Alligator served in Brevard Co FL?????

Author
KokomoJoe
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 264
2006/01/02 10:02:35 (permalink)

Alligator served in Brevard Co FL?????

Help! My daughter is visiting from MA and wants to have some fried alligator...which she loves! We've been to "Lone Cabbage Fish Camp" and it's OK. Anyone have any other suggestions in Brevard County FL? Or a restaurant w/in an hours drive of Cocoa Beach FL? Thanks for any and all responses! I've done an "alligator" search here and that was non productive for what I need! Happy eating! KokomoJoe

17 Replies Related Threads

Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5065
    RE: Alligator served in Brevard Co FL????? 2006/01/02 10:29:26 (permalink)
    Fried alligator (tail) is rather tough. May I suggest some fried rattlesnake? (No, I am NOT kidding.)

Fried Rattlesnake and Ham Gravy

~ 1 24" to 30" skinned & cleaned western diamondback rattlesnake, cut in 3" to 4" pieces
    ~ drippings of 6 slices of bacon
    ~ 3/4 cup oil
    ~ 3/4 lb. cooked ham, diced
    ~ 2 cups milk
    ~ 1 tbs brewed coffee
    ~ 1/2 cup flour (1 tbs reserved)
    ~ biscuits or toast
    ~ salt and pepper
    ~ tabasco sauce, optional

In a cast iron skillet, fry the bacon. Remove bacon and drain on paper towels. Reserve drippings.

Add the oil to the drippings. Flour rattlesnake and fry over medium heat until golden brown.

Remove each piece as it becomes done and drain on paper towels.

Drain off the oil and drippings reserving 1 tbs. Add 1 tbs of flour. Stir and scrape bottom of the skillet to remove any browned stuck pieces.

Add the ham, coffee and milk. Stir until bubbly. If too thick add water, coffee or milk a tablespoon at a time.

Serve the rattlesnake with biscuits or toast and the ham gravy.

Salt and pepper and/or season with tabasco sauce to taste.

Serves 2 -3.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Alligator served in Brevard Co FL????? 2006/01/02 10:36:15 (permalink)
    I'm not sure on how far this is from you, but seen it on the Food Network... Made me crave some ribs (Alligator Ribs that is)...

Alligator Ribs
    1321 E. Commercial Blvd.
    Oakland Park, FL 33334
    Tel: (954) 771-2220
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5065
    RE: Alligator served in Brevard Co FL????? 2006/01/02 11:14:26 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by UncleVic

I'm not sure on how far this is from you, but seen it on the Food Network... Made me crave some ribs (Alligator Ribs that is)...

Alligator Ribs
    1321 E. Commercial Blvd.
    Oakland Park, FL 33334

Ha. Let's just say WELL OVER 400 miles...

KokomoJoe
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Alligator served in Brevard Co FL????? 2006/01/02 12:36:19 (permalink)
    Thanks for the replies thus far! BUT...there MUST be someone out there who knows a restaurant w/in an hours drive from Cocoa Beach FL, that we can get some good fried alligator! Thanks again! Happy eating! KokomoJoe
    C Turner Joy
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 159
    RE: Alligator served in Brevard Co FL????? 2006/01/02 13:56:03 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Adjudicator

quote:
    Originally posted by UncleVic

Alligator Ribs
    1321 E. Commercial Blvd.
    Oakland Park, FL 33334

Ha. Let's just say WELL OVER 400 miles...

C'mon. Almost nothing in Florida is 400 miles away.
    porkbeaks
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2216
    RE: Alligator served in Brevard Co FL????? 2006/01/02 14:19:03 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by KokomoJoe

Thanks for the replies thus far! BUT...there MUST be someone out there who knows a restaurant w/in an hours drive from Cocoa Beach FL, that we can get some good fried alligator! Thanks again! Happy eating! KokomoJoe

Try Google. I found these:
    http://www.radissondestinationguide.com/details.process/OID_EB39EA2D/OLID_3616/BID_1195/
    They have "cajun" gator.

http://www.cocoabeachpier.com/menu_atlantic_ocean_grille.html
    They have grilled gator strips as an appetizer.

and The Lone Cabbage Hwy 520 try the phonebook for this one.
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Alligator served in Brevard Co FL????? 2006/01/03 19:02:32 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by KokomoJoe

Help! My daughter is visiting from MA and wants to have some fried alligator...which she loves! We've been to "Lone Cabbage Fish Camp" and it's OK. Anyone have any other suggestions in Brevard County FL? Or a restaurant w/in an hours drive of Cocoa Beach FL? Thanks for any and all responses! I've done an "alligator" search here and that was non productive for what I need! Happy eating! KokomoJoe

In Melbourne, try Conchy Joes, just off US 1 on the Indian River...http://www.conchyjoesfl.com/appetizers2.html

http://www.chowders.com/ourmenu.html#menu
    I dont think they serve alligator, but a great seafood place none the less. I used to live In Merritt Island/Cocoa Beach for 7 years....
    Call the fish house at the pier and ask if they know anyone that serves gator..
    Maybe Capt Hirams,in Sebastian on the river....I think they have reopened after hurricane damage last year...

http://www.jackbakerslobstershanty.com/fl/cocoa.htm

Lobster shanty at the southern end of cocoa beach on A1A might have some.. ..

The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3749
    RE: Alligator served in Brevard Co FL????? 2006/01/03 20:27:11 (permalink)
    quote:
    In Melbourne, try Conchy Joes, just off US 1 on the Indian River...http://www.conchyjoesfl.com/appetizers2.html

I dont think they serve alligator, but a great seafood place none the less. I used to live In Merritt Island/Cocoa Beach for 7 years....
    Maybe Capt Hirams,in Sebastian on the river....I think they have reopened after hurricane damage last year...

I think that you may have been gone from here too long, and your memory is somehow being shaded.

Conchy Joe's is no more. It is now Abaco Jack's. I was never too fond of the food at Conchy Joe's, and from what I understand, they are going through a few growing pains in the kitchen right now. I also don't know that the menu is the same. I would still give it another few weeks -- and even then, it is no guarantee.

I have eaten at Chowder's once. That was one time too many. I thought the food was overly bland -- they seem to cater to the 4 pm dinner early bird crowd. Don't get me wrong -- the blue hairs do tend to love it, but since you said that your daughter was visiting, not your grandmother, I would steer clear. The one saving grace from my meal was that they are part of the Rewards Network program, so I earned American Airlines miles.

Jack Baker's Lobster Shanty is another place on which I would pass. My impression was another place that caters to the older crowd with incredibly bland food. Their other Florida location is in Vero Beach, which has an even higher percentage of older folks. I believe they do serve gator, though, so if it is only the one thing that you seek, you may get by.

The only other place that I can think of that has gator for sure is a <gasp> chain -- RJ Gator's. If you are not familiar with them, they have locations throughout the south and southeast, with one stetching as far as Fort Worth, TX. http://www.rjgators.com/menu/index.htm

I know that I have seen aligator on more menus around here, but having tried it once and not particularly caring for it, I don't really look when I go out. If I come up with something else, I will drop it in here.

Steve
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: Alligator served in Brevard Co FL????? 2006/01/03 21:47:27 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by stevekoe

quote:

I think that you may have been gone from here too long, and your memory is somehow being shaded.

Conchy Joe's is no more. It is now Abaco Jack's. I was never too fond of the food at Conchy Joe's, and from what I understand, they are going through a few growing pains in the kitchen right now. I also don't know that the menu is the same. I would still give it another few weeks -- and even then, it is no guarantee.

I have eaten at Chowder's once. That was one time too many. I thought the food was overly bland -- they seem to cater to the 4 pm dinner early bird crowd. Don't get me wrong -- the blue hairs do tend to love it, but since you said that your daughter was visiting, not your grandmother, I would steer clear. The one saving grace from my meal was that they are part of the Rewards Network program, so I earned American Airlines miles.

Jack Baker's Lobster Shanty is another place on which I would pass. My impression was another place that caters to the older crowd with incredibly bland food. Their other Florida location is in Vero Beach, which has an even higher percentage of older folks. I believe they do serve gator, though, so if it is only the one thing that you seek, you may get by.

The only other place that I can think of that has gator for sure is a <gasp> chain -- RJ Gator's. If you are not familiar with them, they have locations throughout the south and southeast, with one stetching as far as Fort Worth, TX. http://www.rjgators.com/menu/index.htm

I know that I have seen aligator on more menus around here, but having tried it once and not particularly caring for it, I don't really look when I go out. If I come up with something else, I will drop it in here.

Steve

I have been gone since July, and since I was very busy remodeling my home before I left for the prior 6 months, I really didnt know what transpired with conchy joes..
    I was just trying to help the guy
    Personally, I dont like gator, it tastes like chicken..LOL.. J/K..
    But I think his best bet was at lone cabbage, and he said he had been there.. Most people fry gator, but when I lived in Islamorada, at the Green Turtle, they used to saute' it in a lemon butter sauce, and it wasnt too bad there..
    But most places fry it and that makes it tougher...
    Tara
    KokomoJoe
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Alligator served in Brevard Co FL????? 2006/01/04 07:57:37 (permalink)
    stevekoe: Your take on the places you mentioned in my area are VERY similar to mine! We've had similar experiences at Chowder's,Conky Joe's and Jack Baker's! In fact the last time 4 of us went to Jack Baker's 2 ordered the grilled tuna. It arrived STILL frozen in the middle! We reported it and were given ONE free dessert to SHARE LOL! The tuna was not even taken off the bill. So it's how a restaurant handles a problem that we really decide whether or not to go back! Anyway...what places DO you like here in the Cocoa Beach area? You live in this area? We really like LUNCH at Fischer's...the BEST "char" burger and fries,cole slaw and pickle along w/ the soup of the day for UNDER $4.00 (add cheese,which I always do and it brings it up to $5.00)! They grind their own beef there and the roll is excellent! The soup is great too! We also love "Grill's" at "The Port" for lunch! Food,service and view wonderful. And lunch is a bargain! We tend to eat lunch out more often than dinner. Two reasons: I poop out by 7 (physical problems) and we find LUNCH everywhere to be the BEST bargain! Same food,different prices. Sometimes smaller portions but we find we over eat anyway! LOL As far as gator goes...I called R.J. Gator's on Merritt Island (around the corner from us) and they read the menu to me re: gator! Sounds great. Will give it a try probably Saturday! Believe it or not I had heard from someone who had gone there that they DON'T serve gator so I didn't think of them until now! LOL Will let you know how it is since we are not "chained to chains" so to speak! Thanks for the responses everyone! Happy eating! KokomoJoe
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: Alligator served in Brevard Co FL????? 2006/01/04 19:49:35 (permalink)
    I worked at Bernards Surf/Fischers, and Sunset Inn-waterfront on 520 next to Fla Seafood.
    I would also like to point out that if you go to RJ Gators, be wary, as their food isnt the greatest. Run of the mill stuff there. Nothing really cries out as unique to them. I would rather eat at Firdays than there, or Longhorn for lunch.
    Most places fry gator, and it shouldnt be, but do it because it is fast and cheap to do.
    I never ate at Lobster Shanty, and just looked at the menus trying to find you something since you asked.
    Never ate at Chowders, but heard it was good. I have been gone from CB since July 2005, so dont know whats good anymore. Every restaurant has their ups and downs.

The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Alligator served in Brevard Co FL????? 2006/01/04 23:18:51 (permalink)
    KokomoJoe -- I do not live in Cocoa Beach. I live in Melbourne. I have been here over 15 years, so I have eaten my way around the county once or twice. I don't get up to your neck of the woods all that often, though. I used to have friends that lived on the Viera/Rockledge border and I would head up there for dinners out periodically. They are no longer together and I don't get up that way as much.

Cocoa Beach is about a 45 minute drive for me. Since I live so close to I-95 (the road, not the person!), I can jump on heading north and also be at Dixie Crossroads in 45 minutes. Given the choice between anything in CB and Dixie Crossroads, I will head to Titusville.

A friend of mine took me recently to The Mango Tree in Cocoa Beach. It was nice, but, frankly, not as good as I had remembered from my last visit.

It's been awhile since I have been there, but I recall having a decent meal at Grandpa's Steakhouse on 520 in Cocoa (out towards the interstate). I like the old train motif, and the steaks are decent for the price. This is the local newspaper review: http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051125/LIFE0301/511250313/1026/life03

It is not quite all the way to you, but I always liked going to Ashley's on US1 just south of the hospital in Rockledge. built on the grounds of an old train station and is thought to be haunted (listed as such in the national registry of such). More info here: http://www.spookhunters.com/spookhunt/ashleysrestaurant/hunt.php The food was always satisfactory or better and the service was pretty good, too. Taco City on A1A up towards Cocoa Beach was a favorite of friends of mine for good, cheap, authentic Mexican. I am not a fan of Mexican, so I can not report on the place myself.

That is about all I have on Cocoa Beach and the vacinity. My take is that most of the places cater to the older crowd, and thus have pretty bland offerings. We have those in Melbourne, too, and I have been known to frequent more than my fair share -- but, I don't have to drive 45 minutes to get there!
    77sunset
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Alligator served in Brevard Co FL????? 2006/01/04 23:27:29 (permalink)
    I have got some old rubber tennis shoe soles that would be just as tasty if marinated and Kill Free. You have got to be kidding me. Alligator, uh, eeeewwwwwww, I lived in New Orleans many years and tried it cooked many ways from many cooks who said I just didn't eat it from someone who cooked it right or 'fixed it' right.....several times, and it always, always was no where even close to being edible. I guess if you get drunk enough it might be, but I don't drink.
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Alligator served in Brevard Co FL????? 2006/01/04 23:40:26 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by roossy90

I would also like to point out that if you go to RJ Gators, be wary, as their food isnt the greatest. Run of the mill stuff there. Nothing really cries out as unique to them. I would rather eat at Firdays than there, or Longhorn for lunch.

I don't know if you are implying that I suggested that RJ Gators is good or not. All I mentioned was that they had gator on the menu. I have only eaten there once, and it was nothing worth writing about. However, I would rather eat stuff out of other people's trash than eat at Friday's -- so, I would probably take Gators over them.

quote:
    Originally posted by roossy90

Never ate at Chowders, but heard it was good. I have been gone from CB since July 2005, so dont know whats good anymore. Every restaurant has their ups and downs.

Do you know that you described them in an above post as "a great seafood place?" That post sounds much more authoritative, while a post of "I heard the place was good" is a third-hand account. I am really not trying to be mean, but a lot of folks come to this site for the very exchange of information that we are offering. I think that most people assume that one is describing a first-hand experience, unless it is labeled as such. I have also suggested places that I have "heard" about from others, but always label them as such. If something comes with the "Stevekoe seal of approval" you can be sure that I have been there and eaten something of substance.
    KokomoJoe
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Alligator served in Brevard Co FL????? 2006/01/05 07:49:14 (permalink)
    stevekoe: Thanks again for the feedback. A friend has recommended "GrandPa's". We just haven't been there yet. We are in Melbourne quite a bit and travel the rest of this fine "sunshine state". Can you recommend any "Roadfood" around Melbourne or anywhere else in FL? We just bought a teeny tiny camper and have been exploring FL State Parks (having a blast BTW!). We usually "eat out" once while on these adventures! We're heading over to the Sarasotta area (Myakka State Park)possibly next week (Jan. 9-12,2006). Have any ideas? I'll also post this question as a seperate post and will do a search. Thanks again everyone. Happy eating! KokomoJoe
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Alligator served in Brevard Co FL????? 2006/01/05 09:40:53 (permalink)
    I can recommend a few places in Melbourne.

Actually, the first place I can offer is Hazel's, a Jamaican restaurant in Palm Bay. It is a mostly take out place that has a few tables. If you are a fan of jerk chicken, pork, fried plantains, curried goat, etc. this is an excellent choice. It is located in a strip mall on Stack Blvd just off of Palm Bay Road (behind the Atlanta Bread Company). One thing to keep in mind -- this place is run about as authentically Jamaican as any place I have ever seen -- right down to the laid back Island attitude, which basically means that even though something is on the menu, it doesn't mean that they have it when you go there. They could just be out of it that day. It's weird if you have never experienced it before.

Italian is also not in short supply around here. I prefer two places, Peterillo's on A1A in Indialantic and Bella's in downtown Melbourne. Petrillo's has the best pizza in the area. As a matter of fact, I think it is so good that when I head back to NY, I don't feel as though one of my NY destination meals HAS to be pizza. I am a pretty tough pizza critic and this place passes my test. Bella's is the more traditional Italian restaurant/bakery. They have expanded somewhat in the last year or so, and is a little more spacious inside than it was previously. My boss (an Italian NYer) cannot go there without ordering the eggplant -- she says that it is the best she has had since leaving home.

I have mentioned in other threads that my favorite restaurant is Matt's Tropical Grill. While not roadfood (I think the place is a little too upscale for that designation), the place is fabulous. Matt's used to be located in Indian Harbour Beach on A1A, but the building was damamged during the hurricanes last year. The landlord decided to sell the building and land to condo developers (because we NEED more of those around here!) rather than repair the damage. Matt has since tried to relocate and has purchased the building that was formerly Pop's Casbah. He then ran into some city planning type issues and has been in limbo. Until recently -- he opened up a lunch counter in Austin's Bistro (downtown Melbourne). Anyway, since you mentioned looking for lunch joints, this might well fit the bill. I prefer the london broil -- either the full lunch or the sandwich, but my work colleagues insist that the hamburger is the best they have ever had. It is more of a gourmet burger, but, from what I hear, worth a go. I will try to have that next time I am there -- I just have a hard time NOT ordering the london broil.

This is about a long enough post for now. I don't know much about the Sarasota area -- I have only been to the city once. Good luck on your travels.

Steve
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: Alligator served in Brevard Co FL????? 2006/01/06 20:15:18 (permalink)
    Pardon my faux paux, but I do agree with you about CB catering to the "older" crowd and the food being bland/mediocre. I really didnt care for pretty much any of the restaurants in the area to tell you the truth.
    However, there is a great, and I mean great, little sandwich shop in the Winn Dixie plaza at the corner of A1A and 520, whose name escapes me, but they make a mango chicken wrap with wild rice and cilantro that is excellent.
    Yes.. I have eaten there. (many times, and that is about the only place that I miss.)
    I can find chains everywhere.
    Anytime anyone asked me to recommend a place, I told them I can't.
    Not for a "great" meal.
    Pretty standard fare around that area.

However there is a restaurant in Cape Canaveral that serves authentic Massachusetts beef sandwiches, "sauce" and all and NE style seafood, especially clams.
    Again, I apologize, the name has escaped me, as it had just opened right before I left, and If I was still there, I would be eating there at least once a week. And no, its not the seafood place in south CB south of the Shanty.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1