Akron Ohio: Duplicating Menches Bros Hamburger from 1885

Author
scrumptiouschef
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 693
2013/05/30 13:28:34 (permalink)

Akron Ohio: Duplicating Menches Bros Hamburger from 1885

We're a little over a week away from our latest pop up restaurant adventure. We're tackling the 4 strongest claimants as to being inventor of the hamburger. Menches Bros, Kaelin's, Nagreen's and Old Dave Fletcher.
Here's our Menches formula: any buckeyes out there that can add anything?

Protein: All natural, hand patted, Texas beef patty via Branch Ranch in Plains, Texas (hormone and antibiotic free, verified natural) Certainly a big improvement over the meat of that era.
Seasoning: Coffee, brown sugar, salt and pepper
Cooking method: cast iron pan
Cooking medium: oil
Bread: White bread (the hamburger bun was not invented til 1916 by Walter Anderson of White Castle fame
Topping: leaf lettuce, tomato, onion
Condiment: mustard

obviously we're using the best Texas beef we can lay our hands on.

18 Replies Related Threads

EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4019
    Re:Akron Ohio: Duplicating Menches Bros Hamburger from 1885 2013/05/30 16:34:46 (permalink)
    Interesting, I always thought Louis Lunch in New Haven invented the hamburger, but you've got dates 15 years earlier. Seems like I've got to read up on the places you mentioned. Any of them still around?
    scrumptiouschef
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Akron Ohio: Duplicating Menches Bros Hamburger from 1885 2013/05/30 22:56:50 (permalink)
    as near as I can tell Menches Bros is the only one with a current brick n mortar up n running.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:Akron Ohio: Duplicating Menches Bros Hamburger from 1885 2013/05/31 21:00:11 (permalink)
    Very cool project for an event.

How are you incorporating coffee into the hamburger?
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5076
    Re:Akron Ohio: Duplicating Menches Bros Hamburger from 1885 2013/05/31 21:11:01 (permalink)
    I've heard, there are four places that claim to have invented the hamburger.

Louis Lunch stands (quite) firm that they did the first one.

Regardless, I'm sure glad someone did!
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Akron Ohio: Duplicating Menches Bros Hamburger from 1885 2013/05/31 21:17:22 (permalink)
    I found it interesting after I read this. Thanks, Scrumptious Chef. Kaelin's is the one who claims to have invented the cheeseburger in 1934. Interesting stuff about the other places and people too. Good topic!
    Davwud
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 522
    Re:Akron Ohio: Duplicating Menches Bros Hamburger from 1885 2013/06/01 08:53:32 (permalink)
    Twinwillow

The Library of Congress gives Louie Lessen credit for inventing the hamburger but there are other claims. Three others are being investigated here however I don't feel any of them did because all of these sandwiches came on bread not a bun. As such, I feel like they created something more like a hamburger sandwich rather than a straight up hamburger.

It is what it is however.

DT
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    Re:Akron Ohio: Duplicating Menches Bros Hamburger from 1885 2013/06/01 11:37:31 (permalink)
    Davwud

Twinwillow

The Library of Congress gives Louie Lessen credit for inventing the hamburger but there are other claims. Three others are being investigated here however I don't feel any of them did because all of these sandwiches came on bread not a bun. As such, I feel like they created something more like a hamburger sandwich rather than a straight up hamburger.

DT

So, who then was the first to have invented the hamburger on a bun?
    scrumptiouschef
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Akron Ohio: Duplicating Menches Bros Hamburger from 1885 2013/06/01 12:06:43 (permalink)
    CCinNJ

Very cool project for an event.

How are you incorporating coffee into the hamburger?

we're making a dust out of salt, pepper, sugar and coffee
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18451
    Re:Akron Ohio: Duplicating Menches Bros Hamburger from 1885 2013/06/01 12:42:43 (permalink)
    Twinwillow

Davwud

Twinwillow

DT

Well, shortly after I invented the bun I happened to run out of bread while cooking a hamburger. Thinking quickly I reached for my newly-invented bun and, lo and behold ... well, I'm sure you know the rest.

Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    Re:Akron Ohio: Duplicating Menches Bros Hamburger from 1885 2013/06/01 13:04:20 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman

Twinwillow

Davwud

Twinwillow

DT

Well, shortly after I invented the bun I happened to run out of bread while cooking a hamburger. Thinking quickly I reached for my newly-invented bun and, lo and behold ... well, I'm sure you know the rest.

Pure genius, Michael. We all thank you for your inventive spirit!  Oh by the way, I was curious. Did you use a plain or seeded bun? 
    Davwud
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 522
    Re:Akron Ohio: Duplicating Menches Bros Hamburger from 1885 2013/06/01 13:41:30 (permalink)
    Twinwillow

Davwud

Twinwillow

DT

This is my vote for the inventor of the Hamburger: http://www.webersoftulsa.com/webers_story.asp

There are many who shoot it down and I believe sometimes it has nothing to do with the claim but simple geography. People in and around New Haven will never agree to this. I've even seen people, from Texas, admit that they won't allow it due to interstate rivalry. I have absolutely no ties to any claim anywhere. I simply believe that if it was served on bread, it doesn't qualify.
    http://www.webersoftulsa.com/webers_story.asp

DT
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    Re:Akron Ohio: Duplicating Menches Bros Hamburger from 1885 2013/06/01 13:55:40 (permalink)
    Sound's real enough to convince me.
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Akron Ohio: Duplicating Menches Bros Hamburger from 1885 2013/06/01 14:27:24 (permalink)
    DT,
    I don't know how  much I believe of that more than any of the other stories, but Weber sure sounds like a worthwhile stop for a visit some time. Even though I've had two large grills and the little portable one, I never knew all about the history. Never too old too learn!
    Ed
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:Akron Ohio: Duplicating Menches Bros Hamburger from 1885 2013/06/01 14:48:52 (permalink)
    Best wishes for a great event next week!

I can't wait to read all about it!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18451
    Re:Akron Ohio: Duplicating Menches Bros Hamburger from 1885 2013/06/01 15:33:42 (permalink)
    I invented the bun. A bun does not have seeds. Those things that have seeds on them are called chicken feed.
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    Re:Akron Ohio: Duplicating Menches Bros Hamburger from 1885 2013/06/01 16:16:00 (permalink)
    EdSails

DT,
    I don't know how  much I believe of that more than any of the other stories, but Weber sure sounds like a worthwhile stop for a visit some time. Even though I've had two large grills and the little portable one, I never knew all about the history. Never too old too learn!
    Ed

Weber Grill has nothing to do with this.

http://www.weber.com/
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    Re:Akron Ohio: Duplicating Menches Bros Hamburger from 1885 2013/06/01 16:53:06 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman

I invented the bun. A bun does not have seeds. Those things that have seeds on them are called chicken feed.

Oh. I did not know that.
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Akron Ohio: Duplicating Menches Bros Hamburger from 1885 2013/06/01 18:02:52 (permalink)
    kland01s

Weber Grill has nothing to do with this.

http://www.weber.com/

My mistake, just saw Weber and it slid through my brain too fast!

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1