The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Airport cereal

NYNM

• Total Posts: 3037
Airport cereal Mon, 08/20/07 1:02 AM (permalink)
While recently waiting for a flight at Newark (NJ) airport, I noticed a new "snack" (?) - a (largish) box of cereal (10 varieties or so, no brand name, just mixes like Cranberry Morning or Healthy Grains, etc.). It was $4.50, and if you bought one (I did) you got to take a pint of milk out of the fridge to put on top. Now this was at 4:30 in the afternoon, not really a breakfast food.

I kinda found it a comforting and "possibly" healthy snack.

Has anyone else seen this anywhere?

syrup

• Total Posts: 164
    RE: Airport cereal Tue, 09/18/07 12:55 PM (permalink)
    This reminds me of the little boxes of cereal you see at breakfast buffets. I never seem to choose those. I also remember seeing those boxes at a Howard Johnsons that was near my house many years ago, (that Hojo is now a Kerby's Coney Island.)

Does anyone remember cereal boxes with the bowl built into the packaging? I remember those from camp. It was always Kellog brand cereal.

jvsmom

• Total Posts: 462
      RE: Airport cereal Tue, 09/18/07 1:10 PM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by syrup

Does anyone remember cereal boxes with the bowl built into the packaging? I remember those from camp. It was always Kellog brand cereal.

Do you mean the boxes that were perforated on one side, kind of like an "H" shape, so that you ripped it open, then cut an opening in the plastic bag underneath, then poured in the milke and ate right out of the little box? I remember those - you got them when you bought the "variety pack" of cereal. Usually Frosted Flakes, Corn Flakes, and the like. They still make them - I think I've gotten them in the hospital when I was in to have my children. But I believe I've tried them, and the packaging is poor quality so they don't work - the milk ends up going right through and making a big mess.

syrup

• Total Posts: 164
        RE: Airport cereal Tue, 09/18/07 3:11 PM (permalink)
        Actually it was a small plastic odd shaped bowl with a paper lid on top. if you rip the lid you would have a small bowl of cereal right there. I should have expalained it better the first time.

catosaurus

RE: Airport cereal Tue, 09/18/07 3:41 PM (permalink)
          Those plastic single-serving bowls of cereal are standard issue at motels with "continental breakfasts". I'm old enough to remember the cardboard box versions that used to be available (yes, they opened with an "H" shaped perforation pattern), but those have now been superseded by the plastic bowls. The lids are peeled back (similar to cups o' noodles) to permit application of a milk product.

NYNM

• Total Posts: 3037
            RE: Airport cereal Fri, 09/21/07 1:06 AM (permalink)
            I remember those rectangular boxes, too. In fact lots of motels have done away with them since guests hoard them and take them home - they just have a giant cereal dispenser.

But the cereal I saw at Newark airport (which I have had again since my first post) was much much better than these boxes. The containers are round, about twice as large, and have some original mixes. Price is $4.95, quite a bit more that the box. I wish I could find this outside the airport, I'd buy it.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
              • No New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
              • Locked w/ New Messages
              • Locked w/o New Messages
              • Read Message
              • Post New Thread
              • Reply to message
              • Post New Poll
              • Submit Vote
              • Post reward post
              • Delete my own posts
              • Delete my own threads
              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com