Hot!All Roads Lead To Cincinnati

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 17
Author
pnwchef
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2375
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/14 09:12:51 (permalink)
  • CTD, are the noodles in the C&N a homemade noodle ??? or are they more like a dumpling ?? happy you all had a great time.......pnwc
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5045
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/14 09:19:14 (permalink)
Big_g

Hope everyone has a safe trip home..and hope Cliff is feeling better soon.
Uh-oh...I hope it was nothing serious and that no one else came down with anything, chili-related or not.
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2614
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/14 09:49:12 (permalink)
Nothing too serious, we think the poor guy has developed an allergy to Roadfood.
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2921
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/14 10:14:05 (permalink)
pnwchef

• CTD, are the noodles in the C&N a homemade noodle ??? or are they more like a dumpling ?? happy you all had a great time.......pnwc

pnwchef - they are most definitely noodle like at both locations.  Definitely not dumpling like.  The are shorter, wide, flat and about 1/8 inch thick.  The gravy at Gray Brothers was better...the chicken pieces and noodles were similar at both stops! 
post edited by ChiTownDiner - 2014/04/14 12:19:56
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/14 14:00:22 (permalink)
Have you tallied the votes for this weekend's favorite Cincinnati chili/Greek meat sauce?
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4565
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/14 16:11:41 (permalink)
My money is on Blue Ash Chili if they made it there
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/14 16:19:03 (permalink)
TJ - Blue Ash got my vote for best overall restaurant. 2nd place for their 5-way.
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4212
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/14 18:52:03 (permalink)
Blue Ash was pretty nifty, but Camp Washington was where I fell in love with Goetta.

More extensive and complete coverage of the weekend coming, as time permits.

Buddy
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18387
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/15 07:13:34 (permalink)
It was Camp Washington for me. Heck, I even found the oyster crackers at Camp Washington tops. I thought the Greek meat sauce at Blue Ash unremarkable, although it was better than the Skyline I'm used to. The best thing about the three-way I had at Blue Ash was the added jalapeno "coins." They were breaded and deep fried, and they were terrific.
post edited by Michael Hoffman - 2014/04/15 13:05:14
harriet1954
  • Total Posts : 1154
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/15 09:19:12 (permalink)
Mr. Hoffman, regarding the oyster crackers - were they the nice thick ones (like OTC), or those little flat ones?
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/15 10:45:04 (permalink)
Oh, they're the little ones.
Big_g
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 363
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/15 12:59:23 (permalink)
As a Texas boy the Chili (greek meat sauce) was OK...I did really enjoy the 6-Way at Dixie Chili....the extra Garlic added a nice zing to the plate.
The others were all OK...although the filet mignon chili at Terry's Turf club was pretty tasty too...
post edited by Big_g - 2014/04/15 17:50:02
ChiBears15
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 99
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/15 23:52:42 (permalink)
Hi guys,
I had a great time in Cincinnati with all of you last week.  It was surely a Roadfood get together that will be remembered for quite some time.  Thank you all for attending (especially Ed Sails; who came all the way from California!).  Also, I'd like to say thank you to JRPfeff and his family for bringing pies and commemorative wristbands for all the crawl attendees.  I've been wearing mine proudly every day.

Wednesday April 9th:

I had the opportunity to take Wednesday off from work, but opted against it to preserve some vacation days for the remainder of the year.  Therefore, my plan was to leave work at 3:00 pm (I work close to O'Hare airport in Chicago) and power drive to Cincinnati with only a couple of food stops in Indiana. 
I ended up leaving work at that time and I hit heavy traffic heading towards Indiana.

Even though I wasn't planning on eating anything until Indianapolis, my hunger got the best of me somewhere on I-65 and I gave in.  I found a highway ad for the Country Pride Restaurant and decided to give it a try. 

Cincy 1 by dnowak15, on Flickr

Cincy 2 by dnowak15, on Flickr

The restaurant is attached to a gas station and its interior walls are lined with pictures of famous Americans.  Since they serve breakfast all day, I chose to go with the biscuits and gravy with two eggs served sunny side up. 

Cincy 3 by dnowak15, on Flickr

For dessert I went with a sugar free cherry pie.

Cincy 4 by dnowak15, on Flickr

The meal actually wasn't that bad.  I would give it a solid C+ rating.  Plus, it was cheap and the waitress was very friendly.  The gravy had a decent taste to it and the eggs were cooked properly.  I knew the pie was not homemade because I had asked the waitress before I ordered it; it was almost tasteless.  Regardless, this place did the job it had to do: keep me full until Indianapolis. 

Much more to come...
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10220
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/16 02:29:40 (permalink)
I worked for TA from 1979-83 as Director of Merchandising & Distribution.
At that time we were owned by Ryder Systems and Headquartered in Nashville. I was part of the marketing team that developed the "Country Pride" Brand for the restaurants. I also had responsibility for the stores, motels, convenience stores and distribution/logistics operations. Also bought all the Video games. Pac Man, Pong and Donkey Kong were a BIG money makers!
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/16 08:15:47 (permalink)
After my cafeteria stop, it was time to head to the country and a doubleheader stop in Gnaw Bone!  Pat's Gnaw Bone Sorghum Mill in Nashville Indiana is a Roadfood stop and features freshly baked breads and a lot of different jellies, jams and spreads.

On the day of my visit, no baked goods were to be found and the gentleman manning the store was on a telephone call for my entire visit including the ring-up.  No chance for any small talk or questions.  With the exception of the jams, there is really nothing here except for some outdoor furniture located under the front covered area.

Never having heard of Frog Preserves, I picked up a bottle and as you can see, it contains Fig, Raspberry, Orange and Ginger.  Still have tired it yet but it is in-line in the soon to be opened category.  The Black Bear is a mix of Blackberries, Blueberries and Black Raspberries...also in line.  I don't believe this is a worthwhile stop and give it a grade of D.  Next up, and literally a block over....

Located in a small gas station, the attached convenience store has a large sign announcing one of Indiana's most famous dishes, the Tenderloin...and this is the Original Gnaw Bone Tenderloin!
The store clerk couldn't have been any friendlier and she popped a frozen tenderloin puck into a pressure cooker and set if for either 3 or 4 minutes.  After dressing it and packing it, I was on my way.

This baby weighed in at a heavy one pound plus and was smoking hot!  After a brief cool down, the taste revealed an average tenderloin and nothing more than a C...disappointing! 
As I departed Nashville...aka Gnaw Bone, little did I realize I would have one of my very best Roadfood experiences coming up next!  Stay Tuned!
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4565
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/16 09:26:54 (permalink)
That "tenderloin" from Gnaw Bone looks like a chopped and pressed fritter
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/16 09:33:53 (permalink)
Love reading about this and wish I could have joined u. Greetings to all and good eating.Anyone catch the reds? I also loved parking in Kentucky and crossing the river to see a game.
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/16 11:13:09 (permalink)
mr chips - we should have some Reds action coming up on Friday evening...4 members of the party took in a game! 
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15245
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/16 11:57:43 (permalink)
Gregg,  As the TV used to sing..." You're in MR Roger's The Mayor's Neighborhood as you head down I-65."
  Looking forward to reading of "Your Best Experience".
post edited by mayor al - 2014/04/16 12:00:46
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3968
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/16 12:29:00 (permalink)
It was a really good get together. After seeing your note on Gnaw bone, Danny, I'm sorry I passed on trying theirs. I need a pork tenderloin sandwich. Great meeting you, Danny, Gary, Ralph et al, and many thanks to the "Beauty and the Curmudgeon" for their incredible hospitality for not only the days of the crawl but tours of the area and food before and after. Jolly Roger, Gahanna Grill and more----it was a lot of fun. Pics to come soon!

I thought Blue Ash Chili Was best overall, yet I will give points to Pleasant Ridge for producing what I thought was closet to what I thought Cincinnati Chili would be like. Their cinnamon and spices were just a little more pronounced and unique. 
post edited by EdSails - 2014/04/16 17:26:16
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/16 12:36:50 (permalink)
At least you didn't say Beauty and the Beast.
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6767
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/16 12:42:03 (permalink)
He was just being nice.
I liked the chili at Camp Washington the best and the coney with jalapenos at Dixie. 
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/16 13:42:24 (permalink)
My rankings from the Saturday tour...
  1. Pleasant Ridge - This was the chili with the most pronounced spice flavor, especially the baking spices I associate with Cincinnati-style Greek meat sauce. My favorite 5-way of the four places we sampled on Saturday.
  2. Dixie Chili - Big_g reminded me of the garlic on the 6-way. It made the flavor jump.
  3. Blue Ash Chili - Blue Ash seemed to use better quality cheese (I may have been hallucinating) for a nice 5-Way plate. I liked the atmosphere of the restaurant here best.
  4. Camp Washington - I was greatly disappointed with Camp Washington. Their 5-way was bland, and the place had the feel of a fast food franchise. I was expecting nirvana based on what I had heard about them.
rumaki
  • Total Posts : 1040
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/16 14:15:57 (permalink)
In reference to your Country Pride review, has anyone noticed this phenomenon of "sugar free" cherry pie -- specifically, cherry pie?  On my travels in the last year, I've seen it in many restaurants where they don't serve "sugar" cherry pie -- the only option is "sugar free."  And often, it is the only variety of "sugar free" pie offered.

"Real" cherry pie is my favorite kind, but I shy away from a "sugar free" version. There  has to be some kind of sweetener in it, because sour red cherries are much too tart for most people's taste (though I love them).  But what is that sweetener, and how does the pie taste?
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3968
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/16 23:19:17 (permalink)
Having left Sunny SoCal for points east, I arrived in Columbus and immediately thought I was wrong about something. As I waited for my ride at the airport, I could have sworn Chicago was the “Windy City” and yet as my jacket swirled around me I thought that that described Columbus perfectly. I decided to eat more on this trip so I wouldn't blow away. Yesterday I felt, “Mission Accomplished”!

Shortly thereafter, Michael Hoffman and Lisa Lee picked me up and the great Ohio Foodfest began. With a few days before the Cincinnati Chili Crawl, I knew I was set for a lot of food beforehand. 

Our first meal was at Schmidt's, a place I'd heard about before. An oom-pah band, locally brewed Dunkel beer and J. Schmidt's Old World Sausage Platter with applesauce, potato pancakes and warm kraut started me off, while MH and Lleechef both raved about their favorite there, the Bahama Mama. Sausage.  My sausages were hearty and flavorful and the sides delicious.

Schmidt's Old World Sampler

Bahama Mama Platter

The next morning, MH and I went to Waffle House. Even though I didn't know the proper way to order it, I still knew what I wanted and enjoyed my hash browns with onions and ham.

For lunch, we set out for Crabill's Hamburgers. The way MH and Lleechef raved about it and with what Michael Stern had said here, I knew I was in for a transcendental experience. Three burgers later, I understood why everyone raved about it. They were awesome, oniony, crusty and yet juicy.

I could have easily ordered more, but I knew we had places to go and things to eat. The atmosphere is funky at best, with the best part being the aroma of those burgers constantly on the grill. People came in while we ate, ordering from 4 to 16 burgers and getting them in no time flat. What Crabill's does, they do perfectly. 

From the outside, our next stop made Crabill's look like Spago. I was absolutely amazed when this turned out to be Henry's, the home of awesome pie. I did mutter some things under my breath though, when I found out BB and pals had bought 11 pies the night before, leaving us with not much of a choice. Brandi, our waitress, described the scene to us from the night before. In the mean time, it turned out the rhubarb pie I had wanted was gone as well as Lleechef's desired cherry pie. I drowned my sorrows in a piece of scrumptious blackberry pie and an average piece of apple pie. MH had Banana Cream, topped not with whipped cream but meringue, while LL had a piece of coconut cream pie. 

Dinner that night, however, made up for the disappointment at Henry's. Lleechef channeled her inner Alaskan memories and made us a wonderful pile of Alaskan king crab legs. Along with some Jack Daniels, it was truly a delicious, memorable meal.

Saturday morning we were on the road early, bound for Cincinnati and the Chili Crawl. With many of the Roadfooders meeting at the hotel in Blue Ash, we had some yummy pies brought by the JRPfeff contingent. That more than made up for the lack of pies at Henry's. After meeting plenty of Roadfooders, some old friends and some new, we headed to the first stop, Pleasant Ridge Chili.

For my first meal, I shared a three-way and an order of goetta with WJ. My first taste of goetta, suggested by WJ and I was hooked. It was delicious. The chili was good, probably the closest I came to what I had imagined Cincinnati Chili would be, with cinnamon and spice notes giving it a unique flavor. Overall, it was not the best chili, but I think it was the closest to what I had heard it described at over the years.

Mike S. and Ava

5 way at Pleasant Ridge Chili

Goetta
Our next stop was Jungle Jims, a place that I can only describe as a cross between all the ethnic markets I shop at here in SoCal, thrown together with a splash of Disneyland's Jungle River Cruise and a touch of Trader Joe's.

Michael Hoffman. Lleechef and unidentified Roadfooder at Jungle Jim's

As is befitting a place that seems like you need to join a hunt, I joined with a group in search of
Buddy Roadhouse's BBQ sauce. After a while, I got my “Big Game shot”, of Buddy with his BBQ sauce on the shelves. After a detour to the seafood department to see some nice live crawfish, we headed down across the river to Kentucky for our next stop.

6 Way at Dixie Chili
Dixie Chili was probably the closest to “eh” that I had. The coney looked nice, but tasted like one of those cheap chicken hot dogs with some uninspired chili on it. More interesting was the six way chili, with fresh garlic on top of it. The garlic was good, but a little too much after a while, completely obscuring the taste of the chili. Of course, since it was the same chili that was on my coney, that was not a problem.

After a short hike to a non-existent Graeter's that was supposedly four blocks away, we drove to another location. There, everyone was in ice cream nirvana. Lleechef had said the hazelnut gelato was the thing to get so I ordered that and salted caramel ice cream. Working my way through the two scoops at a table with Bonk, Big_g and ChiBears15, Buddy Roadhouse came by and asked what flavors I had. When I told him, he said that it looked like she gave me butter pecan instead of the hazelnut gelato. I took the half finished dish to the counter and told her. She apologized, told me to keep the first dish and then gave me a second dish practically overflowing with the hazelnut gelato. Great customer service! Two dishes of ice cream later, I thought I had ruined my appetite for the rest of the day. Boy, was I wrong---I was just starting!

After officially checking into our rooms, we headed over to meet the group after their tour of the sign museum. They had finished the tour early and most were leaving Camp Washington Chili as we arrived. This was probably the fanciest place we went to, high-tech and modern. A surprise sine they had been around since 1940 and I expected a classic looking “joint”. I was happy though to get there when we did however because it gave me some quality time to visit with CajunKing. I had a cheese coney which was definitely better than Dixie Chili. The chili had a decent amount of kick to it and the hot dog seemed better. MH and Lleechef split a four-way which they seemed to enjoy. CajunKing told some fascinating stories about the history of the area and several stories about the area's history in the war.

We worked our way over to the next stop, Blue Ash Chili. I gave the hostess a heads up about the size of our party and asked if they could set aside an area for all of us. They did try, but somehow things still got confused and some of us were seated in a different room. The beer, a local Mount Carmel, was very good. I took a chance and ordered one of my favorite delights, a chili cheese burger.

It was passable, the burger overcooked but the chili nicely seasoned. Some pickled jalapeños added heat. A better choice was MH and Lleechef's 4 way chili with deep fried jalapeños. The peppers were tasty and the breading was nicely done and crunchy. It was the best stop however for getting a chance to talk to more of the group. 

We squeezed in a partial group shot.
It seemed that everyone was too full to go to the last stop, but we all sucked it in and went to Aglamesis Brothers ice cream. There after proclaiming I was too full for even a taste, I wound up taking suggestions and having a scoop of fresh strawberry ice with a scoop of champagne Italian ice. They were both delicious. It was a nice time but filled with goodbyes as many of the group were heading back to their homes early in the morning.

The last meal together for the rest of the group was Sunday morning at the Golden Lamb, Ohio's oldest hotel. In a beautiful classic building, the restaurant had that timeless feel to it. The menu was excellent, some of us shared the fried sauerkraut balls which really tasted excellent. The biscuits and gravy were my choice for breakfast, but I had been intrigued by one of the dishes that had a venison breakfast sausage so I ordered that as a side. The sausage gravy was smooth and creamy with big chunks of sausage in it. The biscuits were a little on the dense side but perfectly baked and delicious. The venison breakfast sausage was nothing short of amazing, with a nice snap to the skin, great flavor and a slightly coarse-ground texture that was perfect. It was an excellent way to end the trip to Cincinnati. 

Fried saurekraut ball

After arriving back in Gahanna, MH took me for lunch to a place I have been wanting to try for years. Yes, I finally tried White Castle. The upside is---I'll never have to try them again. Hours later, my stomach was so messed up I had to spoil our dinner plans. Fortunately, by mid-evening it had (literally) passed and I was ready for Monday's adventure.

We were rapidly running out of time to try all the places we wanted to. After another breakfast with MH at Waffle House, again with some delicious hash browns, we picked up Lleechef and headed towards something I had always wanted to see, the Great Lakes. Our destination was Port Clinton on Lake Erie. On the way, we stooped for a photo op at the G&R Tavern in Waldo.

The plan was to stop again on the way back, where MH could have their famous fried bologna sandwich and I would have a sandwich I'd only found once in California, the famous breaded pork tenderloin sandwich. 

Passing through many small, scenic towns, we reached our destination, the Jolly Roger in Port Clinton. Both Lleechef and MH had raved about their fresh fried walleye and fried perch, neither of which I had ever had. The Jolly Roger has a simple menu. Lleechef had the fried perch plate, MH had the fried walleye plate and I had the Shore Dinner, with a generous helping of both fish. On the side came a delicious house-made tartar sauce and one of the best cole slaws I have ever had, along with a heaping mound of perfectly fried onion rings. I can't say which of the fish was my favorite since they were both excellent, extremely mild, tasty and flaky-tender. I finally gave up. Leaving one onion ring and a roll. I was stuffed to bursting. 

Shore dinner

Walleye Sandwich

Perch and Onion Rings

We headed next to one of Lleechef's favorite places, the Marblehead Lighthouse. The weather had cooperated and it was gorgeous there, with the waves lapping at the rocks in front of the lighthouse and a beautiful blue and white sky. I had finally made it to the Great Lakes and it was a beautiful sight.

We began our trip back, planning on a “snack” at the G&R Tavern. I finally made a tough judgement call. I was still too stuffed to even eat part of a pork tenderloin sandwich and did not want to ruin my appetite for the last meal of the trip, the Gahanna Grill. Even though I hated to, I put the G&R Tavern on the “next time” list. After spending a few hours relaxing at their lovely home in Gahanna, we headed towards the Gahanna Grill.

They are known for their “Beanie Burger”, topped with numerous toppings including cole slaw. We all got burgers, although none of us got a “Beanie Burger”. I got a Mushroom Swiss Burger, which was cooked a nice medium rare and topped with plenty of sauteed mushrooms and a nice slice of Swiss Cheese. On the side was cole slaw and French fries. The place had a very nice, casual vibe and it was easy to see why it was the place of choice for many of the locals.

Mushroom Swiss burger

Cheeseburger

EdSails, Lleechef, MichaelHoffman at Gahanna Grill
I had an early flight Tuesday morning, so we were out of the house before 6AM. Greeting us was a nice layer of snow on MH's truck. After he scraped off the windows I was dropped off at the airport. Security and checkin was a breeze and it looked like perfect timing to be back at LAX by 9am PST. Instead, after we had boarded the plane, they announced that operations had come to a halt.

View from the airplane, on runway at 9am at Port Columbus airport

Two hours and 10 minutes later, after waing in a line while they de-iced each plane in line, we took off. At LAX, poor visibility put us in a landing pattern hold. Finally, at 10:45am, we landed. The adventure was over.

post edited by EdSails - 2014/04/16 23:32:40
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6767
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/16 23:56:50 (permalink)

Lake Erie on a gray, rainy day but the rain stopped briefly so we could take pictures.
ChiBears15
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 99
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/17 01:13:02 (permalink)
Mr. Sails,

That was an epic post.  You are a great photographer.

Danny
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13481
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/17 05:21:03 (permalink)
Ed Sails:  To me the best stop you made was the Jolly Roger in Port Clinton.  I have stopped there many times.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Big_g
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 363
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/17 07:16:26 (permalink)
Danny nailed it....GREAT photo's ED and an outstanding write up.

wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7771
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/17 08:04:43 (permalink)
Ed

Make that 3
Besides the excellent photos, you did an excellent job of summing up   our weekend

I've been very busy (and tired) since I returned home. Since I never have any  down time at work , I'll try to add some commentary and photos this weekend (and begin some other trip reports too)
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 17
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1