Al's Corner Restaurant/Barberton, Ohio

Author
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10517
2007/04/18 14:08:04 (permalink)

Al's Corner Restaurant/Barberton, Ohio

When you read restaurant reviews from Jane & Michael Stern, you occasionally see a few that they are especially enthusiastic about. They seemed to be particularly impressed by Al's Corner Restaurant in Barberton, Ohio, so I made a special point to make it there.

I was taking my mother up to Cleveland for the Monet exhibit at the Cleveland Art Museum, but not before swinging by Al's for lunch. We both really like Hungarian and other eastern European food, so we were expecting something special. And man, did Al's deliver!

When we arrived at 11:05, they still had the closed sign on the front window. Our hearts sank! But since we saw people milling around inside, we went ahead and walked in. Luckily, they just hadn't changed the sign yet. When you enter they have a glass case to your right and all the hot food inside steaming up the glass. The short menu is just above the case to the left.

My mother chose the chicken paprikash lunch special, which came in a huge bowl with dumplings and she got a side of pierogies. A piece of white bread also comes with the meal. I ordered the sampler platter, which is a small bowl of the chicken paprikash in the center, surrounded by a pierogi, a stuffed cabbage, dumplings mixed with cabbage, sauerkraut and a very large piece of sausage. I was asked if I wanted the mild or hot sausage and chose the hot.

Even though I would have preferred eating at a counter stool in the center of the dining room, I thought this might be uncomfortable for my mother. So she chose the first wood booth nearest the food case.

It only took us a bite or two of our food to realize how good this meal was going to be. We both swooned over the chicken paprikash. The chicken was as tender as could be, but I would have been as happy just eating the delicious dumplings in the paprikash sauce. The stuffed cabbage was simply the best I have ever eaten. And considering I come from a city where this is a very popular food, that is saying something. Even the sausage was terrific. Though not particularly spicy, it still had a nice bite to it and was incredibly flavorful.

The one item that neither one of us cared for was the pierogi. It seemed to be rather hard and not as fresh as the rest of the food. My mother also got a piece of cherry strudel for dessert, but only had two bites of it. Since I was so full from my meal, I didn't try it myself.

All together, two very large filling lunches, plus beverages and one dessert came to $17.00. Considering the portion size and especially the quality, you couldn't ask for a better bargain!

I plan on going back to try some other things at Al's soon, but since they are open for lunch only Monday through Friday, this can be difficult. But since Barberton is "only" an hour and half from Pittsburgh, I will figure out a way to do it.

So anyone who loves great Hungarian food, you must go to Al's. This places is assured to be on my best of 2007 list and is probably in my all-time top 10 Roadfood restaurants.

Here is the Roadfood review:

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Writeup.aspx?ReviewID=3765&RefID=3867

7 Replies Related Threads

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13565
    RE: Al's Corner Restaurant/Barberton, Ohio 2007/04/18 14:20:57 (permalink)
    I occasionally get to Akron which is close by and I will definately stop at this place the next time I am close.

Barberton use to have a famous chicken place. I think it is closed now.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4614
    RE: Al's Corner Restaurant/Barberton, Ohio 2007/04/18 14:28:17 (permalink)
    Possibly this place, Paul?

http://www.whitehousechicken.com/story.htm
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: Al's Corner Restaurant/Barberton, Ohio 2007/04/18 14:28:51 (permalink)
    Paul-
    Barberton is very famous for their chicken. There are several places around town that serve Barberton style chicken, but I couldn't tell you which is best.

When we were leaving Al's to get back on the highway, we passed a place with a big sign saying they were voted by the local paper to have the best chicken. The name of the place was White House Chicken and is on Wooster Road. I wouldn't mind trying it sometime, but Al's Corner Restaurant will always be my first choice in town.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18949
    RE: Al's Corner Restaurant/Barberton, Ohio 2007/04/18 14:29:11 (permalink)
    Try here for Barberton Chicken: http://www.whitehousechicken.com/index.html
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: Al's Corner Restaurant/Barberton, Ohio 2007/04/18 14:57:54 (permalink)
    By the way, has anyone else noticed how many good Roadfood restaurants have the name Al in them? There is:

Al's #1 Italian Beef in Chicago
    Al's Place (the more polite of its two names) in Locke, California
    Al's Breakfast in Minneapolis
    Al's Corner Restaurant in Barberton, Ohio

Apparently, something about the name of Al means good Roadfood
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18949
    RE: Al's Corner Restaurant/Barberton, Ohio 2007/04/18 16:29:43 (permalink)
    Right -- like Al-The Mayor-Bowen.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13565
    RE: Al's Corner Restaurant/Barberton, Ohio 2007/04/18 16:38:21 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Try here for Barberton Chicken: http://www.whitehousechicken.com/index.html

Michael, I think you might be correct. A lady that worked for us in Akron as a nurse parents owned the place. She had a plaque that indicated that their restaurant was one of the most famous landmarks in Barberton. At the time they owned it, they only served chicken. I see the current owners serve fish.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1