The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Albany NY Hot Dog Shops

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 51
Matt Gleason

• Total Posts: 689
Albany NY Hot Dog Shops Sat, 04/21/07 7:13 AM (permalink)
Here is a list of some great hot dog joints located around Albany, New York:

Gus's Hot Dogs
Hot Dog Charlies
Famous Lunch
Troy Pork Store
Helmbold's Store

If you are interested, read the thread and feel free to chime in or contact me via email.

Benzee

• Total Posts: 1872
    RE: Albany NY Hot Dog Shops Sat, 04/21/07 10:21 AM (permalink)
    Hot Dog King ,

Too bad you could not join us on the HV Hot Dog Tour .
    We had a fab time .
    They will probably move this post to the Misc. Foods forum as they have with all tour or mini meet related posts .
    Kingston places were left out due to lack of time and distance from other stops .
    I'm up for a Albany area get together depending on dates .
    I do not know the area so if you want to come up with an itinerary and such lets see what we can do .
    We may have to have a mini meet at Coney Island or Worlds Best to discuss this though Hahahaha

Benzee

seafarer john

RE: Albany NY Hot Dog Shops Sat, 04/21/07 12:05 PM (permalink)
      We're in, depending on date and itinerary. Maybe we could start in Kingston and drive on to Albany to recover our appetites. or catch Kingston on the way home?

cheers, John

Matt Gleason

RE: Albany NY Hot Dog Shops Sat, 04/21/07 6:28 PM (permalink)
        I will put together some dates.

Gus's Hot dogs is a small place, smaller than Pete's hot dogs in Newburgh, NY. Most of the business is done at the walk-up window. There are some picnic tables outside and a few stools inside.
        Hot Dog Charlies is up the road a mile or so and is about the same size as a Dallas Weiners but not as large as the Coney Island in Middletown, NY.
        I have not been to Famous Lunch however they are a few streets over from Gus's.

The last time I was there all three served 3-1/2" n/c hot dogs from Troy Pork Store. They all serve a Coney or Michigan style dog which is basicaly a n/c dog, yellow mustard, white onions and meat sauce. Each place has their own recipe, unlike any of the others.

Greyghost

• Total Posts: 1336
          RE: Albany NY Hot Dog Shops Sat, 04/21/07 7:40 PM (permalink)
          Hot Dog King,

You can count me in on the idea, but as far as I know the Albany area has only a few hot dog places of note.
          The ones you suggested are about it. If restricted to this area I suggest a tour of some of the hot dog plants in the area such as Helmbolds in Troy. Then there is White Eagle in Schenectady another good producer.

For a really good tour, I think you have to go west at least to Rochester, where Zweigles reigns supreme. Sometimes I wonder if the NYC area crowd has ever heard of, let alone had a natural casing white hot.

It is really something to get your butt beyond the Hudson River for, but most people do not know this.

Anyway, keep planing, keep everyone informed. It is a great idea.

seafarer john

RE: Albany NY Hot Dog Shops Sat, 04/21/07 9:32 PM (permalink)
            We love Rochester, and we love Zwiegles, and we'd love another garbage plate, but, Albany to Rochester in the same day is just too damn much for us old folks.

Cheers, John

Matt Gleason

RE: Albany NY Hot Dog Shops Sun, 04/22/07 5:50 AM (permalink)
              A Rochester area tour sounds great but would have to be a special trip involving a bus and possibly a hotel stay. The Thruway would be the fastest route but there are quite a number of places spread along and around rte 17.

The Kingston/ Albany tour will include Dallas Weiners and Licker's Texas Weiners.

ConeyIslandLou

• Total Posts: 737
                RE: Albany NY Hot Dog Shops Sun, 04/22/07 8:20 AM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by Hot Dog King

A Rochester area tour sounds great but would have to be a special trip involving a bus and possibly a hotel stay. The Thruway would be the fastest route but there are quite a number of places spread along and around rte 17.

The Kingston/ Albany tour will include Dallas Weiners and Licker's Texas Weiners.

I sort of proposed a Western NY Weekend a long time ago - Buffalo HAS to be included, in only for Ted's of Tonawanda...

The Itinerary:
                ---Day One---

arrive Rochester

Nick Tahou's

Dogtown(a new place on Monroe Ave- my
                bro-in-law says its fantastic! -
                http://www.dogtownhots.com

LDR Char Pit (hots AND the best steak sandwich
                anywhere!)

If it is summertime, a trip to see the Rochester Red Wings - Frontier Field has some of the best ballpark food around - charcoaled hots, and a good chance to try Osiris beef - all washed down with Genny Cream Ale or Beer (who is driving??)!

----Day Two----

Breakfast: Charlie Brown's- great local hang out with
                the best breakfast in town!

a stop at the George Eastman House

Buffalo -
                Ted's

someplace for beef and weck

Bill Grays-great local fast food chain

on the way back, a stop someplace in Syracuse for
                Hoffman's

and this is only what I can think of off hand!

my sister works for the Landmark Society of Western New York, and can help serve as a guide! she knows EVERYthing about local Rochester history...not to mention having contacts in all the local hotels/motels...

Kingston/Albany/Troy could be a day trip....

plenty of time to plan this so.....

[url][/url][url][/url][url][/url]

Benzee

RE: Albany NY Hot Dog Shops Sun, 04/22/07 10:03 AM (permalink)
                  Hey Lou ,
                  Great intinerary guy .
                  I would prefer the one day with Kingston and Albany for now though .
                  For anyone coming up from Jersey we could start out at Coney Island Rest. and work are way north .

Benzee

Greyghost

RE: Albany NY Hot Dog Shops Sun, 04/22/07 8:13 PM (permalink)
                    Maybe this thing could be done in a different way than in the past. Perhaps it could be a tour/celebration.
                    By this I mean local people could get together in their own region and have local tours, probably in their own vehicles. Short region hops could also be done with private vehicles with drivers willing to take on passengers and sharing the costs.

There could also be a grand tour from the east coast by bus that would meet at appointed places with the Roadfooders at particular hot spots. The bus would be for the more willing and wealthy Roadfooders that really want a grand tour with hotel stops in between.

The grand tour should be more than hot dogs though. I have suggested this before, but I think a great bus food tour would be from NYC to Buffalo, head south into Pennsylvania and return to NYC via Pennsylvania enjoying that cuisine as well.

The regional hops by private vehicle could also be easily arranged with ride sharing and such involved. It might be fun and probably the best Roadfood tour ever. What are your thoughts on this?

markintoga

• Total Posts: 30
                      RE: Albany NY Hot Dog Shops Mon, 04/23/07 9:46 AM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      ConeyIslandLou wrote. "If it is summertime, a trip to see the Rochester Red Wings - Frontier Field has some of the best ballpark food around - charcoaled hots, and a good chance to try Osiris beef all washed down with Genny Cream Ale or Beer (who is driving??)!"

Out of curiosity could you possibly mean "Red Osier Beef"?

ConeyIslandLou

RE: Albany NY Hot Dog Shops Mon, 04/23/07 12:35 PM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by markintoga

quote:
                        ConeyIslandLou wrote. "If it is summertime, a trip to see the Rochester Red Wings - Frontier Field has some of the best ballpark food around - charcoaled hots, and a good chance to try Osiris beef all washed down with Genny Cream Ale or Beer (who is driving??)!"

Out of curiosity could you possibly mean "Red Osier Beef"?

yeah..Ive had a NASTY cold...even misnamed Dogtown as Superdawg....

Benzee

RE: Albany NY Hot Dog Shops Mon, 04/23/07 4:22 PM (permalink)
                          Hello all ,

Our recent Hudson Valley Tour had friends meet at different locations and some took the entire trip .
                          Intinerary was set with cell phones available to coordinate ETA's.
                          We can look at motorcoach or a van service . I know a coworker who is in the van service field who would take us from Jersey / Hudson Valley up to Albany area and back . One day deal .
                          For an overnighter with motorcoach you are probably talking $1200 to 15oo minimum for the bus . Will check it out .

Benzee

waltpiii

RE: Albany NY Hot Dog Shops Mon, 04/23/07 8:47 PM (permalink)
                            While this is a little off topic, I would suggest considering three additional stops.

Ted's Fish Fry and Jacks Hamburgers

Jacks is written up on this link
                            http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=581441&category=RENSSELAER&BCCode=&newsdate=4/22/2007

Another idea is the New Way Lunch in Glensfalls. While it is 50 miles from Albany it is an easy drive up the Northway I87.

Depending on the date. I will try to make it to the tour.

Walt

waltpiii

Matt Gleason

RE: Albany NY Hot Dog Shops Tue, 04/24/07 12:26 PM (permalink)
                              Benzee, Lou,
                              If you want to meet at the Coney Island to discuss, let me know.

HDK

Benzee

RE: Albany NY Hot Dog Shops Sun, 04/29/07 7:03 PM (permalink)
                                HD king and Lou ,

Next few weekends are tied up , late afternoon would be good during week one day . Never want to pass up a chance for a dog at Coney Island Restaurant

Benzee

edwmax

• Total Posts: 2012
                                  RE: Albany NY Hot Dog Shops Sun, 04/29/07 7:23 PM (permalink)
                                  Is this Albany, Georgia? HOT DOG!

Greyghost

RE: Albany NY Hot Dog Shops Sun, 04/29/07 8:16 PM (permalink)
                                    It has been so long since I have been in downtown Albany, I completely forgot about Albany's hot dog hot spot. When this tour takes place, the Capitol building will be ringed by street hot dog and other vendors.

Thousands of State workers come out for lunch every day and patronize these vendors. It is really something to see and enjoy.

You can enjoy your dog in the park or walk around the Capitol building pondering its 19th century architecture and expertly crafted friezes. Bring a camera. A short walk across the street brings you to the Empire State Plaza where you can see some of the most expensive, if not the best outdoor sculpture from the 20th century.

Believe me, you will probably get a decent if not unique dog, but you will get a unique experience to enjoy it in. That's for sure.

John A

• Total Posts: 4295
                                      RE: Albany NY Hot Dog Shops Mon, 04/30/07 8:29 AM (permalink)
                                      quote:
                                      Originally posted by edwmax

Is this Albany, Georgia? HOT DOG!

You have a couple of good hot dog places in Albany, GA, plus Parkers BBQ in Sylvester.

John

Matt Gleason

RE: Albany NY Hot Dog Shops Mon, 04/30/07 12:33 PM (permalink)
                                        Albany, New York.

Benzee,
                                        Later in the afternoon is fine.

Gus's Hot Dog Stand is in Watervliet, NY. The one Hot Dog Charlies I visited is in Cohoes, NY, right up the road from Gus's. Famous Lunch is in Troy. All are easily accessible from I-787.
                                        A visit to the Capitol sounds interesting although we will need a guide!! HINT

il davis

• Total Posts: 21
                                          RE: Albany NY Hot Dog Shops Mon, 04/30/07 1:17 PM (permalink)
                                          You must not forget Syracuse where Hoffmann's and Liehs & Stiegerwald
                                          hot dogs have been rated by many, including chef/author/restauranteur David Rosengarten has rated them as some of the very best in America. Hoffmann's has their own restuarants in Syracuse and L&H can be bought at their retails meat market.
                                          IL Davis

edwmax

RE: Albany NY Hot Dog Shops Wed, 05/2/07 8:00 PM (permalink)
                                            John,

We have a really good BBQ south of town on US319 just North of the Fla. State line, JB’s. In the past both the Governors for Fla and AL have flown in on their helicopters and landed in the parking lot just to eat there. It’s not unusual to to see Fla Hyw Patrol or Al Troopers (they have to drive almost 100 miles) in the parking lot. It’s been a while since I’ve been there, but their Hot Dogs are not bad and they have a realllly gooood porkchop sanmich.

Benzee

RE: Albany NY Hot Dog Shops Thu, 05/3/07 3:34 PM (permalink)
                                              Hello all ,

We are not talking about Albany GA !!
                                              Albany , New York Hot Dog Tour is on this thread .

Benzee

edwmax

RE: Albany NY Hot Dog Shops Thu, 05/3/07 7:53 PM (permalink)
                                                Well, why didn't you say so to begin with.

Albany is Albany, Georgia to me as apposed to the other 26 cities in the US named Albany or the two cities in Canada named Albany.

Darn...
                                                John, I think we just got kicked off this thread. We're not Albany enought.

seafarer john

RE: Albany NY Hot Dog Shops Thu, 05/3/07 9:37 PM (permalink)
                                                  Hey, stick around guys. You never know when you might find yourselves in Albany, NY and be glad you knew where to find a good hot dog.

Cheers, John

wickedgoodhotdogs

• Total Posts: 27
                                                    RE: Albany NY Hot Dog Shops Thu, 05/3/07 9:51 PM (permalink)
                                                    I'm hoping you guys do the Albany tour in the early fall season since the summer is when alot of us venders work the weekend. Looks like the tour you took recently was a good time and would like to travel over to that region for the weekend. Have a great night.

WICKED

ConeyIslandLou

• Location: Middletown, NY
                                                      RE: Albany NY Hot Dog Shops Thu, 05/3/07 10:01 PM (permalink)
                                                      quote:
                                                      Originally posted by wickedgoodhotdogs

I'm hoping you guys do the Albany tour in the early fall season since the summer is when alot of us venders work the weekend. Looks like the tour you took recently was a good time and would like to travel over to that region for the weekend. Have a great night.

WICKED

you (and anybody else) are always welcome....

biker jim

• Total Posts: 403
                                                        RE: Albany NY Hot Dog Shops Sat, 05/5/07 3:10 PM (permalink)
                                                        Man, no fair. You guys all live on the east coast...there just tain't enough good hot dog joints in Colorado to do a gagger run. Now a rocky mountain oyster safari! Uh, maybe not. Enjoy guys, when I get some time I'm going to organize a group of bikers to do a gagger stampede from Denver to Chicago. Gotta be a few places in between with good wienies to check out. Alright then...have fun and I am jealous.

MiamiDon

RE: Albany NY Hot Dog Shops Wed, 07/2/08 8:09 AM (permalink)
                                                          So, you guys never went? If it works out this year, take plenty of pix!

Benzee

• Location: Bullville , NY
                                                            RE: Albany NY Hot Dog Shops Wed, 07/2/08 5:50 PM (permalink)
                                                            Hello all ,

Well we ended up doing a Hudson Valley Hot Dog Tour last year with Coney Island Rest. , Petes , Texus Lunch and others .
                                                            This tour further north would be good for a try .
                                                            Hot Dog King you are in charge of the intinerary .
                                                            We just need to pick a date .
                                                            What do you all think ?

Benzee

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 51

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com