Hot!Alabama Getaway

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 2 of 5
Author
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10486
Re:A few days in Alabama 2009/11/13 08:31:41 (permalink)
EatingTheRoad

Eating at Isiah's seems like the best accident ever.
Actually, it isn't even the best accident in the last month.  That would be PK's Homestyle Cooking in Spartanburg.  But I still feel very fourtunate to have found this place.  I can't imagine the meal at Martha's Place being any better than what I was served at Isaiah's.

As for why I didn't get the sweet rolls from Bogue's to go, I knew that I had a monster eating day ahead of me.  There is no way I could have eaten a few of those and still hit all the places I wanted to.

JRPfeff-
You need to get your eyes checked.  I recommend a big slice of carrot cake for breakfast.  That is a UNLV shirt.  I definitely know better than to wear a UGA shirt in enemy SEC territory.

Nancy-
Thanks for the compliment.  I was really pleased with how well the photos from Isaiah's turned out.

WJ and I ate at Char Grill earlier this year, but I don't remember the slips of paper.  I think we just walked up and ordered at the menu.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:A few days in Alabama 2009/11/13 08:37:16 (permalink)
JDAStonewall

Buffetbuster-The key to a good Boston Cooler is that you can't just use any old ginger ale. You have to use Detroits very own Vernors! Next time you are in the Flint Michigan area stop and get one at a Halo Burger and you won't be disappointed. And while you are there try one of their famous burgers as well.
I don't drink ginger ale very often, but when I am in Michigan, you can bet I am drinking Vernors.  Great stuff!  Thanks for the tip about Halo Burger in Flint.  I may be in that area in the next month or so.

NC Cheesehead-
No problem here with the waitresses calling me honey or dearie.  It is standard practice, especially in the South.  I can't remember ever getting bad service from someone calling me sweetie. 

Lizzieslulu
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 61
Re:A few days in Alabama 2009/11/13 09:33:44 (permalink)
Great pictures! I can't wait to try Isaiah's. I go to Montgomery often in the summer for Biscuits Baseball but will be sure to go soon now.

Nancy-
Fried corn is basically the same thing as creamed corn. Southerners just call it fried because we often make it in an iron skillet.
greypatches
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 9
Re:A few days in Alabama 2009/11/13 10:25:35 (permalink)
Thanks for the great trip report - everything looks great and Isaiah's was especially nice to read about and see your fine pictures.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:A few days in Alabama 2009/11/13 10:29:54 (permalink)
For some odd reason, I had biscuits and gravy for breakfast all three days in Birmingham.  On Friday morning, I went to Niki's West.  My previous visit here was for dinner, but they open at 6:00AM and advertise their breakfast,

so I thought it would be worth checking out.

When I walked in, I started to go through the cafeteria line, but the hostess told me they have waitress service for breakfast.  Obviously, I got the biscuits and gravy, with sausage on the side.  What I didn't realize was I had somehow ordered sausage biscuits, with gravy on the side.

No matter, I just poured the gravy over top of the sandwiches and ate them like that.  The soft, fluffy biscuits were good as was the sausage patties, but the gravy was a little too thin for me.  They also told me a cinnamon roll

came with my meal, but it was excessively doughy and not that cinnamony.

I asked if they had pies ready and the friendly waitress checked for me and said they did.  Here is my slice of lemon ice box pie.

This pie had a very strong lemon flavor, but the consistency was too gloppy.  The graham cracker crust also seemed to be just an afterthought.  Not very good at all.  From now on, I will stick with the lunches and dinners at Niki's West.

On Saturday morning, I went to Courtney's,

which was just a little outside the downtown Birmingham area.  Courtney's looks like a typical small town cafe, with booths and tables on both sides of the counter. 

Most of the diners here seemed to be regulars.  My biscuits and gravy

contained some huge chunks of sausage,

which is never a bad thing.  The gravy was plenty thick, but contained too much pepper in it for my taste.

Courtney's Restaurant
2300 6th Avenue S
Birmingham, AL
205-251-3463

There is no doubt that of the breakfasts I had on this trip, Bogue's was a clear number one!
post edited by buffetbuster - 2009/11/13 10:59:33
EatingTheRoad
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1205
Re:A few days in Alabama 2009/11/13 11:16:33 (permalink)
Too bad on that Lemon Ice Box Pie...it looks more like a lemon Jell-O pudding mix.

What's that yellow squiggly in front of Courtney's?

That's some serious sausage action...I like loads of pepper in my biscuits and gravy

buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:A few days in Alabama 2009/11/13 11:21:10 (permalink)
ETR-
Then you would have really liked the gravy at Courtney's.  It was too much for me, though.  You know, I didn't really notice the squiggly line on the front of Courtney's until I saw the photo.  I have no clue what that is supposed to be.
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3778
Re:A few days in Alabama 2009/11/13 11:25:32 (permalink)
I didn't notice the yellow squiggly either, and now I'm terribly curious.

Yeah, that last plate of b&g would have suited me fine but these days I'm planning my meals around what will clear out my nose (wasabi, pickled cabbage) so I understand where you might not want to eat that on purpose.
JDAStonewall
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 52
Re:A few days in Alabama 2009/11/13 12:54:29 (permalink)
Nancy- Sorry I don't know the history of the Boston Cooler name but my guess would be that what Ralph found is correct. Vernors itself used to only be found in a small part of the midwest but it is slowly spreading across the country. My sister that lives in Durham, NC recently found it in a store there. This is making me curious about regional soda pops. I am going to have head to the beverage forum to see what I can find.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:A few days in Alabama 2009/11/13 13:31:49 (permalink)
Spending this much time in the South, no surprise that I ate some bbq.  Actually, I ate LOTS of bbq.  The last stop I made before flying home was at Full Moon Bar-B-Que.  This place was drawn to my attention by its appearance on a list of "100 Things to Eat in Alabama Before You Die". 

http://www.800alabama.com/yof/topDishes/

One of the first things you notice about this place is that instead of the typical pig theme and decorations throughout, they use a moon.

With the color scheme, neon signs and the moon mural, I think the outside of this place is striking.

I started my meal with the cole slaw,

which was one of those "100 Things to Eat".  The cole slaw is very crisp, with a strong vinegary flavor, with some added pickley sweetness.  I absolutely loved it!  Not being overly hungry, I got a pork bbq sandwich.

As you can see, this is a substantial sandwich.  The pork was lean and moist, with a healthy amount of the faintly sweet bbq sauce on it.  And as you can see from the other side,

the sandwich also comes with a couple pickle chips, plus a generous dose of the more sweet than spicy chow-chow.  Nice soft bun, too.  You can help yourself to the strong sweet tea.

The other item that Full Moon Bar-B-Que is most famous for is their half moon cookies.  So, I bought a half dozen to go, nicely wrapped

for easy traveling.  These are chocolate chip cookies, dipped halfway into chocolate.

My plan was to share them with the ladies in the office, but after I ate one, the rest quickly disappeared.  Hopefully, they aren't reading this!  

Another thing I liked about this place is that they had several tvs in the dining room, so I could sit there and watch some football games.  There are plenty of other things to sample on their big menu, but based on what I had, Full Moon Bar-B-Que gets a big thumbs up from me.

Full Moon Bar-B-Que
337 Valley Avenue
Birmingham, AL
205-942-9957 

There are a handful of other locations around the city. 

http://www.fullmoonbbq.com/

post edited by buffetbuster - 2009/11/13 13:41:53
NC Cheesehead
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 158
Re:A few days in Alabama 2009/11/13 14:10:05 (permalink)
That BBQ looks incredible.  Bad thing was I blew right by it a couple of weeks ago to get home during the weekend of the Talledhega race.  We wanted to get past the traffic.  Next time through, I will definitely stop in.
EatingTheRoad
Re:A few days in Alabama 2009/11/13 14:11:00 (permalink)
That squiggly yellow turned into a lot more than I thought! It's a sculpture (steel) by artist Branko Medenica titled "Leprechaun Lane". It was constructed in May 1981. It was lent to the Greater Birmingham Arts Alliance in August 1983 but was moved and reinstalled at Courtney's after the Alliance disbanded in 1993.

Then he made a replica of Vulcan for Birmingham's sister city of Hitachi, Japan:

A little bit about Branko, he's 59 years old, a current resident of Birmingham, Alabama (where his main studio is). He attended Birmingham-Southern College from 1968-72 earning his Bachelor of Arts. Then attended the University of Mississippi from 1973-75 earning his Master of Fine Arts with a Major in Sculpture and a Minor in Ceramics.

The essence of my work evolves from an exploration of both the physical and psychological movement in man in interaction with the spectrum of influences in inherent in nature. I aesthetically redefine the emotional impact of nature on man in motion.
At the foundation of the physical and psychological movement. I incorporate fluid forms, minimal line, segments of motion, or combinations of these and other elements to create a visual dialogue of movement. Surface texture, real or implied, has a harmonizing effect that reflects nature. This effect contributes to the blending of motion and nature into a single cohesive form.

These forms are shaped, combined, and textured to create a visual statement—a dialogue of movement and time.

EatingTheRoad
Re:A few days in Alabama 2009/11/13 14:12:13 (permalink)
P.S. I want that pulled pork sandwich for lunch right now!
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:A few days in Alabama 2009/11/13 15:00:00 (permalink)
Needing pie on Friday afternoon, I wanted to visit the Johnny Ray's location I stopped at in 2007.  Only it seemed to be gone and was replaced by something called Baby Ray's Bar B Que

Even though the names were similar, I was thinking about eating somewhere else, until I saw the sign I was looking for.

Johnny Ray's was best known for Honey's Pies, so this is what I needed to see.

Grabbing a booth, I was quickly brought a sweet tea.  Not sure why, but this big tumbler of sweet tea really caught my eye. 

In some of the reviews by Jane & Michael Stern, they talk about the importance of lots of ice to good sweet tea and I really liked how this looked.  This was the best sweet tea I had on my trip and there were lots of unusual looks by the staff since I took about a half dozen photos of it.

Thinking there is always some room for a little bit of bbq, I got a pork bbq sandwich.

By no means was this bad, but it was rather ordinary.  I ate most of it, but that was just killing time until dessert.  On the previous visit, Johnny and I had slices of coconut and chocolate pie, so this time I went with the banana.

Oh, baby, what a piece of pie this was!  It had a dense filling, lots of banana slices and an airy meringue top.  Now I was wishing I had skipped the sandwich and went with two pieces of pie, but I was too full to get another.

My waitress told me that this place broke away from the Johnny Ray's chain.  The nice pig mural on the side wall is gone, but they still have plenty of pig figurines inside.

Service here was excellent and my waitress (on the left)

was very outgoing and bubbly. And isn't that photo proof that we really can get along, despite our differences?  Of course, I'm talking about Alabama-Auburn fans here!

My advice would be to visit Johnny Ray's Baby Ray's Bar B Que for the pie, especially the banana creme.

Baby Ray's Bar B Que
316 Valley Avenue
Birmingham, AL
205-945-7437
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
Re:A few days in Alabama 2009/11/13 15:30:25 (permalink)
Two for two for barbecue!  Awesome, and those cookies . . I'm not surprised they didn't make it home.

Thanks for the info on the squiggly ETR--very interesting!
Ahi Mpls.
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 923
Re:A few days in Alabama 2009/11/13 21:36:00 (permalink)
  I now have a little game I play when reading your trip reports; study the menu and determine what BB is going to get...and while I'm usually fairly close, I must tell you that I NAILED Bogue's !! tho I was given pause by the T-Bone pork chop, tell me, did that cross your mind?   beautiful pics, and thanks for the Beavis and But*head moment at the begining of the report!! 
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
Re:A few days in Alabama 2009/11/14 08:54:13 (permalink)
The pie looks outstanding. As always, a report well worth reading.
Extreme Glow
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 717
Re:A few days in Alabama 2009/11/14 10:43:44 (permalink)
"I was trying to think what other restaurants I have visited that used this same method and came up with Little Tea Shop in Memphis, Yarbrough's Restaurant in Kansas and Bridges Barbecue Lodge in North Carolina.  What places have I forgotten? " 

Mary Mac's in Atlanta!

Nice report... now I'm hungry.

post edited by Extreme Glow - 2009/11/14 10:46:35
EatingTheRoad
Re:A few days in Alabama 2009/11/14 10:59:34 (permalink)
Extreme Glow

"I was trying to think what other restaurants I have visited that used this same method and came up with Little Tea Shop in Memphis, Yarbrough's Restaurant in Kansas and Bridges Barbecue Lodge in North Carolina.  What places have I forgotten? " 

Mary Mac's in Atlanta!

Nice report... now I'm hungry.

I love that place!

...also The Counter and almost all Japanese restaurants you can order this way.
post edited by EatingTheRoad - 2009/11/14 11:03:10
billyboy
  • Total Posts : 2462
Re:A few days in Alabama 2009/11/15 12:21:32 (permalink)
BB, another great report, man!  Love the cobbler in a sundae glass!  Isiah's just goes to show that great food brings people from all walks together.  What did you think of the boiled peanuts' texture?  Keep 'em comin'!
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:A few days in Alabama 2009/11/15 18:43:07 (permalink)
AHI MPLS

I now have a little game I play when reading your trip reports; study the menu and determine what BB is going to get...and while I'm usually fairly close, I must tell you that I NAILED Bogue's !! tho I was given pause by the T-Bone pork chop, tell me, did that cross your mind?   beautiful pics, and thanks for the Beavis and But*head moment at the begining of the report!! 
Now that I know that, I will take more photos of the menus or menu boards.  The T-Bone pork chop is definitely something I would order, but that is what I ate during my last visit to Bogue's.

Extreme Glow-
How could I forget Mary Mac's!

buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:A few days in Alabama 2009/11/15 19:20:24 (permalink)
The single best barbecue joint I visited on my trip was 13th Street Bar-B-Que in Phenix City.  Located on a small side street, you most likely would never just stumble upon this place, you would need to have been looking for it.  Once again, I was tipped off by the "100 Things to Eat in Alabama List". 

Jane and Michael Stern write that one of the surest signs of a good Roadfood restaurant is if they bill themselves as "The Home of....."  When I pulled up and saw that they bill themselves as "Home of the Pork Chop Sandwich",

I had a good feeling. The building

itself is nothing to look at and sits next to a hair salon in a two business mini-strip mall.  The menu board

offered some interesting options, including getting a pork sandwich either chipped, chopped or sliced.  But there was no doubt that I was here for the pork chop sandwich.

I started with a small cup of the Brunswick Stew,

which had a nice, tangy zip to it.  When I ordered my pork chop sandwich, they asked if I wanted the hot or the mild hot mustard sauce.  Not knowing just how hot the hot was, they gave me sample.  It most definitely deserved to be called hot and I was concerned that something with this strong a flavor would detract from the rest of the sandwich.  So the mild it was.  Here is my pork chop sandwich. 

It came on a soft, poppy seed bun and the tender, moist meat was well over an inch thick in places. It also comes with a tasty bbq slaw.

Since the mild sauce was a little too mild for me, I did eventually experiment with the sauces

that were on the table until I found the perfect blend.

I think because they saw me sitting there taking photos and that they were getting ready to close and had some extra food, the young guy came over and gave me some ribs to try.

Even though these St. Louis style ribs were short in length, they were mighty big in meat and flavor.  I loved the jagged edges of meat, also with some good crusty chews, they reminded me very much of the ribs I ate at McClard's in Arkansas last year, which is certainly high praise.

The original plan after leaving Phenix City was to visit Chuck's BBQ in Opelika, but I was too full after my visit to 13th Street.

13th Street Bar-B-Q
1310 7th Avenue
Phenix City, AL
334-291-1833

There are also locations in Ladonia and Columbus, GA.
post edited by buffetbuster - 2009/11/15 19:24:29
EatingTheRoad
Re:A few days in Alabama 2009/11/15 19:40:18 (permalink)
Excellent photos! I need to stop reading your posts after already having dinner...I find your reports to bring back an appetite no matter how full I was moments earlier....good thing there's no pie in these so far
Ahi Mpls.
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 923
Re:A few days in Alabama 2009/11/16 12:06:41 (permalink)
  Too easy!!  " Home of... "  = BB's lunch!  looks like they might have "pannini pressed"  the sandwich just a bit? and what's the story on the 2.00 PIE!?  
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
Re:A few days in Alabama 2009/11/16 13:12:50 (permalink)
I would probably never have ordered that without seeing a picture--the name really doesn't do it justice.  It should be the Giant Pork Slab Sandwich.  :)
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4306
Re:A few days in Alabama 2009/11/16 13:25:58 (permalink)
Nancypalooza

I would probably never have ordered that without seeing a picture--the name really doesn't do it justice.  It should be the Giant Pork Slab Sandwich.  :)

I envisioned something entirely different.  That looks like a thick slice from a bbq pork roast (and it looks good).

lckt13
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 31
Re:A few days in Alabama 2009/11/16 15:52:47 (permalink)
The best food in Alabama is in Atlanta!  sorry sorry excuse for a State period and I am from Opp and graduated from Auburn. the Dew Drop Inn in Mobile is sufficient if on survival mode. Head to New Orleans, Atlanta, Charleston or Savannah if hungry.

Alabama = NO food!  Even Whole Foods held off this long before surrendering to Birmingham denizens who moved there from out of state and needed a good grocer. Not one Trader Joes in the entire state. That says it all.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:A few days in Alabama 2009/11/16 16:02:48 (permalink)
Unfortunately, not all of my bbq meals were good.  On Saturday, I walked into the Birmingham location of Dreamland BBQ

just as they were opening at 10:00AM.  There were already some LSU fans inside getting an order of ribs to go.  When the waiter walked over to seat me, the first thing he asked me was "Auburn or Alabama?  Or LSU?"  I said, "Well, I'm from Pittsburgh, so how about Pitt?"  He made a face, declared me an impartial observer and sat me at a table.  He did tell me he was from Kenya and was a big Auburn fan.  Funny how quickly people get drawn into the rivalry once they move here.

You are not given a menu, you jut order off of the menu board on the wall.

Even before I ordered my food, I was brought a plate with a healthy sized bowl of the bbq sauce and some white bread for dipping. 

The bread was on the stale side, but I sure do enjoy Dreamland's lip tingling sauce.  To drink, I went with the sweet tea,

which was shockingly weak.  This was easily the worst sweet tea I had on my trip. 

Of course, here at Dreamland, the thing to order is the ribs, so I got a half slab.

From this pic, the ribs look pretty good.  But despite how big these were, there was not much meat.  There were lots of crusty inedible parts.  The beans,

full of that delicious sauce were the highlight of the meal here.

The inside of Dreamland BBQ was interesting and fun.  The interior is on the dark side,

with lots of wooden booths, college football decorations and a long, popular bar.  They do have a pit out in the open,

where you can watch the pitmaster work.  And like the Mobile location, they have this classy sign. 

post edited by buffetbuster - 2009/11/16 16:10:32
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:A few days in Alabama 2009/11/16 16:14:04 (permalink)
lckt13

The best food in Alabama is in Atlanta!  sorry sorry excuse for a State period and I am from Opp and graduated from Auburn. the Dew Drop Inn in Mobile is sufficient if on survival mode. Head to New Orleans, Atlanta, Charleston or Savannah if hungry.

Alabama = NO food!
I could not disagree with you more!  There is lots of great food in Alabama and this trip report is at least partial proof.  What is funny is the one place you cite, the Dew Drop Inn in Mobile, I don't think is very good.

NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3151
Re:A few days in Alabama 2009/11/16 17:47:13 (permalink)
lckt13

Alabama = NO food!  Even Whole Foods held off this long before surrendering to Birmingham denizens who moved there from out of state and needed a good grocer. Not one Trader Joes in the entire state. That says it all.
I lived in AL for 7 plus years and really enjoyed the food, especially fried okra and ribs and BBQ pork and all the great side dishes.  Also loved the country ham and the friendly folks.

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 2 of 5
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1