Hot!All Roads Lead To Cincinnati

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 10 of 17
Author
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18257
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/25 14:05:36 (permalink)
Ah, it was that bone that did BB in.
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2883
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/25 15:48:53 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman

That was all that was left from his bone in filet at Pine Club...and it was bit embarrassing that he carried it around for days just to gnaw on! 

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/25 16:13:14 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner

Michael Hoffman

That was all that was left from his bone in filet at Pine Club...and it was bit embarrassing that he carried it around for days just to gnaw on! 

Yeah, you can't take him anywhere.

lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6626
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/25 16:13:54 (permalink)
No wonder he got sick. 
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/25 16:31:51 (permalink)
lleechef

No wonder he got sick. 

He got sick cause we took the bone away...to much drooling in the car!
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7669
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/25 17:47:32 (permalink)

Going back to the rubber  duckies at Sugar and Spice, I chose cyclops duck

I guess you can say I've always had a weakness for the "Under Duck"

Just look at the expression in this man's eyes. You truly do not want to get between him and his gnawbone
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10074
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/25 17:52:40 (permalink)
Wish I could say I'm embarrassed by the photo, but I've done worse.....
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/25 19:07:23 (permalink)
buffetbuster

Really?  I hope you calm down before we meet in May.  Now I'm scared.  " />

soozycue520
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1031
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/25 19:48:36 (permalink)
I used to work with the woman who did the murals at Sugar and Spice. She is extremely talented. She did the artwork at Jungle Jims in Eastgate as well.

I am loving this trip report. I love looking at my city through Roadfooder's eyes. I look forward to checking it out every day!!!

Thanks to everyone for posting!!

Big_g
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 358
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/25 20:27:24 (permalink)
BB..no clue as to the type of sausage we were stuffing, but it sure smelled good.
I'm going to mail order one of their sausage packs with some extra who dey...can't wait to get it on the smoker
WJ and CTD nailed this as a GREAT stop...160 years of family tradition...luv it.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7669
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/25 21:08:02 (permalink)
Onward march to Terry's Turf Club

We made sure we arrived when they opened because the crowds can get big here. 
However it appears that due to Lent (and it being a friday at the same time) there wasn't  a wait at all....however

We encountered some interesting folks who greeted us here

And of course my favorite, Apple Annie

Terry's is famous for their burgers and I looked forward to sinking my teeth into one..

As we sat down inside, each table has a basket of peanuts to enjoy...

I sat down with Chi Town Diner, and Buddy and Ms Roadhouse and we shared some appetizers to pique the palate... including

Haloumi (some strange cheese)  with tomato and a balsamic dressing

A mozzarella roll with prosciutto

deviled egg with chilled shrimp

and my favorite....avocado with chorizo....

However I was waiting for our piece de resistance....

You have the option of choosing various accoutrements for your burger...of course some will include an up charge...
Our this is a Gouda Burger with grilled onions, bacon and topped with a burgundy wine, mushrooms and truffle sauce. What was great was that the plethora of toppings did not detract from the flavor of the burger...and what a fine burger it was

I'm not sure how others felt, but Terry's Turf Club was my second favorite stop of the trip...

post edited by wanderingjew - 2014/04/26 09:56:29
FriedClamFanatic
  • Total Posts : 1621
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/25 22:10:10 (permalink)
OMG.........a side of the road place what looks like a hash-house has a burger with Burgundy sauce and truffles??????? That is truly a work of art!...but those appe-teasers looked yummy too
mlm
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 192
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/25 22:47:55 (permalink)
Oh, my God, WJ and BB, I laughed so hard at that 'bone' picture it hurt! Gee, whiz, you guys are just too classic. The look in his eyes is terrifying!" />" />
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3893
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/26 01:18:07 (permalink)
buffetbuster

Really?

Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6321
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/26 08:49:31 (permalink)
Enjoying this thread. Sorry I missed it but I was enjoying much warmer weather for a change.

It looks as if our schedule will tread over this territory extensively in the month of May. We will be going to Cleveland, Cincinnati, southern Indiana, Kentucky and Indianapolis (twice) of course. We now have a pretty tight schedule to maintain of two RV rallies, my annual high school reunion, two Indy Car races, relative visits, friends visits, at least one bourbon tour and some more Kentucky genealogy tracing (I hope). Also, I'd like to complete our Lincoln tour of his boyhood home now that we have been to his Kentucky birthplace, Springfield, IL and Washington DC. I don't recall going there when I lived in Indiana. Maybe, just maybe, I'll get some breaded pork tenderloin sandwich pursuing in. Oh hell yes I will.

Our last visit to our friends in Cincinnati (Montgomery) a few years ago led us to the Montgomery Inn (their choice). Any other recommendations in that general area assuming they would suggest to go out to dinner close by?
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/26 09:12:01 (permalink)
Friday, April 11th (continued):
From a purely food standpoint, Eckerlin Meats was my second favorite stop of the trip after the Pine Club.  The goetta was so fresh and moist, totally different than most of our other stops. 

The onions and spices blend together to create an aroma in back as I was stirring that was intoxicating.  The goetta is mixed together and slow cooked with timers set to make sure it is thoroughly mixed every 15 minutes.  After its 4-5 hour slow cook time, it is placed in pans similar to brownie pans but bigger.  Chilled overnight, the goetta becomes firm.  After removal from the pan, each square of goetta is cut into rectangular blocks. We watched Josh cut the previous days blocks and prepare a box with 12 blocks that weighed in around 28 pounds. 

This order is one of two per week for the same upscale restaurant in Cincinnati that has been purchasing Eckerlin's goetta wholesale for years.  Bob indicated that they ship goetta all over the country, although it mainly for Cincinnati natives.  I believe (memory) they make 500 lbs. of goetta per week.  From the rectangular loaves, it is thin sliced and pan fried or griddled as in the previous and upcoming pictures.

At first, the goetta and all the fun discussions over shadowed the sausages....and then we/it got real!  As Bob and Josh put up those sausages on the counter, the entire store took on an encased meat perfume!  All of the sudden, talking stopped, all of the butchers just stared and time stood still.  With no practice needed, there was an eruption of OMG's as the flavors of the 5-6 different sausages passed our taste buds!  With beaming smiles behind the counter and pride in their craft, each butcher suggested his favorite sausage, condiments and toppings...it had truly become a Roadfood Sausage Fest!!!  The store was up for grabs and customers wandering in must have thought they were on a different planet! 

I believe tee shirts with - "I Survived the Roadfood Sausage Fest" are in order!  Eckerlin Meats comes in at a strong A, and with the family fun, an A+!!! 

Needing a little break, we walked back the entire 100 yards to the Findlay Market and walked the main aisle front to back and side to side.  Beautifully displayed meats, seafood from all over the world, veggies, baked goods, fruits...you name it food-wise, it was there.  Not sure there were any purchases and if there were, they would have been the smaller variety.  With plenty of outside seating and close in parking (a fact we would use to our advantage later), this would have been a perfect spot for 5-10 folks to set-up an outdoor buffet and create a mega taste and share!  Our problem was we were on a tight time schedule and had already had consumed a lot more than expected at Eckerlin Meats
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/26 09:53:51 (permalink)
Typically, The Spreadsheet allows for audibles, changes, extensions and you name it!  But this was an exception to the rule. We had all been warned by our Commander-in-Chief (buffetbuster) that Terry's Turf Club can get down right crowded and is relatively small...a dangerous combination for our merry and expanding band of Roadfooders

Opening at 11:00am, we set our schedule up for a 10:45am arrival.  FIRM!  As the driver and in a previous life, an 18 year aviator, I take pride in schedules....and we arrived at 10:44am!  As we parked and began our wandering about, we were quickly joined by Ralph and Lori Melton and the Roadhouses.  Our group was up to 10!  Maybe more?

As you have seen Wandering Jew's photos, you can see there is a lot going on outside and the 15 minutes was well spent checking out all of the wild and crazy collections of signage!

Here's Buddy Roadhouse in the foreground making sure he has cash (it's only cash) and Big G standing guard so no one cuts our line! 

With 5 minutes to go...here's Cousin Johnny, buffetbuster, Mrs. Roadhouse and Big G...all inching towards the door.

Our hosts, with the gentleman on the left still in disbelief over something?!?!?!?  Perhaps he was having an Animal House flashback...what(?), no Dean Wormer to keep order!  You can also see that our plan worked perfectly as we were first in and as Wandering Jew already pointed out, it was a slower day with the Lenten restrictions. 

Here's a peak ay my burger cooked to a perfect medium rare.  I added tomato, grilled onions, Brie cheese and Foghorn Leghorn which as the menu states is a clever blend of garlic, sundried tomatoes, sage, thyme, apricot, shallot, onion, pear, balsamic vinegar and perhaps a kitchen sink or two!  It's a thick sauce and provided lots of flavor.  I also added on a four cheese dipping sauce for the pretty good fries.

I am not sure who's burger this was, but it has a great shot of the texture and consistency of the Foghorn Leghorn sauce.  Let's see who claims it...

With my camera problems, this was the only shot I got of the menu....hoping there are a few more because this is NOT your standard burger and fries menu.  Just check out the add-ons...
We had so much fun and the staff (except for the guy covering his eyes) enjoyed our visit.  The inside is as eclectic as the outside and once again, I am hoping we'll get a few more pictures.

This was my 3rd favorite food stop of the weekend behind Pine Club and Eckerlin Meats.  I grade Terry's Turf Club in at a B+ and up it to an A- for atmosphere.  I have to confess - Chicago has some really good burger competition which resulted in the B+!  As if we haven't had enough meat...it's off to another butcher...
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4538
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/26 11:31:55 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner

the staff (except for the guy covering his eyes) enjoyed our visit

That's Terry, the owner
Root-Beer Man
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 367
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/26 19:58:46 (permalink)
Glad you folks got to stop in at Terry's. I am a firm believer that they may well make the best burger in the midwest, if not the US. I have yet to find a better one. The mango curry sauce for them is a winner. And the fact that they actually know how to cook a burger right every time....winnah!
ChiBears15
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 96
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/26 20:17:13 (permalink)
This is shaping up to be one the best threads on Roadfood in recent memory.  Thank you all for posting your photos and comments. 

Here are some more pics from our visit to Eckerlin Meats and Terry's Turf Club.

Cincy 46 by dnowak15, on Flickr

Cincy 47 by dnowak15, on Flickr

The Roadfood champ riding the Champ outside Eckerlin Meats.  One woman sarcastically asked WJ, "Don't you weigh more than 50 lbs.?" 

Cincy 48 by dnowak15, on Flickr

A shot of the Over-The-Rhine neighborhood in Cincinnati; location of Findlay market and Eckerlin Meats.

Cincy 49 by dnowak15, on Flickr

This was an awesome burger that I ended up splitting with Gary (big_g) and it was his genius idea to add avocado to it.  As good as the burger was, I thought the real star at this restaurant was the filet mignon chili. 

Cincy 50 by dnowak15, on Flickr

This stuff was delicious!  I can not remember who at our table decided to order it, but big props to you.

Cincy 51 by dnowak15, on Flickr

Ralph, buffetbuster, and Cousin Johnny at Terry's Turf Club. 

Both of these eateries hit the ball out of the park.  We were treated like family at Eckerlin Meats and the sausage and goetta we sampled was perfect.  This was a Roadfood experience that I will always remember.  An overall grade of an A for Eckerlin.  Terry's gets an A- from me for the decor and food. 

Much more to come.
FriedClamFanatic
  • Total Posts : 1621
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/26 23:58:46 (permalink)
WJ in a Yankees shirt?????????  Fortunately he was not home at the time or the lobsters of Narragansett Bay would be dining gourmet!
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15178
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/27 08:20:19 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner

Michael Hoffman

ChiTownDiner

BTW - we had the same server at Henry's as in Ed's picture...and she clearly was more comfortable with 4 slices of pie as opposed to eleven slices of pie!

She said she was still trying to recover from the experience. She told us she  now has a deep fear of flash bulbs. When we were there a couple of days ago we told her picture was on the internet an she said she'd already heard about it.

Gotta love it!!! 

When we do our ride up to Columbus/Centerburg later this Spring, we are going to detour to be sure to visit Henry's... not so much for the Pie, although we will try some... But more so to expand the legend of the "spreading fame of the waitress so well known nationwide in roadfood circles via her internet media campaign..."
joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4512
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/27 09:07:41 (permalink)
WJ's pictures are legendary.  This one rates right up there with the sombrero! 
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/27 09:53:36 (permalink)
Danny - we had no peanuts...now I see why...buffetbuster grabbed ours and had two!
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/27 11:40:52 (permalink)
al
Let us know when you head this way.......we'll meet you at Henry's!  And if you're on really good behavior Brandi will let you take her picture!!!
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/27 12:10:01 (permalink)
Brandi does have a 6 slice or less limit on pie slices in her picture...she does not want her beauty overshadowed!
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/27 12:21:42 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner

Brandi does have a 6 slice or less limit on pie slices in her picture...she does not want her beauty overshadowed!

Which would explain why she would not pose for you guys with your dozen pieces of pie! " />
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4538
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/27 12:27:20 (permalink)
ChiBears15
I thought the real star at this restaurant was the filet mignon chili. 

This stuff was delicious!  I can not remember who at our table decided to order it, but big props to you.

This may be considered blasphemous by some locals, but I have had the burger at Terry's a few times and have never really enjoyed it.  That said, after I saw the filet mignon chili on DDD, I have been meaning to get over there to try that. 

He also sometimes has some very high end spanish hams there.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/27 12:29:11 (permalink)
You won't like it. It's nothing like Greek meat sauce.
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/27 12:30:56 (permalink)
With Sausage Fest and Terry's Turf Club safely in the rear view mirror, it was time for another butcher shop and next up was the rolls off your tongue Avril-Bleh & Sons Meat Market.  In actuality, Avril-Bleh (keep saying it) is two stores in one, a full service butcher shop next door to their restaurant. 

The restaurant has a full counter menu and then you're called up to pick-up your foods.  If you choose to have a grilled sausage, it's walked over from next door by one of the butchers!  How cool is that! 

We spent 30 minutes or so visiting and trying a little of this and little of that...nothing to heavy as we had consumed quite a bit at our previous stops.  Two things of note...on a personal level, I spied Dutch Loaf in the display window.  This was my childhood favorite and I asked if they had relish?  The butcher looked at me with a weird look and replied "yes, why?" and I asked him if they made sandwiches? So I bellied up and ordered Dutch Loaf on white with American Cheese, tomato and relish.  I was rewarded with a solid 1 pounder that by request was cut in fours.  I took the sandwich outside to the two sidewalk tables where the group has assembled and many us got a chance to try my old favorite!  Hoping someone had a photo or two!

Going back inside, there were only three of us left in the store, Buddy Roadhouse, myself and I am forgetting the 3rd Roadfooder.)  One of the butchers came up to us and introduced himself as a member of the Bleh family and asked if we wanted a back room tour?  Are you kidding, does a bear s*** in the woods?  We were on it in a heartbeat and he took us through the butchering area.  On this day, they were custom making hot dogs for an upscale Cincinnati restaurant...literally hundreds of them.  We saw the blend in the huge mixing bowl, the hot dogs being stuffed by the machine and finally, the smoker where hundreds were finishing.  Afterwards, the skins are removed via some type of "rocket launcher" and they are boxed for delivery.
He was so nice and answered a lot of our questions.  Again, hoping some folks have pictures of these....

We had so much fun with the pronunciation of this name that it soon became our battle cry for the remainder of the weekend.  Picture General buffetbuster, carrying the Roadfood Standard flag, leading us into battle with cries of Avril-Bleh & Sons!  Maybe you had to be there...

Next up...is there a Schnecken in the house? 
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 10 of 17
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1