Allentown Farmer's Market etc.

Author
ken8038
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1601
2008/01/18 21:46:09 (permalink)

Allentown Farmer's Market etc.

This is mostly about Chicken so I'll post it here.

I had a carryover vacation day left from last year so I decided to make it a 4 day weekend, with today being a quick one hour day trip from NJ to the Allentown Farmer's Market and a few other stops.

First stop was at Soumaya's Bakery in Whitehall. Someone posted about this place a while back but I don't rememeber on which board. Anyway, the fresh baked pita bread was terrific, but the chicken schwarma sandwhich was disapointing. Not close to the ones I've had in NY and NJ. I brought one home for my wife and she agreed.

On to The Farmer's Market. The fried Chicken Strips at Dan's Barbeque (just about dead center in the market) are one of my favorite Roadfoods ever. For about $20 I got about 1 1/2 pounds of strips, 2 large Chicken breasts, and two huge baked potatoes. Several of the strips were gone by the time I got back to my car. The rest survived the trip home for the rest of my family.

I picked up few other foods at the market, including some Apple and Blueberry fritters at the Amish stand and a 5lb box of Faller's pretzels.

I made a final stop at the new brew pub in Allentown, the Allentown Brew Works. I didn't eat there, but the one beer I had (a Porter) was just fine. Standard Brewpub atmosphere, but a little too upscale for Allentown, if you ask me.

It was a good day.

---Ken

7 Replies Related Threads

the ancient mariner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3987
    RE: Allentown Farmer's Market etc. 2008/01/19 08:38:46 (permalink)
    Almost bought a cow once at the great big "real" Saturday Farmers Market
    in Lancaster, Pa. Walking two of my sons around we stopped at the cow auction.
    In answer to a question from Mike I pointed to a Holstein and the Auctioneer
    pointed at me and said I have $150 do I hear--------and I don't even have a barn,
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6348
    RE: Allentown Farmer's Market etc. 2008/01/27 07:44:08 (permalink)
    Wow..
    Both great farmer's markets...for good food and good times,also try the one just up the turnpike from those,The Green Dragon near Adamstown. You can eat great food,even some PA Dutch..and,yes,you can bit on that cow again!
    the ancient mariner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3987
    RE: Allentown Farmer's Market etc. 2008/01/27 07:58:43 (permalink)
    Lee, That cow became Pennsylvania Dutch Bologna a long time ago.
    It was a great trip because we did the fantastic Gettysburg battle
    field visit and had a "sweet" time at Hershey Park as well. Eating
    at Good n' Plenty and another Amish County Restaurant put about
    10 pounds on me that I didn't need. Still got it !!!!!!
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    RE: Allentown Farmer's Market etc. 2008/01/27 08:47:38 (permalink)
    Ancient Mariner,
    True true...and ditto the Amish Buffets and family style restaurants. I know it's off thread,but next time you're on Rt. 30 in Amish Country, try Deiner's near that windmill place. Rum by Mennonite and Amish, and the family style meal is superior to ANYTHING there. It's a local secret...well secret no more,I guess!
    RubyRose
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: Allentown Farmer's Market etc. 2008/01/27 09:35:46 (permalink)
    Ken, I posted about Soumaya's and I'd agree that their sandwiches are not what I'd ever buy there. Have you ever been to the Elias Market? If you make a right when leaving Soumaya, that road will take you directly to Elias, located on Tighman Street. It's the mother lode for spices used in Middle Eastern dishes and many products you won't find in your local grocery store. Next door is the Elias Fish Market, with the freshest fish in the Lehigh Valley. From that little detour, you can take Tilghman street to the Allentown Fairgounds Market.

leethebard
    Sirloin
    RE: Allentown Farmer's Market etc. 2008/01/27 09:49:34 (permalink)
    Hey ken8038..and friends,
    Try the Giant Columbus Market in Columbus NJ ..columbusfarmersmarket.com Its great...and Amish farmers are there on thursday!
    lee
    ken8038
    • Total Posts : 1601
    RE: Allentown Farmer's Market etc. 2008/01/28 18:06:08 (permalink)
    I've been to the Columbus Market a few times, but the last time it had seem to have gone downhill (last summer). We used to go for the fresh fruits and vegetables at low prices, but last time everyitng seemed to be of poor quality.

Ruby Rose: Thanks for the tip on Elias, I'll keep that in mind next time I get out that way.

As a PS to my post on the Allentown Farmers Market, none of my family cared for the Chicken Breasts from Dan's. Very gamey. But the fried strips remain a standout.

The apple and blueberry fritters from one of the Amish Stands got rave reviews.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1