Alaskan Tacos??

Author
luvitspicy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
2004/03/18 16:31:15 (permalink)

Alaskan Tacos??

Has anyone ever heard of an Alaskan taco?? A taco stand just opened next door to my office, "MEMA's Alaskan Tacos." I tried to look them up online but to no avail. I think I'll be adventurous and test them out.

25 Replies Related Threads

lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6767
    RE: Alaskan Tacos?? 2004/03/18 16:45:19 (permalink)
    They do make halibut tacos and cod tacos up here in Alaska. That's the only thing I can think of.....substituting the meat for fish.
    Hopefully there's no whale blubber involved.
    luvitspicy
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: Alaskan Tacos?? 2004/03/18 16:56:51 (permalink)
    Or baby seals for that matter. Are Alaskan tacos any good up there??
    Richard Brooks Alba
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 93
    RE: Alaskan Tacos?? 2004/03/20 17:52:11 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by luvitspicy

Has anyone ever heard of an Alaskan taco?? A taco stand just opened next door to my office, "MEMA's Alaskan Tacos." I tried to look them up online but to no avail. I think I'll be adventurous and test them out.

I might've imagined some sort of oversized number - you know, bigger than your head - filled with with roast bear or caribou or even king crab.... Good luck sampling MEMA's.
    Buen provecho,
    Richard
    Berkeley/SF, CA
    marberthenad
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 509
    RE: Alaskan Tacos?? 2004/03/20 20:26:36 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Richard Brooks Alba

quote:
    Originally posted by luvitspicy

I might've imagined some sort of oversized number - you know, bigger than your head - filled with with roast bear or caribou or even king crab.... Good luck sampling MEMA's.
    Buen provecho,
    Richard
    Berkeley/SF, CA

Richard

Sounds like you have been by that burrito shop in downtown San Jose, CA that advertises "Burritos -- bigger than your head" -- I think it's called Iguana's. Or maybe just that moniker is a common way of differentiating burrito size ... anyway Iguana's made great breakfast burritos. In fact, dunno if others would agree, but Tacquerias in San Jose were just great .....
    Poverty Pete
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2296
    RE: Alaskan Tacos?? 2004/03/20 21:04:40 (permalink)
    For those of you who haven't had the pleasure of whale blubber, it's like Crisco flavored chewing gum.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: Alaskan Tacos?? 2004/03/21 03:15:21 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Poverty Pete

For those of you who haven't had the pleasure of whale blubber, it's like Crisco flavored chewing gum.

Actually, it's WORSE than that! I shudder just thinking of that one taste that I had.....BLEEECCCHHHH!
    vainangel
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Alaskan Tacos?? 2004/06/23 19:46:59 (permalink)
    I walk by this office almost everyday...I have stars on my arms. There is a blonde in the office. Is this her?

The owners Grandmother started this. Mexican in concept but Alaskan all the way. Cannot give his secrets up!

I will make sure there is a website up for him soon.
    It is even become a hang out for local's...silly you say? I think not.

feel free to email me if you want communication from Memas Alaskan Tacos.
    Rayme
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 106
    RE: Alaskan Tacos?? 2004/06/23 19:59:33 (permalink)
    Hey lleechef, this is a little bit off the subject but what do you recommend roadfood wise up in Alaska. Before I went there last September I posted a question regarding where to go but had no replies. I guess that fried fish place on the spit in Homer qualifies but where do you recommend? I'll be in Alaska for a few days this September before going to Kamchatka and would welcome any suggestions. I would think an Alaskan taco is fried halibut.

Thanks
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: Alaskan Tacos?? 2004/06/29 04:33:15 (permalink)
    Rayme, I know of lots of great roadfood places in Alaska as we have been on every road system in the state. Here's a good example: http://www.tustumenalodge.com/ You can dipnet salmon at the Kasilof river then go for the $10 New York steak special (18 oz. of steak) with all the fixins.......that's roadfood for sure!
    Let me know what area of Alaska you'll be in and I can advise.
    memasalaskantacos
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Alaskan Tacos?? 2004/07/11 17:06:42 (permalink)
    Hello!

My name is Sean and I am the proprietor of Mema's Alaskan Tacos. This unique Southwestern style of cooking tacos was taught to my grandmother and perfected in Alaska. As I have been cooking and enjoying these tacos all my life, I decided that it would be the perfect food to share with Tampa.

We offer five wonderful tacos, each made with top grade ingredients. The beef is made with 85% lean ground chuck. We use boneless chicken breast for our chicken tacos. We buy our grouper filets and fresh gulf shrimp from local suppliers for use in our seafood tacos. FOr you vegans out there, we have a veggie taco that satisfies as well as any meat taco.

In addition to the perfect tacos, we also offer several items that highlight our refried black beans. Rich and creamy with a pound of vegetables for every pound of beans, these refried beans take a minimum of 6 hours to prepare and are well worth every minute. We offer the beans in our refried black bean burrito, on our nachos, as a side or as the bang in one of our local favorites, the Al-askan. One of our most dedicated employees (kudos, Albert) created this taco slant. Take one fully dressed taco of your choice and wrap a small flour tortilla with a dollop of refried black beans spread on it and voila, you have the best double decker taco in Tampa.

Every week brings new customers and many returning customers that adore our tacos so if you get the chance, stop by and try one for yourself. You won't be dissappointed.

See you soon!

Sean Godin
    President, Mema's Alaskan Tacos
    TacoEater
    Junior Burger
    RE: Alaskan Tacos?? 2004/07/19 21:10:02 (permalink)
    I can 100% say that these tacos are THE BEST! I, too, have been eating them all my life. You have to stop by Mema's if you're in Tampa/Ybor City and try an original Alaskan taco. They're not like any taco you've had before - Mema's secret recipe, originating in Alaska and passed down through generations.

Enjoy!

Shellie Harnetty,
    Sister of Sean Godin - President of Mema's Alaskan Taco's
    vainangel
    Junior Burger
    RE: Alaskan Tacos?? 2004/12/07 15:16:13 (permalink)
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Alaskan Tacos?? 2004/12/08 05:36:10 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by lleechef

quote:

Actually, it's WORSE than that! I shudder just thinking of that one taste that I had.....BLEEECCCHHHH!

I'm curious now on how many ounces of courage you drank to even try this! I had my mind made up in elementary school to never attempt this taste test...
    vainangel
    Junior Burger
    RE: Alaskan Tacos?? 2004/12/09 12:40:38 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by UncleVic

quote:

quote:

I'm curious now on how many ounces of courage you drank to even try this! I had my mind made up in elementary school to never attempt this taste test...

you should go try one....
    cary
    Junior Burger
    RE: Alaskan Tacos?? 2006/12/13 15:35:49 (permalink)
    YUCK. I just tried Mema's Alakan Tacos in Tampa. What a letdown. Seriously. Don't bother. You may as well go to Taco Bell.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15244
    RE: Alaskan Tacos?? 2006/12/13 15:46:27 (permalink)
    I guess the change in locations for MEMA'S ALASKAN TACOS caused a downturn in Quality !!

BTW Some of you old-timers in the North-Shore/Cape Ann area, Do you remember when Yokem's on Rt.1 at the 114 interchange (Danvers? or Peabody?) Had whale meat on the menu and bragged about it on the big sign out front?
    Poverty Pete
    • Total Posts : 2296
    RE: Alaskan Tacos?? 2006/12/13 18:20:34 (permalink)
    I've had whale blubber sushi...won't have it again.
    tamandmik
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 949
    RE: Alaskan Tacos?? 2006/12/13 18:26:55 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by UncleVic

quote:

quote:

I'd just assume attempt to eat a fileted panda.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13481
    RE: Alaskan Tacos?? 2006/12/13 18:31:41 (permalink)
    quote:

I've had whale blubber sushi...won't have it again.

I think I recall Lleechef indicating that the airlines did not like you taking whale blubber on the plane due to the odor.

It certainly did not sound very appetizing to me.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    mikeysguns
    Junior Burger
    RE: Alaskan Tacos?? 2007/02/22 15:36:47 (permalink)
    I just ate at Memas today and work not far from the place and have to say they are the greatest tacos anywhere that I have tasted and look forward to going again really soon........

Thanks for the great food...

Mike.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Alaskan Tacos?? 2007/02/22 16:28:58 (permalink)
    I had a Alaskan Taco in Point Barrow several years ago. I thought it was extremely unusual to find a Mexican restaurant at the top of the world.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    outolunch
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 34
    RE: Alaskan Tacos?? 2007/02/22 17:16:02 (permalink)
    I'm very new here myself, but if you'll excuse the pun, there is something very fishy about some of the postings in this thread. Have you noticed that four very new posters ("tacoeater," "vainangel," mikeysgun," and of course "memalaskantaco") all seem to have joined roadfood to say how great these tacos are. As far as I can see this is advertising, not discussion. Let's see if these one post posters stick around to discuss other topics. I doubt it.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: Alaskan Tacos?? 2007/02/23 01:33:40 (permalink)
    Sundancer, you are very BRAVE indeed, just to go to Barrow! There are no Alaskan Taco joints in Prudhoe, so my top of the world taco was probably at Coldfood, 200 miles from the Arctic Ocean. It was OK.

That Mexican restaurant in Barrow is as unusual as the one in Nome....
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Alaskan Tacos?? 2007/02/23 15:51:52 (permalink)
    I have never been to Nome but I got a picture of the Mexican restuarant in Point Barrow. I had to have a taco.

I will never forget Point Barrow. I past several of the homes there with deep freezers out side and not plugged up. Many folks drove four wheelers. That blew my brains as I could not imagine four wheeling in their environment. I saw folks walking on the Artic Ocean on August 11 spearing what I thought could have been seals. Regardless they were on the water.

Lisa, You have been there and done that.

Paul E. Smith
    knoxville, TN
    HollyDolly
    • Total Posts : 1069
    RE: Alaskan Tacos?? 2007/02/28 10:26:02 (permalink)
    We used to live on Elmendorf AFB back in 1967to1970 when my dad was at the Alaskan Air Command for Airforce intelligence.
    There was a hamburger stand in the area they called Government Hill in Anchorage that sold tacos as well.They were very good,just basic ground beef,but as a kid I loved them.
    Having lived in San Antonio off and on over the years,and now permanetly,to me a taco is a taco. You can only call it an Alaskan Taco if it has reindeer,Cariboo,moose, or seal meat in it as far as I'm concerned,other wise it's just an ordinary taco.
    Don't know about the mexican food in Alaska,but a great japanese restaurant to eat at in Anchorage is Nikko Gardens.We used to go eat there for birthdays in our family.Was well patronized by japanese business men.How my dad found out about the place,I don't know.Probably from some guy at work.Wonder if it is still in buisness after all these years.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1