America's Best Hot Dogs........again

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
John Fox
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2339
2009/04/03 06:12:46 (permalink)

America's Best Hot Dogs........again

An article from MSN. I know they did one about a year ago, but this one might be new. I like reading the comments (185 plus pages) more than the article.

http://cityguides.msn.com/citylife/article.aspx?cp-documentid=6586895&GT1=24000

33 Replies Related Threads

ken8038
    • Total Posts : 1601
    Re:America's Best Hot Dogs........again 2009/04/03 09:41:49 (permalink)
    At least it sounds like he's actually BEEN to these places. I've seen lists where the writer really doesn't have a clue.
    MellowRoast
    • Total Posts : 2009
    Re:America's Best Hot Dogs........again 2009/04/03 09:50:22 (permalink)
    Excellent article!
    ayersian
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 903
    Re:America's Best Hot Dogs........again 2009/04/03 09:59:58 (permalink)
    For the first time in a very long time, here's a list that I actually agree with.  Ken8038 is right: it does seem like the guy's visited these places...even though he admits to being a science and medical writer.  The kid's missing his calling!    Chris
    jonsull
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 20
    Re:America's Best Hot Dogs........again 2009/04/03 10:01:22 (permalink)
    I'm making a trip to Philly (mostly a cheesesteak run) but Rutt's Hut is definitely on the itinerary...........
    jonsull
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 20
    Re:America's Best Hot Dogs........again 2009/04/03 10:01:50 (permalink)
    in June
    porkbeaks
    • Total Posts : 2217
    Re:America's Best Hot Dogs........again 2009/04/03 10:17:51 (permalink)
    I don't get around much and, when I do, I rarely order a hot dog. At home, I eat them regularly; my favorite is a Hebrew National 4/1. Yesterday, I purchased these 5/1 "gourmet" dogs and, even at 7.50 per pound (1.50 each), they are my new favorite. Find me a place  that serves these (perhaps in Texas) and they will get my vote for America's Best Hot Dog joint.  pb

BrooklynBill
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 189
    Re:America's Best Hot Dogs........again 2009/04/07 16:41:06 (permalink)
    Good article, John. I wish the author had taken a bite at Ted’s in Western New York. That dog deserves a mention.
    Bill
    adeptone
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 24
    Re:America's Best Hot Dogs........again 2009/04/08 12:35:00 (permalink)

He DID go to Ted's - last page of the article.
    sk bob
    • Total Posts : 1801
    Re:America's Best Hot Dogs........again 2009/04/08 22:34:26 (permalink)
    again I say, there can be no America's best list on ANYTHING  unless ONE PERSON went to and ate at EVERY place in the U.S.that serves & makes hot dogs and evaluated every dog they have eaten, then you have an accurate "best " list.
    I know I could do it if I had a sponsor.
    anybody?...somebody?
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18954
    Re:America's Best Hot Dogs........again 2009/04/08 23:37:04 (permalink)
    Did anyone notice this?

http://cityguides.msn.com/citylife/article.aspx?cp-documentid=6123284

A Field Guide To American Apizza
    BrooklynBill
    Cheeseburger
    Re:America's Best Hot Dogs........again 2009/04/09 05:09:50 (permalink)
    adeptone –
    Thank you. How could I have missed that!
    Bill

beijinger
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 180
    Re:America's Best Hot Dogs........again 2009/04/09 06:03:07 (permalink)
    Let's see pizza NY and New Haven. If you want alot of pizza Chicago and if you want it wild and unigue Cali.Anywhere else SOL use your frequent flyer miles agree except the great NW has Papa Murphy's take and bake to fill the need.
    ConeyIslandLou
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 753
    Re:America's Best Hot Dogs........again 2009/04/09 08:05:00 (permalink)
    The replies to that article show just exactly WHY the lowly hot dog is truly America's Food as opposed to say, hamburgers or pizza, and why it has resisted the inroads of  franchising/homoginazation.  Everybody has a different idea of what makes a great dog, where it is is easy to make a burger or pizza that the masses will take as 'acceptable'.  Plus, there is only so much you can do to a beef patty, where  the number of variations of thngs you can do with a dog are, if not infinite, are almost endless!  The ingredients of the dog itself....how its cooked...the toppings...the kind of buns you use...if any, all make make for a wonderful cocaphony of styles that make our friend the hot dog no.1!

Just look at New York State alone - Starting at NYC, with its dirty water Sabretts, Nathans and  Katz's, working your way upstate with the Texas hots and Coney Island dogs in the Hudson Valley, the little weiners in the Capitol District, and then working your way across the Thruway, with Hoffmans  snappers in Syracuse, Zweigles pop opens and white hots in Rochester, and Sahlens in Buffalo, any of which could claim as being the best dogs in the country, shows how the diversity of hot dogs has made it the REAL food of this country, and ow each part of the counry has its own distinctive, quality dog - which people will defend to the death as the best ever!

Look at the number of people who claim the rather plain dogs at the Varisty in Atlanta are the best ever!
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3152
    Re:America's Best Hot Dogs........again 2009/04/09 08:48:24 (permalink)
    ConeyIslandLou

The replies to that article show just exactly WHY the lowly hot dog is truly America's Food as opposed to say, hamburgers or pizza, and why it has resisted the inroads of  franchising/homoginazation.  Everybody has a different idea of what makes a great dog, where it is is easy to make a burger or pizza that the masses will take as 'acceptable'.  Plus, there is only so much you can do to a beef patty, where  the number of variations of thngs you can do with a dog are, if not infinite, are almost endless!  The ingredients of the dog itself....how its cooked...the toppings...the kind of buns you use...if any, all make make for a wonderful cocaphony of styles that make our friend the hot dog no.1!

Just look at New York State alone - Starting at NYC, with its dirty water Sabretts, Nathans and  Katz's, working your way upstate with the Texas hots and Coney Island dogs in the Hudson Valley, the little weiners in the Capitol District, and then working your way across the Thruway, with Hoffmans  snappers in Syracuse, Zweigles pop opens and white hots in Rochester, and Sahlens in Buffalo, any of which could claim as being the best dogs in the country, shows how the diversity of hot dogs has made it the REAL food of this country, and ow each part of the counry has its own distinctive, quality dog - which people will defend to the death as the best ever!

Look at the number of people who claim the rather plain dogs at the Varisty in Atlanta are the best ever!
    The masses may love Domino's and their ilk but folks who grew up eating great pizza know the difference in pizzas.  Folks who do not appreciate the taste of a great NY pizza are totally lost in the world of culinary delights.

adeptone
    Junior Burger
    Re:America's Best Hot Dogs........again 2009/04/09 11:23:22 (permalink)
    sk bob - unfortunately, every one's opinion is different as to what makes a good hot dog, or a great hot dog.  Here in the Lehigh Valley, people go gaga over Yocco's - which I don't understand, as I am not a fan.  SO, having one person taste every hot dog in America just wouldn't work, because there would always be dissenting opinions.

CILou stated basically the same point.

NYPizzaNut - You are correct, but once again, pizza is also a regional thing.  People around Philly and Southern NJ like something called a tomato pie - crust, tomato sauce, and maybe a sprinkling of parmesan; but no mozzarella!  And they fight about who makes the best, just like the cheesesteaks.  I concur, though - Domino's sucks, and ANY Mom & Pop pizza joint in the local area makes a better pizza at a better price.
    adeptone
    Junior Burger
    Re:America's Best Hot Dogs........again 2009/04/09 11:45:52 (permalink)
    BrooklynBill - No problem.  I actually had a chance to try a Ted's foot long hot dog when I was in Buffalo this past Labor Day for the Wing Eating Contest.  For the rest of you, they use a Sahlen's natural casing dog that is grilled over a charcoal fire.  Excellent dog - I have a picture, but I don't have my camera with me today.  I'll upload it when I get a chance.

Stopping at Ted's was worth the trip - I've been to Buffalo for the last three Labor Days, but this was the first chance I had to eat something other than the food at the Buffalo Wing Fest.
    sk bob
    Re:America's Best Hot Dogs........again 2009/04/09 15:25:03 (permalink)
    adeptone, you're right about Yoccos. I've stopped at the one  in Allentown a couple times, its ok not great, but ok.
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5117
    Re:America's Best Hot Dogs........again 2009/04/09 16:06:31 (permalink)
    sk bob

adeptone, you're right about Yoccos. I've stopped at the one  in Allentown a couple times, its ok not great, but ok.

I like Yoccos, but a friend I traveled that way with, and dragged their often, hated it.

Hey SK...as I was looking over the schedule for my local short track the SK hit me. Does it have anything to do with modified racing? 
    BrooklynBill
    Cheeseburger
    Re:America's Best Hot Dogs........again 2009/04/09 17:16:58 (permalink)
    ConeyIslandLou --
    Your post reply is well stated and very true.
    Thanks.
    Bill
    Benzee
    • Total Posts : 1878
    Re:America's Best Hot Dogs........again 2009/04/10 21:08:40 (permalink)
    Hello all ,

Well stated posts here , so true you are right Brooklyn Bill .

Benzee
    EmptyHighway
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 6
    Re:America's Best Hot Dogs........again 2009/04/12 16:44:24 (permalink)
    Hello,,,,,,  This will be my first post on roadfood,& hot dogs are a passion with me,  I do love em, I just had one of the best chili dogs of my 48 years @ Susans rest in N.W. Arkansas,   I have never seen a JUMBO FOOTLONG !    sliced & pan fried, the bud is toasted just right with butter & greese,  The chili is made right there, no way you can pick this bugger up & eat it,  onyons are grilled on request, toped with sharp chedder,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,O' MAN,  412 w in Springdale Ark. bout three blocks,,,,,,,,,,,,Empty

PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    Re:America's Best Hot Dogs........again 2009/04/12 17:06:02 (permalink)
    Bugger?
    Joe
    EmptyHighway
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 6
    Re:America's Best Hot Dogs........again 2009/04/12 17:27:54 (permalink)
    Justin Wilson Says" Onyons"
    Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3026
    Re:America's Best Hot Dogs........again 2009/04/12 20:46:49 (permalink)
    The lowly hot dog and Pittsburgh...Two of the most discussed subjects on this site.  How can you begin to pick the best hot dog?  SK is right on the $$..You can't!
    sk bob
    Re:America's Best Hot Dogs........again 2009/05/01 20:41:27 (permalink)
    sorry for the late response Tony, and you're right, I ran an SK modified for 15 yrs in the NE area & my friends called me sk bob.
    Jfburke2003
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 7
    Re:America's Best Hot Dogs........again 2009/08/25 21:48:32 (permalink)
    Best hot dogs by far are from Rochester NY. Must say the Zweigles Hot Dogs are by far the best natural casing hot dog.
    Buy them at zweigleshotsandmore.com

An article from MSN. I know they did one about a year ago, but this one might be new. I like reading the comments (185 plus pages) more than the article.

http://cityguides.msn.com/citylife/article.aspx?cp-documentid=6586895&GT1=24000

Judy1
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re:America's Best Hot Dogs........again 2009/10/19 14:25:21 (permalink)
    Wow! Great publicity from a guy who tightropes on copyright infringement.

ScreenBear
    • Total Posts : 1505
    Re:America's Best Hot Dogs........again 2011/08/11 23:54:51 (permalink)
    The general public knows more about Snookie than they do about hot dogs. Otherwise, manufacturers couldn't get away with the plethora of mediocre brands they sell. Then again, they couldn't survive just selling to the knowledgeable enthusiast. Nope, most folks see hot dogs as a novelty, a funny food you eat on a lark, whereas the serious and educated frank enthusiast looks upon that the way serious drinkers look at revelers on New Year's Eve: Amateurs!

I myself prefer what is often referred to as an Eastern, Jewish-style deli Hot Dog. In order of preference, this includes: Best Provision, of Newark, N.J.; Boar's Head all-beef n/c; Hatfield all-beef n/c made for the Eastern market; Hebrew National, Sabrett and Nathan's (actually, the last three are in a dead heat for 4th).

However, if I'm having a chili dog, I prefer a Thumann's pork beef n/c, preferably served at Hiram's in Ft. Lee, N.J., which, I feel, is one of the top three hot dog places not to miss if you are visiting our hot dog-rich state.

However, I must note, during a summer where I have traveled extensively, I do thoroughly enjoy the Vienna Beef hot dog of Chicago, run through the garden, naturally, and all the more better if it's obtained at Portillo's in that fair city.

And you know, I sure am fond of the Hofmann hot dogs one may avail themselves of at that great Mecca of N. Central N.Y. hot dogs, Heid's of Liverpool, on the fringe of Syracuse.

If it's a red one it's a Frank; if it's the white one, with a large component of veal, it's a Coney. Recently I enjoyed a Frank adorned with mustard, sauerkraut and relish, which was known as a Sweetworks in the Newark, N.J., neighborhood I come from, and on the Coney I had chili, onions and mustard. Both were very good.

These are mild hot dogs with a very delicate spice profile, and I must admit, part of my enthusiasm emanated from finally making it to this tube steak Taj Mahal that I've heard so much about over the years. I even enjoyed waiting in line for 1/2 hour, discussing the merits of different frankfurters with fellow customers.

Interestingly, about half the imbibers I spoke to were regular customers, the other half excited first-timers like myself. But drat, I forgot to get the chocolate milk from Byrnes Dairy that has been so long associated with Heid's. I wasn't enthusiastic enough to get back in line

Of further  note, and mildly ironic, while Heid’s is about 100 years old---much older if you calculate its pre-hot dog history---I also visited a hot dog emporium in Geneva, N.Y., just opened a few months ago, but serving the same exact dogs as Heid’s. But while Nick L’s of Geneva’s dogs were good, it was the onion rings that were positively world class.

Nick has a secret recipe and procedure to make the breading stick to the rings and he makes them from scratch. If you’re anywhere near and really like onion rings, try ‘em. Here’s their website. http://nickls.com/menu.html Dig the great slogan.

The Bear

jack520
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:America's Best Hot Dogs........again 2011/08/12 22:58:23 (permalink)
    I like this post ,because I learn some knowledge from it.Thank you very much.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1