Hot!Alabama Getaway

Page: < 12345 Showing page 5 of 5
Author
Davwud
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 531
Re:A few days in Alabama 2014/04/23 12:13:08 (permalink)
Davidsanders

I don't really know yet, it's at least 6-8 months away. I thought I would hit some of the spots in Birmingham and Mobile, and move on over to New Orleans. But we'll see.

Davwud

Davidsanders

Cliff, I've been reading your report and taking notes in preparation for a trip to Alabama next year. It appears that Pete's has closed. Sorry I won't have a chance to give it a try.

Although, now I'm finding Gus's hot dogs and I wonder if they reopened. I think Gus who owned Pete's died, but maybe someone reopened if with his name?

To where in Al are you headed??

Don't have a lot of rec's for either but Green Acres Cafe in Birmingham is pretty special.
Here's a report from my visit.
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3766
Re:A few days in Alabama 2014/05/05 12:52:50 (permalink)
Add me to the list of people heading to Birmingham in the near future. I just purchased tickets to the SEC Baseball Tournament coming up in a few weeks in Hoover.

From this report, I have identified a few must stops (unless I completely misread):

Bogue's
Bob Syke's BBQ
Niki's West (but, not for breakfast)
Full Moon BBQ

I also have a few "I will try to make it work" stops, unless I need to be convinced that they should be moved to the "must" pile:

Baby Ray's BBQ
Bright Star
Durbin Farm Market (on the way home, probably)

That leaves me with a few questions. (1) Is Dreamland still worth a stop? Is it worth driving to Tuscaloosa, instead? I liked Dreamland when I visited in Mobile a few years back. No, I didn't think it was as good as Brick Pit, but I liked it, nonetheless.

(2) Have you (or anyone else, really)  been to Saw's BBQ? I tried to do a search, and, unfortunately, these search terms do not yield useful results.

(3) Do I understand correctly that Isaiah's in Montgomery is now closed? If so, have you tried Martin's in Montgomery? They came up on the 100 Things to Eat Before You Die list for Alabama...and I do love me some fried chicken. I expect to pass through Montgomery on my way home.

(4) Speaking of routing, I will be driving home and also would like to stop at Durbin Farm Market. Is there a reason you chose them over their neighbors/competitors across the street, Peach Park?

(5) Have you been to Bates Turkey Farm in Greenville? They look like they have the once-in-a-blue-moon turkey-themed restaurant, and I can happily eat a random Thanksgiving meal at the end of May.

(6) Lastly, it appears as though I will be flying into Atlanta and driving to Birmingham. I could absolutely convince myself that I need to go to Mary Mac's, which I love. The road from ATL-BHM looks like a pretty empty highway. Do you know of any gems along the way that may not be on my radar?

Any help is, as always, greatly appreciated.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10496
Re:A few days in Alabama 2014/05/05 13:05:48 (permalink)
TTM-
* Isaiah's is 100% closed.  Very disappointing, because you would have loved the place.  But if you are driving through Montgomery, try Martin's for their fried chicken.  Hamburger King is another worthy stop.

* Never been there, but everyone including WJ raves about Miss Myra's in Birmingham.  I've had the banana pudding and it was outstanding!

* The Baby Ray's BBQ I visited in this report has been torn down, but there might be others elsewhere in the city.

* It has been too many years since my last visit to Dreamland in Tuscaloosa to give you a worthwhile opinion, but I am a much bigger fan of Archibald's in nearby Northport.
post edited by buffetbuster - 2014/05/05 13:07:10
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10496
Re:A few days in Alabama 2014/05/05 13:08:41 (permalink)
Oh, and if you don't mind taking a bit of a detour, you may want to check out Pie Lab in Greensboro.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7956
Re:A few days in Alabama 2014/05/05 13:48:15 (permalink)
buffetbuster

TTM-
* Never been there, but everyone including WJ raves about Miss Myra's in Birmingham.  I've had the banana pudding and it was outstanding!

TTM never takes my suggestions serious anyway    ...however after I recommended Miss Myra's, it got the Ayersian stamp of approval on their recent trip
Their specialty is the BBQ chicken with alabama white bbq sauce. Their beans and deviled eggs are really good too. Besides the banana pudding which is otherworldly, Sandra still talks about the lemon ice box pie.
post edited by wanderingjew - 2014/05/05 13:51:06
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3766
Re:A few days in Alabama 2014/05/05 14:40:50 (permalink)
I am all about keeping an open mind, but I can't see myself liking a mayonnaise-based barbecue sauce under almost any circumstances.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7956
Re:A few days in Alabama 2014/05/05 14:53:37 (permalink)
The Travelin Man

I am all about keeping an open mind, but I can't see myself liking a mayonnaise-based barbecue sauce under almost any circumstances.

luckily nothing is pre sauced. The chicken itself  is nicely smoked.  I'm almost certain they have several other sauce options too, although I didn't try any
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10358
Re:A few days in Alabama 2014/05/05 17:13:50 (permalink)
TTM-
Haven't been there in years but Bates Turkey Farm Restaurant is nice but nothing exceptional.
Just an average meal.
I would not make a special effort to go there.
Same turkey, dressing, mashed potato meal you could get most anywhere.
The advantage is it's right off I-65 and quick to get on & off the Interstate.
http://www.batesturkey.com/restaurant.aspx
Page: < 12345 Showing page 5 of 5
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1