The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Ambulance Girl by Jane Stern.....a movie?

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 44 of 44
Lexi

• Total Posts: 248
RE: Ambulance Girl by Jane Stern.....a movie? Tue, 09/13/05 6:02 PM (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Stern

quote:
Originally posted by aleswench

...at times I wanted to cover my ears and start singing the alphabet really loud – lol…

Imagine how I felt!

Michael,

For God's sake don't be embarrased! At least the two of you found each other again and were able to stay together. I am going to suggest 'Ambulance Girl' as a selection for my bookclub - we could all use a little happy ending now and again!

Bushie

• Total Posts: 2902
    RE: Ambulance Girl by Jane Stern.....a movie? Tue, 09/13/05 6:09 PM (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Stern

quote:
    Originally posted by aleswench

...at times I wanted to cover my ears and start singing the alphabet really loud – lol…

Imagine how I felt!

LOL !!!!

stanpnepa

• Total Posts: 575
      RE: Ambulance Girl by Jane Stern.....a movie? Tue, 09/13/05 6:24 PM (permalink)
      I enjoyed the movie too...Kathy Bates did a nice job. It was a little sugary (we're talking Lifetime here), but the story was told with heart. The book was better---but the book usually is. I felt a little odd at times eavesdropping on their marital problem...though I had no problem reading about them!!

Oh by the way...if the cooking TV segment really happened that way, Food Network should sign the Sterns up pronto!!! I don't know if there has ever been a married couple food show, so it's long overdue!!!

ken8038

• Total Posts: 1559
        RE: Ambulance Girl by Jane Stern.....a movie? Tue, 09/13/05 7:05 PM (permalink)
        I saw the movie last night. For all the years I've read and loved the Roadfood Books (since the First One!) I knew precious little about the Sterns themselves. I think I was vaguely aware that Jane had suffered from depression, but I had no idea Michael was an alcoholic. Ironically over the years when I discussed the Roadfood books with friends or my wife, my one criticism was they went to very few local bars and taverns, and to me these are also a great source of Roadfood finds. It's not clear where Micheal did his drinking (did Michael even have any say in how he was portrayed in the movie?), but I guess it wasn't in bars.

Anyway, it was actually refreshing to see that the Sterns are not perfect, and they hit this right away in an opening scene where Jane narrates that many times people have come up to her and commented how they envied them. I don't feel quite so jealous of thier lifestyle now, not that I ever really did, but you get my drift. everyone has problems. Except on Lifetime they are usually resolved within 2 hours. --Ken

jeepguy

• Total Posts: 1555
          RE: Ambulance Girl by Jane Stern.....a movie? Tue, 09/13/05 7:30 PM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by huntryce

I missed it. Lifetime's website shows it airing again Thursday at 9 p.m.
          That's correct. Already programmed into my tivo.

tarragon

• Total Posts: 354
            RE: Ambulance Girl by Jane Stern.....a movie? Tue, 09/13/05 9:38 PM (permalink)
            Just wanted to add that my daughter and I watched the movie together and both of us enjoyed it. It's funny because of participating in the forums here (and even going to one roadfood meet & greet), I've come to feel like I "knew" the Sterns - well, at least Michael, as I've never seen Jane post here, and btw, Jane, I'd love to see your posts here too. Haven't read the book, but am going to get it now. Had to laugh, though, and admit that I too felt like we were getting TMI about Jane & Michael! How wonderful that they worked through their problems and remained together. Congratulations to you both!

aleswench

• Total Posts: 686
              RE: Ambulance Girl by Jane Stern.....a movie? Wed, 09/14/05 10:49 AM (permalink)
              quote:

Oh by the way...if the cooking TV segment really happened that way, Food Network should sign the Sterns up pronto!!! I don't know if there has ever been a married couple food show, so it's long overdue!!!

I could not help but laugh as I washed the cheese grater last night...

911mom

• Total Posts: 19
                RE: Ambulance Girl by Jane Stern.....a movie? Wed, 09/14/05 9:25 PM (permalink)
                My Mom got me the book when it first came out so I eagerly anticipated seeing the movie. What a great movie! I laughed so hard when the baby's (mannequin) head flew off. It reminded me of the time that I blew the mannequins lungs out of the bottom of it and hit one of my other classmates leg. I also remember beating the h..l out of Rescue Randy. Also sneaking him out and driving him around town (think roof rack). Being involved in volly EMS and Fire in a small rural area, it was a very comfortable movie because I could relate to so much of it (including hubbys snits until he got involved). Bravo Jane and Michael and Thank You!

huntryce

• Total Posts: 115
                  RE: Ambulance Girl by Jane Stern.....a movie? Fri, 09/16/05 8:52 AM (permalink)
                  Well, I had company last night so I couldn't watch it all the way through. Missed the cooking segment, the mannequin scene... missed lots. What I saw was plenty good. What a charged-up scene in the counselor's office!

Congrats to Michael and Jane for holding it together. Fantastic.

Lady Steed

• Total Posts: 1
                    RE: Ambulance Girl by Jane Stern.....a movie? Fri, 09/16/05 5:10 PM (permalink)
                    I loved Ambulance Girl. I think it extremely brave to bare your souls and marriage that way, and the great thing is you two did not give up. I dated a paramedic and couple of EMT's so I totally relate to the spousal view of it. Good job and I love Road Food!

dreamzpainter

• Total Posts: 1609
                      RE: Ambulance Girl by Jane Stern.....a movie? Fri, 09/16/05 6:33 PM (permalink)
                      I have to admit I had never heard of the Sterns before finding this site, nor have I read any of their books. The movie sounded interesting from many points and it was..Even from the opposite side of the gender gap, the feeling of uncertainity and the mixture of euphoria mixed with wanting to quit. I had my redcross junior lifesaving badge at 14, senior at 16 and having joined the local vol ems was working on first responder, before I was 18 I was a cpr and first resonder instructor and working on state certified emt when I joined the Air Force and received med tech training. Back into civvy life and a paid ambulance service while still a volunteer and national registry Paramedic. You would think my g/f-future bride would understand what she was getting...... You would be wrong, she never understood the need to respond like pavlovs dog to the beeper/scanner in the middle of a movie, or dinner or whatever, the blood smeared uniforms, the nightmares. I was 30 when I went on my last run, the specifics are still crystal clear but unimportant, I had lost my empathy for the patients, a lap full of aspirated fluid was no longer rewarding... There are times I miss the adrenlin rush, the comradery. 18 yrs later the nigtmares still visit though thankfully few... Kudo's on the movie.... even more to Jane for sticking with it

Mosca

• Total Posts: 2933
                        RE: Ambulance Girl by Jane Stern.....a movie? Fri, 09/16/05 6:46 PM (permalink)
                        Chickflick, but a pretty decent one. Glad I caught it. 3 stars.

Tom

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3698
                          RE: Ambulance Girl by Jane Stern.....a movie? Thu, 07/6/06 12:54 PM (permalink)
                          Congratulations to Kathy Bates, who earned an Emmy nomination for her role in Ambulance Girl.

Frankman

• Total Posts: 300
                            RE: Ambulance Girl by Jane Stern.....a movie? Wed, 12/19/07 1:51 PM (permalink)
                            I just saw the DVD Ambulance Girl and I was very impressed. I understand that hollywood takes certain liberties in content and brevity for certain reasons. But I would really would have liked a better character development for Michael. The point I got was that he was pretty much useless until he realized that he was about to lose everything. If that was the intent, then I got it. If not, then maybe we'll see it when they make Two For The Road" a movie. The only other little pet peeve I have is that I was expecting to see Jane's trademark hairdo. It is so distinguishable I don't know why they chose not to use it.
                            Jane, if per chance you read this, I worked at Norwalk Hospital in the early 80's. We may have met.
                            Very good movie!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                              Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 44 of 44

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                              • No New Messages
                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                              • Read Message
                              • Post New Thread
                              • Reply to message
                              • Post New Poll
                              • Submit Vote
                              • Post reward post
                              • Delete my own posts
                              • Delete my own threads
                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com