American Craft Beer Discussion

Author
appsolutionsinc
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 10
Flagged as Spam (1)
2014/02/24 22:30:35 (permalink)

American Craft Beer Discussion

Hello all. I know I'm new here but I wanted to hopefully get a lively discussion going about american craft beer. Just about everyone at this point has acknowledged or at least noticed the explosive growth of this beer segment. What are you favorite breweries, styles, beers, etc? 

I would say my favorite breweries are Dogfish Head, Flying Fish, and Souther Tier. Dogfish 120min IPA is my favorite beer hands down! 

Andy G.
Hungry Town USA
App Solutions, Inc. 

13 Replies Related Threads

Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2983
    Re:American Craft Beer Discussion 2014/02/25 21:55:45 (permalink)
    120 is just too over the top for me. I like 90 if I'm drinking one, and 60 if I'm drinking two.

My experience is that the variety is almost overwhelming: it's almost easier to pick away from things like "Ralph Steadman font" or "goofy bro name" than it is to guess if an unknown is going to be good by looking at the packaging.

That being said, I feel confident choosing from:

Bell's
    Smuttynose
    Rogue
    Founder's
    Ommegang
    Terrapin
    Troegs
    Great Lakes
    Duck Rabbit
    Oskar Blues
    Stone
    Green Flash
    North Coast
    Lost Abbey
    Victory
    Ithaca Beer Co
    Bear Republic

Those are the ones I could think of. Dogfish Head makes some of my mostest favoritest brews (Burton Baton, 90, 60, Palo San Marron) and some of my least favorite (Midas Touch), so I can't buy their stuff without a reference.

IPAs have evolved to be the American style, I think. I'm surprised, if you'd asked me in the '70s I would have bet on lagers. Everyone was all about Germans and the reinheitsgebot, and purity, while the English brews were like, "Oh yeah, and over here we have the bottom fermented styles popular in the pubs." And the Belgians were discussed in hushed tones, you only read about lambics and monastery beers, they were rarely imported.

My personal preference is pretty eclectic, I like almost everything except Belgian sour beers (just don't like 'em) and American adjunct lagers. If forced to choose I would say the darker the better: stouts, strong porters, dopplebocks, stuff like that. But there's more fun in variety. I will enjoy a great pilsner for its clarity and simplicity just as much as I will enjoy a Baltic porter for its depth and complexity.

If you like the Dogfish Head beers, look for Ithaca Flower Power, if you haven't tried it yet. Honest to god, it's like someone discovered how to brew a beer that tastes like a meadow of wild flowers.
    mousec
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 303
    Re:American Craft Beer Discussion 2014/02/26 06:48:06 (permalink)
    Great topic! I'll post more later but some of the regional breweries out of Wi are terrific. A personal favorite is New Glarus. I also am starting to get into the Ale Aslyum brewery out of Madison. They just started shipping their products to IL, the Hopalicious is just terrific.
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5158
    Re:American Craft Beer Discussion 2014/02/26 09:24:07 (permalink)
    Mousec, it's worth the drive across the state line to pick up some of the other Ale Asylum beers if you're not seeing the full variety in your stores.  I don't know about Genoa City or Pell Lake but I'm sure there's at least one liquor store in Lake Geneva that's well-stocked.

I've never verified it but the common story is that the founders of Ale Asylum also started Great Dane way back when.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7911
    Re:American Craft Beer Discussion 2014/02/26 09:38:38 (permalink)
    Sadly several of the Brewery's I used to enjoy when I lived in Seattle are long gone including Grant's in Yakima and Thomas Kemper in Poulsbo. Thomas Kemper is still around  but they no longer brew beer- just soda
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6396
    Re:American Craft Beer Discussion 2014/02/26 10:12:46 (permalink)
    We have an explosion of small microbreweries (under 3500 barrels/year) in Minneapolis/St. Paul. At last count I think there were over 29 and more coming online. What is making them appealing are tap rooms and growler fills. I can't keep up with them other than the ones that bottle and can their brews. However, my hometown has Excelsior Brewing Co. here on Lake Minnetonka and I get my growlers filled every Thursday with Bitteschlappe, Bridge Jumper, Big Island Blonde, XLCR, Oar Lock, Shattered Solstice, Mr. Jimmy's and other brews to come on line. The brewery is a year and a half old.
    Davebassman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 195
    Re:American Craft Beer Discussion 2014/02/26 13:05:44 (permalink)
    Mosca
    Ithaca Beer Co 
    If you like the Dogfish Head beers, look for Ithaca Flower Power, if you haven't tried it yet. Honest to god, it's like someone discovered how to brew a beer that tastes like a meadow of wild flowers.

I've become quite a fan of Ithaca Beer Company since my son started attanding college in Ithaca. http://ithacabeer.com/
    Their "Nut Brown Ale" is currently my favorite. I have a six-pack of "Flower Power" that I haven't tried yet. 

WarToad
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1852
    Re:American Craft Beer Discussion 2014/02/26 14:18:36 (permalink)
    I'm a long time Rogue, Stone, and Sierra Nevada fan.
    tmiles
    • Total Posts : 2016
    Re:American Craft Beer Discussion 2014/02/27 10:57:32 (permalink)
    I find most "craft" beers to be over hopped for my taste. I realize that the "problem" is with me, and that I am in a minority to prefer Miller Lite. I have had a small taste of many a "great" beer, including homebrew, thanks to friends/family who share, but I just don't appreciate the flavor. Ditto for wine......it is a waste to get the good stuff when it will be highly diluted with fizzy water and fruit juice. Cheers
    brisketboy
    • Total Posts : 1117
    Re:American Craft Beer Discussion 2014/02/27 11:40:43 (permalink)
    There seem to be quite a few micro-breweries cropping up here in Austin alongside the food scene. Gastro-pus are becoming more and more popular. While I seldom hang out with the hipster crowd (too old) I have tried a few micro brews and they are quite good. One of my old stand-bys, the Shiner folks have just come out with a farmhouse beer called FM 966 that is quite good.
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5158
    Re:American Craft Beer Discussion 2014/02/27 12:18:48 (permalink)
    tmiles

I find most "craft" beers to be over hopped for my taste. I realize that the "problem" is with me, and that I am in a minority to prefer Miller Lite. I have had a small taste of many a "great" beer, including homebrew, thanks to friends/family who share, but I just don't appreciate the flavor.
    Do you care much for dark beer?  There are some porters and stouts that aren't too hoppy yet still have good flavor.

This website lists the bitterness of many styles of beers; maybe you might find something more to your liking?
    harriet1954
    • Total Posts : 1165
    Re:American Craft Beer Discussion 2014/02/27 12:58:30 (permalink)
    ScreamingChicken - thanks so much for putting that link up. I'm interested in trying new beers from all over, but to be honest, a quick glance at the chart pretty much confirms what my tastebuds have been telling me for the past few years; I like the Weissbieren style best so far! I will research the chart further later on. Thanks again for that.
    waltpiii
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 424
    Re:American Craft Beer Discussion 2014/02/27 13:40:25 (permalink)
    I enjoy The Broadbrook Brewing Company's offerings.  They have limited hours and are located in East Windsor, CT

Walt
    SeamusD
    • Total Posts : 1026
    Re:American Craft Beer Discussion 2014/03/31 10:22:39 (permalink)
    I'm not a fan of over-hopped beers either. I was in a craft beer club for a while, but the tendency seemed to be for people to suggest or bring in high alcohol content, way overly-hopped brews. I'd sample 3 or 4 (6 oz each) then leave with my head and stomach hurting.

That being said, I do love a good stout, and there are more than enough out there that are not hopped to death.  Southern Tier makes a Creme Brulee stout that even the most hops-averse beer fan would love.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1