American Burger - Manhattan, NY

Author
Dennis King
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
2003/03/17 14:27:48 (permalink)

American Burger - Manhattan, NY

Here it is! Good, sound, All American food, freshly ground meat, very good taste, grilled and prepared before you, with great toppings. They're put on like at a Harvey's in Canada - big bowls in front of you with servers loading your fav's onto your burger. The best are the fries, little one's but just the right flavor, you eat them all, even after they get cold. Prices are very reasonable for 1 block from the Empire State Bldg., they have chicken specials too, lots of salads - Yum!
Negatives: Neighborhood street people float in and out like birds at a picnic, looking for some leftovers, aisles a bit tight, and you have to watch your stuff - all worth the delicious aromas and flavors.

13 Replies Related Threads

RebeccaS
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 10
    RE: American Burger - Manhattan, NY 2003/03/18 17:13:52 (permalink)
    Hey! Thanks for the great tip! I'm headed right there this summer with a bunch of kids, and I'll keep this place in mind!
    wallhd
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 426
    RE: American Burger - Manhattan, NY 2003/03/18 18:02:24 (permalink)
    1 block from the ESB really narrows it right down. How about a more exact location?

Thanx

Wally
    adamholl
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: American Burger - Manhattan, NY 2003/03/18 19:09:57 (permalink)
    so where exactly is the place?
    Dennis King
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: American Burger - Manhattan, NY 2003/03/18 22:04:35 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by adamholl

so where exactly is the place?

Sorry, the address is 100 West 32nd. Phone is 212-695-6933.
    Right on corner, across from Holiday Inn Martinique.
    FlattedFifth
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 34
    RE: American Burger - Manhattan, NY 2003/06/30 21:48:28 (permalink)
    As far as I am concerned, the best burger in New York is served at McHales in Times Square/Hells Kitchen. Go for the bacon cheeseburger. The burger is huge and comes with enough crisp bacon to feed three for breakfast. Included is a large plate of streak fries which are surprisingly crispy. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.

quote:
    Originally posted by Dennis King

Here it is! Good, sound, All American food, freshly ground meat, very good taste, grilled and prepared before you, with great toppings. They're put on like at a Harvey's in Canada - big bowls in front of you with servers loading your fav's onto your burger. The best are the fries, little one's but just the right flavor, you eat them all, even after they get cold. Prices are very reasonable for 1 block from the Empire State Bldg., they have chicken specials too, lots of salads - Yum!
    Negatives: Neighborhood street people float in and out like birds at a picnic, looking for some leftovers, aisles a bit tight, and you have to watch your stuff - all worth the delicious aromas and flavors.
    Spudnut
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 655
    RE: American Burger - Manhattan, NY 2003/06/30 22:29:05 (permalink)
    As a Manhattan resident, allow me to weigh in...

I love the McHale's burger. It's relatively little known, so I'm impressed that Flatted Fifth knows of it.

A relatively new place worth trying is the Burger Joint, located in the Parker Meridien Hotel (118 W. 57th, around 6th Avenue). One of the neat things about it is that, while the hotel is fancy, the restaurant is most definitely not. It's the size of a postage stamp, and offers the following: burger, cheeseburger, fries, brownies, milkshakes (after 3 p.m.). That's it, other than soft drinks and various condiments for the burger. It's really good, inexpensive and worth the visit.

Another fun place to try in NYC is Prime Burger, on East 51st Street between Madison and Fifth. The burger is just OK, in my opinion, although others loves it. The reason to try it is because of the wacky set up. The front of the restaurant offers 50s-drive-in style seating (or, if you prefer, school-room style). You sit in a one-person booth, with a swivel tray.

kangolpimp
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 119
    RE: American Burger - Manhattan, NY 2003/07/12 16:21:30 (permalink)
    My three favorite burgers in New York are:

Corner Bistro 331 West 4th Street - Greenwich Village

Island Burgers and Shakes 766 9th Avenue - Hell's Kitchen

Peter Luger's 178 Broadway - Williamsburg, Brooklyn

warning: Island Burgers and Shakes does not serve french fries. If you are in the mood for just a burger and a shake, it is still highly recommended.

another warning: Peter Luger's only serves their burger at lunch. It is delicious and very inexpensive. I think it was exactly $5 last time I had it. Considering the price of their steaks (over $30) and the quality of their meat, the hamburger is a true bargain.
    Spudnut
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 655
    RE: American Burger - Manhattan, NY 2003/07/28 12:19:45 (permalink)
    AndyNYC1, thanks for the On The Park tip. I'll give it a try sometime.
    tonemonster808
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: American Burger - Manhattan, NY 2003/08/12 13:37:50 (permalink)
    agree with phil j...the burger joint at the parker meridien is outstanding. be prepared to wait for an hour in line if you don't have the secret phone number. i do cuz my dept. orders size from there once a week !
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    RE: American Burger - Manhattan, NY 2003/09/02 13:12:42 (permalink)

Sorry, the address is 100 West 32nd. Phone is 212-695-6933.
    Right on corner, across from Holiday Inn Martinique.

I can't go here because it is the site of what used to be Leo's Famous Hot Dogs, which had been there since the 1930's...I sure do miss them dogs!
    Hillbilly
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 992
    RE: American Burger - Manhattan, NY 2003/09/09 12:35:28 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by kangolpimp

My three favorite burgers in New York are:

Corner Bistro 331 West 4th Street - Greenwich Village

Island Burgers and Shakes 766 9th Avenue - Hell's Kitchen

Peter Luger's 178 Broadway - Williamsburg, Brooklyn

I went to the Corner Bistro Sunday night, and those are good burgers, worth the long wait and noisy crowd.
    Peter Luger's is better, but less convenient.
    hotdogger
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 88
    RE: American Burger - Manhattan, NY 2003/11/12 02:16:51 (permalink)
    Corner Bistro (331 West 4th Street) definitely has one of the best burgers in NYC. Their Bistro Burger comes with bacon, lettuce, tomato, onion, cheese and pickles on the side. Another great place for a burger in downtown Manhattan is Cozy Soup 'n' Burger on 739 Broadway, just below 8th Street. It's a bit overpriced but you'll leave with a full stomach. Make sure to try a cup of pea soup with croutons while you wait for your burger.
    Grampy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1559
    RE: American Burger - Manhattan, NY 2003/11/12 11:29:15 (permalink)
    As an ex-New Yorker, I would agree that Corner Bistro was the best place for an honest burger, but I also found Jackson Hole (the one on Columbus, and the one in the mid 60s on the East Side) to be reliable when the carnivore craving came on. In particular, I liked the Kaluba burger, with sautéed musshrooms and onions. Is that particular burger still around?
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1