Alternately chuckling and crying...Thanks...

Author
adbunting
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 72
2006/11/19 02:40:18 (permalink)

Alternately chuckling and crying...Thanks...

Feel free to grab all my posts and write a book...<lol>

Yesterday my "boss" said she is ready to hang up her hat. She had a fight with her SIL...the primary renter of the place (even thought she throws in 50%) and said she can't take the family stress any more. He's talking with customers and spreading bs about our food but comes back and states that the breakfast fare (which he never wanted) is bad. He's a total ass and his idol is the guy from "Hell's Kitchen".

So tomorrow would be our last day. But...

She had a chat with me and then our server for the AM service. (who also works for the pm service)

Our server is trying to convince her that it's my organizational skills or SOMETHING that needs to be fixed. Like that's going to fix the equipment or the pans or the ... I really don't know...

I have a grill meant for meat that I have to cook eggs on (not burners) and 3 pans that actually work for eggs that don't stick. (try to translate that into 5 tickets with omelettes and eggs any style) I have a flat grill that literally has a quarter inch of mung on (that they won't let me clean because "it's seasoned"...No, it's ******* DIRTY!) and according to the 'server' supposedly the night cooks have no prob with black grit on their stuff. I've tried experiments with cooking samples of hash browns on the grill and they turn out black. So this is somehow my inability to deal with it (according to the b* server today) I also only have a little electric flat grill that has issues and only fits 2 good sized pancakes and nowhere to make hashbrowns.

She had the nerve to say that I was taking cooking too "hi tech". Uh, like safety temps and holding temps and how long or many days you can re-heat sauces or that kind of thing is too "hi tech"? (ooga ooga..I'll just go bash a mammoth over the head and drag it back to the kitchen) We don't get that many people during the week but she assumes that I should use the really dirty steaming pan (that I have cleaned more times than I can count and doesn't have a lid anyway) and waste or re-heat way too much gravy or cheese sauce that we don't have the turnover for. Uh, excuse me, but hi-tech doesn't include re-cooking gravy or sauces for several days <which 140 will kinda do? DUH!>

Then OUT OF THE BLUE our server is now saying that people are saying my cooking is ****. For instance, on a day that I absolutely KNOW that everything was perfect she's claiming that there was black soot (from the grills) on the eggs but up until today ALL I've been hearing from her is compliments. But to my "boss" today she suddenly let go with constant complaints about my cooking? A guy supposedly complained about ham in a Denver Omelette tasting like bell peppers? Now THERE'S a stretch.

Um...excuse me? Then she suggests that her husband (who is currently in California as a correction officer and "ran a kitchen serving 300 people") come in tomorrow and 'help me' organize my kitchen? Oh, did I mention that he's going to retire in the immediate future and move here?

It turned into my boss's problem with her SIL to my not being able to cook? <I am spitting nails and tomorrow is NOT going to be pretty>

In any event, it looks like I'm not going to be there much longer in any event. (yes I have been looking for employment elsewhere, it's just tough)

I'm really hoping she hangs it up so I can apply for unemployment. (never done that so I don't know) I wish she would so we could open up a bakery.

This situation has seriously pissed me off for the last time. I worked my *** off fixing all kinds of weird problems, tried to inspire them to advertise, gave suggestions, recipes, dealt with disfunctional equipment...
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Just needed to vent.
Film at 11.

April

15 Replies Related Threads

dreamzpainter
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: Alternately chuckling and crying...Thanks... 2006/11/19 09:19:00 (permalink)
    sorry but I would have walked on this by the 2nd day
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5065
    RE: Alternately chuckling and crying...Thanks... 2006/11/19 09:24:22 (permalink)
    IDEA. Take some pics of your "kitchen" and post them here.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8317
    RE: Alternately chuckling and crying...Thanks... 2006/11/19 09:55:36 (permalink)
    Good idea adjudicator!!I am more than curious now.As far as cleaning the grill,April,cant you just start doing a bit at a time?like taking off the first layer so no one really notices?I dont normally believe in sneaking around,but your situation warrants it.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Alternately chuckling and crying...Thanks... 2006/11/19 10:37:25 (permalink)
    Spike your OJ with vodka, spice up your coffee with some Baileys, flip on the Ipod and have at it...
    EddyBees Dogs
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 187
    RE: Alternately chuckling and crying...Thanks... 2006/11/20 13:10:56 (permalink)
    Get out and don't think about it after that. Just do it!
    adbunting
    Hamburger
    RE: Alternately chuckling and crying...Thanks... 2006/11/20 13:40:41 (permalink)
    Um..what does an Ipod do? And how does that equate to Baileys or spiking my coffee? <not that it doesn't sound good at times> I'm sorry but I'm probably one of those rare individuals that doesn't have a digi camera (not that works anyway), a video cam or one of those little phones that will tape stuff.

I'll try to get photos, but all I can say is if a health inspector came in tomorrow I don't think it would be open the next day. All the stainless prep tables that I work with are nice and shiny. I come in in the morning and find drips of oil on them from the vents over the grills. All the equipment, forget it. The main prep table holds at 50 degrees and the lunch/dinner cooks use ice in pans to keep their ingredients cold. (not that it doesn't work but...) They keep their meat slicer on the floor? Our reach in works and holds at 38 BUT we only have an old ice cream coffin freezer to keep our frozen goods.

In any event, yesterday was...to put it nicely...a little tense on my end. It wasn't so much the server's hubby, he was pretty nice, BUT he really didn't know what he was doing. (like he burned an entire pan of bacon) I understand not knowing the kitchen and all but Pat (the server) seemed intent that he could come in and whip the entire situation into shape. (like it needed fixing that I haven't been handling?)

The plus? He spent the whole time complaining about ALL OF THE BLOODY THINGS I HAD BEEN COMPLAINING ABOUT FOR AGES!
    The negative? That they didn't listen to me in the first place. It's a trust/confidence thing that I am completely miffed about. They didn't trust my experience.

As a result it has undermined my working relationship with Pat. I now don't trust her or even like her. She's worked at places with 15 servers at a time and working equipment? She is taking the problems with this kitchen and assuming it's my failing or incompetence by comparing it to a professionally run large commercial kitchen. Yeah...special...

I'll work as long as it takes to find employment elsewhere and give them more notice than they gave me plus I'll have a long sit-down with my boss on Wednesday. She seems to really care and appreciate what I'm dealing with, but she also doesn't listen about marketing, advertising or pushing what we have to offer. Plus the no food industry business sense is showing. She has her husband drive to the local Wally World to get ingredients almost on a daily basis.

Believe me if I could find something today I would be outa there but it's not so easy in this area.

I dunno, I also just thought this might help someone in the future looking at some of the armpit aspects of the food world.

I think I'll just go get a catering truck and do State Fairs next year.

(my day off...think I'll go get some Baileys...LOL)
    April

donecookn
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 16
    RE: Alternately chuckling and crying...Thanks... 2006/11/21 22:04:36 (permalink)
    Just a little confused with all of this. With NO business how do they make payroll? How do they pay bills period?
    xannie_01
    • Total Posts : 1481
    RE: Alternately chuckling and crying...Thanks... 2006/11/21 22:09:45 (permalink)
    maybe it's a front
    adbunting
    Hamburger
    RE: Alternately chuckling and crying...Thanks... 2006/11/21 22:47:19 (permalink)
    No, not NO business...just they have no clue what they're doing. The breakfast fare just started about 2 months ago. The original burger joint was here years ago (at a different location) and bought by my boss's SIL.

Although what I think is being implied is pretty rampant here, my boss is here from England and trying to make it on a "business visa" to be with her daughter (and the SIL that is the primary renter of the place) (Sounds like a Days of our Lives episode)

New paper tomorrow so we'll see what openings come up.

April
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6653
    RE: Alternately chuckling and crying...Thanks... 2006/11/22 05:01:32 (permalink)
    At the risk of sounding cruel and harsh, either suck it up or get out. They're not running a restaurant, much less a business, sounds like a circus act to me. Sorry. After 25+ years in the biz your heart turns to stone and you have ice running through your veins.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18276
    RE: Alternately chuckling and crying...Thanks... 2006/11/22 12:21:23 (permalink)
    Perhaps living in Alaska caused ice to run through your veins. I know that I prefer the ice to blood -- blood's too warm. I like my outside temperatures from 20 to 20 -- above to below, that is. Why, right now we're in the middle of a heat wave what with temperatures in the low 40s. Heck, I barely had to scrape ice off the windshield of the truck this morning.
    Fieldthistle
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Alternately chuckling and crying...Thanks... 2006/11/22 12:35:26 (permalink)
    Hello All,
    I like ice in my beer.
    Adbunting, sounds like the stress level is up due to your boss trying something new,
    being new to the country, and feeling very afraid. Make friends with the boss, be
    understanding, and offer your suggestions clearly and not out of fear. If you show
    your intelligence, calmness, and vision of what could be, you may find your boss
    will trust you and reward you.
    Take Care,
    Fieldthistle
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    RE: Alternately chuckling and crying...Thanks... 2006/11/22 12:51:40 (permalink)
    I'm with you Field! Looks like an opertunity to me. That lady needs help! Geting her to realize that may be a trick, but? Oh, and I also like ice in my beer, or my beer over ice.

Lee, my read has always bean that you are a sweet person. You just take care of business. Sometimes a swift cut to the truth is the less cruel road to take.
    Joe
    Theedge
    • Total Posts : 1196
    RE: Alternately chuckling and crying...Thanks... 2006/11/22 13:52:11 (permalink)
    Right or wrong, I can’t recall regretting any hard decision I’ve ever made. We always tend to think that what we are doing at the moment is all there is, or that if we just tuff it out we can improve upon it somehow. I’ve lost accounts thinking “this is the end of me” or “it’s going to take for ever to recover”. Quite frankly now I look at some of my customers and wonder how I can politely let them go so I can spend my time on something more profitable. I would definitely look at making a major change.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6653
    RE: Alternately chuckling and crying...Thanks... 2006/11/22 14:28:33 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by PapaJoe8

Lee, my read has always bean that you are a sweet person. You just take care of business. Sometimes a swift cut to the truth is the less cruel road to take.
    Joe

Thank you. You are right.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1