Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls?

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6411
RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/15 22:54:39 (permalink)
I just watched Kellys in Somerset, MA making lobster rolls from one clawed lobsters. They looked awfully good to me. I want to try one. It was just on the Food Network featuring Diners, Drive-ins and Dives.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7956
RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/15 23:02:08 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Davydd

I just watched Kellys in Somerset, MA making lobster rolls from one clawed lobsters. They looked awfully good to me. I want to try one. It was just on the Food Network featuring Diners, Drive-ins and Dives.

Somerset...that's about 25 minutes away from me
dadetigl
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 120
RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/16 01:35:57 (permalink)
Greymo. You mentioned a great hot buttered lobster roll that you once had at a place west of Bangor, Maine. My wife's sister and her family live there and we will probably visit them this August. Do you know the name of the place? Do you think it's still there and still worth trying? Michael said I should give the hot buttered roll a shot before I give up on them. Her sister and family are vegans and I am not so we'll have to ditch them somehow for a real meal.

Looks like I stirred up a hornets nest with this topic, but it's all in fun, Correct? I learned a lot about lobster rolls that I didn't know before. What if I said I don't like raw oysters either. (Which I don't) Saying that the thought of a live, slimy creature sliding down my throat doesn't float my boat would probably elicit some very strong opinions and probably get me lynched along the Gulf Coast. I'll save that topic for the future.:)
FrankBooth
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 185
RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/16 02:07:10 (permalink)
for the record, i have never had a HOT lobster roll in maine. i have had freshly cooked lobsters that were absolutely perfect andHOT, i have had COLD lobster rolls (from Red's- always cold- to bob's clam hut to sea basket- all COLD all the time) that were freshly cooked lobster meat well chilled. that is what makes red's eats and a pure maine lobster roll so good- the lobster itself was brought in by the lobstermen super early that morning in the traps to the docks, then the lobsters are usually stored in the ocean water, obviously still alive, or in tanks with sea water right near the sea. the lobsters are then cooked perfectly and the meat chilled- not sure how the hot lobster roll in CT works, i suppose you could cook a lobster (in maine the best are cooked in sea water in wooden casks with seaweed and the corn is often steamed right above this briney goodness) and then put the warm meat, freshly plucked, into a roll. but the meat at Red's, or at a great maine lobster shack, is obviously perfectly cooked and then chilled right away. the meat at red's is so tender, so full of flavor, overflowing the bun, barely needs a hint of butter, the buttered grilled roll pretty much has it covered, but the cold snapping freshness of a Red's Lobster Roll, preferably with some fried zuchinni and mushrooms (red's has the best fried zuchinni in the world), on a hot sticky summer day in maine cannot be beat. period. it is the freshness, the proximity to the sea, the huge pile of lobster meat, more than a whole lobster in every roll, the pride they take in every roll, always SO fresh, so clean and deliciously briney, salty!!!
ughhh, i'm stuck in brooklyn ny and won't get to red's till august... someone fedex me a red's lobster roll please... i can't wait that long... nothing in NYC even comes close- not even in the ballpark- lobsters do not enjoy getting on a fedex plane or a truckride to new york city... and though CT and MA do still have lobsters, i've been told that there have been big blights on the CT and MA lobster populations from red tide and softer shells, all due to rising temps in the waters. whereas it hasn't really reached maine as much yet, maine lobstermen fear the day that the water temps start rising and the lobsters are not as perfect. maine really has such delicious lobsters, we should all listen to al gore and save our lobsters...
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3752
RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/16 07:45:07 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by dadetigl

Greymo. You mentioned a great hot buttered lobster roll that you once had at a place west of Bangor, Maine. My wife's sister and her family live there and we will probably visit them this August. Do you know the name of the place? Do you think it's still there and still worth trying? Michael said I should give the hot buttered roll a shot before I give up on them. Her sister and family are vegans and I am not so we'll have to ditch them somehow for a real meal.

Looks like I stirred up a hornets nest with this topic, but it's all in fun, Correct? I learned a lot about lobster rolls that I didn't know before. What if I said I don't like raw oysters either. (Which I don't) Saying that the thought of a live, slimy creature sliding down my throat doesn't float my boat would probably elicit some very strong opinions and probably get me lynched along the Gulf Coast. I'll save that topic for the future.:)

I am not sure it is still there (Starting in 90's we took a different route to go to the Maritimes) but the place is called "The Log Cabin" and it is located in Newport, Maine which is just a few miles west of Bangor. A native of Bangor told us about this place which was famous for it's huge Sunday dinners and homemade pies. We stopped there many times and I always had the lobster roll and a piece of blueberry pie.........truly wonderful. I hope that it is still there because it was a wonderful real Roadfood restaurant.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18889
RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/16 11:33:18 (permalink)
The fact is the only lobster rolls I'll ever be eating are ones I make myself. I won't ever return to Connecticut, or any other part of New England. Thomas Wolfe was right. You can't go home again.
tamandmik
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 949
RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/16 12:41:05 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by FrankBooth

Lobster Roll from Red's Eats in Wiscasset is one of the great culinary delights of the modern world. perfectly cooked, super fresh, ice cold, melt in your mouth lobster, barely needs any butter, the buttered nissan roll is perfectly grilled, the roll is overflowing with lobster meat, dab the top of the roll with one small line of drawn butter and you are in heaven. no mayo, no nothing. just clean, brine-y, fresh fresh fresh lobster meat. pure. perfect. i have not had a Red's yet this season (are they open yet?), but i hope to eat tons of them soon. i can easily eat 2 Red's Lobster rolls in a sitting (and though expensive, i believe they are worth every penny), and still have room to finish my daughter's grilled cheese and fries... beyond that, it's tough to achieve that kind of lobster roll perfection. in season in maine, when fresh, however, you can get an excellent lobster roll at any number of places (even moody's diner, in season, has a nice cheap lobster roll). but few can come close to red's- sea basket down the road is quite good too, but red's is king, imho... hope that helps some... enjoy fb

I really need to get back to Reds. It might be the only place worth going 200-300 miles out of the way to eat, because I can't think of a place in proximity that can replicate that lobster roll.

I couldn't agree with this description more.
BunglingBill
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 218
RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/16 15:53:49 (permalink)
YES!

In my continuing research into lobster and lobter rolls, I found this OUTSTANDING commentary, by the venerable New York Times , on the subject:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?sec=travel&res=9C01E4DF113FF937A3575BC0A9609C8B63&n=Top%2FNews%2FScience%2FTopics%2FLobsters

Bill
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15321
RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/16 16:13:35 (permalink)
WJ,
Just to keep you from getting lost in the Wilds of Mass.--- The Diner is in SOMERVILLE, on the North Side of Boston (but close in).
BakersBoy
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 302
RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/16 16:21:13 (permalink)
The first lobster roll I ever had was in Ogunquit, Maine. Long before the transformation into tourist spot. The roll was toasted and the lobster was hot. It cost about three dollars. Of course this was in 1977.

Unfortunately, I have not have one since.

BB
doggydaddy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1847
RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/16 16:31:54 (permalink)

Not that this is the definite answer, but it is funny that this is listed in the this weeks Recipe section:

http://www.roadfood.com/Recipes/Recipe.aspx?RecipeID=250

mark
tamandmik
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 949
RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/16 16:33:03 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by BunglingBill

YES!

In my continuing research into lobster and lobter rolls, I found this OUTSTANDING commentary, by the venerable New York Times , on the subject:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?sec=travel&res=9C01E4DF113FF937A3575BC0A9609C8B63&n=Top%2FNews%2FScience%2FTopics%2FLobsters

Bill

Is the NY Times hiring any others to write articles like this one? Wendy Knight is surely a privileged individual.

If I were a resident of Maine, I'd assemble a roadfood trip (much like NJ Hot Dogs) to replicate a pilgrimage such as this one. What a glorious day that must have been.
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6526
RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/16 16:53:58 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by tamandmik

quote:
Originally posted by BunglingBill

YES!

Bill

Is the NY Times hiring any others to write articles like this one? Wendy Knight is surely a privileged individual.

If I were a resident of Maine, I'd assemble a roadfood trip (much like NJ Hot Dogs) to replicate a pilgrimage such as this one. What a glorious day that must have been.

Now that would be an awesome roadtrip to partake of, when do we leave??
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/16 18:14:27 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by BakersBoy

The first lobster roll I ever had was in Ogunquit, Maine. Long before the transformation into tourist spot. The roll was toasted and the lobster was hot. It cost about three dollars. Of course this was in 1977.

Unfortunately, I have not have one since.

BB

The first lobster roll I ever had was at the place where they invented the Connecticut-style lobster roll, Perry's. I have no idea how much it cost because I was 4 years old. But, in the '40s, '50s and early '60s I never paid more than 75-cents for a lobster roll in Connecticut.
FrankBooth
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 185
RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/16 19:51:13 (permalink)
quote:

Now that would be an awesome roadtrip to partake of, when do we leave??

this is how i spend my summers in maine- driving up and down the coast eating lobster rolls. i am lucky in that my wife grew up in the next town over from wiscasset and so spending time at my mother in laws place in the summers is FILLED with red's eats and sea basket lobster rolls. lobster is not very fattening btw, it's the butter. but a red's roll barely needs butter, it's so moist and flavorfull and fresh and crips...
dmcpdc
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/16 19:54:29 (permalink)
Stick with the hot lobster. It's a weird love - and you got it, or you ain't.
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8662
RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/17 09:04:25 (permalink)
I love lobster,I love melted butter,I love a good roll.While I have never had a lobster roll, the combination sounds like a true winner to me.And living in Wisconsin,the chances of me getting one are zero.Time to travel!!! P.S.I like Mr.Hoffman,I respect his opinions as they are well stated and based in fact,and he is politely brusque when provoked,unlike others on this site.'nuff said...
Blower
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 69
RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/06/01 02:48:07 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by dayle long

Why waste a roll.

Why shell your own lobster?

Roll: Can get hot or cold
Full lobster: Starts out hot, room temp to cold by the time your done

Roll: Ready for immediate consumption
Lobster: Ready for implements of destruction

Roll: Mobile
Lobster: Umm no

Acutally I like both

lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7315
RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/06/01 04:51:22 (permalink)
Forget the mayo, forget the celery, just give me a whole lobster, straight out of the steamer, dripping with butter and lemon. Somebody call Yankee Lobster RIGHT NOW!

Right, Mike?!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/06/01 10:53:39 (permalink)
If you were asking me, I'll take a couple of those, although I prefer mine baked or broiled, and stuffed with lobster, crab and scallops.
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1