American Idol--Anyone watching?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
2006/05/11 20:00:16 (permalink)

American Idol--Anyone watching?

This is my first year watching "Idol" on a regular basis, and just got caught up in it.
Anyone watching it?, and who are/were your favorites and who is your pick for this year?
I remember one of our members here mentioning Paris, and she did have a wonderful voice, and was sorry to see her go.
I am surprised that this many men were in the final four.
My pick, but not my favorite, to win is Elliot.
I am surprised that Katharine was not voted off this week,. She too has a lovely voice, but just thought she was going to say goodbye.

56 Replies Related Threads

Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6426
    RE: American Idol--Anyone watching? 2006/05/11 21:05:57 (permalink)
    I confess. I watch it. From the preliminary audtions on Taylor Hicks was my pick. Gray haired guys have to stick together.

I would be surprised if Taylor did not win. Elliot and Katherine have been in the bottom picks in previous weeks. The fact that Taylor did an encore performance of Jailhouse Rock by request that Simon didn't like is testimony he is a fan favorite and he is more versatile and has more stage presence personality despite is Joe Cocker mannerisms than the others. Elliot has a good voice but is way unpolished as a performer. Katherine too has a good voice but seems to klutz her song choices and singing. Chris went off last night because that predictable intense rock ballad growling of every song finally wore thin. Dialidol.com has been a consistently good predictor and Taylor has been a consistently top vote getter week in and week out.

What could change the outcome? A total goofup by Taylor but I doubt that will happen at this stage. Elliot rolling in as a lovable underdog or women getting behind Katherine. I doubt the latter. At this stage none of them seem to have the ability to distance themselves from the others.
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: American Idol--Anyone watching? 2006/05/11 21:09:23 (permalink)
    Taylor be my pick also, but I think that it is going to be very close with him and Elliott, as it seems, and not to offend anyone, that the teenybopper's, younger people will vote for the younger male.
    Who knows, we may all be surprised...
    Ok, you closet IDOL Fans, come on out..
    I did!, and so did Davy!--LOL
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: American Idol--Anyone watching? 2006/05/11 21:18:45 (permalink)
    I totally confess that I have NEVER watched the program in discussion here. My only comment? WHO give's a RA ?
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    RE: American Idol--Anyone watching? 2006/05/11 21:28:12 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Adjudicator

I totally confess that I have NEVER watched the program in discussion here. My only comment? WHO give's a RA ?

Number one show on TV right now and about 45 million votes every week?

I admit though I do not vote.
    Alexander_point
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: American Idol--Anyone watching? 2006/05/11 22:54:08 (permalink)
    yeah I agree it is the number 1 show nowadays! and I really love Chris for this season!
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: American Idol--Anyone watching? 2006/05/12 03:19:30 (permalink)
    quote:

GAWD
    This is the thread for off topic discussions in case you didnt know.
    Is everyone being bitchy for a reason lately?
    Personally, I give a RA..OK?
    Otherwise, I would not have posted this topic.
    Mr chips, you may win your bet..

offlady
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 343
    RE: American Idol--Anyone watching? 2006/05/12 04:10:08 (permalink)
    I'm not ashamed to say I watch it every week ever since the first season. Chris was my pick and I will buy his CD. His rendition of Walk the Line was fantastic.

If Taylor ends up being one of last 2 finalists, I wonder if he will dye his hair. Unless he considers it a good luck charm.
    MandalayVA
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 368
    RE: American Idol--Anyone watching? 2006/05/12 07:25:13 (permalink)
    American Karaoke Idol is all over the place here since Elliot's from Richmond. I don't watch the show but it's impossible to ignore coverage of it or avoid co-workers talking about it. But all it is when you think about it is a karaoke show and then at the end whoever wins gets to release a bland "original" single. I won't deny the smart ones parlay winning or coming in the final rounds into bigger and better things (e.g. Kelly Clarkson, who couldn't shake the AI "hitmakers" fast enough because they didn't want her writing her own songs and said she'd bomb without them; she went on to co-write the majority of songs on "Breakaway" and it's sold five million and won her Grammys), but winning is no guarantee of success. Out of the four who have won only Kelly Clarkson has been really successful, although Carrie Underwood will probably have a nice career because country's not that demanding of a genre. Personally, I'd find AI more interesting if it were more like a Battle of the Bands situation, with original music. THAT I would watch.
    V960
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: American Idol--Anyone watching? 2006/05/12 09:26:18 (permalink)
    My wife and daughters watch it. I'd rather clean the kitchen and watch a forty year old John Wayne movie on tape.
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    RE: American Idol--Anyone watching? 2006/05/12 12:21:03 (permalink)
    Ok, Ok, I make sure dinner is ready before it starts and take the night off from net poker. I have watched it since the 1st season. I'm not a big fan though, it's no big deal!

They had one season of American Juniors so..... how about a new show called "American Oldies" ???
    Joe
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: American Idol--Anyone watching? 2006/05/12 13:09:29 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Alexander_point

yeah I agree it is the number 1 show nowadays! and I really love Chris for this season!

Apparently he was offered a job with Tool or Fuel, I forgot which one.
    BhamBabe
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 879
    RE: American Idol--Anyone watching? 2006/05/12 18:08:19 (permalink)
    Fuel offered Chris the job. After the concert series with AI of course.

I watch, not just because Taylor is a hometown guy, but I happen to know him and support him because he's a good guy. I say if they offer you a chance to grab a dream...no matter how corny others think it, grab it.

I'd also rather my children watched this than some of the other shows on tv. When you have to choose between gratuitous sex, cursing or horrible plots, this isn't so bad.
    dreamzpainter
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: American Idol--Anyone watching? 2006/05/12 19:35:51 (permalink)
    I would rather watch a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of L&O or CSI than any of the "Reality" show mental pablums...jmho
    Big Dave
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 142
    RE: American Idol--Anyone watching? 2006/05/12 19:37:57 (permalink)
    I wouldn't watch it if Rupert Murdoch paid me himself. I'll settle for Archie Bunker on DVD.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    RE: American Idol--Anyone watching? 2006/05/12 19:49:38 (permalink)
    I like the way Big Dave thinks.
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: American Idol--Anyone watching? 2006/05/13 03:47:44 (permalink)
    The other morning I turned on the radio before rolling out of bed and was treated with "SHOCKER so and so was eliminated from Idol". I then smiled and thought it's got to be a very slow news day, thats good for us. I'd rather watch an infomercial than Idol. Chow Jim
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    RE: American Idol--Anyone watching? 2006/05/13 11:37:31 (permalink)
    American Idol is entertainment more than reality TV. Reality TV is made up of generally nobodies that get there 15 minutes of Andy Warhol fame and then disappear. Most all the AI contestants that make the final cut have talent and now they are getting exposure to millions. They are also being discussed, dissected, flamed, and praised in message boards and blogs and mainstream entertainment writers. One wins it all but they are all winners to varying degree and they are getting their break. Many will fade away. Some will stick. Watch the last 5 minutes of Letterman or Saturday Night Live's weekly entertainment that often brings on seldom seen on TV music talent and you will realize the AI group may be more talented than the many that appear on those kind of shows. I am pretty sure Ashley Simpson would have never made the AI cut.
    Kaileen
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 61
    RE: American Idol--Anyone watching? 2006/05/14 00:05:30 (permalink)
    Love it: watched it since Season 2. And I also would rather watch this show about kids (Kids! Showing my age, ain't I?) trying their best and showing some real talent than other stuff that's on TV. Other than Idol, it's Alton Brown and the Food Network.

Anyhow, I've really liked Taylor: he's an entertainer, not just a singer. Chris has a great voice, don't get me wrong: but he's better off not winning. The winner is stuck in a contract with Simon Fuller that is nearly impossible to break. And Chris will do a fantastic job with Fuel. For the same reason, even though I've always felt Taylor was the best, he'd do fine without that contract.
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: American Idol--Anyone watching? 2006/05/14 04:42:27 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by dreamzpainter

I would rather watch a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of L&O or CSI than any of the "Reality" show mental pablums...jmho

That isnt reality tv.
    They dont eat pig U****** or cow tail bones or madagascar roaches.
    I have never watched A.I. before this season, and I have heard some really good singers, with lovely voices, that should be living their lifes dream.
    Even if someone controls it for several years...

And, No.. it is a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat, that I taped the 10th repeat of the episode that I taped last night of a repeat. ( I am a huge L&O fan)
    I think it is refreshing to hear those voices.
    Even if some of them dont sound all that great.
    Can you sing as well as they do?
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2983
    RE: American Idol--Anyone watching? 2006/05/14 10:36:48 (permalink)
    Sorry roos, it IS reality TV. It is in the sense that you are steered towards and away from personalities in order to manipulate a "story".

A couple cases in point:

There has been an effort on the part of the producers to sabotage Taylor Hicks. Twice he has had to change his song the day before airing. Now that the Hicks bandwagon appears unstoppable, they are getting on board (witness the fake "request" at the results show).

Ace Young's last performance, the Queen song, was sabotaged. He was supposed to get a nice light show and special effects, like Chris Daughtry gets; when he started singing, all the house lights came up instead! And the dialogue beforehand, with Brian May, was edited to make it look like May thought Ace was stupid (there is an account of it on Brian May's blog).

Two of the original contestants had back stories that were at least as heart-rending as Kellie Pickler's; Gedeon McKinney lost everything in Hurricane Katrina, and his father died inbetween the auditions and the start of the competition. Both of Melissa McKee's parents have been in and out of prison her whole life.

There is strong evidence that Kevin Covais did NOT receive the lowest number of votes the week he was eliminated, but there is a disclaimer at the end that the producers do not have to follow the results of the voters if they don't want to.

You gotta figure one thing: If the premise is staged, and the story is all in the editing, then it's reality TV. The other thing is called a documentary, and this ain't it.

I love the show, and look forward to it every week; but I don't make it to be any more than what it is, mindless entertainment. It is the "rock candy" of the confectionary world, sugar and water and artificial flavoring.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    RE: American Idol--Anyone watching? 2006/05/14 11:17:14 (permalink)
    "It is the "rock candy" of the confectionary world, sugar and water and artificial flavoring."

As is all of most TV these days. I.E. "mindless entertainment".
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    RE: American Idol--Anyone watching? 2006/05/14 12:56:50 (permalink)
    Yep. It's there for those of us who want it, and easy to pass by for those who don't.

Tom
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    RE: American Idol--Anyone watching? 2006/05/14 13:07:58 (permalink)
    quote:

"It is the "rock candy" of the confectionary world, sugar and water and artificial flavoring."

Unless you watch it how would you know?

Mosca,

I have to agree with you that it is entertainment and is staged in a big way to be entertainment but it is not reality TV in the sense of bringing people in to act out in stupid ways, eat the bugs, and then disappear from our lives forever.

This year the judges do seem to be going overboard in trying to influence but I think the voting public is going to have its way and I don't think any special interest group within that voting public is going to sway the final result. In our corporate HQ our corporate web page has a weekly vote on a subject. Since I get in the office at 6 AM Monday morning I usually am one of the first 200-500 voters and see the percentage result of 5 choices right away. What amazes me is that early sampling of percentages generally holds up without change even after 3,000 votes are cast. Dialidol.com has a small sampling yet they have an accuracy of 85% in 21 votes. Most of their misses were in the early vote rounds but have gotten very accurate as the number of contestants get smaller. They had Chris voted off within 15 minutes of the start of the vote and the count held up after the two hours.

Hey, when this is over we have Rockstar somethingbandorother to look forward to. " />
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: American Idol--Anyone watching? 2006/05/15 03:44:01 (permalink)
    quote:

Mindless entertainment is Jerry Springer.
    Not unknown talent that is being discovered.

Mosca..
    Thanks for the 411 on the disclaimer. I had never seen it. As I mentioned in my original post, this is the first year I have actually watched it from the git-go.
    A far as those sob storied and heart wrenching tales, they have NO bearing on me.
    All I hear are human beings that can sing and want to, and I enjoy watching it.
    As, I also enjoy listening to NPR and the classical music station.
    So.. what is the problem here>
    Not enough champagne and ballet for you Adjudicator>
    Too declasse' for your taste?
    There is a real world out there for those of you that live in glass houses.
    jerseygirl127
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 454
    RE: American Idol--Anyone watching? 2006/05/15 08:16:35 (permalink)
    OK-- I have an idea for the people that mentioned not wanting to watch this-- CHANGE THE CHANNEL-- Lord knows there are enough of them out there now to pick from!
    For those that Do watch-- I think this is the BEST season yet.. This is the second season that I've watched it (along with my husband and two sons 10 and 14 yrs old) and it is VERY hard to pick the winner.. I had first gone with Chris and Katherine to go all the way- but as the final weeks approached- Chris got a little too "rock like" for me and Elliot turned it on.. I have to admit, I have a strong feeling about Taylor too! There's something about him that is appealing and apparently I am not the only one that feels this way or he would have been gone weeks ago.. I was a little shocked, however, that it was Chris and not Katherine that went home last week and I honestly think she was a little shocked too!
    Whoever wins-- the others will do JUST FINE on their own-- They are ALL talented and there are people out there waiting to sign them!
    My pick for the final two-- Taylor and Elliot-- other than that- I can't pick my winner without seeing the final performances.... :)
    Have a good week and Enjoy the show!!!
    ~~Jerseygirl127~~
    dreamzpainter
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: American Idol--Anyone watching? 2006/05/15 08:29:28 (permalink)
    No reason to change the channel because I read the tv guide and head right for the reruns or maybe the history channel(more reruns)

Yes Roo I do!!! at least my dog seems to think so...she howls along while I'm singin in the shower
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: American Idol--Anyone watching? 2006/05/15 11:53:56 (permalink)
    My 2 cents. Will not watch the show. And for the folks that tune into it, your the reason they're still burning up the airwaves. Now that my 2 cents have expired....
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5566
    RE: American Idol--Anyone watching? 2006/05/15 12:08:20 (permalink)
    At least you need some talent to win this contest. Unlike most of the other reality TV stuff, where talent means nothing. I also like the family friendly musical choices by the producers. Staged or not, so far, the winners have been the right ones. Kelly Clarkson is much better than Justing Guarini, and Ruben was definately the best singer of his bunch.

And, for the record, I almost always agree with Simon. For some reason, he's the only one who won't routinely sugar coat a bad performance.

Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    RE: American Idol--Anyone watching? 2006/05/15 14:23:32 (permalink)
    Hey, don't get me wrong; I LOVE AI and I don't miss an episode.

BUT. Although these people can sing, so can about fifty million other people. You'll find people just as talented, or more so, singing in churches, singing in local dinner theater musicals, in touring companies of Broadway shows, and in bars and at music festivals all over the world. What make the show worth watching for me are exactly the things that make it "false"; the judges, the banter, the staged competition. Think about it; if the original 12 were Ella Fitzgerald, Mel Torme, Elvis, Sinatra, Streisand, Tony Bennett, Diana Ross, Dinah Washington, Kiri TeKanewa, Whitney Houston, Paul Robeson, and Andrea Bocelli, eleven of those would go home. Instant drama! If it was really about rewarding good singers, ANYONE who was good enough would get a contract. The fun is in the eliminations.

Mid-season, I tuned into BStarz and watched a performer I'd never heard of before, India.Arie, do an absolutely devastating performance of Strange Fruit. No one in any season of AI could even get on the same stage with her. How many other performers like that are out there? For every Taylor Hicks (and I love him) there is Jimmie Thackeray and a thousand others like him, doing the same thing a hundred times better for a thousandth of the recognition. Taylor Hicks, as much as I love having a guy like him on the show, is about as good as Duke Tumatoe, a Chicago Blues guy from the '70s. When you went to see the blues back then, if it was Saturday you got Luther Allison, Fenton Robinson, Son Seals... if it was Tuesday you got Duke Tumatoe and the All Star Frogs.

Like I said, don't get me wrong, I love the show. I wish all the contestants well. I think they all sing well. I think Mary down at my church sings beautifully too, but she's not on TV. Too old. But she LOVES to sing. And I love to listen to her. Just like I love to listen to the people sing on AI.

Tom
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1