Ahhhh, Katz's Deli

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
RC51Mike
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 445
2004/08/26 07:55:35 (permalink)

Ahhhh, Katz's Deli

An ex-New Yorker colleague had been singing the praises of Katz's for quite some time so, finally we decided to go up for lunch yesterday (two hours each way from Delaware.) Being stricken with indecision I had a corned beef and a pastrami (ate half of each.) I have to say I'm speechless. Easily the best of each kind I've ever had. While the pastrami was great, the corned beef was the best corned beef I had by an order of magnitude. It just melts in your mouth. I was skeptical of the thick slices, having been raised to believe that it should be paper thin and anything other would be tough and stringy. Was I ever wrong. The only downside was I had no room for a hot dog. Next time.

54 Replies Related Threads

garykg6
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 358
    RE: Ahhhh, Katz's Deli 2004/08/26 09:35:59 (permalink)
    under no circumstances should you avoid the hot dogs at Katz's(John Fox take heed!),often overlooked due to what has been said about the corned beef and pastrami,beef brisket as well.hot dogs are terrific....glad you enjoyed yourself,Katz's is as close to heaven as I'll ever get
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4578
    RE: Ahhhh, Katz's Deli 2004/08/26 10:19:29 (permalink)
    The photo of the corned beef pastrami sandwich at Katz's in the[url='http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Writeup.aspx?ReviewID=243&RefID=243']review on this site[/url] makes puts this place near the top of my "must visit" places

pennypincher
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 54
    RE: Ahhhh, Katz's Deli 2004/08/26 12:20:55 (permalink)
    I doubt that there is anywhere in the USA that a better corned beef/brisket/pastrami/hot dog/potato salad is available. Katz's
    is tops
    Howard Baratz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 450
    RE: Ahhhh, Katz's Deli 2004/08/26 14:18:33 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by TJ Jackson

The photo of the corned beef sandwich at Katz's in the[url='http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Writeup.aspx?ReviewID=243&RefID=243']review on this site[/url] makes puts this place near the top of my "must visit" places

TJ:

I may be wrong but I believe the photo is of one of Katz's beautiful Pastrami sandwiches. The pepper-encrusted edges are a dead giveaway.
    Lone Star
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: Ahhhh, Katz's Deli 2004/08/26 14:22:44 (permalink)
    Believe it or not, the Lone Star State has the good fortune to have two Katz's Delis. One is in Austin on 6th street and the other is here in Houston on Westheimer. Marc Katz moved here and opened them in the late 70's.

I like to go there occasionally for lunch, but it is always packed. Lots of little old people seem to lunch there as well.

My favorite thing is the creamed spinach. I swear I could take a bath in that stuff.
    Lone Star
    RE: Ahhhh, Katz's Deli 2004/08/26 14:28:42 (permalink)
    Here is the link to Austin

http://www.katzneverkloses.com/news/index.htm

I just noticed at the bottom of the page that Marc Katz has launched a line of deli meats that will be sold in stores.

He was at Central Market here in Houston a couple of weekends ago when I was shopping there. They were passing out samples of the Katz's pickles (I think these were half-sour). I tried one with some mustard on it and bought a whole jar. Delicious.
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4578
    RE: Ahhhh, Katz's Deli 2004/08/26 15:09:55 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Howard Baratz
    TJ:

I may be wrong but I believe the photo is of one of Katz's beautiful Pastrami sandwiches. The pepper-encrusted edges are a dead giveaway.
    Err...yep. :-)

I re-read the review, and every pic is of pastrami.

So...my opinion of Katz's hasn't changed, but the sandwich I am going to eat there has :-) (I edited my original post to reflect this)
    Michael Stern
    • Total Posts : 1031
    RE: Ahhhh, Katz's Deli 2004/08/26 15:12:59 (permalink)
    I wonder if anyone perceives New York and Chicago as I do: the former a pastrami town, the latter corned beef. Not that you can't get good pastrami in Chicago and good corned beef in New York.
    Hillbilly
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 992
    RE: Ahhhh, Katz's Deli 2004/08/26 16:28:46 (permalink)
    2nd Avenue Deli wil give Katz's a run for their money--and Jake's in Milwaukee comes close on the corned beef.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Ahhhh, Katz's Deli 2004/08/26 16:31:19 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by TJ Jackson

The photo of the corned beef pastrami sandwich at Katz's in the[url='http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Writeup.aspx?ReviewID=243&RefID=243']review on this site[/url] makes puts this place near the top of my "must visit" places

See the fat, people! This is what great corned beef or, as in this case, pastrami, is supposed to be.[|)]
    marky
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 104
    RE: Ahhhh, Katz's Deli 2004/08/26 16:50:50 (permalink)
    when i was a kid back in fonzie times my father used to take me to katzs on houston st. the group of deli men stood behind a long counter and for 60 cents you got a corn beef on rye hand cut and beyond belief. still great but it costs more than 1.00 for sandwich frnch fries and a coke. happy days where did you go
    acer2x
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 446
    RE: Ahhhh, Katz's Deli 2004/08/26 17:51:04 (permalink)
    Absolutely The Best!!!

"Send a Salami to your boy in the Army"
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7834
    RE: Ahhhh, Katz's Deli 2004/08/26 18:05:37 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lone Star

My favorite thing is the creamed spinach. I swear I could take a bath in that stuff.

That might be an interesting sight to see!
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Ahhhh, Katz's Deli 2004/08/26 18:12:37 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Stern

I wonder if anyone perceives New York and Chicago as I do: the former a pastrami town, the latter corned beef. Not that you can't get good pastrami in Chicago and good corned beef in New York.

Wouldn't know. In Chicago I head straight for the Berghoff or someplace to get some kind of sausage (including hot dogs) while in New York I go to a deli and get what looks and smells the best (though I have to admit I give the edge to corned beef--just like it better).
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Ahhhh, Katz's Deli 2004/08/26 18:17:55 (permalink)
    quote:

Galatoire's in New Orleans makes great creamed spinach too though at $3.50 it's probably pricier than Katz's.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Ahhhh, Katz's Deli 2004/08/26 18:37:39 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BT

quote:

Galatoire's in New Orleans makes great creamed spinach too though at $3.50 it's probably pricier than Katz's.

Surprize!!!---just checked Katz menu and beleive it or not---Galatoire's spinach is 49cents CHEAPER!
    Lone Star
    RE: Ahhhh, Katz's Deli 2004/08/27 09:57:29 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wanderingjew

quote:

That might be an interesting sight to see!

Yeah, its hard enough to get it out of your teeth! " />
    mttbrn
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: Ahhhh, Katz's Deli 2004/08/27 10:46:37 (permalink)
    Hate to burst your bubble Lone Star, but just a quick glance at the Texas Katz's website tells this NY that all they have in common name. Totally different menu, logo, everything. And you ain't lived till you've had the real thing, ONLY available at the corner of Houston and Ludlow.
    Lone Star
    RE: Ahhhh, Katz's Deli 2004/08/27 11:25:37 (permalink)
    Nah, ain't gonna burst my bubble. It's as close as we can get down here and the food is great.
    Charlie1
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 14
    RE: Ahhhh, Katz's Deli 2004/10/07 22:56:17 (permalink)
    Marc Katz can make a great reuben...but his family life doesn't taste so good. His bid for mayor was pretty much wiped out by the story of his nephew going to prison for putting a contract out on his wife. I have to hand it to him though, for sending Leslie, Austin's craziest Transvestite homeless person, to Houston for the grand opening of the new Katz's. Leslie had just made some money appearing in his purple bikini and 3 inch heels in a superbowl commercial. He spent the cash on a horrible fake fur coat with matching pill box hat and a Chanel knock off purse. And although the coat matched his 12 inch beard, the effect was jarring.
    Spudnut
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 655
    RE: Ahhhh, Katz's Deli 2004/10/07 23:11:29 (permalink)
    quote:

Believe it or not, the Lone Star State has the good fortune to have two Katz's Delis. One is in Austin on 6th street and the other is here in Houston on Westheimer. Marc Katz moved here and opened them in the late 70's.

I like to go there occasionally for lunch, but it is always packed. Lots of little old people seem to lunch there as well.

Do these places have any connection to the New York restaurant, or is it just a coincidental (or non-coincidental) name?
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3755
    RE: Ahhhh, Katz's Deli 2004/10/07 23:22:04 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Spudnut

quote:

Do these places have any connection to the New York restaurant, or is it just a coincidental (or non-coincidental) name?

I believe the only thing in common is name. IIRC, there is a sign in Katz's (NY) that states that they are the ONLY location of this family's business. I have read some reviews of the TX locations on some other sites, and, from what I can tell, it is not even close to the same thing. Many people talk about it being "overpriced" -- which, despite the $12 bill for a corned beef sammich at Ludlow and Houston, no one would consider overpriced.

I still plan on checking out the Austin locale during my trip there next week. I will try to post my findings.

Steve
    hermitt4d
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 367
    RE: Ahhhh, Katz's Deli 2004/10/07 23:54:49 (permalink)
    Marc Katz was from NY I think, working as a car salesman in Austin with no experience in the restaurant biz when he opened the original Katz in Austin. His son runs the Houston location; there was a big lawsuit between father and son a few years ago; all I know is it was settled and the father still appears in the TV ads in Houston. There is no connection with the NY restaurant.

I have never been to Katz in Houston, both because of stories of very rude service and because of my longstanding devotion to Kahn's Deli in the Village.

I don't know what that sandwich is supposed to be; Kahn's is famous for their Reuben but the cheese and sauerkraut should be on top of the meat. I usually sit at one of the stools along the wall on the right where I can read the yellowed newspaper clippings and look at the pics of the history of the place. Mike Kahn's father opened Alfred's in the Village in 1948 and it was one of the best eateries in Houston for decades. After Alfed's closed years ago I was Reuben-deprived for years - couldn't find another good one in Houston - until I found out the son had opened this hole-in-the-wall deli just across the street from where the original Alfred's was located.

I usually have the reuben, but someday I'm gonna try the Olajuwon special - a Texanigerian deli special! Check it out on the menu on the web site: http://www.kahnsdeli.com

ericats
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 112
    RE: Ahhhh, Katz's Deli 2004/10/08 01:00:21 (permalink)
    So you don't have to drive to far to enjoy Katz's, there are a couple of internet sites that deliver Katz's food.

Sorry people, the best pastami in the world is at Langer's in downtown LA. For some strange reason it is not as famous as Katz's.

If you are a true foodie it is definitely worth the trek.

Check out this link:

http://www.laweekly.com/ink/02/48/dining-gold.php
    ericats
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 112
    RE: Ahhhh, Katz's Deli 2004/10/08 10:17:21 (permalink)
    And this link as well:

http://www.laweekly.com/ink/04/25/the-gold2.php
    Wholebelly
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 24
    RE: Ahhhh, Katz's Deli 2004/10/08 11:03:14 (permalink)
    There is a Katz's deli in New Haven (actually Amity) that has a New York vibe. Pastrami, corned beef, tongue, matzo ball soup, etc. Any relation to the New York Katz's?
    BaconBits
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 71
    RE: Ahhhh, Katz's Deli 2004/10/08 14:40:04 (permalink)
    Katz's or 2nd Avenue Deli - I opt for the tongue sandwich. Tongue on rye. Can't beat it!

But come to think of it - the Chopped Liver platter at 2nd Avenue is pretty awesome. Almost rivals the tongue.

Looks like I have my Sunday afternoon mapped out... HA!
    kelehr
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 17
    RE: Ahhhh, Katz's Deli 2005/07/12 01:39:36 (permalink)
    Originally posted by hermitt4d

Marc Katz was from NY I think, working as a car salesman in Austin with no experience in the restaurant biz when he opened the original Katz in Austin. His son runs the Houston location; there was a big lawsuit between father and son a few years ago; all I know is it was settled and the father still appears in the TV ads in Houston. There is no connection with the NY restaurant.

I have never been to Katz in Houston, both because of stories of very rude service and because of my longstanding devotion to Kahn's Deli in the Village.

I don't know what that sandwich is supposed to be; Kahn's is famous for their Reuben but the cheese and sauerkraut should be on top of the meat. I usually sit at one of the stools along the wall on the right where I can read the yellowed newspaper clippings and look at the pics of the history of the place. Mike Kahn's father opened Alfred's in the Village in 1948 and it was one of the best eateries in Houston for decades. After Alfed's closed years ago I was Reuben-deprived for years - couldn't find another good one in Houston - until I found out the son had opened this hole-in-the-wall deli just across the street from where the original Alfred's was located.

I usually have the reuben, but someday I'm gonna try the Olajuwon special - a Texanigerian deli special! Check it out on the menu on the web site: http://www.kahnsdeli.com

Alfreds was an experience & I am glad that his son is carrying on the tradition. As far as Katz, the corned beef & pastrami are more than good but the fried deli pickle spears are just too good!!!
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3755
    RE: Ahhhh, Katz's Deli 2005/07/12 01:53:22 (permalink)
    That this thread has been hijacked by the Texas variety Katz's is disturbing. Any confusion between the Texas locations and the original -- I am confident that the TX locations don't go back over 100 years -- would be dismissed by the taste of one corned beef/pastrami/brisket sandwich at Houston (pronounced How-ston, not to be confused with the city of the same spelling) and Ludlow.

A fried pickle spear at Katz's -- oy vey. Might as well order the ham and swiss on white toast with extra mayo.

Steve
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1