Hot!All Roads Lead To Cincinnati

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 17
Author
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7897
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/18 10:36:07 (permalink)
ChiBears15

Great job with your photos and report so far. I enjoyed meeting you and hope you can visit us in Southern New England in the near future.

I am going to do my pre and post Cincinnati ventures in two separate trip reports (only because I have creative titles)
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18642
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/18 10:41:21 (permalink)
Yeah, Lynn. You should have been there. We missed you.

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/18 10:43:41 (permalink)
ChiBears15
I don't know about a problem with your camera -- the pictures looked appetizing to me. It was great to finally meet you, and I look forward to getting together again.
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7016
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/18 10:47:20 (permalink)
wanderingjew

I am going to do my pre and post Cincinnati ventures in two separate trip reports (only because I have creative titles)

Yay!  A wj trip report......not one but two!  Looking forward to it!!! 

wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7897
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/18 11:13:00 (permalink)
lleechef

wanderingjew

Yay!  A wj trip report......not one but two!  Looking forward to it!!! 

They're going to be very short reports.

I'm probably going to do complete those before I do the Virginia trip report
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/18 11:18:16 (permalink)
Well hurry up. Your reports are always terrific.
brisketboy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1117
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/18 11:38:52 (permalink)
Yeah, what Michael Hoffman said. Good think looking at pictures of food doesn't put the pounds on.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10324
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/18 15:48:17 (permalink)
brisketboy
Yeah, what Michael Hoffman said. Good think looking at pictures of food doesn't put the pounds on.

Yes it does! It's called reverse osmosis weight!
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2986
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/19 09:52:28 (permalink)
Wednesday April 9th (continued):
After a short 30 minute ride back across I-65 to the east side, I entered the town of Columbus, Indiana towards the end of lunch hour and the town was hopping!  It was a mid 60's day and everyone was out walking...nice to see a small downtown area thriving.  Every block had ongoing construction...
My destination was Zaharakos located at 329 Washington Street which had opened in 1900 as a soda fountain and candy store!  As mentioned previously, I had a camera melt down the following day and several photos were lost including most of these. 
Upon entering, I was struck by both the beauty and size of the store.  With every inch completely renovated from front to back, it's a thing of beauty and certainly museum quality. 

SORRY>>>PICTURE WILL NOT REMAIN.
Here's a view just inside the front door.  The front area is a soda fountain and there several folks enjoying a scoop or two!  Midway back is the restaurant and it was pretty much full.  Behind it (just behind the organ in the back center) are 2 more rooms with a family size Coca Cola table for 10 or so and a small party room for 25.  Not seen, but adjacent to the right is another storefront that contains a museum quality collection of period soda fountain items and it is situated in a party room seating another 50...and it was full.  Upstairs is another party room for 100-150 and fully restored owners apartment set back in 1900. Note the chandelier in the foreground...these we purchased in upstate New York and were wired for electricity as part of the renovation.
I choose to sit at the front counter hoping for as much interaction as possible.  After inquiring about food at the ice cream counter, I was told by Wilma (my server) that everything is available...great customer service!  Wilma appears to be the senior employee at the soda fountain as most of the other employees were young girls.  Every ice cream and soda creation passes her critical eye and several "adjustments" were made to presentation and portion size while I was learning!

Here's a look at one (of many) of the soda fountains located throughout the store/museum.  It is no longer in use having been "decommissioned" by the Health Department.  Today, all soda concoctions are made by shot glass from a large selection of syrups and extracts attractively presented in antique period glass bottles.

I went with a very, cherry cola and it was superb.  There are literally 100's of combinations and Wilma fixed me up with a CinnaBall which had a uniquely spicy taste along with a strong cinnamon flavor!
I asked Wilma if there were any food items I should try on my visit and she mentioned the Gom burger (more in a second) and the Artisan Grilled Cheese & Avocado which has cheese both inside and on the outside of the sandwich and forms a creamy bond with the aforementioned avocado!  My choice was easy and I ordered up the Gom Cheese-Brr-Grr which adds cheese to the Gom Burger for an extra half buck.

In simple terms, we've got a grilled cheese sandwich with sloppy Joe inside.  As I love both, this was a winning combination for me! 
While I ate, Wilma asked if I was interested in history and after replying yes, she spent the next 30 minutes filling me in on the history of the entire business as well as continually over seeing all the fountain items. 

A loaded tray heading out to create smiles...

An antique lamp right next to me....

One of 4 (I believe) player organs and all are restored and working.  They turned this one on for me and those of you on my Facebook page can hear it play.  It's also playing on their web page.
After an hour or so of history and checking out the display items, Wilma secured the key to the upstairs apartment and I received a guided tour of the fully restored owner's apartment.  Sadly, here is where approximately 50 photos were lost...

The bench just inside the front door...

The music room has over 300 working music scrolls as well as a 3rd working player organ and something I have never seen before, a player violin!  This room is so unique as all 4 walls are lined with a instrument collection as well as the scroll cabinets.

The master bedroom...
Lost in the disaster...the huge, wooden crank telephone, the pull chain toilet, the unbelievable window treatments, the kitchen with all the wooden ice box doors preserved but a real refrigerator built inside and my favorite, a picture of Wilma next to the original Christmas Tree still standing and decorated in the living room!  And lots more...
After heading back downstairs, I took pictures of a few more of the over 10 complete soda fountains on display throughout the facility and then it was dessert time...

Cherry ice cream with hot fudge on the bottom and in the side car along with whipped cream and cherry for sure! 
Zaharakos is currently open seven days a week and information can be found at www.zaharakos.com along with lots more pictures and a full menu.  Please ask for Wilma as she is a fountain expert, a Zaharakos historian and a genuinely warm and caring person! 
While I had nearly 50 more Roadfood stops to look forward to, I was sad to leave as there was hours of information to still access. Zaharakos gets a B+ for food, an A- for ice cream, an A for history and A+ for combined experience!...and a promise I'll be back! 
post edited by ChiTownDiner - 2014/04/20 19:53:06
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/19 09:54:45 (permalink)
Tried to post picture by itself and it will not...sorry.

post edited by ChiTownDiner - 2014/04/19 09:56:19
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/19 10:28:56 (permalink)
Wednesday April 9th (continued):
After a leisurely 2 hour ride from Columbus, Indiana, I pulled into the outskirts of Cinci ready for action!  My first stop would be Mr. Gene's Dog House....

Set in an urban area, Mr Gene's was empty as I pulled in but filled up as I dined in my car.  As Coney's would be in abundance throughout the weekend, I went with a Chicago Dog and a cherry malt.  (pix lost)  The Chicago dog was minus the poppy seed bun and the owner fessed up right away.  My only complaint was the bun had been steamed and allowed to harden.  I really dislike a hard, dry hot dog bun.  The cherry malt was satisfactory and overall we had a C+ experience.

I passed several of these...

Some one named Ed Sails must be coming to town as they all had Welcome Ed Sails signs in the windows and on the marquees! 
After locating my hotel and checking in, I was off to The Root Beer Stand!  Conveniently located just a few minutes from my hotel in Blue Ash, I was all in on the Big E...

...which is an American Cheese burger with grilled ham and Swiss on it.  Had my first Coney of the trip also which was so good...

...and washed it all down with some of their fine Root Beer.  It's a fun place to visit with counter seating only (also tables outside) and the food arrives very quickly so turnover is fast!  Food and ambiance grade a B. 
Heading back to the hotel, I looked at The Spreadsheet and realized I had 15 stops for tomorrow...so it was early to bed as I knew meeting up with ChiBear15, Danny would be putting me through the paces the next day! 

ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/19 10:34:54 (permalink)
mayor al

Gregg- We were at the IUPUI (pronounced Ouueee Poouuuee) the acronym for Ind. University/Purdue University-Indianapolis Med Center getting the 6 month probe and check up on the earlier tumor removal. Looking good.   But I wasn't allowed a Shapiro's visit this trip so I missed a chance to meet up with you as you rolled thru town.

Sorry we won't be headed for Cincsy this weekend, but I need a few days after the internal probing to get back to moving around at all.  Have fun folks. I look forward to all the details being shared here.
Lisa-  Loved the Halibut photo on FB
Al

Hi Al - just catching up and am so glad to hear the good news!  Keep it coming - Gregg
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/19 10:37:05 (permalink)
The Root Beer Stand was close to the hotel? Darn!
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10400
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/19 10:45:47 (permalink)
Beautiful stuff CTD!  Glad you had such a great experience at Zaharako's.  I have been there a handful of times over the years and once since they reopened and I never got to see the upstairs.  Way to work that CTD magic!  That's a real shame about the lost photos.

Looking forward to more....
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/19 10:50:14 (permalink)
ChiBears15-
Enjoying your write up so far Danny!  How did the root beer from Mug 'N Bun hold up.  I love the stuff, but found that when I buy gallons to take home, it almost always goes flat.  Did you have any problem with that. 

And that slice of lemon meringue pie from Nick's Chili Parlor pretty good.  Do you think it was homemade?
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/19 10:56:16 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner 
Heading back to the hotel, I looked at The Spreadsheet and realized I had 15 stops for tomorrow...so it was early to bed as I knew meeting up with ChiBear15, Danny would be putting me through the paces the next day! 

No doubt about that, which I saw firsthand on Friday.  Just when we thought we were done eating, Danny would insist on us squeezing in just one more food stop.  I thought you were very brave under the pressure to keep dining! 
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/19 11:13:27 (permalink)
EdSails  I did mutter some things under my breath though, when I found out BB and pals had bought 11 pies the night before, leaving us with not much of a choice. Brandi, our waitress, described the scene to us from the night before.   

Ed, I imagine she described the scene as something like this.  Based on the photos posted, it looks like you guys did more than just alright!

Loved your report and so glad you were able to experience so many new things and foods.  And kudos to Michael and Lisa for playing such great hosts!
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/19 11:22:27 (permalink)
bb
Thanks for the kind words.  It truly was a pleasure and a lot of fun having Ed here.  I think the only thing we missed was a BPT at G&R Tavern as he had never had one before.  But we were stuffed after chowing down at Jolly Roger.  Oh well, next time!
mlm
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 243
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/19 11:28:55 (permalink)
I found some great info about pieing on wikipedia. On todayifoundout.com there was more fun info including about filming the pie fight in The Great Race. Sorry I don't know how to do a link.
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4074
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/19 14:11:14 (permalink)
buffetbuster

EdSails  I did mutter some things under my breath though, when I found out BB and pals had bought 11 pies the night before, leaving us with not much of a choice. Brandi, our waitress, described the scene to us from the night before.   

Ed, I imagine she described the scene as something like this.  Based on the photos posted, it looks like you guys did more than just alright!

Loved your report and so glad you were able to experience so many new things and foods.  And kudos to Michael and Lisa for playing such great hosts!

Yep, that scene is pretty much as she described it! I would have hated throwing that piece of blackberry pie that I had though----it was way too good!

The music  from the clip though, was a dead ringer for our time in Schmidt's as the oom-pah band marched by us.

Thanks for the kind words on the report------it was fun doing the pictures and reliving everything as I wrote it up.

Yes, I did enjoy all the new things------it's a testament that with so many new things that I tried, besides all of them being delicious, I still didn't try all of what we were planning. G&R Tavern might just be a detour from the airport next time!

And I agree, Michael and Lisa were phenomenal hosts! I really can't say enough to thank them. 
post edited by EdSails - 2014/04/19 15:00:55
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/19 15:23:14 (permalink)
CTD-
I found your comparisons between Gray Brothers and Jonathan Byrd's especially interesting and useful.  I have never eaten at both of them in such a short amount of time, like you did.   
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/19 15:44:10 (permalink)
buffetbuster

CTD-
I found your comparisons between Gray Brothers and Jonathan Byrd's especially interesting and useful.  I have never eaten at both of them in such a short amount of time, like you did.   

buffetbuster - I broke my diet JUST for you!
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/19 16:37:43 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner

buffetbuster

CTD-

You broke your diet? My diet was blindfolded, put against a wall and shot!" />
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/19 18:02:18 (permalink)
EdSails

ChiTownDiner

buffetbuster

CTD-

I told you not to eat so many White Castles!!!
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/19 18:06:44 (permalink)
lleechef

EdSails

ChiTownDiner

buffetbuster

CTD-

I told you not to eat so many White Castles!!!

Yes, but I figure, only eating six White Castles over my entire lifetime won't have been so bad!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/19 18:14:08 (permalink)
It was seven. Six plain Castles and one cheese Castle.
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/19 19:15:19 (permalink)
I am more of a double cheese with extra onions guy...

EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/19 19:37:12 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman

I stand corrected!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/19 19:37:28 (permalink)
I save my doubles order for Crabill's -- with mustard, relish and onions.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5143
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/19 20:14:16 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman

6:1 is a terrible ratio.  I always order 1:1 to keep things fair.

Great reporting so far by all!
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 17
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1