The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

American History: Right to Eat Dinner

bartl

• Total Posts: 1209
American History: Right to Eat Dinner Sun, 10/27/13 4:26 PM (permalink)
OK, I'm looking for American history buffs: I recall way back in history class about an objection by a member of the 1st Constitutional Convention objecting to the Bill of Rights because it might be construed as all encompassing, and to make it so would require putting in ridiculously obvious rights. The one that I recall he mentioned as an example is the right to choose what you are going to eat for dinner. I can't seem to find it on the Internet, though; any history buffs remember anything like that? Thanks!

Bart

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17851
    Re:American History: Right to Eat Dinner Sun, 10/27/13 5:17 PM (permalink)
    Pennsylvania delegate James Wilson insisted that enumerating the rights of the people would be dangerous, claiming it would be believed that if a right wasn't listed there was no such right. I don't know about him referring to any specific "right."

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3707
      Re:American History: Right to Eat Dinner Sun, 10/27/13 5:36 PM (permalink)
      And the first eight amendments both state specific rights citizens have and explicitly forbid the Federal government (and its agents) from abridging or in any way interfering with them.

The Ninth Amendment:
      The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

And the Tenth Amendment:
      The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

individually and together address Mr. Wilson's concern.

bartl

• Total Posts: 1209
        Re:American History: Right to Eat Dinner Mon, 10/28/13 11:39 AM (permalink)
        MetroplexJim
        And the first eight amendments both state specific rights citizens have and explicitly forbid the Federal government (and its agents) from abridging or in any way interfering with them.

I am well familiar with the way the problem was addressed; I am specifically (which is why I brought it up here) looking for the food related quote. I know that there was more than one member of the Convention who had similar concerns, but I will add James Wilson to my searches and see what I can come up with.

Bart

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
          • No New Messages
          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
          • Locked w/ New Messages
          • Locked w/o New Messages
          • Read Message
          • Post New Thread
          • Reply to message
          • Post New Poll
          • Submit Vote
          • Post reward post
          • Delete my own posts
          • Delete my own threads
          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com