)
ellen- thanks for the tip on harolds- guess i'm going to jersey for a pastrami. if he really was at carnegie from 82-90 then he was there at the end of the heyday of carnegie. that is some pedigree for sure. pretty tough to get that close to atlantic city and not go to white house sub shop, so i guess it's pastrami for dinner and white house for lunch. thanks again and good eats! frankbooth
davetoo
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 45
RE: Ahhhh, Katz's Deli 2005/10/27 16:40:15 (permalink)
With all the negative opinions about Katz's Deli(THE ONLY ONE IN NYC) being generated by this thread,I thought I would toss my humble opinion out into this discussion. My wife and I were at Katz's deli a couple of weekends ago (a Saturday around 2:30PM). The place was packed. She had a corned beef on rye with chicken soup and steak fries & I had pastrami on rye with steak fries. Granted we're from Western Massachusetts, and may not know any better, but we thought that everything was TOTALLY MELT-IN-YOUR MOUTH, BLOW YOUR SOCKS OFF, OUTSTANDING. We certainly wish that we had a deli experience of this quality in our area. The entire food scene here (Pioneer / Happy Valley) is pretty depressing & marginal at best. If anyone has a suggestions, they would be much appreciated.
Tengo Hambre
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: Ahhhh, Katz's Deli 2005/10/27 20:24:48 (permalink)
Glad you and your wife enjoyed the food. Without question Katz's is still the King!! Btw Mass. is a beautiful State. Happy Eating- Tengo
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5116
RE: Ahhhh, Katz's Deli 2005/10/27 21:10:56 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by davetoo
The entire food scene here (Pioneer / Happy Valley) is pretty depressing & marginal at best. If anyone has a suggestions, they would be much appreciated.

Glad you liked Katz's...I like it too...although I rarely get there these days. I do travel up your way quite a bit, and like some of the roadfood type places listed in the restaurant section (Nick's Nest, White Hut, La Pazzaria in Northampton) as well as a lot of other places. Northampton is a great eating spot, and there are a lot of good places in Springfield as well. I think we often overlook things in our backyard. Like I said, I rarely get to Katz's, even though I love it, and I am in NYC almost daily. Hey, I was only at the Statue of Liberty for the first time when I was in my 40's!
nyn8ive
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 25
RE: Ahhhh, Katz's Deli 2006/05/06 13:10:31 (permalink)
I consider myself somewhat of an expert on this subject and have eaten at all of the aforementioned emporiums of Pastrami and Katz's is the winner by a landslide, 2nd Ave is second and Langers is an honorable mention due only because of it's location in Los Angeles.
I grew up in Lower Manhattan and 2nd Ave Deli was walking distance and Katz's was a few blocks from my High School. Just give the counter man a tip and he'll slice off a sample of Pastrami that is equivalent to a sandwich in most places. After Katz's head down the street a block or two to Yonah Schimmels for the best Knish in the world. I told my wife to leave my ashes at Katz's. By the way there is no other Katz's aside from Houston Street.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1