Amazing ice cream in New Paltz, NY

Author
HughYeman
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 84
2005/06/03 13:11:24 (permalink)

Amazing ice cream in New Paltz, NY

On Monday my mate and I were in New Paltz and we stopped at Wallkill View Farm Market & Greenhouse, on Route 299 just west of town. We shared a cone of their homemade ice cream and we agreed it was the best we'd had in a long time. If you're in town, check 'em out.

-Hugh

9 Replies Related Threads

aleswench
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 686
    RE: Amazing ice cream in New Paltz, NY 2005/06/03 13:37:09 (permalink)
    How was the Greenhouse and market? Reasonable? Good quality? Plants and/or produce? We were pondering going to New Paltz this weekend - and stopping at Rivendell Winery. Is there by chance a butcher near there as well? Have to look at some of Seafarer John's past posts for some other recommendations. I seem to recall a BBQ place....
    HughYeman
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 84
    RE: Amazing ice cream in New Paltz, NY 2005/06/03 14:08:56 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by aleswench

How was the Greenhouse and market? Reasonable? Good quality? Plants and/or produce? We were pondering going to New Paltz this weekend - and stopping at Rivendell Winery. Is there by chance a butcher near there as well? Have to look at some of Seafarer John's past posts for some other recommendations. I seem to recall a BBQ place....

I'm afraid I can't comment with any authority about the greenhouse because we just started gardening, but the stuff certainly looked good to me. I picked up a double portulaca and a little "Steppables" ground-cover plant for about $3 each. They had gardening products, two greenhouses, produce, baked goods, a few groceries, and ice cream.

I don't recall seeing a butcher in town, but you never know.

Judging from your screen name, I need to call your attention to two venues in the area if you don't know about them already: The Gilded Otter (http://www.gildedotter.com) and Half Time Beverage (http://www.halftimebeverage.com). I'm a bit of a beer geek myself so believe me when I say that you want to grab a pint at Gilded Otter, which is just down the road from the greenhouse. I've gotten a few burgers and some soup there and all of it was very good. The atmosphere is not so nice - very noisy and crowded, and not very hospitable - so I recommend going there during the day when it's quieter. Half Time, just across the Hudson in Poughkeepsie, is a beer geek's paradise. Not only do they have an unbeatable selection of imports from all over the planet at reasonable prices, they have *twelve taps*, some of which may be pouring beer you won't find anywhere else. They fill growlers and - get this - ten ounce mini-growlers! Check out the site; I guarantee your jaw will drop at the tap selection.

-Hugh
    aleswench
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Amazing ice cream in New Paltz, NY 2005/06/03 14:16:02 (permalink)
    Thanks! We've been to the Guilded Otter and it was very good. Next time you go, I'd recommend the "pear pizza" - it is wonderful. We went there on a weekend trip a a Renaissance Faire that used to be held in Kingston NY. However, didn't know about Half Time. I think the "12 Taps" statement just sealed our fate. My hubby (Alesrus) is the King of the Beer Geeks
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Amazing ice cream in New Paltz, NY 2005/06/04 14:41:05 (permalink)
    Walkill View Farm, run by the Ferrante family is a local institution. We always buy plants in the Spring, and our Xmas tree there - we like the people and they have good quality products- if a bit pricy in comparison with other local purveyors. It is basicly a farm stand selling the World's Best Sweet Corn and other local produce in season (corn season usually starts shortly after July 4th), and homemade pies and cookies, etc.

Gilded Otter has good fresh beer and ales- cant say much for the food - in the evening in nice weather they have a comfortable patio for dinner. A good chile dog can be found up the street at Macho's, and a good hamburger at P&Gs bar and restaurant also on Main Street. We have a very good Italian butcher on Main Street, Toscani's - he usually has very nicely aged steaks available. Excellent seafood can be gotten at Gadaletto's Seafod further up Main Street . If anyone tells you Barnaby's on N. Chestnut Street has the best hamburger in town they are talking about ten years ago, under different management .The place has two very nice comfortable dining rooms- it's a shame they dont shape up the kitchen.

Excellent Italian food is available at Lombardi's on Rt 44/55 in Gardiner , a town just south of New Paltz, and if you are in Gardiner there is a very good soup and sandwich shop in a little strip mall just on the edge of the hamlet.

Aleswench: If you guys are coming to New Paltz, give us a call, we'd like to meet up with you at Rivendell and taste a few wines (845) 255 - 1649.

Cheers, John
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Amazing ice cream in New Paltz, NY 2005/06/05 12:05:29 (permalink)
    My wife tells me the ice cream at Walkill View Farm is "Janes Homemade Ice Cream"" made in Kingston NY, and it is very good ice cream- and pricey.

Cheers, John
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Amazing ice cream in New Paltz, NY 2005/06/05 12:07:41 (permalink)
    My wife tells me the ice cream at Walkill View Farm is "Janes Homemade Ice Cream"" made in Kingston NY, and it is very good ice cream- and pricey.

Cheers, John
    aleswench
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Amazing ice cream in New Paltz, NY 2005/06/06 09:32:37 (permalink)
    We never made it there, unfortunately, this weekend. Just wasn't in the cards - but we do want to get there soon. Is there a weekend that's good for you? I believe we don't have much going on until July -I'd really love to get to Rivendell....
    ConeyIslandLou
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 753
    RE: Amazing ice cream in New Paltz, NY 2005/06/06 10:13:39 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by aleswench

We never made it there, unfortunately, this weekend. Just wasn't in the cards - but we do want to get there soon. Is there a weekend that's good for you? I believe we don't have much going on until July -I'd really love to get to Rivendell....

Too bad you and alesaurus cant meet SF,Benzee and myself for Coney Island frankfurters in Middletown Wednesday afternoon....
    aleswench
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Amazing ice cream in New Paltz, NY 2005/06/06 13:05:16 (permalink)
    Totally wish we could - and I'm tempted, believe me...but have to pass on that. Maybe we can all hook up one weekend. That would be great!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1