Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls?

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
dadetigl
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 120
  • Joined: 2006/03/12 19:12:00
  • Location: Dade City, FL
  • Status: offline
2007/04/13 22:04:35 (permalink)

Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls?

Being from Florida with family in Boston and Maine, whenever we go up there to visit (summertime if possible) everyone says that we have to get a lobster roll. This forum too. So I do. I have not been impressed. I love steamed, broiled or boiled lobster when it's warm or hot and eat it as often as I can when visiting up there. Tastes fantastic. For me, cold, cool or room temp lobster has only the texture and doesn't have that great lobster flavor to justify the high cost of the roll. Tried one in November '06 at the Clam Shack in Ipswich (full-bodied clams were great) and was not impressed. Over the years I have tried places along the Maine coast and Boston trying to find out what everyone is talking about. Butter or mayo based sauces don't increase the flavor for me. Should I have them warm the lobster for me before they put it in the roll or are my taste buds just shot? Should I just give up and stick with whole steamed lobsters?
Honestly, what am I missing?




#1

79 Replies Related Threads

    mollydingle
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 221
    • Joined: 2005/10/14 15:30:00
    • Location: Lawrence, MA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/13 22:45:20 (permalink)
    That's OK. If they don't float your boat, they don't float your boat. I don't like clams, which is sorta like admitting you kick puppies.
    Enjoy what you like- the rest of us will eat lobster rolls and enjoy them!
    #2
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5071
    • Joined: 2006/04/15 23:17:00
    • Location: "Big D"
    • Status: offline
    RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/13 23:21:44 (permalink)
    Puleeeeze! A well made lobster roll is one of the simplest and most pleasurable of all "roadfood" delights.
    #3
    dadetigl
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 120
    • Joined: 2006/03/12 19:12:00
    • Location: Dade City, FL
    • Status: offline
    RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/13 23:54:23 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by twinwillow

    Puleeeeze! A well made lobster roll is one of the simplest and most pleasurable of all "roadfood" delights.


    I have read statements like this countless times, but no one ever goes on to say why they like them or what makes them great. Explain please.
    #4
    FrankBooth
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 185
    • Joined: 2005/05/24 01:21:00
    • Location: Brooklyn, NY
    • Status: offline
    RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/14 01:04:36 (permalink)
    Lobster Roll from Red's Eats in Wiscasset is one of the great culinary delights of the modern world. perfectly cooked, super fresh, ice cold, melt in your mouth lobster, barely needs any butter, the buttered nissan roll is perfectly grilled, the roll is overflowing with lobster meat, dab the top of the roll with one small line of drawn butter and you are in heaven. no mayo, no nothing. just clean, brine-y, fresh fresh fresh lobster meat. pure. perfect. i have not had a Red's yet this season (are they open yet?), but i hope to eat tons of them soon. i can easily eat 2 Red's Lobster rolls in a sitting (and though expensive, i believe they are worth every penny), and still have room to finish my daughter's grilled cheese and fries... beyond that, it's tough to achieve that kind of lobster roll perfection. in season in maine, when fresh, however, you can get an excellent lobster roll at any number of places (even moody's diner, in season, has a nice cheap lobster roll). but few can come close to red's- sea basket down the road is quite good too, but red's is king, imho... hope that helps some... enjoy fb
    #5
    C Turner Joy
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 159
    • Joined: 2005/07/11 23:05:00
    • Status: offline
    RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/14 01:49:12 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by FrankBooth

    Lobster Roll from Red's Eats in Wiscasset is one of the great culinary delights of the modern world. perfectly cooked, super fresh, ice cold, melt in your mouth lobster, barely needs any butter, the buttered nissan roll is perfectly grilled, the roll is overflowing with lobster meat, dab the top of the roll with one small line of drawn butter and you are in heaven. no mayo, no nothing. just clean, brine-y, fresh fresh fresh lobster meat. pure. perfect. i have not had a Red's yet this season (are they open yet?), but i hope to eat tons of them soon. i can easily eat 2 Red's Lobster rolls in a sitting (and though expensive, i believe they are worth every penny), and still have room to finish my daughter's grilled cheese and fries... beyond that, it's tough to achieve that kind of lobster roll perfection. in season in maine, when fresh, however, you can get an excellent lobster roll at any number of places (even moody's diner, in season, has a nice cheap lobster roll). but few can come close to red's- sea basket down the road is quite good too, but red's is king, imho... hope that helps some... enjoy fb



    Damn. Said.
    #6
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6807
    • Joined: 2003/03/22 23:42:00
    • Location: Gahanna, OH
    • Status: offline
    RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/14 06:32:50 (permalink)
    Having been in the lobster biz, I don't really see the allure of a "lobster roll" either. I used to dive for lobsters off of Newburyport and liked to eat them quite simply, steamed, with butter. Forget the bread, the mayo and the celery. Just bring on the lobster!!
    #7
    acornlover
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 394
    • Joined: 2003/08/05 07:27:00
    • Location: Harvard, MA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/14 07:26:44 (permalink)
    Just a heads up , I think I read in my Lincoln County News that Red's opens for the season April 16, I hope to get there before the lines are too long!

    KB
    #8
    BunglingBill
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 218
    • Joined: 2007/03/16 15:05:00
    • Location: Nashville, TN
    • Status: offline
    RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/14 07:48:36 (permalink)
    Personally speaking ... I LOVE lobster, especially Maine lobster.

    But, for MY part, give ME the lobster ... YOU keep the bread and all the other "stuff" that gets in the way of the wonderful lobster meat!
    #9
    doggydaddy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1847
    • Joined: 2006/06/11 18:39:00
    • Location: Austin, TX...got smoke?
    • Status: offline
    RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/14 08:30:55 (permalink)


    Maybe you should see your Doctor and have a lenguoscopy/tongue exam...

    I have not eaten the prerequisite amount of Lobster rolls here in New England due to my thrifty nature. I will go for fried belly clams instead. For the price of a whole lobster compared to a roll, you will have twice the meat. You can make two rolls for the price of one. Since you don't care for them, you can have a nice dinner instead.

    You really want to know why they are so boring to you? You're from the south where spices and seasonings are prevalent. There is no hot sauce on most of the tables up here.

    mark
    #10
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5071
    • Joined: 2006/04/15 23:17:00
    • Location: "Big D"
    • Status: offline
    RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/14 10:52:24 (permalink)
    Aw, shucks! Cain't anyone just say, "they taste great"!
    Sure, I love a whole steamed 2 pounder just as much as the next guy (or, gal).
    But, a lobster roll is a totally different eating experience.
    Kinda like comparing a great cheeseburger, loaded with onions and all the fixuns on a great bun to a plain hamburger steak dinner. Get it?



    #11
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18436
    • Joined: 2000/07/01 08:52:00
    • Location: Gahanna, OH
    • Status: online
    RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/14 11:32:17 (permalink)
    Try a Connecticut-style lobster roll. A real one. That's hot buttered lobster overflowing a buttered bun.
    #12
    planojim
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 175
    • Joined: 2005/03/25 09:52:00
    • Location: plano, TX
    • Status: offline
    RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/14 15:41:54 (permalink)
    I'm with you dadetigl. There have been several places that I've been to, that people have raved about, where you eat and go....meh.

    I won't name names because people get all up in arms..."how dare you not like that. That place is awesome." and it's like you called thier child ugly or something.

    just put it down to different strokes for different folks.
    #13
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18436
    • Joined: 2000/07/01 08:52:00
    • Location: Gahanna, OH
    • Status: online
    RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/14 15:54:35 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BunglingBill
    [brI guess what I am saying is . . . WHAT THE HELL are you talking about?

    Seems pretty clear to me. He's saying that he can understand the fact that the poster didn't care for the lobster rolls he or she had.
    #14
    dadetigl
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 120
    • Joined: 2006/03/12 19:12:00
    • Location: Dade City, FL
    • Status: offline
    RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/14 17:06:59 (permalink)
    Ok, hypothetically, suppose the owner of a great seafood restaurant comes up to your table and sets down the BEST steamed lobster with butter AND the BEST lobster roll side by side and says it's on the house but you can only eat one or the other, not both. Which would you choose? Don't think about price (it's free) or quantity. Just which one you like the best.
    Maybe it's an unfair question, but steamed lobster w/ butter for me.
    #15
    sizz
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1685
    • Joined: 2004/02/12 00:12:00
    • Location: San Jose, CA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/14 17:47:10 (permalink)
    quote:
    dadetigl Posted - 04/13/2007 : 22:04:35
    Honestly, what am I missing?

    Lobster rolls ....................... I think I see dadetigl's dilemma................. he/she had eaten a lobster roll in November ............. a cold rainy day in northeast Mass is not the place to be eating a lobster roll..... that's hot chowder weather.
    Lobster rolls are a summer kind of thing............. cool lobster,soft bun, a bright summer day over looking a cobalt blue sea................ hummmmmmmmmmmmm now that's when a lobster roll is to be eaten.
    It's the same reason a hot-dog tastes so good at a ballpark.............. know what I mean?
    #16
    iqdiva
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1491
    • Joined: 2002/07/16 11:06:00
    • Location: Dothan,Alabama,
    • Status: offline
    RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/14 17:48:14 (permalink)
    The steamed lobster !
    #17
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18436
    • Joined: 2000/07/01 08:52:00
    • Location: Gahanna, OH
    • Status: online
    RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/14 17:56:09 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by dadetigl

    Ok, hypothetically, suppose the owner of a great seafood restaurant comes up to your table and sets down the BEST steamed lobster with butter AND the BEST lobster roll side by side and says it's on the house but you can only eat one or the other, not both. Which would you choose? Don't think about price (it's free) or quantity. Just which one you like the best.
    Maybe it's an unfair question, but steamed lobster w/ butter for me.

    The lobster roll for me. I don't care for steamed lobster, unless I'm going to use the meat for lobster rolls or for stuffing a broiled or baked lobster.
    #18
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18436
    • Joined: 2000/07/01 08:52:00
    • Location: Gahanna, OH
    • Status: online
    RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/14 17:57:35 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by sizz

    quote:
    dadetigl Posted - 04/13/2007 : 22:04:35
    Honestly, what am I missing?

    Lobster rolls ....................... I think I see dadetigl's dilemma................. he/she had eaten a lobster roll in November ............. a cold rainy day in northeast Mass is not the place to be eating a lobster roll..... that's hot chowder weather.
    Lobster rolls are a summer kind of thing............. cool lobster,soft bun, a bright summer day over looking a cobalt blue sea................ hummmmmmmmmmmmm now that's when a lobster roll is to be eaten.
    It's the same reason a hot-dog tastes so good at a ballpark.............. know what I mean?

    Obviously, you've never eaten a real lobster roll -- hot buttered lobster on a grilled, buttered bun.
    #19
    dadetigl
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 120
    • Joined: 2006/03/12 19:12:00
    • Location: Dade City, FL
    • Status: offline
    RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/14 19:00:42 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

    quote:
    Originally posted by sizz

    quote:
    dadetigl Posted - 04/13/2007 : 22:04:35
    Honestly, what am I missing?

    Lobster rolls ....................... I think I see dadetigl's dilemma................. he/she had eaten a lobster roll in November ............. a cold rainy day in northeast Mass is not the place to be eating a lobster roll..... that's hot chowder weather.
    Lobster rolls are a summer kind of thing............. cool lobster,soft bun, a bright summer day over looking a cobalt blue sea................ hummmmmmmmmmmmm now that's when a lobster roll is to be eaten.
    It's the same reason a hot-dog tastes so good at a ballpark.............. know what I mean?

    Obviously, you've never eaten a real lobster roll -- hot buttered lobster on a grilled, buttered bun.


    Had one buttered roll but it wasn't hot and the others had some kind of Mayo based sauce on them and all I tasted was the mayo. So if I ever happen to stop in a place that serves the "hot buttered lobster on a grilled, buttered bun", I will give it one more shot. It is an expensive quest.

    Maybe I'll try making roll at home sometime. Anything on it besides butter?

    Yes, a warm or hot, hot dog at the game is great. A cool or cold hot dog at the ballpark? No.

    It's he by the way.
    #20
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5071
    • Joined: 2006/04/15 23:17:00
    • Location: "Big D"
    • Status: offline
    RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/14 19:02:02 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by dadetigl

    Ok, hypothetically, suppose the owner of a great seafood restaurant comes up to your table and sets down the BEST steamed lobster with butter AND the BEST lobster roll side by side and says it's on the house but you can only eat one or the other, not both. Which would you choose? Don't think about price (it's free) or quantity. Just which one you like the best.
    Maybe it's an unfair question, but steamed lobster w/ butter for me.


    I think the whole point is being overlooked here. This is NOT a lobster roll/steamed lobster dinner debate.
    Mearly that, "dadetigl" doesn't understand the passion some of us have for lobster rolls. To decide which to eat per the above thread, I would have to know if I was sitting down to a lobster "dinner" or, grabbing a roadfood lobster roll for a quick lunch. Does that not make any sense?
    #21
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18436
    • Joined: 2000/07/01 08:52:00
    • Location: Gahanna, OH
    • Status: online
    RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/14 19:09:56 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by dadetigl
    [brHad one buttered roll but it wasn't hot and the others had some kind of Mayo based sauce on them and all I tasted was the mayo. So if I ever happen to stop in a place that serves the "hot buttered lobster on a grilled, buttered bun", I will give it one more shot. It is an expensive quest.

    Maybe I'll try making roll at home sometime. Anything on it besides butter?



    There's nothing on a Connecticut-style lobster roll but lobster and butter. You take cooked lobster meat and you warm it in melted butter. You take a regular or New England-style (top-split, as opposed to side split)hot dog bun and you butter the outside and toast the bun on a grill or griddle, and then you pile in the buttered lobster meat. It's simple, it's hot, it's messy and it is wonderful.
    #22
    planojim
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 175
    • Joined: 2005/03/25 09:52:00
    • Location: plano, TX
    • Status: offline
    RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/14 19:47:02 (permalink)
    bungling bill, I'll type slower this time so you can understand.

    People that rave about restaurants or certain foodstuffs seem to get offended when you don't like what they do. In this case, a lobster roll.

    Personally, I don't get the allure. But, a lot of people like them.

    different strokes for different folks.
    #23
    sizz
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1685
    • Joined: 2004/02/12 00:12:00
    • Location: San Jose, CA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/14 21:28:09 (permalink)
    quote:
    Michael Hoffman Posted - 04/14/2007 : 19:09:56

    There's nothing on a Connecticut-style lobster roll but lobster and butter. You take cooked lobster meat and you warm it in melted butter. You take a regular or New England-style (top-split, as opposed to side split)hot dog bun and you butter the outside and toast the bun on a grill or griddle, and then you pile in the buttered lobster meat. It's simple, it's hot, it's messy and it is wonderful.


    Obviously, you've never eaten a real lobster roll -- cool lobster,soft bun, a little mayo a bright summer day over looking a cobalt blue sea................ some where on the east coast far far away from any Connecticut Yankee who wouldn't know a real lobster roll if it hit him in the backside
    #24
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18436
    • Joined: 2000/07/01 08:52:00
    • Location: Gahanna, OH
    • Status: online
    RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/14 21:43:07 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by sizz

    quote:
    Michael Hoffman Posted - 04/14/2007 : 19:09:56

    There's nothing on a Connecticut-style lobster roll but lobster and butter. You take cooked lobster meat and you warm it in melted butter. You take a regular or New England-style (top-split, as opposed to side split)hot dog bun and you butter the outside and toast the bun on a grill or griddle, and then you pile in the buttered lobster meat. It's simple, it's hot, it's messy and it is wonderful.


    Obviously, you've never eaten a real lobster roll -- cool lobster,soft bun, a little mayo a bright summer day over looking a cobalt blue sea................ some where on the east coast far far away from any Connecticut Yankee who wouldn't know a real lobster roll if it hit him in the backside

    If I wanted lobster salad I'd get it on a plate.
    #25
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6385
    • Joined: 2006/07/06 19:49:00
    • Location: Live at Saint Clair
    • Status: offline
    RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/14 21:48:15 (permalink)
    Dadetigl - Everyone has thier own opinion, you may not like lobster rolls, there is no need trying them over and over again if you do not like them. Stick with the whole lobster or tail.

    I have eaten lobster rolls both warm and cold, both sizz and Michael Hoffman make valid points.

    Sizz, you are right about eating a lobster roll on a warm summer day staring into the cobalt blue sky being comparable to a hot dawg at a ballpark.

    MH you are right when describing the Connecticut roll, simple and delicious



    Dadetigl - you will never find an exact answer for everyone's tastes are different. Stick with what you enjoy. Experiment occaisionally but if you don't like the results stick to your original thoughts.

    As for me, a Maine style Lobster "salad" type roll in the summer is awesome, a connecticut style buttered lobster roll, is good any time.
    #26
    dadetigl
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 120
    • Joined: 2006/03/12 19:12:00
    • Location: Dade City, FL
    • Status: offline
    RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/14 22:01:35 (permalink)
    This is great. I love the banter. It seems that I have really stepped in the doggy-do this time by dissing a true Northeastern institution. Aka, the lobster roll.

    Doggydaddy actually said that us "Southerners" would not appreciate the lobster rolls because we use "spices, seasonings and hot sauce" in our food. I grew up in Ohio and the joke there was that the ONLY spices and seasonings were salt and pepper. Maybe the south should secede again from the north based on our culinary tastes. :) You keep the lobster rolls and we will keep our crawfish and shrimp boils.

    #27
    iqdiva
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1491
    • Joined: 2002/07/16 11:06:00
    • Location: Dothan,Alabama,
    • Status: offline
    RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/14 22:16:08 (permalink)
    Doggydaddy,I am a born and bred S.E.Alabamian.And,I do indeed profoundly appreciate a New England lobster roll...My mother's younger sister married a nice gentleman from Lewiston,Maine in 1945...We have visited Maine several times ( they now live in Greene,Maine)and my late mother,husband and I can truthfully say that we all adore lobster rolls !
    #28
    dadetigl
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 120
    • Joined: 2006/03/12 19:12:00
    • Location: Dade City, FL
    • Status: offline
    RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/14 22:31:06 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

    quote:
    Originally posted by dadetigl
    [brHad one buttered roll but it wasn't hot and the others had some kind of Mayo based sauce on them and all I tasted was the mayo. So if I ever happen to stop in a place that serves the "hot buttered lobster on a grilled, buttered bun", I will give it one more shot. It is an expensive quest.

    Maybe I'll try making roll at home sometime. Anything on it besides butter?



    There's nothing on a Connecticut-style lobster roll but lobster and butter. You take cooked lobster meat and you warm it in melted butter. You take a regular or New England-style (top-split, as opposed to side split)hot dog bun and you butter the outside and toast the bun on a grill or griddle, and then you pile in the buttered lobster meat. It's simple, it's hot, it's messy and it is wonderful.


    Sounds simple enough, but how do I do the bun? It sounds like the bun is a big part of the overall experience and a hot dog bun won't cut it. Should I buy unsliced white bread and craft my own bun? I know what they look like from experience but we don't see those kind of buns for sale commercially down here.
    #29
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18436
    • Joined: 2000/07/01 08:52:00
    • Location: Gahanna, OH
    • Status: online
    RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/14 22:51:58 (permalink)
    A plain old hotdog bun is standard. In Connecticut, where I grew up, you get them served in both the regular hotdog buns and the New England type buns. Here in central Ohio I can get the New England-style buns that are top cut as opposed to the standard side-cut hotdog buns. And I use both. Just butter the outsides and grill them to get then toasty on the outside. Some people butter the insides and toast them there, too. I find that the buns often come apart when I try that.
    #30
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1