Hot!All Roads Lead To Cincinnati

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 9
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/19 20:34:20
EdSails

Michael Hoffman

It was seven. Six plain Castles and one cheese Castle.

I stand corrected!

Oh, for Pete's sake. Don't stand. Sit down and relax. It's Saturday. And when you relax, maybe you'll fall asleep. And then you can dream about White Castles.

lleechef
Sirloin
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/19 20:40:05
Michael Hoffman

EdSails

Michael Hoffman

I stand corrected!

Oh, for Pete's sake. Don't stand. Sit down and relax. It's Saturday. And when you relax, maybe you'll fall asleep. And then you can dream about White Castles.

No, that would be a White Castle nightmare.  Better to dream of Crabills!!!!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/19 20:53:49
I won't argue with that.
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/19 22:52:40
Michael Hoffman

EdSails

Michael Hoffman

I stand corrected!

I wonder if they would be willing to open a Crabill's California?
pnwchef
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/19 22:59:05
Michael Hoffman

I won't argue with that.

That's a first!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/19 23:06:03
pnwchef

Michael Hoffman

I won't argue with that.

That's a first!

Well, you win some and you lose some.

ChiBears15
Hamburger
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/20 10:43:14
Michael Hoffman:  It was great meeting you too in Cincinnati.  I can always count on your posts to be clever and sometimes downright hilarious.  Remember when you wrote "culinarily curious Bangladeshi"?  I am still laughing at that one!  Hopefully we run into one another at a future Roadfood get together.

WanderingJew:  I am glad I got to finally meet a Roadfood legend.  Looking forward to reading your trip reports.  If you are ever in the Chicago area, please let me know.  I will score us Cubs or Sox tickets (I would prefer Sox).  Maybe I will see you in Providence over the summer.

BuffetBuster:  The root beer was completely flat by the time I got it home Sunday morning yet it still tasted wonderful.  However, I am kicking myself for not drinking it fresh on the spot in a frosted mug.  If it was good four days later, I can just imagine how it would taste fresh...  This does give me another reason to visit Indianapolis again this year   The first reason being St. Elmo Steak House (BuddyRoadhouse's description of the place made me add it to my must-visit list).

As for the lemon meringue pie at Nick's, it was not made at the restaurant.  When I inquired about that, the employee told me they get their pies from a local bakery.   
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/20 10:48:50
ChiBears15

I expect we will run into each other. And yes, I do remember the curious Bangladeshi. 
ChiBears15
Hamburger
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/20 12:03:43
Thursday April 10th:

I met up with ChiTownDiner at his hotel at 7:00 am on this day.  I was super excited since we had a full day of eating planned in Southwest Ohio guided by the Almighty Spreadsheet   We hit the highway heading toward downtown Cincinnati for our first breakfast stop of the day: Hathaway's Coffee Shop.

Cincy 13 by dnowak15, on Flickr

Good morning Cincinnati!  We thought the heavy traffic was just the early morning rush of folks heading to work, but as we got closer we saw two badly damaged vehicles in the distance blocking all but one lane on the right.  This was a fresh crash because the authorities had not yet arrived.  Since we were in the left lane, you would think we would have trouble getting all the way over to the right to pass the accident scene. 

Oh no!  Not at all.  CTD, being the professional stunt driver that he is, quickly cut off a pair of drivers and we drove past the damaged vehicles.  As bad as the accident looked, we saw both drivers sitting in their cars waiting for the police to arrive.  I am assuming neither one was seriously injured.

When we finally made it into downtown, we realized that Hathaway's was located in one of the tall buildings. 

Cincy 14 by dnowak15, on Flickr

Finding a parking spot was a nightware, so after about ten minutes of driving around looking for one CTD made the executive decision to skip Hathaway's and head North toward our second breakfast stop.  I agreed with this because we couldn't afford to waste time considering our full schedule. 

Our second breakfast stop was located in the nice town of Lebanon, Ohio.

Cincy 15 by dnowak15, on Flickr

While driving here, CTD and I discussed what each one of us ate the previous day.  I really enjoyed hearing about his visit to Zaharakos.  I am sorry you lost a good portion of your photos from there.

The Breakfast Club is located on Main Street in Lebanon.

Cincy 16 by dnowak15, on Flickr

I ordered the three cheese omelet.

Cincy 17 by dnowak15, on Flickr

CTD went with the cinnamon raisin pancakes.

Cincy 19 by dnowak15, on Flickr

When we were looking at the specials of the day, we noticed the seven spice homemade sausage, so we ordered a side of that as well. 

Cincy 18 by dnowak15, on Flickr

What can I say about this meal?  Wow!  Just wow!  This was one of the best meals I had on the entire trip.  The omelet was cooked perfectly and was topped with fresh cheese.  Maybe the best one I've ever had the pleasure of eating.  CTD's pancakes also shined.  Fluffy the way I like my pancakes with a great taste.  They must have used a fine batter. 

Surprisingly, we agreed that the seven spice sausage was superior to the omelet and the pancakes.  I am so glad we found it in the specials section.  Now I knew this restaurant would be good if CTD put in on the spreadsheet, but I had no idea it would be this delicious. 

Overall, I am giving this place an A for the food, service (our waitress was great), and atmosphere (the place was crowded yet not noisy).  I would give it an A+ except two places later in the day were slightly better believe it or not. 

Much more to come.
Davidsanders
Cheeseburger
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/20 13:04:00
Lebanon is a beautiful little town. I used to go there fairly regularly for antiquing, staying at the wonderful Golden Lamb hotel, but I have too much stuff now, plus most of the really good shops have closed. We would generally have dinner at the Golden Lamb restaurant, but once a Skyline Chili opened there, we almost always went there.

ChiBears15

Thursday April 10th:

Our second breakfast stop was located in the nice town of Lebanon, Ohio.

Cincy 15 by dnowak15, on Flickr

While driving here, CTD and I discussed what each one of us ate the previous day.  I really enjoyed hearing about his visit to Zaharakos.  I am sorry you lost a good portion of your photos from there.

The Breakfast Club is located on Main Street in Lebanon.

Cincy 16 by dnowak15, on Flickr

I ordered the three cheese omelet.

Cincy 17 by dnowak15, on Flickr

CTD went with the cinnamon raisin pancakes.

Cincy 19 by dnowak15, on Flickr

When we were looking at the specials of the day, we noticed the seven spice homemade sausage, so we ordered a side of that as well. 

Cincy 18 by dnowak15, on Flickr

What can I say about this meal?  Wow!  Just wow!  This was one of the best meals I had on the entire trip.  The omelet was cooked perfectly and was topped with fresh cheese.  Maybe the best one I've ever had the pleasure of eating.  CTD's pancakes also shined.  Fluffy the way I like my pancakes with a great taste.  They must have used a fine batter. 

Surprisingly, we agreed that the seven spice sausage was superior to the omelet and the pancakes.  I am so glad we found it in the specials section.  Now I knew this restaurant would be good if CTD put in on the spreadsheet, but I had no idea it would be this delicious. 

Overall, I am giving this place an A for the food, service (our waitress was great), and atmosphere (the place was crowded yet not noisy).  I would give it an A+ except two places later in the day were slightly better believe it or not. 

Much more to come.

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/20 13:23:58
You're right. That omelet is done perfectly -- not the slightest bit of color.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/20 13:27:51
ChiBears15-
Long live the spreadsheet!!!

The Breakfast Club in Lebanon is a sister location of a restaurant the Sterns once reviewed in Dayton.  Cousin Johnny and I made it to the Dayton one only once and absolutely loved our breakfast, especially the excellent potato pancakes.  Unfortunately, they closed down a few years ago.

Good stuff Danny, keep it up! 
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/20 13:51:47
boy Danny, I wish we'd joined you for that breakfast. What kind of spices were in the seven-spice sausage?
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/20 14:04:48
I'm glad to hear The Breakfast Club is still doing well.  I last ate there a few years back and the food was excellent then, too.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/20 18:26:35
Now There's a question for the next late night RF trivia quiz...

How many Spices in the Breakfast Club's 7-Spice Sausage ?

karilyn
Cheeseburger
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/20 19:06:57
Thank you CajunKing for initiating and planning this wonderful gathering!!!  I had a great time, as did my sister who happens to live in Blue Ash.  It was great seeing so many iconic roadfooder's and it was wonderful meeting up and coming ones!!!  I'm enjoying everyone's posts and I am a bit embarrassed by my lack of skills to post pictures.  The food was great . . . the people and conversations were even better!  I am looking forward to future gatherings!

I know there are many Graeter's fans but I actually liked the ice cream at Aglamesis Bros better.   But, I ordered different flavors at each place so it wasn't a very scientific comparison!  Pleasant Ridge was my favorite food stop.  I'm guessing I would have said Camp Washington had it been their original structure.  I'm all about ambiance!

Thank you to BuddyRoadhouse for the barbecue sauce.  Linda and I each received a different flavor so another taste comparison is in order.

And thank you PieDiva for starting us off on the right foot.  I'm a follower of dessert first!

And finally, thank you for the Chili Crawl Band bracelet.  A nice touch!

Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/20 19:08:10
mayor al
Now There's a question for the next late night RF trivia quiz...
How many Spices in the Breakfast Club's 7-Spice Sausage ?

Bonus Points: Can you name all of them?
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/20 19:45:06
Thursday April 10th:
Danny and I headed out early as he indicated and the drive AFTER leaving downtown Cinci was opposite the flow of traffic, smooth and new territory for the both of us.
The Breakfast Club is at the north end of town right on Main Street and that's exactly the vibe conveyed.  Folks coming and going and everybody saying hi to each other.

This was a really good food stop and the cinnamon pancakes were smellable at 10 paces! 

The raisins were both in the batter as well as on top of the pancakes, and the cinnamon was intoxicating!  I had planned on finishing half of a short stack but ended up ordering a full stack...and between us, we finished 'em!
While I am not sure of the exact 7 herbs in the home-made sausage, sage was the dominant flavor and we were both hooked!  We were treated like family by a staff that was just so naturally friendly.  I am in at a solid B+ for the food, service, ambiance and friendly atmosphere!
After breakfast, out next stop was scheduled to open at 10:00am giving us about 20 minutes to kill.  Driving into town we noticed a train parked just a short walk to our next stop so we took the 2 block walk down Main Street. 

There was a 6 car train plus locomotive and caboose parked on two sides of a cross street.  Looks like they hook 'em up for tourist trips on special occasions.

Found this old gas station just across the street from the old terminal which is now home to the Garden Club!
Our next stop opened for the day at 10am and was the locally famous Golden Turtle Chocolate Factory...and yes, dark chocolate orange peel is my favorite!

Inside views...

Well, this is a small weakness in my armor and after $39 exchanged hands, we left with a small shopping bag of many chocolate treats...I am such a sucker for chocolate samples.  These candies lived up to reputation and score an A- for the fantastic flavor.  In the interest of science, I taste tested half a dozen varieties!
After The Golden Turtle, we walked back to the car via Main Street and had a chance to take a peek at our Sunday brunch location...

The Golden Lamb Inn.  We're just starting our day...

ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/20 19:50:29
Davidsanders - We enjoyed Lebanon and while we only visited for a short while, we did drive and walk around and got a really good feel to the town!  Our brunch at the Golden Lamb comes up on Sunday!
post edited by ChiTownDiner - 2014/04/20 21:20:29
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/20 19:57:50
Ed, lleechef and Michael - I would love Schmidt's...those plates look fantastic!  I had a three sausage sampler last night with a veal brat, thuringer and a knockwurst! 
post edited by ChiTownDiner - 2014/04/20 21:15:06
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/20 21:34:52
ChiBears15 ...This does give me another reason to visit Indianapolis again this year   The first reason being St. Elmo Steak House (BuddyRoadhouse's description of the place made me add it to my must-visit list)
Wait 'til you read about our Indianapolis Breaded Pork Tenderloin stop on the way home from Cincinnati.  Then you'll have two reasons to go there.

Buddy
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/20 22:38:51
ChiTownDiner

Ed, lleechef and Michael - I would love Schmidt's...those plates look fantastic!  I had a three sausage sampler last night with a veal brat, thuringer and a knockwurst! 

You have to come to Columbus for a Bahama Mama.  And the potato pancakes.....and the fresh applesauce.........and the ohm-pa-pa roving band.......and on and on! 
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/20 23:14:52
ChiTownDiner

CTD----it was an awesome way to start my visit. They scored with Schmidt's!
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/21 08:21:27
Thursday April 10th cont.:
After returning to our car in Lebanon, we continued driving north to the town of Centerville and the 24 donut shop named Bill's.  As we were driving, we found many of our early stops and several more coming to be relatively in a straight line.  While there was some degree of planning in this, we also pictured Jane and Michael driving along this same route many years ago and discovering some of these gems in their unique, small towns!
As I live in Chicago, many times 24 hour establishments are a little rough around the edges.  Not so with Bill's Donut Shop.  They are situated in a well kept, smallish strip mall and the inside is much larger than expected with a large amount of seating and at least one large side room for additional seating.

There are several display cases all completely filled with beautiful donuts and many more choices on the back wall. 

We picked up a dozen and my favorite was the Sour Cream...it was great!  So many of us have no alternative but a Dunkin Donuts and they have really shrunk in size over the years.  This takes you back to a real sized donut and they all were bursting with the selected flavors.  Bill's comes in at a strong A-!  Next up...the Hamburger Wagon!
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/21 09:06:37
My memory of the one and only visit to Bill's is being surprised how big it was and the young girls who waited on me being astonished I had never been there before.  Bill's is definitely a great stop!
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/21 10:12:28
Thursday April 10th cont.:
Next up and after a short drive to Miamisburg, the Hamburger Wagon.

Set outdoors near a main intersection, folks line up early for their sacks of little burgers.  There is even a "holding" area for cars to temporarily park while the drivers get in line...everybody waits in line!

The menu is short and sweet...single or double, self serve out of the bottled water cooler or soda cooler and self serve potato chips...but we were here for the burgers...with "No stinkin cheese or sloppy sauces!"

It's a 2 man operation with the back fellow wok frying the burgers to a crazy crispness.  He is also the slicer guy for onions and continuously slices onions on the mandolin between burger flips.  The other fellow preps the buns with a criss cross of sliced dill pickle, raw onion rings and a heavy handed sprinkle of salt & pepper.

The buns are a really fluffy slider sized bun and here's a look at the double.  I got one of each and the double is really needed to balancer the bun and condiments as these are pretty small as evidence by the sacks people were leaving with.
The crispness provides a good chew and while not on my favorite burger list, the uniqueness of this type of operation nets a B.  Not many of these around! 
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/21 12:37:39
CTD-
It seems I am a bigger fan of Hamburger Wagon than you.  I love those sausagy little burgers!
mlm
Cheeseburger
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/21 12:49:25
I am so enjoying this post. I love Hamburger Wagon' motto. Catchy.
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/21 13:02:57
buffetbuster

CTD-
It seems I am a bigger fan of Hamburger Wagon than you.  I love those sausagy little burgers!

Mine were cooked all the way thru to crunch...like a potato chip.  It removed most of the sausagy flavor leaving just crisp behind!

buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/21 13:17:48
CTD-
That's too bad.  Mine weren't like that at all.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/21 20:52:54
ChiBears15
Hamburger
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/22 00:04:37
BuddyRoadhouse:  Please tell us more about this breaded pork tenderloin stop you made in Indianapolis.  Pics help as well!

EdSails:  Sage was the dominant flavor in the sausage at the Breakfast Club.  I think I also tasted oregano in there, but I am terrible at discerning specific ingredients in food.  The only thing you need to know is that the sausage at the Breakfast Club is a real winner

Danny
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/22 08:33:14
I left work at 11:30 on the Thursday, picking up wanderingjew outside baggage claim of the Pittsburgh airport 45 minutes later.  There were two possibilities for lunch, the Roadfood reviewed Mehlman Cafeteria, which I have been to many times or Theo's Restaurant in Cambridge, Ohio.  Since neither of us had been to Theo's, that became the consensus choice.  I had high hopes for this place, since I first found out about it in a tweet from Pittsburgh's own Rick Sebak, where he extolled the pies.

Theo's

is a large place, taking up multiple store fronts in the downtown area.  Since we were an hour or so after typical lunch time, the place wasn't too busy.  The menu is rather large, but after looking it over, we settled on the specials

paper clipped to the front of the menu.

The first things out of the kitchen was WJ's chili

(which he called his favorite item here) and my coney hot dog. 

The menu brags they have been making coneys for over 80 years and that they make their sauce.  Right away, I liked the fact that the chili was different than the coney sauce, since so many places would see them as interchangeable.  The onions on the coney tasted fresh and the sauce was heavy on the pebbly meat.  Nicely seasoned, without any heat, this was a good coney sauce.  WJ also received a pleasant cucumber-tomato salad

as a side.

My entrée was the creamed chicken over biscuit. 

I am always drawn to this type of comfort food.  Unfortunately, there was too much biscuit in this dish and not nearly enough chicken.  For $6.99 though, it is hard to complain.  My two sides were the buttered red potatoes and the buttered corn. 

And when they say butter, they aren't kidding, since it was the overwhelming flavor in both vegetables.  Solly's Grille in Milwaukee would have approved these sides.

WJ ordered the cabbage rolls

in a tangy tomato gravy.  We both generally liked these, but there was something about them that was missing.  It was almost as if a non-Eastern European made them and forgot an important ingredient or spice. 

Finally, it was time to eat some pie!  Here is the pie list from the menu and they had a few other flavors listed on a card at our booth.  WJ went with a sugar-free pie. 

Truthfully, I can't remember if this was key lime or some kind of lemon.  Either way, it wasn't very impressive.  It was still miles ahead of the gloppy mess which passed as the banana cream. 

I got about three bites into it before giving up.  It was very disappointing.

When we first sit down, I had texted Johnny (who we were picking up at the Columbus airport in a few hours) and asked him what kind of pie he wanted.  He chose the chocolate peanut butter

and I couldn't help but sneak a look at what we would be delivering to him.  Now, this looked much better and Johnny happily devoured it when we handed it to him upon arrival.

Did you ever have a restaurant switch servers on you halfway through the meal?  That happened to us at Theo's.  We started off with a woman around our age and then a younger man started refilling our drinks and asking about our meal.  Some may suggest it was a shift change at the restaurant, but I'm thinking WJ did something to scare her off!

Even though the meal at Theo's was overall disappointing, there were enough good things to give them another try.  BTW, we found out later that Ralph and Lori were on the road at the same time we were and ate at Mehlman Cafeteria.  Had we known, we would have made plans to dine with them.

After a half hour wait at the cell phone lot at the Columbus airport, we picked up Johnny and took off for Henry's in West Jefferson, where CTD, ChiBears15 and a table full of excellent pies were waiting for us!        
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/22 08:45:23
buffetbuster

Finally, it was time to eat some pie!  Here is the pie list from the menu and they had a few other flavors listed on a card at our booth.  WJ went with a sugar-free pie. 

Truthfully, I can't remember if this was key lime or some kind of lemon.  Either way, it wasn't very impressive.  It was still miles ahead of the gloppy mess which passed as the banana cream. 

buffetbuster,

That was actually sugar free banana- you are correct, as far as pies go it wasn't very impressive. As far as sugar free pies go...well it's about as good as it gets...
The chili was easily my favorite part of the meal... a classic midwestern style chili, with more flavor than spice.
The peanut butter pie was no slouch either, as cousin Johnny offered me  a bite,  but certainly not in the same category as Henry's
post edited by wanderingjew - 2014/04/22 08:46:40
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/22 09:54:36
buffetbuster
My entrée was the creamed chicken over biscuit.
I just knew one of you was going to order this!
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/22 11:10:23
WJ-
So your pie was also banana?  Wow, they really were train wrecks.....
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/22 11:18:19
I had no idea Theo's had moved into a new place. I used to eat at Theo's back in the '80s and '90s when it was around the corner on 209.
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/22 11:19:37
We often stopped in Cambridge on our way back from PA.......mainly to stretch our legs, grab a beverage, use the rest rooms, then back onto I70.  I'm glad we never went to Theo's! 
Yesterday we had a couple of Coneys at Phillip's Coney Island (been there since 1912) in Columbus which looked better than Theo's.  We got ours topped with pepper Jack cheese.  Their pies are made by Der Dutchman......but I'll save my calories for Henry's!
Ralph Melton
Double Cheeseburger
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/22 13:39:07
While buffetbuster and wanderingjew were at Theo's, we were at Mehlman Cafeteria. We had eaten at Mehlman before, and considered it a solid but not outstanding place - but this visit pushed it up into really good.

I had Salisbury steak, cabbage and noodles, and raisin pie. I cannot remember the last time I had Salisbury steak - it's not something I make at home, I don't eat TV dinners often, and I rarely see it on a restaurant menu. But this was really good, very juicy and flavorful, with lots of tasty mushrooms.

The raisin pie is something I've only had at Mehlman Cafeteria. Let me tell you: this slice of pie held its own with the slices we had later at Henry's. The crust was very well done, nicely tender and flaky, and the filling had an intense winy flavor.  
by Ralph Melton, on Flickr

Lori got the chicken and stuffing, broccoli-cheese casserole, and cheesecake. The chicken and stuffing was very good - the chicken was juicy in a way that heat-lamped chicken often is not, and the stuffing was much more flavorful than most. The broccoli-cheese casserole was also lovely comfort-food goodness. The cheesecake, though, was bland and tasted like the Jello no-bake cheesecake mix.
Untitled by Ralph Melton, on Flickr

Also: Mehlman is cheap. We got these meals and desserts for about the cost of a dessert-less meal at Boston Market.

This was much better than we expected, and we would be more interested in returning again.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/22 13:47:27
Yeah, we should have gone to Mehlman Cafeteria with Ralph and Lori, if for no other reason than that raisin pie.  My typical order there is the ham loaf, which is outstanding!
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/22 13:50:36
Thursday, April 10th  cont.:
After a short walk around Miamisburg, we were off to our next destination in the town of Clifton.  As a wise Roadfood sage told me, the food is okay but the scenery is fantastic....and was buffetbuster ever right!  An old mill, Clifton Mill is a full service restaurant with a beautiful antique interior. 

Our lunch view from our table...we both had the bacon grilled cheese and ice teas.  Iced Tea was served in large mason jars and our sandwich was pretty good!  (Sorry, pictures lost and hoping Danny will add his)

Looking at the restaurant....you can see the tree is covered in lights and for that matter, the entire place is also covered in them.  Must be beautiful at night!

The covered bridge...

The old black smith shop across the street...
We both enjoyed the step back into time and the food was (small sample as we had the same) was a B, but the setting an A!

buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/22 13:53:21
Great shots of Clifton Mill CTD!  You should see the place at Christmas!
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/22 14:00:00
Next up, from back in time to back to nature...

Young's Jersey Dairy is just about 15 minutes fro Clifton Mill on the outskirts of the town of Yellow Springs.  These gals provide all the milk needed to create some awfully good ice cream. 

Hot fudge with peach and salted caramel.  This working farm is open to the public and features barns for viewing, baseball diamonds, a restaurant & pub as well as the ice cream area.  We were in heaven! Young's lays claim to an A- for ice cream! 

Many Roadfooders are unfamiliar with Wandering Jew's mooing propensity!  He has always been able to attract faster table service by just...mooing, so we got him signed up for the next Doo Your Moo contest!  Little do they know there is now a ringer in the mix!  BTW...he is also very good with a suey or two!
Now it becomes decision time...and we know exactly what our priorities are! 
post edited by ChiTownDiner - 2014/04/22 14:16:07
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/22 14:06:56
Roz and I have stopped at Young's Jersey Dairy Farm several times.  Great creamy ice cream full of butter fat.  Always a great stop.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/22 14:10:29
Here is a shot of Clifton Mill's Christmas lights which number 3.5 million.

http://www.cliftonmill.com/christmas.htm

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/22 14:15:18
We had 5 more stops scheduled before our 6pm rendezvous...so we checked the trusty GPS and audibled Schuler's Bakery in nearby Springfield.  We went with the original even though baking is now down at a satellite location just to experience the true ambiance!  With it late in the day, the shop was empty but the shelves were still full...we picked up a small box of approximately 8-10 pieces to go and we were on our way.  A retro stop, Schuler's Bakery comes in at C+.

Next we headed due north to West Liberty which meant skipping the Mel-O-Dee Restaurant in New Carlisle and the Liberty Gathering Place in West Liberty.  We opted for The Ice Cream Parlor as time was critical and we had one must do stop before 6pm.  Peach and cherry are my two most favorite ice cream flavors and I went with both.  It's not often I throw out my selection, but this ice cream was just plain bad!  Maybe it was the previous stop at Young's Jersey Dairy, maybe it was freezer burn, but after 5-6 spoonfuls, it was garbage bound.  A grade of D!

We hustled up some gas and soon were on the way to Urbana through which we had just driven enroute to West Liberty.  A Michael Hoffman favorite, and already chronicled by Ed Sails, we hit Crabill's.  We got 2 of the 8 stools as there was no one else in the shop.  It was sort of an off time being just before dinner.  I started with a couple of singles and then added a double for the sake of comparison.  These were griddled little burgers at their finest!  I had mine with ketchup, onion, relish and mustard, onion, relish enjoying each for different reasons.  Clearly the winner was the double with cheese!  Crabill's comes in with an A!

Hoping Danny provides some much needed photos here! The staff was a hoot and kidded around with us before we left! 

Now...it's pedal to the medal as we race destiny!

post edited by ChiTownDiner - 2014/04/22 17:32:59
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/22 14:26:31
CTD:  I started a pharma business there about ten years ago and it was one block from Schuler's.  I always went there early in the morning.  It was the one on Main St and I guess the original.  Ten years ago what I got was always A+. I spent a whole bunch of time in Ohio, Columbus, Dayton Cleveland, Springfield, Toledo and Canton.  I started pharmaceutical business in each of these.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/22 14:35:57
ChiTownDiner,
I've been passing Schuler's Bakery for several years on the way from Crabill's to Henry's and never thought to stop. Thanks for the tip.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/22 15:34:43
ChiTownDiner 

Many Roadfooders are unfamiliar with Wandering Jew's mooing propensity!  He has always been able to attract faster table service by just...mooing,
so we got him signed up for the next Doo Your Moo contest!  Little do they know there is now a ringer in the mix! 

I learned from cousin Mona!

ChiTownDiner
 BTW...
he is also very good with a suey or two!

I'm still trying to figure out why when ever I yell out "sooo---eeeee"- Chi Town Diner starts running towards me?

buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/22 15:39:51
I got tipped off to Schuler's Bakery one night at the Pine Club.  They have a great neon sign out front that looks especially good first thing in the morning. 
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/22 17:31:41
Sundancer7

Roz and I have stopped at Young's Jersey Dairy Farm several times.  Great creamy ice cream full of butter fat.  Always a great stop.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Paul - did either of you Do The Moo? 
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/22 17:35:46
Sundancer7

CTD:  I started a pharma business there about ten years ago and it was one block from Schuler's.  I always went there early in the morning.  It was the one on Main St and I guess the original.  Ten years ago what I got was always A+. I spent a whole bunch of time in Ohio, Columbus, Dayton Cleveland, Springfield, Toledo and Canton.  I started pharmaceutical business in each of these.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Love it Paul!  Not sure if things dried out a little from the typical early morning baking schedules, but it sure was an eye opening stop.  Schuler's has really gotten into the cupcake and fancy cookie business as there was hundreds of each!  We were wondering how frequently they sell out the inventory. 

ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/22 17:36:46
wanderingjew

ChiTownDiner 

Many Roadfooders are unfamiliar with Wandering Jew's mooing propensity!  He has always been able to attract faster table service by just...mooing,
so we got him signed up for the next Doo Your Moo contest!  Little do they know there is now a ringer in the mix! 

I learned from cousin Mona!

ChiTownDiner
BTW...
he is also very good with a suey or two!

I'm still trying to figure out why when ever I yell out "sooo---eeeee"- Chi Town Diner starts running towards me?

Purely reflex...

And thanks to Mona!
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/22 17:37:32
buffetbuster

I got tipped off to Schuler's Bakery one night at the Pine Club.  They have a great neon sign out front that looks especially good first thing in the morning. 

The sign is very cool and I know Danny got a few pictures of it!
ChiBears15
Hamburger
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/22 19:50:11
Thursday, April 10th (continued):

Here are some more photos from our visit to Bill's Donut Shop.

Cincy 20 by dnowak15, on Flickr

Cincy 21 by dnowak15, on Flickr

Cincy 22 by dnowak15, on Flickr

Of the dozen we purchased, I think we only tried two and they were delicious.  We saved the rest for the Roadfooders we were going to see over the next couple of days.  Since this was a 24 hour donut operation, I expected to see an old, grimy building where stoned frat boys would be hanging out.  LOL I'm just kidding. 

The building looks new and the inside is clean.  I am giving Bill's an A- grade in agreement with CTD.

The Hamburger Wagon was one of the most unique Roadfood locations I have visited.

Cincy 23 by dnowak15, on Flickr

Cincy 24 by dnowak15, on Flickr

Cincy 25 by dnowak15, on Flickr

As you can see from the previous photo, the burger patty is burnt to a crisp and has no juice to it whatsoever.  This is not what I expected, but it was a pleasant surprise that tasted great.  I ordered only one single here to preserve my appetite for the remainder of the day (I still had to eat pie and steak with buffetbuster and wanderingjew later on " />). 

Overall, I am giving the Hamburger Wagon a B+ grade.  A few minutes after we left, I regretted not ordering two of these.  Here are some photos of us attacking our burgers.

Cincy 26 by dnowak15, on Flickr

Cincy 27 by dnowak15, on Flickr

Does CTD always smile at his food before he eats it?

Cincy 28 by dnowak15, on Flickr

Cincy 29 by dnowak15, on Flickr

Lastly, here is photo of a mural in Miamisburg that you see as you drive into town.

Cincy 30 by dnowak15, on Flickr

Much more to come.

Danny
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/22 20:01:05
Very realistic and great mural in Miamisburg.  I have never been there.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN 
ChiBears15
Hamburger
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/22 20:20:32
Mr. Smith,

It it interesting that you say the mural looks realistic because the two of us actually thought those were real people when we were further away.  It wasn't until we got closer that we realized it was just a mural.  Awesome experience! 

Danny
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/22 20:29:48
Beautiful photos Danny!
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/22 20:59:05
ChiBears15

Does CTD always smile at his food before he eats it?

Cincy 28 by dnowak15, on Flickr

Much more to come.

Danny

I've always wondered if the food is smiling before being devoured by CTD

ChiBears15
Hamburger
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/22 21:36:33
Thursday, April 10th (continued):

During the drive over to the Clifton Mill, one of the funniest moments of the trip occurred.  CTD, worried that Henry's would run out of pie by the time we arrived later in the evening, called the restaurant to reserve some slices for us and the contingent of three arriving from Pittsburgh. 

I have never seen a grown man struggle so hard with a decision like this LOL.  I know he wanted to just say, "I want all the pie.  Save all the slices for us."  He chose well and reserved 11 delicious slices.  Pics coming later.

The Clifton Mill.

Cincy 31 by dnowak15, on Flickr

Cincy 32 by dnowak15, on Flickr

CTD and I both ordered grilled cheese sandwiches.  It was his idea to add bacon (naturally).  The sandwich was average and could have used more cheese.  The Clifton Mill gets a grade of a B from me mostly for the appearance of the place.  The food won't blow you away, but the view of the river will! 

A big thanks to sundancer7 for providing the link to the image of the Clifton Mill all lit up.  While we were there, we mentioned how we would like to see the place at night when all the lights are turned on.

Our next stop was Young's Jersey Dairy in Yellow Springs.

Cincy 33 by dnowak15, on Flickr

Cincy 34 by dnowak15, on Flickr

Cincy 35 by dnowak15, on Flickr

Cincy 36 by dnowak15, on Flickr

My pics don't show it, but Young's is a massive complex.  They have a full service restaurant, an ice cream store (where they also sell cheese and chocolate), a petting zoo, and the actual working farm.  Based on some signs we saw, Young's also teaches farming classes. 

The petting zoo was awesome. 

Cincy 37 by dnowak15, on Flickr

You see that cute little guy in the picture above?  Unfortunately for him, BuddyRoadhouse ate his mom at the Pine Club later on that evening

As for the ice cream here, I ordered lemon custard.  Fantastic! 

Cincy 38 by dnowak15, on Flickr

Young's gets an A- grade from me.  In addition to the delicious ice cream, the employees were friendly and the petting zoo was a nice experience.  Definitely bring the kids here!  My one regret here is not getting a photo of the lazy-eyed goat that looked as if it was laughing at CTD...  Haha remember that guy Gregg?

Much more to come.

Danny
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 9