Al Dowds Beefalo burgers

Author
Flay
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
2008/04/11 23:30:58 (permalink)

Al Dowds Beefalo burgers

Al Dowds was on Northern Blvd in Laural Hollow Nassau County Long Island New York, Just up the hill from the Cold Spring Harbor Fish Hatchery. They made the beefalo burgers with fries and you could get a beer on tap in a frozen beer mug.It was there until the mid 1980's. It was a lunch stop of mine when I was commuting from Huntington to New York Tech in Old Westbury.

5 Replies Related Threads

kozel
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 850
    RE: Al Dowds Beefalo burgers 2008/04/15 07:40:57 (permalink)
    In the older days it was called Wildwood Rest, a real roadside place on 25A. I remember being there in the 50's or 60's. Al Dowd ran a steak place in the Manero's fashion (w/ butcher shop attached) in Centerport and that place is long gone too. When the county upgraded the intersection near his Beefalo place the restaurant was 'removed'.

I'm sure Mr. A Mariner will have a tale to tell; I look forward to it.
    the ancient mariner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3987
    RE: Al Dowds Beefalo burgers 2008/04/15 11:02:38 (permalink)
    Mr A Mariner here !!!!!!!!

Bro Kozel U R 1000% correct. I often stopped at the Wildwood when it was clean and neat. But then it was sold and became a dump. It became a place where motorcycle gangs would meet. Then Dowd restored it, but progress and traffic on 25A changed the scenery forever.

Al Dowd was connected to the Manero's somehow. Either was a son-in-law or a trusted employee.
    We loved his place in Centerport. Great Manhattan's --- second only to Linck's----great gorgonzola
    salad. garlic bread, and very good steaks. Actually I had eaten at 2 or 3 restaurants that preceded Dowd's on that hill. The best steaks in the area were just across the street though. They were at the Mill Pond Inn----wonderful bar and a great pianist who knew every song that had been written from Mozart on. After dinner everyone would stand around the tinkling piano (I think the piano player was the guy Billy Joel wrote about) with a glass in hand and sing until we were hoarse. ---- Does wer da daze, my boy, does wer da daze !!!

When I moved to Conn. I went to Manero's in Greenwich quite often and bought steaks to take home for the family bar-b-q. But that too has bitten the dust----RIP.
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5117
    RE: Al Dowds Beefalo burgers 2008/04/15 11:55:23 (permalink)
    I worked in Glen Cove and would often stop at Dowd's on the way home for a beefalo burger and a beer. The burgers were long, not round, and served on a long roll. They also had good fries. In the winter they'd keep the big fireplace lit and we'd hang out in the back room playing one of those table top hockey games. We'd have "tournaments" until they kicked us out some nights.

They eventually tore the place down to improve the intersection and traffic flow. I get sad when ever I drive past.
    kozel
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 850
    RE: Al Dowds Beefalo burgers 2008/04/15 12:37:01 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by the ancient mariner

Al Dowd was connected to the Manero's somehow. Either was a son-in-law or a trusted employee.
    We loved his place in Centerport. Great Manhattan's --- second only to Linck's----great gorgonzola
    salad. garlic bread, and very good steaks. When I moved to Conn. I went to Manero's in Greenwich quite often and bought steaks to take home for the family bar-b-q. But that too has bitten the dust----RIP.

Mr. Mariner:
    If you come back to Long Island there is still a Manero's in Syosset (butcher shop only) with a steak place next door called Fulton & Prime that does a very good steak and a great gorgonzola salad.
    the ancient mariner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3987
    RE: Al Dowds Beefalo burgers 2008/04/15 15:54:07 (permalink)
    Thanks Kozel---I will be back in May and take a look. When Manero's first
    opened in Syosset they were on the North side of Jericho in a detached building.
    That building has been a number of restaurants since Manero's moved across the
    street into the shopping center.

Tony ---- I think I saw you there a few times. It was a great stop off place. I
    did work for the Cold Spring Lab and that was where we would go for lunch on occasion.
    and when we took the kids to the Fish Hatchery, or skate on the lake behind it, we
    would drive up the hill for a burger or a dog. I lived in Huntington and had my shop
    in Glen Cove so 25A is very familiar.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1