American Idol--Anyone watching?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5504
RE: American Idol--Anyone watching? 2006/05/15 17:44:46 (permalink)
Boy, these posts are way longer than I expected for this subject!

That said, there were no comments on my "American Oldies" idea.

That said, whats for dinner while watching AI, gotta have it made before the show starts! And, does anyone watch House next. I do. It's a great show I think!

That said, how about Bones after tha vote off AI. Better hurry and finish eating dinner before that starts!
Joe
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5563
RE: American Idol--Anyone watching? 2006/05/15 17:48:10 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Mosca

Hey, don't get me wrong; I LOVE AI and I don't miss an episode.

BUT. Although these people can sing, so can about fifty million other people. You'll find people just as talented, or more so, singing in churches, singing in local dinner theater musicals, in touring companies of Broadway shows, and in bars and at music festivals all over the world. What make the show worth watching for me are exactly the things that make it "false"; the judges, the banter, the staged competition. Think about it; if the original 12 were Ella Fitzgerald, Mel Torme, Elvis, Sinatra, Streisand, Tony Bennett, Diana Ross, Dinah Washington, Kiri TeKanewa, Whitney Houston, Paul Robeson, and Andrea Bocelli, eleven of those would go home. Instant drama! If it was really about rewarding good singers, ANYONE who was good enough would get a contract. The fun is in the eliminations.

Like I said, don't get me wrong, I love the show. I wish all the contestants well. I think they all sing well. I think Mary down at my church sings beautifully too, but she's not on TV. Too old. But she LOVES to sing. And I love to listen to her. Just like I love to listen to the people sing on AI.

Tom

I gotta agree and disagree with you Tom. Yes, there are many great singers, but did they audition? You can't win if you don't go and stand in line for a few days and try to win. They aired some of those Musical Theater people you laud, and they weren't all that good. (you know, the community theatre types) The Broadway stars weren't in-line auditioning for this.

And, yes, some people are aged out. This is supposed to be a show about up-and-comers. I couldn't audition either.

Also, it's not just the winner who gets a record deal. It's the winner who is guaranteed a deal, but A.I. has signed more than just the winners. Contracts have been given out to several other finalists. In addition, the finalists go on a national tour together, so the non-winners continue to get exposure even after they've been booted. They also get paid to come back on the show for marketing and ads. So, the finalists aren't all thrown on the street. Not to mention, that even if they weren't given a contract by A.I., many smaller labels would pick them up simply due to their national exposure.

I recently auditioned songs for a multi-discipline production I put up in DC. (in other words, songwriters sent songs in and I had to decide which songs to choose) I got hundreds and hundreds of songs from songwriters from all over the country who wanted us to use their songs. More than 80% was crap. OF that, most of it was mediocre. Only about 15-20 of the songwriters' material was of profesional quality. And it falls right in line with the percentage of professional to mediocre to crappy songs I listen to everyday at work. So, it's not like the submissions we got were abnormally low in quality. Plus, the songs we did pick were absolutely brilliant. They each captured a special moment of lyrics and music.

I agree that on principal there may be better singers out there, but these are the finalists from the people who actually auditioned.
I'm not some big Idol fan, but if reality-tv is here to stay, American Idol is a good show. It's the Amercian Bandstand of the 21st Century. The difference is, the American Bandstand bands were already established, and these kids are trying to break in for the first time.

Mosca
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2980
RE: American Idol--Anyone watching? 2006/05/15 19:38:13 (permalink)
Oh Scorereader, like I said, I absolutely love the show and wouldn't miss it. There have been some amazingly good performances, too.

I think that we agree quite a bit, and that the scope of the discussion (ie, my writing) is necessarily limited by the attention span given to writing on an internet forum. I'll defer to your experience on having seen more average singers than I have. The crux of my argument is that talent is not necessarily rewarded with popularity, and popularity doesn't alway reflect talent... but I guess that's not news, either.

But, for anyone who's a fan of Taylor Hicks, go to http://www.allmusic.com, search for "Mighty Sam McClain", and choose the album "Give it Up For Love"; click on the little speakers to listen to the title track, and then wonder why some people produce such amazing music in obscurity while Michael Bolton becomes a superstar. I could have picked any one of a hundred soul singers; Dalton Reed. James Carr. Laura Lee. Eddie Hinton.

Tom

roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: American Idol--Anyone watching? 2006/05/15 20:10:30 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by PapaJoe8

Boy, these posts are way longer than I expected for this subject!

That said, there were no comments on my "American Oldies" idea.

That said, whats for dinner while watching AI, gotta have it made before the show starts! And, does anyone watch House next. I do. It's a great show I think!

That said, how about Bones after tha vote off AI. Better hurry and finish eating dinner before that starts!
Joe

That was a great marketing ploy by fox to put House right after AI.
I only started watching it because it came on then. I think it is a good show and I really dont watch much "basic-network" TV.
I work so much at nights and dont get to see many programs on during the week nights.
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: American Idol--Anyone watching? 2006/05/15 20:34:32 (permalink)
quote:

The crux of my argument is that talent is not necessarily rewarded with popularity, and popularity doesn't alway reflect talent... but I guess that's not news, either.

I think we're on the same page too.
That's so true about popularity and talent. Like, Gwen Stephani, for example... How the hell she was on the same stage as Sting is beyond me?
That superbowl halftime show was very frustrating.

Believe me, I get mad when these pop stars are talentless and they are making millions. It makes me wonder....what am I doing wrong? or, should I be asking...what am I doing right? I dunno, but a nice midriff shouldn't make you a rock star.
Then again, I grew up in the 80's...back then it was hair!

PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: American Idol--Anyone watching? 2006/05/17 09:42:19 (permalink)
I thought Katherin sang "somewhere over the rainbow" real pretty!

I think you would like "Bones" also Roossy. You could record it and the AI vote off if your working on Wensday nights. I also don't watch much network TV but Bones, AI, and House are my exceptions. Travel Channel, National Geographic, and Discovery are what I watch mostly.

I still say they need an "American Oldies" for those to old to get on AI. But... they cant make the oldies stand in line for days! And, who would make good judges? Wayne Newton, Barbara Striesan, hmmm? Oh, Score maybe?
Joe
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: American Idol--Anyone watching? 2006/05/17 10:24:01 (permalink)
quote:

I still say they need an "American Oldies" for those to old to get on AI. But... they cant make the oldies stand in line for days! And, who would make good judges? Wayne Newton, Barbara Striesan, hmmm? Oh, Score maybe?
Joe

LOL!

roossy90
Sirloin
RE: American Idol--Anyone watching? 2006/05/17 19:24:00 (permalink)
Thanks Papa.. I might have to check Bones out.
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: American Idol--Anyone watching? 2006/05/17 21:57:24 (permalink)
Wow.... I never thought Elliot would be going home. The voiting was so close.
I thought he had it in the bag!
Now it will be a tough one to see who wins. I have no clue anymore.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: American Idol--Anyone watching? 2006/05/18 12:36:18 (permalink)
Right Roossy, real close! I liked them giving the numbers. And yep, tough to say who's gona win. Maybe it will be whoever does the best next week? maybe???

Last night was the end of the season for Bones, Maybe they will show the reruns?
Joe
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: American Idol--Anyone watching? 2006/05/19 12:41:44 (permalink)
quote:

Right Roossy, real close! I liked them giving the numbers. And yep, tough to say who's gona win. Maybe it will be whoever does the best next week? maybe???

Last night was the end of the season for Bones, Maybe they will show the reruns?
Joe

Will and Grace ended last night (Thursday)-forever!.... Kinda disappointing ending, like most end of show finales are. THe recap over the years was entertaining, as were the bloopers.
I will miss Will and Grace, as I missed Frasier.. It was a very unique show for sure.
Now back to Idol.
I cant make the call. It is just too close. Personally, as much as I like Katharines voice, I would love to see Taylor win it.
Thats who gets my vote!

Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: American Idol--Anyone watching? 2006/05/19 13:46:20 (permalink)
As far as who is polished already today to be in the spotlight, Katharine. That's why she'll win, but I'd like Taylor to even the score of men and women idols - for balance.

Mosca
Filet Mignon
RE: American Idol--Anyone watching? 2006/05/20 09:39:44 (permalink)
Anyone figure out that the reason the votes were essentially 33.3/33.3/33.3 was that the lines were overloaded? No word on whether there were twice as many Eliot voters trying to get in as there were Taylor voters. Just that all lines were all busy for all of the 2 hours.

Tom

roossy90
Sirloin
RE: American Idol--Anyone watching? 2006/05/21 13:39:45 (permalink)
quote:

Anyone figure out that the reason the votes were essentially 33.3/33.3/33.3 was that the lines were overloaded? No word on whether there were twice as many Eliot voters trying to get in as there were Taylor voters. Just that all lines were all busy for all of the 2 hours.

Tom

I thought it was 33.68, 33.06, 33.26....or something like that.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: American Idol--Anyone watching? 2006/05/21 15:39:43 (permalink)
Mosca, we got through from my house but, right, they need to fix that! Only kids would spend 2 hrs hitting the redail button, (I think????). And, that would level out the votes to if only a certain # of calls could get through on each line. Hmmm......
Joe
Mosca
Filet Mignon
RE: American Idol--Anyone watching? 2006/05/21 23:24:27 (permalink)
Essentially, roos. Point still being, if all lines are saturated then no clear favorite emerges, even if there are 5 times as many busy signals for one contestant as there might be for another. A test that everyone gets 100% on doesn't test anything.

It's the booming popularity of the show that is doing it. I don't think that they expected to need more bandwidth.

Tom
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: American Idol--Anyone watching? 2006/05/22 12:40:15 (permalink)
quote:

Essentially, roos. Point still being, if all lines are saturated then no clear favorite emerges, even if there are 5 times as many busy signals for one contestant as there might be for another. A test that everyone gets 100% on doesn't test anything.

It's the booming popularity of the show that is doing it. I don't think that they expected to need more bandwidth.

Tom

Ah hell, It's probably fixed anyway!
I guess we will see Wednesday night.
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6371
RE: American Idol--Anyone watching? 2006/05/24 07:45:24 (permalink)
Prediction: Taylor Hicks wins it. I would be very surprised if it were otherwise.

DialIdol.com has Taylor winning in a runaway and they have been 86% accurate this year through 22 rounds.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: American Idol--Anyone watching? 2006/05/24 10:14:46 (permalink)
They take bets on this stuff yall no! Want to bet the fav you gotta lay odds. Hmm, I wonder what you need to lay if you like Taylor?
joe
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: American Idol--Anyone watching? 2006/05/24 22:29:40 (permalink)
It was Taylor Hicks. He is the American Idol this year. You would be a sucker to lay odds when websites like DialIdol.com pretty much nail the results through their computer dialing program that people use. You don't have to sample all that much to find out. That's why polls generally only sample 1,000 people and have an accuracy within 3 percentage points. DialIdol.com missed only in the early rounds when they started out with 24 people. When they got to the final 10 they nailed it every time including Chris Daughtry's demise.
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: American Idol--Anyone watching? 2006/05/24 22:50:46 (permalink)
I thought he was gonna win.. judging from Simons remarks last week when he sang his debut single...
I thought the finale show was kinda cool actually...
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: American Idol--Anyone watching? 2006/05/25 09:38:57 (permalink)
The public really took to Taylor. I'm glad for him. He's struggled to make it as a musician, and now he's there.
Here are some things that'll happen to help his career: he'll drop a few pounds (not that he's fat, but a little weight loss will help thin his face a little)and someone will show him how to dance a little so he's not flailing around quite so much - but a little flailing is what make Taylor Hicks himself.

I just heard his album from 2005. I think his songs are good. I really like that this guy actually writes his own songs. So, I'm so glad he won. A songwriter, instrumentalist and singer, a truely musical guy, not just a cookie cutter voice box.
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: American Idol--Anyone watching? 2006/05/25 19:46:45 (permalink)
I was surprised when they said he was only 29.
But then again, I knew a guy that was silver haired at 19.
BhamBabe
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 879
RE: American Idol--Anyone watching? 2006/05/25 20:59:11 (permalink)
Taylor has been going grey headed since he was 15. AI raised the age to 28 to audition, he just made the cut off date.

I'm so excited he won! I have both of his other cds and seen him live many times. He's so fun and personable and very humble. I'm kinda sad too though, no more going to see him in little cozy bars up close. I'll miss that.

Man, the soul patrol thing was unreal here! 12,000 people showed up on his hometown visit, it was crazy!

I wish him much luck. Now on to Canadian Idol!
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: American Idol--Anyone watching? 2006/05/25 21:46:13 (permalink)
Forget Canadian Idol, My old hometown newspaper in Brevard County (Spacecoast area), Florida is sponsoring a local "Brevard Idol"..

Ouch! My ears!
http://www.floridatoday.com/multimedia/052406idol/idolindex.htm
Uh, Simon says NO!
jerseygirl127
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 454
RE: American Idol--Anyone watching? 2006/05/26 10:56:19 (permalink)
GOTTA LOVE TAYLOR-- GO SOUL PATROL... i have liked him since the beginning- although had not picked him to go all the way--I was totally surprised and very happy when his name was announced.. he deserved to win and i think the country needs another 'crazy star' like he is-- not afraid to totally just BE HIMSELF...he has personality (not that any of the other top 10 didn't but his is UNIQUE) he'll be a great idol-- and that song that he sung-- "DO I MAKE YOU PROUD?" talk about a PERFECT FIT...
ROCK ON SOUL PATROL!!!!!
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: American Idol--Anyone watching? 2006/05/27 18:00:10 (permalink)
I pulled for Taylor from his initial audition being a white haired soul brother who knew gray in high school. Taylor may be all white by 40 by my guess ala Steve Martin. I know. I understand the makeup people wanted to gradually darken his hair and he resisted.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1