Alternative Breakfast Foods

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
jvsmom
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 462
RE: Alternative Breakfast Foods 2004/02/04 23:06:52 (permalink)
I was reading this thread, just getting ready to add my favorite "alternative" breakfast - leftover birthday cake - when I saw someone beat me to it.

So with this I will see your birthday cake and raise you a scoop of ice cream!
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4593
RE: Alternative Breakfast Foods 2004/02/07 21:44:06 (permalink)
G O E T T A

The Cincinnati treat
hatteras04
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1097
RE: Alternative Breakfast Foods 2004/02/08 00:17:08 (permalink)
I'm with Tiki on the room temperature pizza. Some days at work there will be a pizza that was left out over night by mistake and most people won't eat it then. It's funny that the people who are the closest to college age don't have a problem with it and go ahead and eat it. My roommate in school used to leave them out of the fridge on purpose because he liked it room temp the next morning. I guess I just got used to it over the four years.

One other alternative breakfast food I like is a couple of White Castles. They actually have good breakfast sandwiches there that are served on wheat toast but you can get the hamburgers 24 hours a day if the craving hits.
olphart
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 289
RE: Alternative Breakfast Foods 2004/02/08 14:36:18 (permalink)
As a kid, we used to eat Spam for breakfast, and Spam, as everybody knows, is an alternative to real food.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: Alternative Breakfast Foods 2004/02/09 00:30:15 (permalink)
In Cincinnati, the White Castle breakfast sandwiches are on the same tiny buns the hamburgers go onto.
hatteras04
RE: Alternative Breakfast Foods 2004/02/09 08:56:41 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by TJ Jackson

In Cincinnati, the White Castle breakfast sandwiches are on the same tiny buns the hamburgers go onto.

We have those in Columbus too, but they also have ones that come on full size toast and they put a made to order fried egg on them with choice of bacon or sausage and cheese. I think they are by far the best breakfast sandwich you can get from a fast food place. They actually are not too muhc more than the ones on the little buns.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: Alternative Breakfast Foods 2004/02/09 10:36:01 (permalink)
(not to get too far off topic, but the best FF breakfast in my mind is still the Hardee's biscuits, with my personal favorite being bacon egg and cheese. The biscuits were the one thing hardee's did really well, imho. Alas, there are no Hardee's in Cincinnati anymore.)
Sushi_Girl
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 228
RE: Alternative Breakfast Foods 2004/02/10 09:56:07 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by olphart

As a kid, we used to eat Spam for breakfast, and Spam, as everybody knows, is an alternative to real food.

Ever wondered why spam is so popular in the polynesian islands? heres an excerpt from a book i have,,kinda makes you wonder...
"One non-vision related anomaly that Sacks noted was the universal craving for large quantities of Spam, the canned meat product, by the islanders. Added to the fruit and vegetable native fare it has turned an otherwise healthy, low-fat diet into a high-fat diet with all the attendant medical problems. One theory for the craving for Spam is that it has a porky taste similar to what the natives refer to as "long-pig" or human flesh. The more likely explanation, in light of the long since discontinued practice of cannibalism, is that Spam provides every native islander a daily chance to eat a food, pork, a meat that was once reserved for royalty"
In this case Olphart spam is the alternative to,,um,,,real people " />
hatteras04
RE: Alternative Breakfast Foods 2004/02/10 10:38:41 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by clothier

did somebody call me? I heard something about off topic...

anyway, I like grilled cheese for breakfast. Even better (and what isn't?) with bacon or ham.

At the hospital where I work, the cafeteria has a Texas Bacon Cheese Grill every Friday morning, which is basically a grilled cheese with bacon and tomato. Try as I might to avoid them, I usually end up getting one. Some people think its weird because it doesn't have egg on it so it's more like a lunch sandwich. But they seem to be pretty popular around here.
Rhodes
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 281
RE: Alternative Breakfast Foods 2004/02/10 10:45:43 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sushi_Girl

quote:

Ever wondered why spam is so popular in the polynesian islands? heres an excerpt from a book i have,,kinda makes you wonder...
"One non-vision related anomaly that Sacks noted was the universal craving for large quantities of Spam, the canned meat product, by the islanders. Added to the fruit and vegetable native fare it has turned an otherwise healthy, low-fat diet into a high-fat diet with all the attendant medical problems. One theory for the craving for Spam is that it has a porky taste similar to what the natives refer to as "long-pig" or human flesh. The more likely explanation, in light of the long since discontinued practice of cannibalism, is that Spam provides every native islander a daily chance to eat a food, pork, a meat that was once reserved for royalty"

My theory on the subject, unsubstantiated by any real research, is that essentially all humans have a basic craving for salt and fat, and that Islanders were introduced to salted/corned beef and pork products by the white invaders (or colonists, depending on your take) hundreds of years ago and this proved quite a novelty when contrasted with the existing seafood/produce/some fresh meat diet, and the Islanders subsequently developed a lasting taste for cured fatty meats (in the same way that late 20th-c North Americans developed an insatiable taste for Big Macs, Pizza Hut etc.). Contemporary Islanders now have quite a great fondness for canned corned beef as well as SPAM, the modern versions of those products introduced so long ago by the white folks. I'll leave the Long Pig questions to others....
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3308
RE: Alternative Breakfast Foods 2004/02/10 11:09:58 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sushi_Girl

quote:

Last week, one of the cable stations aired the "History of Spam." During the wartime meat rationing (WWII), Spam got popular and because of this, the residents of Hawaii eat more Span than anywhere else in the world.
Art Deco
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 890
RE: Alternative Breakfast Foods 2004/02/10 16:19:12 (permalink)
The theory that I have seen offered up is that SPAM (particularly when a relatively thick slice is fried until the outside is crispy) goes very well with poi.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18625
RE: Alternative Breakfast Foods 2004/02/10 18:58:40 (permalink)
Personally, I enjoy fried Spam with B&M baked beans. And I don't care what anyone thinks.

When we lived in the U.S. Virgin Islands, one of our friends was the Spam distributor, among other things. He used to serve Spam at parties. He'd cube it and saute it in dark Mt. Gay rum (he was the Mt. Gay distributor, too, not to mention Cutty Sark and Schaefer's beer) and serve it on platters with toothpicks. It was really good.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13521
RE: Alternative Breakfast Foods 2004/02/10 19:08:51 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Personally, I enjoy fried Spam with B&M baked beans. And I don't care what anyone thinks.

When we lived in the U.S. Virgin Islands, one of our friends was the Spam distributor, among other things. He used to serve Spam at parties. He'd cube it and saute it in dark Mt. Gay rum (he was the Mt. Gay distributor, too, not to mention Cutty Sark and Schaefer's beer) and serve it on platters with toothpicks. It was really good.

Hoffman: Sounds like a good friend to have.

In addition Spam is like a lot of other proteins, it depends on what is is served or cooked with. I have been a SPAM friend for a long time. I enjoyed it back in the early 50's.

It is a little bit like a hot dog. It is a processed meat with spices added and I personally enjoy it on occasion.

We had a lady that kept my daughter when she was a young child. Sometimes when we came home, she would have a can of Spam cooked for us with cloves. I hated cloves but I appreciated her efforts.

I have been to their site in Minnesota.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7012
RE: Alternative Breakfast Foods 2004/02/11 01:27:57 (permalink)
NO, NO, and NO. You CANNOT, wILL NOT, FORCE me to eat Spam! Bleeecccchhhhh. I'd rather be tortured with lutefisk, Frankfurter Spectacular, the Snappy Mackerel Casserole or the Inspirational Soup. But...puhleese....NO SPAM!!!!
tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
RE: Alternative Breakfast Foods 2004/02/11 06:57:50 (permalink)
I think that Lleechef doesnt like spam.
hatteras04
RE: Alternative Breakfast Foods 2004/02/11 08:39:33 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by tiki

Then she should get the spam, eggs, sausage, and spam. There isn't much spam in that.
i95
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: Alternative Breakfast Foods 2004/02/11 08:46:54 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by hatteras04

quote:
Originally posted by tiki

Then she should get the spam, eggs, sausage, and spam. There isn't much spam in that.

(The Minister of Silly Walks also found that quite witty, hatteras04.)
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7012
RE: Alternative Breakfast Foods 2004/02/11 11:24:20 (permalink)
lleechef quoting Monty Python (more sick humour)......"SPAM, SPAM, SPAM, I DON'T LIKE SPAM!!!
backfrmIraq
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 73
RE: Alternative Breakfast Foods 2005/12/29 09:17:14 (permalink)
After having worked in Cincy for 18 months in the late 90's, I have to agree with the top post on this page GOETTA...it's not just for breakfast anymore!!!!!!!!
WingLover
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 145
RE: Alternative Breakfast Foods 2005/12/29 13:32:22 (permalink)
Unfortunately, I don't eat anything 'unusual' for breakfast, but I love reading the replies! Someday, I'll have to do something really daring and eat a cheeseburger for breakfast.

~Jessica
Ashphalt
  • Total Posts : 1644
RE: Alternative Breakfast Foods 2005/12/29 13:58:27 (permalink)
Hmm, Goetta doesn't sound THAT unusual - rare, but not that unusual as breakfast foods go.

Growing up, just about any leftover baked good was considered a fine breakfast, apple pie, chocolate cake, cheesecake, you name it. If you don't have donuts yout make do, right?

I've mentioned elsewhere that my Mom taught me a Yankee appreciation for (cold) baked beans on toast for breakfast.

But my current fave is probably cold leftover steak. If there's some spinach with it (plain or creamed) I'll eat that too.
backfrmIraq
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 73
RE: Alternative Breakfast Foods 2005/12/30 09:51:33 (permalink)
My project assistant's family in Cincy was 100% German descendants and her mother used to make homemade goetta....she brought some to the job trailer one day..... its an acquired taste.....cold steak or homemade burgers are a fine breakfast food.......
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1