Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
laststandchili
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 177
2006/06/13 14:24:08 (permalink)

Alert: KFC Fried Foods Unhealthy!!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13295802/

I can't remember the last time I went to KFC, but I don't believe that serving fried food to the public is reasonable grounds for legal action.

Come to think of it my local grocery store sells, lard, butter, bacon, and all kind of snack foods that are probably not good for you. I'm calling my lawyer.

Vayo con Queso

43 Replies Related Threads

Ashphalt
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1644
    RE: Alert: KFC Fried Foods Unhealthy!! 2006/06/13 14:41:19 (permalink)
    Don't forget that the gasoline they sell to put in your car is carcinogenic. Lot's of people to sue, here.
    AndreaB
    • Total Posts : 1303
    RE: Alert: KFC Fried Foods Unhealthy!! 2006/06/13 16:36:25 (permalink)
    This sounds like just another ridiculous lawsuit. How many people with even half a brain in their head don't know that deep fried food is not healthy, and not something to partake of on a daily basis? What about sugar? What about buffets? What about all that candy grocery stores have up front to tempt you as you wait in line?
    RI-DIC-U-LOUS!
    I suppose if I piled my plate high at a buffet daily for a month and then complained that I gained 10 pounds it would be the buffet's fault? I am sick of these food lawsuits

Andrea
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Alert: KFC Fried Foods Unhealthy!! 2006/06/13 18:36:33 (permalink)
    Maybe one day we will learn something we already dont know, and then it would be a valid lawsuit.
    I get so tired of these frivolous claims.
    Do people actually think they have a snowballs chance in hell to win them?
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5550
    RE: Alert: KFC Fried Foods Unhealthy!! 2006/06/13 18:54:08 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by roossy90

Maybe one day we will learn something we already dont know, and then it would be a valid lawsuit.

the reason the lawsuits are made, is because people have indeed won frivolous lawsuits.

roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: Alert: KFC Fried Foods Unhealthy!! 2006/06/13 18:57:30 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Scorereader

quote:

the reason the lawsuits are made, is because people have indeed won frivolous lawsuits.

Do they really win them, or just do the defendant's settle out of court just to avoid a hassle?
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5550
    RE: Alert: KFC Fried Foods Unhealthy!! 2006/06/13 19:00:06 (permalink)
    what's the difference? either way, it paves the path for other lawsuits.

roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: Alert: KFC Fried Foods Unhealthy!! 2006/06/13 19:08:14 (permalink)
    quote:

Unfortunately, this is so, so true. We live in a world of frivolous lawsuits. It still amazes me what people sue for.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5065
    RE: Alert: KFC Fried Foods Unhealthy!! 2006/06/13 21:34:19 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

Unfortunately, this is so, so true. We live in a world of frivolous lawsuits. It still amazes me what people sue for.

But what if they won... What would happen then? I say go for the gusto, plaintiffs.
    renfrew
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 696
    RE: Alert: KFC Fried Foods Unhealthy!! 2006/06/14 08:37:45 (permalink)
    I see this differently. Yes, frivolus lawsuits are bad in a general way. Unfortunately, they are also a tool that can be used. Do you think the plaintiffs actually care if they win? Whatever the official verdict, they have already won. The media is reporting on it, people are becoming aware and the pressure on the parent company to go healthier (YUM Brands) is now much stronger.

I dont think anyone honestly thinks that fried food is a healthier choice than say fresh veggies and brown rice. However, there are levels of healthiness in fried food. I would prefer to eat a piece of fried chicken that is trans-fat free than one that has an abundance of trans-fat. I am sure the plaintiffs did not just decide to sue KFC one day. This was probably an option after the normal lobbying efforts (phone calls, letter writing, etc) failed to convince KFC to change their cooking oil in favor of one that was more healthful.

So many fast food chains have vowed to cut their trans-fat usage. Seems that KFC was one of the holdouts and this lawsuit will make them change theirr minds, even if they officially "win" the case.
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    RE: Alert: KFC Fried Foods Unhealthy!! 2006/06/14 09:59:59 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by renfrew

I see this differently. Yes, frivolus lawsuits are bad in a general way. Unfortunately, they are also a tool that can be used. Do you think the plaintiffs actually care if they win? Whatever the official verdict, they have already won. The media is reporting on it, people are becoming aware and the pressure on the parent company to go healthier (YUM Brands) is now much stronger.

I dont think anyone honestly thinks that fried food is a healthier choice than say fresh veggies and brown rice. However, there are levels of healthiness in fried food. I would prefer to eat a piece of fried chicken that is trans-fat free than one that has an abundance of trans-fat. I am sure the plaintiffs did not just decide to sue KFC one day. This was probably an option after the normal lobbying efforts (phone calls, letter writing, etc) failed to convince KFC to change their cooking oil in favor of one that was more healthful.

So many fast food chains have vowed to cut their trans-fat usage. Seems that KFC was one of the holdouts and this lawsuit will make them change theirr minds, even if they officially "win" the case.

You make good points, but why do people feel they have the right to enforce their will on others in this manner? If I don't like the product a company produces, I don't buy. A lawsuit to force a company to alter the way they run THEIR business, when they are doing nothing illegal, seems offensive to me.

The real problem here is people with bad eating habits, but that isn't something so easily solved. It is a lot easier to paint the target with a familiar face (KFC), and slap EVIL on its forehead so we can all feel good that something is being done...when it isn't...other than some lawyers on both sides making a nice living!

p.s. I don't like KFC at all.
    renfrew
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Alert: KFC Fried Foods Unhealthy!! 2006/06/14 10:14:07 (permalink)
    While there may very well be an element of "will-forcing" going on here, there are some other forces at play.

I am thinking hypothetical here, so bear with me:

As a customer I want to eat at KFC, but I dont like the fact that they use cooking oil with transfat. So I request from the company that they switch, citing a number of health benefits in doing so which in turn leads to greater customer satisfaction. But they ignore me, not thinking that my need as a customer overrides their business model. So I organize some sort of group and lobby them. Still they ignore me. So I use a lawsuit to get them to see that a lot of cutomers really do want a healthier product from them. I get the media to run stories, I inform a whole slew of people that might not be totally aware and put greater pressure on the company to listen to its customers.

Personally, I dont view KFC as evil, I view them as lazy. Their chicken has tasted a particular way for a long time now and they sell a lot of it. Fried chicken itself is not a healthful product, but that does not stop people from eating it. So this nonsense about switching to a more healthful cooking oil is not really big enough to get them to change it as it probably would change the taste and they have to spend money to figure out a way to preserve that taste. That, coupled with the fact that they have not heard from customers in a large scale, organized fashion, means that the customer demand is not there. But a lawsuit, with articles on every major news outlet and now a barrage of phone calls to the company, now that is something to get KFC to take notice.

We are pretty passive as society in general. This lawsuit is doing the organizing work for us and bringing it to the forefront of our minds, even for a little while. KFC will change the formula, people will feel better, and we can all go back to being passive. Its not the best way, but it works.

The bad eating habits are definitely the real problems, but fixing those?! hey that is real work right there! And who wants to do that?

Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Alert: KFC Fried Foods Unhealthy!! 2006/06/14 10:40:37 (permalink)
    quote:

While there may very well be an element of "will-forcing" going on here, there are some other forces at play.

I guess I agree with the goal, but worry about the method of reaching that goal. (does that make any sense?)

On the one hand, a kid can sue and win a settlement from a school district because they force him to say the pledge of allegiance...they violated his civil rights. (It was in news a few days back) On the other hand, a company can be taken to task in court for the way they legally run their business. Where is their right to do business as they see fit?

I agree with you that they could and should do better and make a better, healthier product. It has been shown it can be done...I just worry about using force to get there. Perhaps this is the result of my (all) business being so over-regulated that it chokes the business owner...a topic for another day...perhaps when I have had less caffeine.
    Big Ugly Mich
    • Total Posts : 1302
    RE: Alert: KFC Fried Foods Unhealthy!! 2006/06/14 11:06:49 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by renfrewI dont think anyone honestly thinks that fried food is a healthier choice than say fresh veggies and brown rice. However, there are levels of healthiness in fried food. I would prefer to eat a piece of fried chicken that is trans-fat free than one that has an abundance of trans-fat. I am sure the plaintiffs did not just decide to sue KFC one day. This was probably an option after the normal lobbying efforts (phone calls, letter writing, etc) failed to convince KFC to change their cooking oil in favor of one that was more healthful.

So many fast food chains have vowed to cut their trans-fat usage. Seems that KFC was one of the holdouts and this lawsuit will make them change their minds, even if they officially "win" the case.

The reason KFC (and other chains, as well as roadfood worthy establishments) use hydrogenated oils is simple. They're cheaper than healthier alternatives for a variety of reasons:

They cost less to buy. Just go to any grocery store and see for yourselves.

They're solid. So? So tip over a can of Crisco. Big deal. Now tip over a bottle of canola oil.

They don't break down as quickly, so they can be reused more.

KFC, like any other business, is in it for profits. If you're concerned about the use of trans fats in fried food, go somewhere else or don't eat fried food. They'll lose profits and change thier ways, or they'll do what they choose and you'll happily eat somewhere else. I love this country when it works. Have you noticed that Subway still runs commercials with Jarod, that guy who lost a couple hundred pounds by eating Subway sandwiches (and EXERCISING)? Why not eat at Subway? I've eaten at Subway YEARS before anyone ever heard of Jarod because it's good food cheap, at least to me.

I see Wendy's is advertising healthier cooking coming soon, too. I used to eat at Wendy's salad bars because I could pig out for about $5 and get nourished in the bargain, but they had to take those down after they got sued by some idiot who was allegedly told that the Jell-o they offered was vegetarian. Any moron who can read a list of ingredients on a box of Jell-o knows that Jell-o is made with animal by-products!

Even if KFC doesn't change their ways, you've got choices. That implies taking responsibility for your own lives rather than surrendering your lives to Big Brother. Sounds like a plan to me!
    renfrew
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Alert: KFC Fried Foods Unhealthy!! 2006/06/14 11:09:48 (permalink)
    I see your points. Its a very dicey situation. Morality and legality are seperate in a lot of people's minds, and some dont believe that it should be that way. Personally I think a company should do the best it can for its customer's. They have a moral responsibility to do so, even if there is not a legal one. Thats just good business ethics, and that sometimes triumphs over the MOST profitable business practices. You can still be profitable and moral.

There is also some truth to the argument that if companies did a better job of adhering to a moral code and regulating themselves, forceful regulation would not have to occur. Two sides to that one I know....
    renfrew
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Alert: KFC Fried Foods Unhealthy!! 2006/06/14 11:18:03 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Big Ugly Mich

KFC, like any other business, is in it for profits.

I dont think anyone would disagree with you on this. But this argument is growing increasingly tired with its isolation and simplicity.

A business is made up of people. While legally, it might be considered an entity, it is really not. A whole bunch of people tied by a common philosophy direct it and make its decisions. Simply saying, I am in it for profit, therefore I am not responsible for any negative consequences as long as it makes me a buck, is not a legitimate argument.

You advocate for personal responsbility. I could not agree more. The people that run companies need to take responsibility for their actions as well. It starts with the consumer, it has to include the company in its cycle as well.

Legality is brought up a lot. KFC implements legal, if not moral, business practices. This lawsuit is also a legal tool to get them to change a legal business practice to a more moral legal business practice. Seems like fighting fire with fire. And that sounds like a plan to me!
    tmiles
    • Total Posts : 1976
    RE: Alert: KFC Fried Foods Unhealthy!! 2006/06/14 12:12:52 (permalink)
    ...and, just maybe,,,,, they gamble at Rick's
    Fieldthistle
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Alert: KFC Fried Foods Unhealthy!! 2006/06/14 12:15:37 (permalink)
    Hello All,
    I think lawsuits are extreme, especially since we go to places we know are
    known to be not the most healthy places according to the PC police. And most
    fast food places, we are told, are bad for us. For that matter, nowadays, about
    everything we consume is bad for us in some way. Even water can cause cancer
    with the way we have polluted the earth. And if you think bottled water doesn't
    have something in it that can hurt you, someone at sometime will produce a study
    that proves you wrong. It is bottled in a petroleum (spelling of petroleum, unsure)
    container.
    I've quit eating KFC simply because the greasiness of it coating and skin makes me feel ill.
    I literally feel ill after eating it. I miss it's flavour, but don't miss indigestion and
    burping from it's grease.
    Take Care,
    Fieldthistle
    roadrash
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 231
    RE: Alert: KFC Fried Foods Unhealthy!! 2006/06/14 12:41:46 (permalink)
    quote:
    Legality is brought up a lot. KFC implements legal, if not moral, business practices. This lawsuit is also a legal tool to get them to change a legal business practice to a more moral legal business practice. Seems like fighting fire with fire. And that sounds like a plan to me!
    Couldn't disagree more. First of all, the question of "morality" is totally irrelevant in civil litigation. The issue is whether a tort has been committed, and in this case, none has (unless you consider this frivolous lawsuit to be a tort, which I do).

Secondly, what this lawsuit is really about is about private entities attempting to illicitly assert control over other private, legally operating entities, and using the U.S. civil courts systems to do it. It's a grab, pure and simple, and anyone who thinks that CSPI and their hired counsel are after anything but power is, at least in my opinion, naive and short sighted.
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Alert: KFC Fried Foods Unhealthy!! 2006/06/14 12:49:38 (permalink)
    quote:

There is also some truth to the argument that if companies did a better job of adhering to a moral code and regulating themselves, forceful regulation would not have to occur.

This certainly would solve a lot of problems!
    Big Ugly Mich
    RE: Alert: KFC Fried Foods Unhealthy!! 2006/06/14 13:27:59 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by renfrewThis lawsuit is also a legal tool to get them to change a legal business practice to a more moral legal business practice. Seems like fighting fire with fire. And that sounds like a plan to me!

Seems like that's why I posted the big news about Wendy's closing its salad bars because of a lawsuit. Who benefited from that?

Just to head off the obvious, yes, I do believe that we should stop arresting people for using drugs, soliciting prostitutes, riding motorcycles without helmets, or other victimless crimes.
    Big Ugly Mich
    RE: Alert: KFC Fried Foods Unhealthy!! 2006/06/14 13:39:36 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by renfrewThis lawsuit is also a legal tool to get them to change a legal business practice to a more moral legal business practice. Seems like fighting fire with fire. And that sounds like a plan to me!

That's why I posted the big news about Wendy's closing its salad bars because of a lawsuit. Who benefited from that? Hint: It wasn't people who ate salads at Wendy's instead of greasy burgers and the like.

Just to head off the obvious, yes, I do believe that we should stop arresting people for using drugs, soliciting prostitutes, riding motorcycles without helmets, or other victimless crimes.

You want to include the company in any moral decisions? Convince enough of us to stop patronizing that company and it will go away. If you sue them frivolously, I'll patronize them more to counter the frivolity of the lawsuit, which benefits no one except the attorneys.
    renfrew
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Alert: KFC Fried Foods Unhealthy!! 2006/06/14 13:47:00 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by roadrash

Couldn't disagree more. First of all, the question of "morality" is totally irrelevant in civil litigation. The issue is whether a tort has been committed, and in this case, none has (unless you consider this frivolous lawsuit to be a tort, which I do).

The fact that morality is totally irrelevant in anything and is allowed to be is actually part of the source problem here, but thats another argument.

However, I never said that morality was being used here. Morality is not the tool, the legal process is. It is exactly because morality is irrelevant in civil litigation that makes civil litigation the tool to use. A morality argument proved fruitless, so a legal tool (i.e. civil litigation) now must be used.

quote:

Secondly, what this lawsuit is really about is about private entities attempting to illicitly assert control over other private, legally operating entities, and using the U.S. civil courts systems to do it. It's a grab, pure and simple, and anyone who thinks that CSPI and their hired counsel are after anything but power is, at least in my opinion, naive and short sighted.

So do you believe this is an immoral move? Becasue it is a legal move. Whether CSPI wins or not is irrelevant, they used a legal move to try to get what they want. Is the reason you are upset by what they are doing because you think it is immoral? Or illegal?
    renfrew
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Alert: KFC Fried Foods Unhealthy!! 2006/06/14 13:56:44 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Big Ugly Mich

That's why I posted the big news about Wendy's closing its salad bars because of a lawsuit. Who benefited from that? Hint: It wasn't people who ate salads at Wendy's instead of greasy burgers and the like.

You want to include the company in any moral decisions? Convince enough of us to stop patronizing that company and it will go away. If you sue them frivolously, I'll patronize them more to counter the frivolity of the lawsuit, which benefits no one except the attorneys.

Hey, its not a perfect strategy. And its not a blanket strategy. Thats not what I am saying at all. Gelatin is gelatin and while there are vegetarian sources, I would never think Wendy's would go the extra mile to procure it. obviously someone did and thats their problem.

However, Do we know that Wendy's choice to get rid of the salad bars was 100 percent due to stave off frivolous lawsuits? It is entirely possible that it was a money losing operation that they were looking to close down anyway and this gave them an out while allowing them to look like a victim who just wanted to do right by their customer's and got burned by it. Not saying that is true, but it would not be the first time a company's actions were spun this way.

You are right, that choice did not benefit the consumer. But we dont know for certain if that lawsuit was the whole story. It rarely is. Wendy's could have done something if they wanted to. They chose an easy way out, and we dont know the total story as to why.

As to you patronizing more, rather than less, thats your choice. Some people will feel that way, and others won't. this whole "only benefits the attorney" bit sounds a little like jealousy to me. Yes they make a lot of money, so do a lot of people.
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    RE: Alert: KFC Fried Foods Unhealthy!! 2006/06/14 14:25:33 (permalink)
    Sounds like someone needs to start a chain of healthy fried foods. Maybe it's time has come?
    Joe
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Alert: KFC Fried Foods Unhealthy!! 2006/06/14 14:34:42 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by PapaJoe8

Sounds like someone needs to start a chain of healthy fried foods. Maybe it's time has come?
    Joe

I read somewhere that despite attempts to reshape their menu and add healthier choices, they are not big sellers. People still go for the bad for you stuff.
    renfrew
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Alert: KFC Fried Foods Unhealthy!! 2006/06/14 14:51:59 (permalink)
    Yep, because it tastes good.

There are a couple of places that are healthy fast food in new england. Usually they can get fries as crisp and tasty as deep fried. Its the sandwiches that they fall apart on. Burgers are too lean and dry etc. Although my mom makes a baked-fried chicken hybrid that is awesome. Pan-Fried at first in canola then finished in the oven. Dont see why places cant do that. However, it is a timing issue as it takes longer than deepfried.

I like fried food as much as the next person. I just would prefer it fried in a trans fat free oil. Does not mean I am never going to go to KFC again. I go so rarely anyways.
    Oneiron339
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: Alert: KFC Fried Foods Unhealthy!! 2006/06/14 16:54:33 (permalink)
    It comes down to personal choices and freedom to make those choices. I just don't agree with the socialist mentality of using a group to force changes on a company because of their agenda unless there is something illegal the company is doing. Case in point, most of us know smoking is harmful and stupid, yet it is still legal. Suing the tobacco companies for selling the product which is carcinogenic is equally stupid. People made choices to smoke, the info on harmful effects has been out there for nearly 70 years so don't tell me the tobacco companies are at fault for selling the stuff. If so, make it illegal and stop the sales. Same thing in a private restaurant, if an owner wants to allow smoking, so be it. I have a choice to frequent the place. If it's too smoky, I don't go. If KFC's products are so bad, allow the market place to determine that, not gov't or the public interest (read: socialist) groups. These left-leaning clowns have only one thing on their agendas, using the power of gov't to reduce our rights.
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: Alert: KFC Fried Foods Unhealthy!! 2006/06/14 17:11:42 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by PapaJoe8

Joe

Hmmmmmmmmm.
    I smell an Oxymoron here, Papa...
    Healthy??? Fried Foods???...
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    RE: Alert: KFC Fried Foods Unhealthy!! 2006/06/14 17:26:00 (permalink)
    Lol Roossy! Is it not possible to fry w/ canola or olive oil and end up health? I am not sure but I think so?

Tony, my idea was not for KFC to start cooking healthy, folks aren't wanting healthy when they go there. But for someone to open a healthy fried food place, but then, if it was sucessful, KFC would start offering a healthier choice I bet???
    Joe
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1