Hot!All Roads Lead To Cincinnati

Page: << < ..1617 > Showing page 16 of 17
Author
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2882
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/05/11 16:14:31 (permalink)
Saturday, April 12th (Continued):
After another short rest of 30 minutes, it off to our dinner stop at Blue Ash Chili.

The only surviving photo was this picture of chili lasagna...and it claims the title of my favorite dish at all of the chili stops.  It was a perfect mix of chili, pasta, cheese and creaminess!  My vote for best chili dish!  The Texas toast was a perfect accompaniment!

We had a group shot taken here but a few of the folks were still inside either snacking or settling the bills. 
post edited by ChiTownDiner - 2014/05/11 16:15:36
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3888
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/05/12 00:59:08 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner

After another short rest of 30 minutes, it off to our dinner stop at Blue Ash Chili.

The only surviving photo was this picture of chili lasagna...and it claims the title of my favorite dish at all of the chili stops.  It was a perfect mix of chili, pasta, cheese and creaminess!  My vote for best chili dish!  The Texas toast was a perfect accompaniment!

We had a group shot taken here but a few of the folks were still inside either snacking or settling the bills. 

That does sound delicious. I wish I'd tried it!
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7666
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/05/12 18:43:38 (permalink)
Back at Marx's Bagels, ChiBears15 and I shared the very regionally appropriate pumpernickel bagel with a schmear of jalapeno cream cheese- yes, you heard it- only in Cincinnati

IMG_4248 by ohso37, on Flickr

When we arrived at Blue Ash Chili, my memory has started to fade as it has now been a month since our visit

IMG_4250 by ohso37, on Flickr

Someone ordered a big bowl of potatoes and gravy

IMG_4253 by ohso37, on Flickr

and I'm hoping someone can claim this, because I have no idea what it is

IMG_4255 by ohso37, on Flickr

We ordered some coneys, but as I got a photo, it had already started to wilt

IMG_4263 by ohso37, on Flickr

Finally, I ordered a 5 way, I'm sure I must have shared this with somebody, because at this point late in the day, I doubt I ate the whole thing

IMG_4260 by ohso37, on Flickr.

I can't tell you if it's because of the texture, of the chili, the beans that are used in the 5 way or the spices in the chili itself, but Blue Ash is still my favorite Cincinnati Chili Parlor

Our last stop of the evening was Aglamesis Brothers. This place has been around for over 100 years. 
Apparently this is Graeter's arch nemesis. 

IMG_4264 by ohso37, on Flickr

If memory serves me correct I ordered cookies and cream and and added nuts

IMG_4266 by ohso37, on Flickr

Honestly, I thought the ice cream was a little too sweet, and prefer Graeter's "creamier" option...

Well, there was one more day of roadfooding among what was left of the group on Sunday. If someone wants to fill, you're more than welcome. In the interim, I am going to work on Monday and Tuesday on a separate trip report with a link included on this thread...
post edited by wanderingjew - 2014/05/12 19:18:13
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/05/13 08:29:37 (permalink)

Our final stop of the day, and for many a place to say good-bye until the next food tour or meet-up was Aglamesis Bros. Ice Cream Parlor.  A turn of the century ice cream parlor featuring a robust ice cream counter, a large area for assorted candies, and both indoor (including counter seating) and outdoor seating. 

We arrived to a typical Saturday night crowd as the area features several restaurants, bars and plenty of free parking.  My choice...

....a cherry soda with black cherry ice cream!  This was a fine soda and was really refreshing after a chili-packed day!  After a little parking bbq sauce dealing from trunks, it was back to the hotel for the night. 

What a great time and my special thanks to Cajun King for all of his organizational efforts and one kick-ass itinerary.  It was also great seeing such a wide ranging group travel from so many different places.  It was both surprising and a bit disappointing to have so many Cincinnati (and local area) posters and only Sudie and Bonk were able to join us!  I wish I could have gotten to know you both a bit more, but thanks for rolling the dice! 

Last stop...the Golden Lamb for Sunday Brunch...

wanderingjew
Sirloin
Flagged as Spam (1)
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/05/13 08:59:21 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner

What a great time and my special thanks to Cajun King for all of his organizational efforts and one kick-ass itinerary.  It was also great seeing such a wide ranging group travel from so many different places.  It was both surprising and a bit disappointing to have so many Cincinnati (and local area) posters and only Sudie and Bonk were able to join us!  I wish I could have gotten to know you both a bit more, but thanks for rolling the dice! 

Last stop...the Golden Lamb for Sunday Brunch...

Once again, thanks to Cajun King for organizing the crawl. It was great to meet the two local representatives Sudie and Bonk.
On an aside, and I'm going to be more blunt and direct (without mentioning names) but it's amazing that there are so many local folks who post and post and post (more often than not, posts about "nothing" yet they do not show up for any Roadfood events. The same thing applies for New England too, not just Cincinnati and other parts of the country. They say that they're "too busy" or "something came up" which for the most part is a bunch of bunk because if that was REALLY  the truth, they wouldn't have any time at all  to post anything on the forum
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3710
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/05/13 09:46:47 (permalink)
WJ

I think that you are looking at these events from your life.  You are single...........no family commitments.  You are physically able to get around very well. You enjoy the events and meeting other Roadfooders and can afford to do so.

I  see that most of the people who go to these great get togethers are either single, childless, or "empty nesters"  For the cost of a two day affair, a person with a family just might chose to take their family out for a nice meal and spend their money that way. One does what is most important to them or what they are physically able to do.  I am certain that there are people on these boards that are physically challenged in ways that would make it impossible for  them to attend these events.

I missed two events because of  illness and major eye surgeries.  Right now my live is completely wrapped up in my grandchildren and their sports.  It is a lot of fun and I love it.  I would never think of missing a competition or tournament for a Roadfood event.  Instead, I chose to attend and then we, as a family,( and often with a friend) go out someplace fun to eat and celebrate the day.

The Roadfood forum is for all people who like to talk about food and tell about restaurants that others would enjoy.  One does not have to attend these events to show what a great Roadfooder that they are............not in the rules.

post edited by Greymo - 2014/05/13 09:50:05
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Flagged as Spam (1)
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/05/13 10:01:37 (permalink)
Greymo

WJ

I think that you are looking at these events from your life.  You are single...........no family commitments.  You are physically able to get around very well. You enjoy the events and meeting other Roadfooders and can afford to do so.

I  see that most of the people who go to these great get togethers are either single, childless, or "empty nesters"  For the cost of a two day affair, a person with a family just might chose to take their family out for a nice meal and spend their money that way. One does what is most important to them or what they are physically able to do.  I am certain that there are people on these boards that are physically challenged in ways that would make it impossible for  them to attend these events.

I missed two events because of  illness and major eye surgeries.  Right now my live is completely wrapped up in my grandchildren and their sports.  It is a lot of fun and I love it.  I would never think of missing a competition or tournament for a Roadfood event.  Instead, I chose to attend and then we, as a family,( and often with a friend) go out someplace fun to eat and celebrate the day.

The Roadfood forum is for all people who like to talk about food and tell about restaurants that others would enjoy.  One does not have to attend these events to show what a great Roadfooder that they are............not in the rules.

Greymo
I'm not sure why you felt the need to respond specifically to me as Chi Town Diner brought up the exact same issue in the previous post,

Once again,  (and I've repeated this over and over and over and over and over again in previous posts on other threads) I wasn't referring to those with health or mobility issues. I won't even bring up the family issues because there are several roadfooders who are married, with children are not or were not empty nesters that are able to attend Roadfood events. Chi Town Diner is the perfect example (and I can name even more if you'd like). There are plenty of folks on the Cincinnati/Southwest Ohio forum that are either singe or who have no kids that haven't attended one single event.  I know there are lots of folks who post on the internet that have "social interraction issues" and that's ok, but then again, more often than not people say the're going to show up at an event, knowing well in advance that they're really not going to. That's just plain rude
And one more thing I live on a middle class income, perhaps less because I do not quite earn 6 figures a year. It doesn't take much to "afford" to go to a few events a year.
post edited by wanderingjew - 2014/05/13 10:03:28
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6320
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/05/13 11:49:51 (permalink)
For me, timing is everything. I've been on the road since the beginning of March but was in Texas during the Cincinnati get together. Since on the road I have attended two socials in Texas and Ohio with other RVers from all over the country and will attend a third in southern Indiana this week. Cincinnati couldn't work out with our schedule. However we did get to Cincinnati last week for a night. Our hosts chose Maggiano's. Not all that bad but a national chain. Now in Indianapolis I have my sister trained. The first place we went was to Smee's Place Bar and grill. In their window was a sign, "Friends don't take friends to CHAIN restaurants."
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6622
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/05/13 11:54:05 (permalink)
Thank you Cajun King for proposing this get together!  When the idea first came up I said to MH, "We have to go!"  To which he replied, "You don't even like Cincy chili!"  I said, "I know I don't........I'm going to socialize!"  Well, we had a good time with EdSails before and after the crawl, and of course a wonderful Saturday with the rest of the Roadfood gang.  For me, it's nice to see old friends and make new ones. 
soozycue520
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1031
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/05/13 18:44:32 (permalink)
On an aside, and I'm going to be more blunt and direct (without mentioning names) but it's amazing that there are so many local folks who post and post and post (more often than not, posts about "nothing" yet they do not show up for any Roadfood events. The same thing applies for New England too, not just Cincinnati and other parts of the country. They say that they're "too busy" or "something came up" which for the most part is a bunch of bunk because if that was REALLY  the truth, they wouldn't have any time at all  to post anything on the forum

I feel a little attacked. I posted on the meet-up board. I bought my grandson tickets for a show for that particular date, without thinking about it being the same day. I had every intention of attending ,even taking the day off of work, well before buying the tickets to "American Idiot" at the Aronoff Center for my grandson's birthday.

I posted that I would like to know what others were doing on Thursday, Friday and Sunday, so that, maybe, I could meet up with some of you, on another day. No one ever answered about other meet-ups.  I know that those days may have been a "fly by the seat of your pants" kind of thing. But, I could have possibly met some people on those other dates.

I know this may not have been directed at me, but no Roadfooders made an effort to let me know what they were doing at other times during their stay in my city.  I am not indicting anyone, and, am not truly upset about it, but if I am being indicted for participating in Roadfood.com, but not showing up, I want to defend my position.

I try to offer good information about my city on Roadfood.com. I enjoy all of the Trip Reports, and live vicariously through all of the wonderful trips you have had. I appreciate them, one and all. And, when I do take trips, Roadfood.com is a wealth of information for me.

I feel that if I would have met anyone of you, I would have felt like I knew you forever.  Sorry I can't remember enough to write things down, so I don't overbook .

I absolutely love looking at Cincinnati through all of your eyes. Thank you for the renewed appreciation for my city.
post edited by soozycue520 - 2014/05/13 18:48:10
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/05/13 18:47:27 (permalink)
I guess it will be up to me to finish the remaining report.....

Sunday morning the few remaining folks who didn't skip town already  (Chi Town Diner, Cousin Johnnie, Buffetbuster, Big G, Michael Hoffman and lleechef, Ed Sails, Ralph Melton, Ice Cream Chick and myself enjoyed our last meal at the Golden Lamb in Lebanon OH 

IMG_4268 by ohso37, on Flickr

The Golden Lamb is a landmark steeped in history, in fact it's in my "Historic Restaurants" book that Sandra got me for my last birthday.

IMG_4269 by ohso37, on Flickr

The interior is nicely decorated "old school" ....or... as those on yelp would describe "dated"

IMG_4271 by ohso37, on Flickr

IMG_4284 by ohso37, on Flickr

I ordered some Sauerkraut Balls for the table...

IMG_4274 by ohso37, on Flickr

Nice presentation in a funnel, although I was kind of miffed because it prevented a good photo...
This was my second experience with Sauerkraut balls, my first being at the Hey Hey Bar and Grill in Columbus. From recall these Sauerkraut balls were quite flavorful however the outer coating appeared crunchier and thicker than ones I had at the Hey Hey

I then moved on to an egg,  boursin and veggie souffle 

IMG_4278 by ohso37, on Flickr

I was expecting something overly rich and heavy but it was much lighter than I expected. It came with a side of fruit, some pepper bacon

IMG_4279 by ohso37, on Flickr

and some warm dense biscuits

IMG_4281 by ohso37, on Flickr

paired with apple butter

IMG_4275 by ohso37, on Flickr

The meal itself was a solid A-, unfortunately the coffee was a D+. 

Afterwards we all said our goodbyes. Buffetbuster, Cousin Johnnie and I headed towards Columbus but before dropping Cousin Johnnie off, we made one last stop at Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream.  Imagine my surprise when I observed a coffee house right next door called Staufs Coffee Roasters

Ralph Melton and Ice Cream Chick arrived shortly afterwards (and then there were 5)

Back to Jeni's, they had some really interesting ice cream flavors. And luckily they offered the option to try several. The portions were not huge, so that was a good thing...

My first trio

IMG_4288 by ohso37, on Flickr

Included a somewhat spicy Bangkok Peanut, Banana French Toast and a mild Goat Cheese  and Red Cherry (from l to right) my favorite of the three was definitely Bangkok Peanut

I wanted to stop there but was tempted and went with round 2

IMG_4290 by ohso37, on Flickr

This time I went with a "strong"  black coffee and a rich   Chocomole which had a very mild cinnamon undertone. Chocomole was my favorite in round 2. 

I went next door afterwards to get a solid "Cuppa Joe" at Stauf's. When I went next door I was chatting with one of the baristas who told me that Stauf's (which has been around now for 25 years) is actually the original location of the Cuppa Joes mini chain which is scattered about the Columbus metro area. Considering how much I love Cuppa Joes and how good the coffee was at Staufs, it all made sense.

Interestingly enough, Buffetbuster mentioned that Jeni's has another location in Nashville TN out of all places, I just checked their website, and now they have a location in Cleveland, Atlanta and Charleston too . So, in a nutshell, Buffetbuster took me to a chain!

At this point our official tour ended. We said our goodbyes and parted our respective ways... 

I will begin (and end)  the sequel and final chapter of my trip in a separate trip report tomorrow.
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/05/13 19:22:38 (permalink)
Sunday, April 13th:
As previously indicated a smaller group headed back or to Lebanon and the Golden Lamb, which is both a historic inn and a restaurant.  While I have only two surviving photos...and one will not post... 

...I thoroughly enjoyed this stop.  Steeped in history and having hosted nearly 2 dozen presidents, I loved the dining room look and feel.  My brunch choice was then Roasted Venison Sausage Omelet which included caramelized onions, boursin cheese and some solid skillet potatoes.  Very good!  And I did like the sauerkraut balls! 

With a five hour drive calling, we said another round of good byes and I was west bound and down! 

Loved, loved, loved our Cincinnati trip! 

post edited by ChiTownDiner - 2014/05/13 19:25:48
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/05/13 21:27:10 (permalink)
WJ - that Red Cherry sure looked good!
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3710
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/05/13 21:48:40 (permalink)
CCJPO

Thank you for your comment, I appreciate it. 

I hear where you are coming from.................forget the ones who have made up their own tight set of rules for posters on these boards.  I bought the very first Roadfood book  the month it came out.  My husband and I spent the next two summers going to many of the places listed.

I do not feel it necessary for any poster to have to attend any event........................my time is with my family!
ScreamingChicken
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4978
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/05/14 10:28:31 (permalink)
Did anyone check out the upstairs rooms at The Golden Lamb or did everyone stick to the first floor?  Some friends and I took a self-guided tour a few years ago and IIRC we were allowed to walk the halls but not enter the rooms themselves.
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/05/14 11:08:39 (permalink)
I did not, although I did go to the lower level restroom.  It was funny as the doors are either way small...or by the end of the tour, I was way big! 
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18255
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/05/14 11:44:13 (permalink)
I'd comment, but I'm not going to take a chance of a rocket being fired from somewhere in northern Illinois.
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3888
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/05/14 15:33:29 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman

I'd comment, but I'm not going to take a chance of a rocket being fired from somewhere in northern Illinois.

Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/05/14 16:55:12 (permalink)
Apparently, the lower level was a former hobbit habitat which would explain the smaller door ways...mystery solved!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/05/14 17:03:41 (permalink)
Thus spake the big guy with the furry feet.
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/05/14 17:12:38 (permalink)
I regularly wax my toes! 
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/05/14 17:14:03 (permalink)
Who doesn't?
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/05/14 19:52:54 (permalink)
phillyinmd
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/06/26 09:11:37 (permalink)
Good thing you guys when to Queen City Cookies when you did.  I tried to go there in early June and they had gone out of business.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10074
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/06/26 09:18:29 (permalink)
Oh no!  When we were there, they telling us about their future plans.

Oh, and welcome to Roadfood phillyinmd!
phillyinmd
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/06/26 13:13:33 (permalink)
Thanks.  Been visiting for awhile, finally decided I would post.
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6352
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/06/28 20:16:21 (permalink)
BB - You still may be in luck, the website is down, and the voicemail system is full, but she tweeted on june 12, 2014, that they are enjoying a well deserved holiday, See you Soon!!!

https://www.facebook.com/...ookies/155665214481149

I emailed Peggy to see what is going on

buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10074
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/06/28 20:24:58 (permalink)
Hey, keep us updated CK.  We need to get our occasional schnecken fix!
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6352
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/06/28 23:27:36 (permalink)
IT IS OFFICIAL.......................

CTD ate ALL of the schnecken and unfortunately Queen City Cookies never recovered. 

They closed for good at the end of April.

sudie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 233
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/06/29 08:03:42 (permalink)
Belatedly, I was delighted to join you and finally meet some of my favorite Roadfooders. Special thanks to Cajun King for organizing this and to Buddy Roadhouse for his amazing BBQ sauce, which we've purchased more of at Jungle Jim's. It was a pleasure meeting all of you and I'm so glad you enjoyed Cincinnati. I wish I could be part of the NC tour, but we'll be by there in December, so I look forward to your reports.
Page: << < ..1617 > Showing page 16 of 17
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1