Hot!All Roads Lead To Cincinnati

Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 11 of 17
Author
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18660
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/27 12:38:26 (permalink)
Dutch Loaf. I hadn't thought of Dutch Loaf in years. It was a favorite of mine when I was a kid.
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3006
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/27 12:39:33 (permalink)
Perhaps we were separated at birth like Arnold and Danny...
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/27 13:00:16 (permalink)
And I never thought I'd get to see you again Danny.
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/27 13:10:24 (permalink)
Best line of the week...
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/27 14:22:02 (permalink)
Today's the first day of the week. Hmmmm.
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/27 14:29:44 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman

Today's the first day of the week. Hmmmm.

Now you're making it look easy! 
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7911
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/27 16:51:23 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner 

Friday, April 11th (continued):

We spent 30 minutes or so visiting and trying a little of this and little of that...nothing to heavy as we had consumed quite a bit at our previous stops.  Two things of note...on a personal level, I spied Dutch Loaf in the display window.  This was my childhood favorite and I asked if they had relish?  The butcher looked at me with a weird look and replied "yes, why?" and I asked him if they made sandwiches? So I bellied up and ordered Dutch Loaf on white with American Cheese, tomato and relish.  I was rewarded with a solid 1 pounder that by request was cut in fours.  I took the sandwich outside to the two sidewalk tables where the group has assembled and many us got a chance to try my old favorite!  Hoping someone had a photo or two!

That someone is the guy you forgot who went in the back of shop with you and Buddy

IMG_4142 by ohso37, on Flickr

ChiTownDiner 
Going back inside, there were only three of us left in the store, Buddy Roadhouse, myself and I am forgetting the 3rd Roadfooder.)  One of the butchers came up to us and introduced himself as a member of the Bleh family and asked if we wanted a back room tour?  Are you kidding, does a bear s*** in the woods?  We were on it in a heartbeat and he took us through the butchering area.  On this day, they were custom making hot dogs for an upscale Cincinnati restaurant...literally hundreds of them.  We saw the blend in the huge mixing bowl, the hot dogs being stuffed by the machine and finally, the smoker where hundreds were finishing.  Afterwards, the skins are removed via some type of "rocket launcher" and they are boxed for delivery.
He was so nice and answered a lot of our questions.  Again, hoping some folks have pictures of these....

While CTD was having his senior moment...(Thankfully I'm not nearly at that age yet!) 

I did manage to snap some photos of the hot dogs..

IMG_4139 by ohso37, on Flickr

I also got in some meat cutting action 

IMG_4136 by ohso37, on Flickr

as well as a nice head cheese shot

IMG_4145 by ohso37, on Flickr

Avril-Bleh was also another interesting and informative roadfood experience for all

IMG_4143 by ohso37, on Flickr
RKB
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 175
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/28 12:20:18 (permalink)
WJ, that looks more like goetta than head cheese. Just sayin'..
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/28 12:29:51 (permalink)
Frankly, I wouldn't know one from the other. But that's what the folks at Avril-Bleh   told us
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/28 12:48:34 (permalink)
WJ - you're right about the senior moment!  Sorry 'bout that!  Couple of comments, the striped casing on the dogs actually is removed prior to distribution via a device described as a rocket launcher that strips off the casings and shoots out the dog so it is ready for packing.
Also, I think that is goetta as it was right next to a huge rough cut pile of head cheese and a huge mixing bowl of head cheese.
And thanks for the Dutch Loaf shot! 
mlm
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 243
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/28 13:12:13 (permalink)
CTD,  a hot dog being shot out of a rocket launcher is a fascinating mental picture. I have visions of them catching it with a baseball glove!
If I remember you properly, weren't you the one who used to take your son on field/food trips to Chicago? If so, how is your boy these days? If not, who might I be remembering? 
As always, enjoy your contributions.
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/28 15:43:16 (permalink)
mlm - I had also wanted to the "launcher" but they were not at that stage in the production!  Thanks for remembering as I have taken my boys on several "trips."  They both love Roadfooding when they are around!
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10425
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/28 17:32:43 (permalink)
Throwing in a few extra photos from Terry's Turf Club.

The only photo I have of the menu is the for the sandwiches,

which includes the burgers.  For a place that is best known for one thing, they really have a wide ranging menu and there is no doubt that there are some other really good things yet to be discovered.  Cousin Johnny and I split a burger,

with the Nueske bacon and our personable waiter suggested pairing it with mozzarella cheese.  The creaminess of the cheese, along with the crispy bacon really worked well together, as he recommended.  I am also a big fan of these golden brown French fries.  Other highlights were the fore mentioned filet mignon chili and Ralph's deep fried corn on the cob.

I have heard and read that the staff and owner can be a little gruff, but with the place not being busy (which has to be a rarity), we found them down right hospitable.  Terry seemed to get a kick out of my returning every few moments to get photos of the burgers on the grill

and we started chatting from there.  It didn't take long until he was sending over free samples for us, including excellent tomato soup, his own bbq sauce and he even started slicing off some wasabi

for big_g to taste.  We were treated great here.

The interior is spectacular! 

All the lighting is from the neon signs and it gives the place an unusual imtimate glow.  It does make taking food photos problematic, though.  They also have two

of these ancient green coolers.

Having been to Avril-Bleh (I love saying that name), sitting out and enjoying a food respite seemed like the wise path.  That was until Ralph brought out a nicely grilled mett

covered in sauerkraut.  It is impossible for this German to say no to that!  
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/28 17:48:28 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner

WJ - you're right about the senior moment!  Sorry 'bout that!  

That's ok, next time we'll just have to make sure you take your Geritol before you head out the door.
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/28 17:54:04 (permalink)
wanderingjew

ChiTownDiner

That's ok, next time we'll just have to make sure you take your Geritol before you head out the door.

Will do...I like what the Ex-lax has done for you! 

ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/28 17:54:17 (permalink)
wanderingjew

ChiTownDiner

wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/28 18:19:56 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner

wanderingjew

ChiTownDiner

I'm glad you had extra!
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/28 19:03:19 (permalink)
I think it's time to turn our attention to schnecken...
soozycue520
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1032
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/28 22:40:45 (permalink)
I grew up with Dutch Loaf. And Schnecken. And Mettwurst, etc.
I believe that TJ Jackson's "Where to Eat in Cincinnati" forum became so big, because, just maybe, we have good food in Cincinnati.
soozycue520
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1032
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/28 22:42:14 (permalink)
I cannot wait for the actual "Cincinnati Chili Tour"!!!

BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4275
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/29 02:41:08 (permalink)
Wait...there was chili that weekend?  Where was I?

Buddy
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/29 06:28:46 (permalink)
One of the least known Cincinnati area foods is schnecken, which is something along the lines of a sticky bun or a sweet roll.  On a previous trip to Cincy, we tried to find them at Busken Bakery, only to be told they sell them exclusively during the holidays.  So, I was excited to find a new place had opened up, Queen City Cookies, that had them available year round.  This became the next stop for our burgeoning group.

Expecting this to look like the typical bakery (like the Bonomini Bakery across the street), we were surprised to see Queen City Cookies 

was located in a big beautiful house.  The next surprise was that the schnecken wasn't sitting behind the glass of a bakery case, but was already baked and boxed for easy travel.  

The young lady who was working on this day was wonderful and happily volunteered to warm up the schneckens for us,

along with providing us with plenty of plates, silverware and glasses of water.  I am going to leave the details for my buddy ChiTownDiner, but we sampled five different flavors of schnecken, including bacon,

apricot,

original,

pumpkin and cranberry orange.

I hope those flavors are correct.  If not, someone will set me straight.

Anyway, we had a marvelous time sampling all of the gooey deliciousness that schneckens bring and this was a really nice relaxing break in otherwise had been a hectic day.  Some people enjoyed their schneckens so much, they even bought some to take with them.

post edited by buffetbuster - 2014/04/29 06:31:23
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6315
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/29 07:12:15 (permalink)
They look absolutely delicious!!!
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/29 07:41:48 (permalink)
Great photos buffetbuster, and while I am not absolutely positive, this building (to me) resembled a church rectory as the Queen City Cookies had bought out the surrounding properties also and was actually baking in one of the back buildings.

When we first walked in to the otherwise empty store , the young lady had perhaps 3 schnecken virgins before her.  As she told us the story, and they are shaped like snails, with layers of buttery goodness and cinnamon in each turn, our group got bigger and bigger.  It was fast becoming a virgin schnecken convention! 

She was so sweet and volunteered to warm them all up, got us the biggest table in what was the old dining room (hoping some one has these shots) and then set the table with china and silverware!

By the time the last schnecken came out of the microwave, our group numbered around 10 and the convention got underway!  I loved every flavor especially the bacon and apricot!  They were sweet, chewy, gooey, and so flavorful!  That's why several folks took some home.  Our server told us they had quite a mail order business also so if you want schnecken....check them out online at www.queencitycookies.com .  As described, they are buttery bliss! 

To be noted, they are currently open only 2 days per week, Friday and Saturday.  Our server implied they may be closing the retail store to fully concentrate on mail order and wholesale to the surrounding area.  Better get your schnecken while you can still get 'em hot!  The Schnecken-o-meter comes in at an A for food and ambiance! 
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/29 07:44:54 (permalink)
Some of our group also hit up the Bonomini Bakery right across the street and I am hoping ChiBears15, Wandering Jew, Big G and Ralph will add photos of the schnecken and Bonomini Bakery.

Buddy Roadhouse - please step up to the on-deck circle...it's almost time to go fishing!
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3146
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/29 10:50:38 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner

Some of our group also hit up the Bonomini Bakery right across the street and I am hoping ChiBears15, Wandering Jew, Big G and Ralph will add photos of the schnecken and Bonomini Bakery.

Buddy Roadhouse - please step up to the on-deck circle...it's almost time to go fishing!

Bonomini Bakery is one of my favorite bakeries in the tri-state area -their paczkis are the best I have ever had.
Ralph Melton
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 902
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/29 14:09:06 (permalink)
I was particularly interested in Avril-Bleh because of the name - with a name like that, you know that it's thriving for reasons other than the mainstream appeal of the name.

Ordering the mett was a bit complicated; it turned out that I had to order the sausage in the Avril-Bleh meat shop and have them carry it over to the Avril-Bleh deli next door to get it grilled. The meat shop counterman said that normally he has a cart outside preparing metts, but he hadn't brought it out that day because of predictions of rain. (Though we had not a cloud in the sky.)

I also got some hot pickles at Avril-Bleh; they were pretty darn hot, too hot for me to comfortably finish.
Hot Pickles at Avril-Bleh by Ralph Melton, on Flickr

I loved the schnecken and the whole Queen City Cookies experience. The schnecken were a new thing for me, and they were buttery, gooey, and delicious. And Simone was incredibly enthusiastic and happy to talk with us about our food explorations. Queen City Cookies was the high point of the trip for me. (ChiTownDiner, you're right that it was a former church rectory.)
by Ralph Melton, on Flickr
Schnecken by Ralph Melton, on Flickr
Bacon Schnecken by Ralph Melton, on Flickr

The cookies that BuddyRoadhouse brought from Bonomini to Queen City Cookies:
Bonomini Cookies by Ralph Melton, on Flickr

We went over to Bonomini Bakery after Queen City Cookies. It may just be that we were coming from such a great experience at Queen City, but we didn't see any baked goods calling to us, and we found the service fairly uncordial. We asked about paczki and were told curtly that they had none. Lori bought an Easter egg cake, but didn't get around to eating it for a day or two, so we can't judge it at its best.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/29 14:17:02 (permalink)
By now, we were all schneckened out and proceeded to our next destination, Schneider's Sweet Shop

Located just across the river in Bellevue, KY, they have been in business since 1939.  They last appeared in one of the Stern's books in the 1999 Eat Your Way Across the U.S.A. and are most famous for their specialty opera creams.

With Easter fast approaching, most of the store was decorated for the holiday.  It was tempting to buy a four foot tall chocolate bunny, but I settled for a box of the opera creams. 

They are smallish and are indeed light and creamy.  The young lady who waited on me was happy to pack a box of half milk chocolate and half dark chocolate.

A few people got ice cream, but most of your group bought some kind of candy.  While what they sell here is very good, people were starting to get weary and you could see it on their faces.  Personally, I was ready for a nap.  This was not one of the more popular stops.

If memory serves me, Schneider's doesn't make their opera creams during the warmer months, as the humidity causes havoc with it.  Before making a special trip, please call ahead to make sure. 
post edited by buffetbuster - 2014/04/29 14:23:37
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4596
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/29 14:29:48 (permalink)
Schneider's specialty is a half iceball half ice cream on a cone or in a cup

I am not sure what they call it
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/29 14:32:11 (permalink)
TJ-
I tried that before and didn't really care for it.  Have you had it?
Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 11 of 17
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1