Alton Brown Awards Best Burger in America to Holeman & Finch Public House, ATL, GA

Author
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10353
2010/09/26 19:22:34 (permalink)

Alton Brown Awards Best Burger in America to Holeman & Finch Public House, ATL, GA

Just watched a new show on Food Network with Alton Brown awarding Top Ten Awards in various categories. He awarded The Best Burger to Holeman & Finch Public House in Atlanta GA. Never heard of them before. They only make 24 burgers a night and only start making them at 10 PM!
http://holeman-finch.com/burger.html
In addition, they have a very unique menu including such delicacies as:
Pig ear bologna with okra and smoked peppers
Anyone ever been there or heard of them? 

post edited by Foodbme - 2010/09/26 19:33:46

16 Replies Related Threads

sk bob
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1801
    Re:Alton Brown Awards Best Burger in America to Holeman & Finch Public House, ATL, GA 2010/09/26 21:20:16 (permalink)
    there are questions here;
    where does Alton live?
    no one can order a burger at this place before 10 pm?
    only 24 hamburgers made a night?
    how much do these things cost?
    why should I care?
    just curious because Foodbme brought it up.
    whatnameisnottaken
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 26
    Re:Alton Brown Awards Best Burger in America to Holeman & Finch Public House, ATL, GA 2010/09/26 22:59:08 (permalink)
    I've eaten there many times and have had the hamburger 4 or 5 times. As long as 2 years ago I started telling folks it was the best burger I'd ever had :)

You can also order them during brunch on Sunday, but for dinner, it's 10PM and 24 only. I can't remember the price of just the burger but I think it's around $11. It's worth it!

H&F also sells their buns to other restaurants - they are awesome.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Alton Brown Awards Best Burger in America to Holeman & Finch Public House, ATL, GA 2010/09/27 03:55:17 (permalink)
    Foodbme

sk bob

there are questions here;
    where does Alton live? He lives in the Atlanta area, I believe, but if you're implying he's a "Homer", don't. He's an objective judge of food and besides he's not the one who made the decision. The decision was made by a group from the Food Network Magazine.
    no one can order a burger at this place before 10 pm? That's correct. Go to their web site to read about it.
    only 24 hamburgers made a night? That too is correct. See above.
    how much do these things cost?  Around $11 Bucks.
    why should I care? Who says you should?
    just curious because Foodbme brought it up. I brought it up because I thought it was different and unique and some others besides you might think so too.

Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2414
    Re:Alton Brown Awards Best Burger in America to Holeman & Finch Public House, ATL, GA 2010/09/27 08:37:35 (permalink)
    What I thought was funny is that Alton requested a burger and was turned down, he had to settle for a few fries.
    I also noticed in the first episode of the "marathon" the first establishment that won the award(name escapes me, they had hot dogs though, "PTD"?)they clearly were expecting Alton because there was a glass with ice waiting on the bar that his cocktail was made in.
    I enjoyed the programs, nice switch.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Alton Brown Awards Best Burger in America to Holeman & Finch Public House, ATL, GA 2010/09/27 13:11:18 (permalink)
    Rusty246

What I thought was funny is that Alton requested a burger and was turned down, he had to settle for a few fries.
    I also noticed in the first episode of the "marathon" the first establishment that won the award(name escapes me, they had hot dogs though, "PTD"?)they clearly were expecting Alton because there was a glass with ice waiting on the bar that his cocktail was made in.
    I enjoyed the programs, nice switch.

Of course they were waiting for him. It takes hours to set up equipment and prep for a 5 minute shoot. TV, dispite what they say, is not reality.
    JRPfeff
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2766
    Re:Alton Brown Awards Best Burger in America to Holeman & Finch Public House, ATL, GA 2010/09/27 19:57:04 (permalink)
    In reality, I make the Best Burger in America.  Unfortunately for you commoners, my fabulous burgers are only available when I want to make them and for whom I want to make them.

Bull-oney on Brown and his bogus restaurant.  If it ain't available to everyone and at all times, it does not exist and it is not a restaurant.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Alton Brown Awards Best Burger in America to Holeman & Finch Public House, ATL, GA 2010/09/27 20:15:37 (permalink)
    JRPfeff

In reality, I make the Best Burger in America.  Unfortunately for you commoners, my fabulous burgers are only available when I want to make them and for whom I want to make them.

Bull-oney on Brown and his bogus restaurant.  If it ain't available to everyone and at all times, it does not exist and it is not a restaurant.

Au Contraire' my dear fellow! This restaurant does, in fact, exist and is very successful! Their web site is very interesting. They are Marketing Geniuse's, creating a demand for something you can't have unless you're there. It's like years ago when you couldn't get Coors Beer East of the Rockies. My boss would send me on business trips to Colorado just so I could bring him two cases of Coors home on every trip. Damn, those suitcases were heavy! Human Nature says we crave that which we can't have!" />" />

post edited by Foodbme - 2010/09/27 20:16:59
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6411
    Re:Alton Brown Awards Best Burger in America to Holeman & Finch Public House, ATL, GA 2010/09/27 20:22:49 (permalink)
    Marketing genius is right. But that doesn't make it the best burger. It just proves Alton Brown can be as gullible as the next guy.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5108
    Re:Alton Brown Awards Best Burger in America to Holeman & Finch Public House, ATL, GA 2010/09/27 21:13:22 (permalink)
    Davydd

Marketing genius is right. But that doesn't make it the best burger. It just proves Alton Brown can be as gullible as the next guy.

Good answer!
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Alton Brown Awards Best Burger in America to Holeman & Finch Public House, ATL, GA 2010/09/28 03:43:12 (permalink)
    David

As previously stated, A. Brown DIDN'T make the decision. Writers and Editors of the Food Network Magazine made the decisions. He was merely the On-Camera Messenger delivering the award. Don't shoot the Messenger!" /> If you catch the re-runs of the show, you'll get the correct scoop.
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    Re:Alton Brown Awards Best Burger in America to Holeman & Finch Public House, ATL, GA 2010/09/28 10:05:50 (permalink)
    Foodbme

David

As previously stated, A. Brown DIDN'T make the decision. Writers and Editors of the Food Network Magazine made the decisions. He was merely the On-Camera Messenger delivering the award. Don't shoot the Messenger!" /> If you catch the re-runs of the show, you'll get the correct scoop.

Nitpicking. So you are suggesting Alton Brown is really just a media whore and the writers and editors of the Food Network Magazine are the gullible ones and/or shills in collusion with the restaurant? Look I checked the web site. There is no description that explains the preparation or what goes into the hamburger that makes it any more unique than thousands of hamburgers across the nation or why they only serve 24 at 10 PM other than the marketing savvy dating back to P. T. Barnum. Remember, you lugged Coors beer and you should know now it was nothing more than another bland, light American lager brew not much different than Miller and Bud.

So what makes the burger the best? Other than the limited number and time hype? They claim it is not a gimmick.

The thought behind the minimal number and the 10:00 serving is not a gimmick; it’s just the opposite.  A handcrafted burger takes a lot of time to prepare correctly.

That is just simply an out and out hoodwink statement without a better explanation.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Alton Brown Awards Best Burger in America to Holeman & Finch Public House, ATL, GA 2010/09/28 13:05:17 (permalink)
    Davydd

Foodbme

David

Nitpicking. So you are suggesting Alton Brown is really just a media whore and the writers and editors of the Food Network Magazine are the gullible ones and/or shills in collusion with the restaurant? Look I checked the web site. There is no description that explains the preparation or what goes into the hamburger that makes it any more unique than thousands of hamburgers across the nation or why they only serve 24 at 10 PM other than the marketing savvy dating back to P. T. Barnum. Remember, you lugged Coors beer and you should know now it was nothing more than another bland, light American lager brew not much different than Miller and Bud.

So what makes the burger the best? Other than the limited number and time hype? They claim it is not a gimmick.

The thought behind the minimal number and the 10:00 serving is not a gimmick; it’s just the opposite.  A handcrafted burger takes a lot of time to prepare correctly.

That is just simply an out and out hoodwink statement without a better explanation.

Lighten up Davydd! I merely posted this because I thought it was an interesting concept, not to start a National Debate! Why don't you take a trip to Atlanta, buy one and then give us your expert opinion? Geeez!
    Any time anyone comes out with a "Best of" list, it's just opinions, not fact.
    Media Whore??? C'mon Davydd, you're a better person than to say something like that. You must be thinking of Political TV Talking Heads! A. Brown is just an entertainer, not the know all, be all and just happens to be in a food related business. Life's to short to get yourself all worked up over something as immaterial as this.

RE: Coors Beer. At the time, (Mid 70's), Coors had developed the Mystique about their product that created the demand. Didn't say it was any better or worse than any other Beer. Marketing creates perceptions. Perception in marketing IS reality!
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    Re:Alton Brown Awards Best Burger in America to Holeman & Finch Public House, ATL, GA 2010/09/28 13:34:07 (permalink)
    OK, I'm lightening up now and not lighting up.
    whatnameisnottaken
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 26
    Re:Alton Brown Awards Best Burger in America to Holeman & Finch Public House, ATL, GA 2010/09/28 15:24:57 (permalink)
    Y'all are making a mountain out of a molehill ;) It's a relatively small kitchen. They just aren't set up to make burgers all day every day. It started one night at 10P when they were closing down the kitchen and since they have a TON of awesome meats, they put them in the grinder and made as many burgers as the griddle would hold at one time. It was a hit but not enough to where they wanted to give something else up for the burger space. They can do more at brunch because the brunch menu is much smaller.

I know a lot of folks who have been there at 10 when it's "burger time" and have never ordered a burger. I also don't know anyone who's made it a burger destination.

It is what it is - a good burger. And considering it's one of the cheapest things on the menu, having it be a "special" isn't doing them any favors. There's no masterplan behind it ;)
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Alton Brown Awards Best Burger in America to Holeman & Finch Public House, ATL, GA 2010/09/28 15:42:26 (permalink)
    whatnameisnottaken

Y'all are making a mountain out of a molehill ;) It's a relatively small kitchen. They just aren't set up to make burgers all day every day. It started one night at 10P when they were closing down the kitchen and since they have a TON of awesome meats, they put them in the grinder and made as many burgers as the griddle would hold at one time. It was a hit but not enough to where they wanted to give something else up for the burger space. They can do more at brunch because the brunch menu is much smaller.

I know a lot of folks who have been there at 10 when it's "burger time" and have never ordered a burger. I also don't know anyone who's made it a burger destination.

It is what it is - a good burger. And considering it's one of the cheapest things on the menu, having it be a "special" isn't doing them any favors. There's no masterplan behind it ;)

Thank You for Enlightening the Unenlightened, including me! Kind of like Post-it notes- happened by accident!
    sk bob
    • Total Posts : 1801
    Re:Alton Brown Awards Best Burger in America to Holeman & Finch Public House, ATL, GA 2010/09/29 21:56:20 (permalink)
    "light up everybody" words from a Styx song,& we'll all lighten up.
    that is a different concept Foodbme, thanks for bringing it up.
    it lit everybodys wick for a change.
    keep it up. 
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1