Hot!All Roads Lead To Cincinnati

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 8 of 17
Author
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6349
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/24 04:58:57 (permalink)
I got pie-eyed just looking at all that deliciousness!!!
will_work_4_bbq
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 437
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/24 05:18:49 (permalink)
This multi-mega-roadfood collaboration of deliciousness is blowing my mind!!!
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3010
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/24 07:40:05 (permalink)
My favorite was the apple...soooo good!
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7956
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/24 07:59:58 (permalink)
Peanut butter, Cherry, and Blackberry were my fave's....
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/24 08:51:24 (permalink)
As Michael, Lisa and Ed were unable to join us due to a later arriving flight...we were forced to consume the 11 slices of pie!  I will say from personal experience, this group did not lack for closers!  And a special shout out to Ralph who had finished his own pie and then joined our group like it was his first slice of pie...ever!  We then departed via three different cars and headed west to Dayton and the premier Dayton steak house...The Pine Club! 
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10488
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/24 10:16:47 (permalink)
Our group of seven (Ralph and Lori Melton, Cousin Johnny, wanderingjew, ChiTownDiner, ChiBears15 and myself) arrived at Pine Club

in the middle of the dinner rush.  This is not a place designed to handle large parties and since we had a group of nine (BuddyRoadhouse and Mrs. Roadhouse were driving straight from their stop in Indy), we would have a wait.  So, we cooled our jets at the bar.  Even a teetotaler like myself can appreciate what a handsome bar this is.

Pine Club is just about my ideal steak house.  Even though there are some people dressed in power suits, it is still casual and I feel perfectly welcome and comfortable in jeans and a t-shirt.  It has more the feel of a Midwest supper club than an upscale big city steak house.  They are only open for dinner, take no reservations and are cash only.  It is also notorious for being about as dark a restaurant as you can safely have, but it doesn't seem as dark as when I first started going here.  Back then, the hostess would have to lead you to your table, sometimes by hand.  Now, after just a few minutes your eyes adjust to the light and you can see fairly well.

After about a half hour, the crowd had thinned out enough that even though our entire party wasn't present, they went ahead and sat us.  Not long after, the Roadhouses arrived.  Because it is dark in here, taking photos of your food using a flash is the only possible way.  But, it can also be intrusive to the people at other tables.  So, I tried to limit it to one photo of each of my food items.  Unfortunately, my pic of the excellent bread basket did not turn out.  Maybe someone can chip in with that one.  I didn't have any because of the amount of food still to come, but it did get passed around and enjoyed. 

Dinners comes with a salad and the red & bleu dressing here is one of my favorites anywhere. 

This combines the made-in-house, creamy bleu cheese with a tangy and sweet French.  They go so well together and turn the salad course into a real highlight, even though the rest of the salad is just regular iceberg lettuce.

Cousin Johnny, wanderingjew and I all went for the "bone-in" filet. 

It is juicy, full-flavored, with a wonderful outside char.  And mine was cooked just how I like it, perfectly medium.  There is just something about sliding that heavy steak knife through the meat that really whets the appetite!  You get a choice of potatoes and I prefer the Lyonnaise, which is crispy hash browns and sautéed onions.  The wispy onion rings on the other side are also a winner.  Johnny and I also love mushrooms with our steaks, so we got a side of the sautéed mushrooms, which came in a quantity big enough for us to share with others.

Sorry there aren't more photos, but the circumstances just weren't right for passing around the food so everyone can get their photos.  Everyone else will have to chime in with what they ate and any pictures they have.

Our waitress forgot a thing or two during the meal, but that can certainly be forgiven with a group this big.  She had a constant smile on her face, seemed to enjoy the banter back and forth with us happy eaters and I thought she did a terrific job.

Kudos to ChiTownDiner and ChiBears15 for taking on this heavy duty restaurant and meal after all of the food stops they had already made over the course of the day.  And to the Roadhouses, who ate at St. Elmo's Steakhouse and Pine Club back-to-back!

With no hesitation, Pine Club was easily the best meal I had all weekend.  And to share it with so many Roadfood friends made an already great experience even better.

The original plan was to stop at the Graeter's Ice Cream in West Chester, OH on the way to our hotel, but a quick phone call discovered that they closed at 10:00PM and it was nearly that time already.  So, our group drove straight to the hotel in Blue Ash for the night.        
post edited by buffetbuster - 2014/04/24 10:23:13
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/24 11:08:55 (permalink)
I thought the Pine Club was the best meal of the trip.  Clearly a top 10 contender for the year.
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7307
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/24 11:45:09 (permalink)
bb
Thanks for the review of Pine Club!  One of these days MH and I will have to eat there since you all praised it so highly.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13548
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/24 12:03:35 (permalink)
Several years ago I stopped at the Pine Club.  We had a business in Dayton and it is still there.  I did not realize they did not take AMX.  I ordered a nice steak and my friend ordered the same.  When the check came and I gave them the AMX card, I was informed that they took no credit cards?  I did not have cash and they were nice and told me to send them a check which I did.  Great steak but a little stress.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/24 12:07:52 (permalink)
I enjoyed the Pine Club and also thought it the best meal of the weekend!  Seated next to ChiBear15, we proposed a split.  I ordered the breaded shrimp and he got the filet, medium rare.  We then split 2 excellent entrees!  I also had the red & blue dressing on my salad and each of our entrees came with PERFECTLY cooked hash browns and a huge pile of onion straws.  Having a choice between 2 side vegetable dishes, I upgraded for $1.95 to creamed spinach and was rewarded in spades! 

I loved, loved the Pine Club!  Great Roadfood restaurant! It was also pretty neat to see the group growing, now officially at 9...with other groups probably doing their own thing also! 
Ralph Melton
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 902
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/24 13:53:13 (permalink)
My Pine Club pictures:

My Strip Loin, with Lyonnaise potatoes
Lori's filet mignon with onion rings
by Ralph Melton, on Flickr

(These were all taken with my iPhone, without flash. I've been very impressed with how good the iPhone has gotten at low-light photographs in the past few years.)
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/24 13:59:23 (permalink)
Paul-
I'm not surprised that Pine Club handles the situation in such a classy manner.  And you are probably far from the first person to dine there without knowing ahead of time the cash only policy.

lleechef-
Oh, I think I may need to meet you and Michael there for dinner one night!

Ralph-
For no flash, those photos are rather impressive!
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/24 14:38:54 (permalink)
bb
You're on! I am especially intrigued by the "bone in" filet.  You posted something about that last summer (?) when you took you nephews (?) there.  MH said, "There's no such thing."  I said, "I never heard of that."  Well, that just goes to show you how much we know!  Apparently not a lot about "bone in" filets!!!   
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4122
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/24 15:00:05 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner

As Michael, Lisa and Ed were unable to join us due to a later arriving flight...we were forced to consume the 11 slices of pie!  I will say from personal experience, this group did not lack for closers!  And a special shout out to Ralph who had finished his own pie and then joined our group like it was his first slice of pie...ever!  We then departed via three different cars and headed west to Dayton and the premier Dayton steak house...The Pine Club! 

At least I made it there for the blackberry pie!

mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15321
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/24 15:01:50 (permalink)
Thanks folks.. The Pine Club just jumped several steps on my Buckeye Chowhound list. I hope we can get there this summer. Maybe after nibbling a little BBQ for Lisa's Birthday we can stop for dinner on the way home.

BTW  You can brag all you want about Pies...but nothing will ever equal this photo of TTM at Claudia Sanders...
(inserted strictly for historical comparison)

Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13548
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/24 15:06:57 (permalink)
lleechef

bb
You're on! I am especially intrigued by the "bone in" filet.  You posted something about that last summer (?) when you took you nephews (?) there.  MH said, "There's no such thing."  I said, "I never heard of that."  Well, that just goes to show you how much we know!  Apparently not a lot about "bone in" filets!!!   

Lisa:  You are not the only one intrigued by the bone in filet.  They are sorta pricey.  Omaha has them for $50.00 for a eight ounce.  I have never ever seen them on a menu.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxvile, N 

buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/24 15:14:36 (permalink)
Paul-
Bone-in filets aren't something you see very often.  The first I saw it on a menu was at the Cincinnati location of Jeff Ruby's.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15321
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/24 15:19:04 (permalink)
I assume they cut the Strip side off a Porterhouse, then whack the "Tee" off the top of the Filet side (or not) and jack the price to the standard per oz price for a filet, but add back the bone weight.  Kinda like putting the butcher's thumb on the scale, ehhh?
post edited by mayor al - 2014/04/24 15:24:34
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/24 15:27:36 (permalink)
al
That is one hilarious photo of TTM!  I'm hoping you and Janet can come and "nibble" with us for my birthday.  Fagettabout the "nibbling".......I'm dieting now so I can start with Cream of Crab Soup and work my way down Tom's menu.
sundancer
In all my years of cheffing I never saw such a thing as a "bone-in" filet mignon.  The filet does run underneath some bones so instead of giving the bone to the T-bone or porterhouse steak, they're giving it to the filet.  This is just a guess as I have not yet seen it!  But soon!!
Davidsanders
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 230
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/24 16:01:33 (permalink)
buffetbuster

Paul-
Bone-in filets aren't something you see very often.  The first I saw it on a menu was at the Cincinnati location of Jeff Ruby's.

Wildfire in Glenview (and it might be a chain in Chicago with other locations) has a bone-in filet. I think I had it once, but I'm not sure. I think the bone-in ribeye is more common, and I think I've had that as well.

I would like to try the Pine Club, but the last time I was in Dayton I found a City Barbecue (which I didn't think was great) next door to a Graeter's. It was hard to pass up. I also have a hard time passing up Skyline, wherever it is. I love it, and wonder if it wasn't included the Roadfood tour because it's a chain.
phlmaestro
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 388
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/24 16:44:03 (permalink)
I'm enjoying this thread. It's getting to the point now where I may have to start pestering my wife to take another roadtrip from Philly to Indiana to visit our friends in Bloomington so I can get to some of these Ohio places along the way!
The coconut and blackberry were my highlights the one time I made it to Henry's. I'm dying to try the Butterscotch, a pie flavor I've never tasted. I was hoping to get to the Pine Club during our last Midwest trip, but we didn't get quite as far as Dayton for dinner that first night. That and Crabill's are musts for me next time.
post edited by phlmaestro - 2014/04/24 16:46:44
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10356
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/24 17:02:54 (permalink)
buffetbuster
Paul-

A Bone in Filet!
How to make a Bone-in Filet!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FE5lXg1f5kU
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18875
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/24 17:40:30 (permalink)
That's how to cook one. To make one you take a porterhouse and cut from the top of the T through the bone, leaving a (half)bone-in strip., which is usually boned for service. It seems the bone-in filet has become the steak du jour.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/24 18:28:00 (permalink)
Here's a non flash photo of the interior of that filet at the Pine Club

.......Oh come on....how many people actually believed me when I said it was a non flash photo ?
joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4565
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/24 18:44:25 (permalink)
Lovely chunk of meat!  The onions look like the perfect accompaniment.
ChiBears15
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 110
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/24 19:03:50 (permalink)
Dale,
I will admit it, you had me fooled lol.  As soon as I saw that picture I was thinking, "He must have some real talent to get a nonflash photo like that under those dark conditions... Wow!"

Danny
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4122
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/24 19:40:31 (permalink)
I have to add the Pine Club to my list next time I visit!
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/24 20:57:35 (permalink)
The bone-in-filet is very popular at all the premium steak houses in Chicago. They really jack the price and here in Cicago, no sides or accompanyments except a piece of parsley!
Gotta say it again....the hash browns were perfecto!
mikeam
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 204
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/24 21:03:48 (permalink)
wanderingjew

Here's a non flash photo of the interior of that filet at the Pine Club

.......Oh come on....how many people actually believed me when I said it was a non flash photo ?

That may be my favorite Roadfood.com picture ever.

Beautiful......
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18875
Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/24 21:12:05 (permalink)
Question: Fillet and filet both mean a piece of bonelsss meat, whether it is beef or fish. That being the case, a piece of meat, in this case beef, attached to a bone cannot be a filet or fillet. So, why are restaurants allowed to call a piece of beef tenderloin that contains a bone a bone-in filet?
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 8 of 17
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1